PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Grant's work ethic

CaptainKickass
07-14-2009, 11:13 AM
Cool article from Sports Illustrated about Grant, and how his father factored into his becoming an athlete. Good read.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/andrew_lawrence/07/09/grant/index.html?eref=T1

bobblehead
07-14-2009, 12:02 PM
not a bad read. I still think they overpaid him, but hopefully he is healthy and back in '07 form this year.

Merlin
07-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Grant is no AP but he is still a solid back. My worries are the offensive line and if we will once again have to sit through yet another "offensive" performance by them for something like the 4-5th year in a row. We were lucky Rodgers wasn't hurt worse last season, let's hope "another year under their belt" will be the charm (again).

CaptainKickass
07-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Grant is indeed more than servicable at RB. But I agree that the OL is a big question mark.

I'm quite perplexed at the fact that we have outstanding corners/good secondary, outstanding receivers, the LB corps that we have, decent fullbacks etc...

BUT - the Offensive and Defensive Lines have arguably been questionable throughout TT's tenure. Maybe the D-line changes this year as we seem to be loaded on paper - but I don't think anyone can judge that until the games are played.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this is the year the OL "finally" gels, becomes cohesive, finds their groove, or whatever.

MichiganPackerFan
07-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Ryan Grant is only as good as his O-Line. Two seasons ago, he was excellent at following his blocking and accelerating once a hole was opened for him. His longer runs usually resulted from the OL or FB getting a good seal at the second level and allowing him to burst through a hole. I've never seen him create much of anything by himself. He is completely overpaid. I would like to see more of the younger, scrappier kids and see if they've got a couple strong seasons in them. The lifespan of a RB is pretty short and fresh legs matter. All that said, I still think Grant can still perform better than he did in 2008, but it will require much better play from the O-line. Someone who can use the O-line is still better than someone who can't puts his head down and runs into the D-line...

CaptainKickass
07-16-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm wondering how much of a part this work ethic played in him getting that new contract? I wish there was a metric for NFL players "work ethic" so we could compare some players to other players. Obviously coaches want the players with the best work ethic to set a standard with the team etc etc.

Deputy Nutz
07-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Ryan Grant is only as good as his O-Line. Two seasons ago, he was excellent at following his blocking and accelerating once a hole was opened for him. His longer runs usually resulted from the OL or FB getting a good seal at the second level and allowing him to burst through a hole. I've never seen him create much of anything by himself. He is completely overpaid. I would like to see more of the younger, scrappier kids and see if they've got a couple strong seasons in them. The lifespan of a RB is pretty short and fresh legs matter. All that said, I still think Grant can still perform better than he did in 2008, but it will require much better play from the O-line. Someone who can use the O-line is still better than someone who can't puts his head down and runs into the D-line...

If your the same dude from back in the JSO day, welcome to Packerrats!!! The mexican would be happy to see you around, to bad he is not here to see you. We kicked him out.

Merlin
07-17-2009, 02:24 PM
The switch the 3-4 should help our DL issues, although it creates a host of other ones. I am glad we have Capers running the show on defense because the guy is a good coach and if anyone can make this work he can. The OL? Tauscher is probably done since they haven't signed him yet and show no signs of doing so (won't be ready till mid season anyway), Clifton is more then likely in his last year since it's his contract year, everyone thinks Wells stinks (I think he's ok), Spitz might be a better option @ Center but he stinks anywhere else, Colledge showed some promise but hasn't shown he is a starter. Other then that, it's kind of a craps shoot what to do. I guess after the past 4 seasons of the OL either being mediocre or outright sucking, I can't seem to get excited about this bunch coming into the 2009 Season.

CaptainKickass
07-17-2009, 02:51 PM
The switch the 3-4 should help our DL issues, although it creates a host of other ones. I am glad we have Capers running the show on defense because the guy is a good coach and if anyone can make this work he can. The OL? Tauscher is probably done since they haven't signed him yet and show no signs of doing so (won't be ready till mid season anyway), Clifton is more then likely in his last year since it's his contract year, everyone thinks Wells stinks (I think he's ok), Spitz might be a better option @ Center but he stinks anywhere else, Colledge showed some promise but hasn't shown he is a starter. Other then that, it's kind of a craps shoot what to do. I guess after the past 4 seasons of the OL either being mediocre or outright sucking, I can't seem to get excited about this bunch coming into the 2009 Season.

So maybe the Pack needs to hire Ryan Grant's dad to whoop some ass and really motivate them linemen!

:D

MichiganPackerFan
07-17-2009, 03:07 PM
If your the same dude from back in the JSO day, welcome to Packerrats!!! The mexican would be happy to see you around, to bad he is not here to see you. We kicked him out.

The one and same (for better or worse). Matteo got booted? I'd love to here what people have been up to for the last couple of years and how the forum has progressed. Looks like in my absence I've lost some forum privileges (I take blame for that). Can't remember, aside from MTP, who were the founders of PR? Whatever happened to JSO? Too polluted?

CaptainKickass
07-17-2009, 03:15 PM

The one and same (for better or worse). Matteo got booted? I'd love to here what people have been up to for the last couple of years and how the forum has progressed. Looks like in my absence I've lost some forum privileges (I take blame for that). Can't remember, aside from MTP, who were the founders of PR? Whatever happened to JSO? Too polluted?

In a nutshell -

There's a "core" group here that ...shall we say - mass exodus-ed from JSO and ended up here for several reasons. MTP has been replaced by the omnipotent entity known as "ADMINISTRATOR" (Pretty menacing name wouldn't you agree?)

I'll let everyone else fill you in on the details - because I frankly don't remember you from JSO. But welcome here anyway, even tho your name says you've been around here since 2006.

MichiganPackerFan
07-17-2009, 03:32 PM
I'm gathering from some past threads was that the Mexican was actually MTP himself? Always dug that cat! Did Texas ever make it over here or is he still stuck in that FYI thread on JSO?

Bretsky
07-17-2009, 05:20 PM
I'm gathering from some past threads was that the Mexican was actually MTP himself? Always dug that cat! Did Texas ever make it over here or is he still stuck in that FYI thread on JSO?

Hey Michigan,

Nice to see ya again !!!

Welcome :!:

MichiganPackerFan
07-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks Bretsky!

Just reading a few old threads to see what I've been missing. What the hell happened to this place? I know when I took a leave from JSO, the regulars were getting along pretty well. A couple of newbies came along that were a regular pain in the ass. While the regulars didn't always agree or even get along, we'd make a couple of Yo Mamma jokes and move on. (Except for that damn FYI thread!!!)

I know I had a lot of fun on that (hoping to get back into it!) and drank WAY too many beers on the weekends (You always called me out on that one!!!)

Feels rather weird only having a two digit post number on here, but I'm grateful that enough of you have remembered me in a good, if not alcohol blurry ; ) light!

CaptainKickass
07-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Hey Michigan -

Check this thread for the dramatic low-down from the poster named Jack's Smirking Revenge. His take on why he left JSO and what happened between there and here:

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=152

Cheers!

Bretsky
07-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks Bretsky!

Just reading a few old threads to see what I've been missing. What the hell happened to this place? I know when I took a leave from JSO, the regulars were getting along pretty well. A couple of newbies came along that were a regular pain in the ass. While the regulars didn't always agree or even get along, we'd make a couple of Yo Mamma jokes and move on. (Except for that damn FYI thread!!!)

I know I had a lot of fun on that (hoping to get back into it!) and drank WAY too many beers on the weekends (You always called me out on that one!!!)

Feels rather weird only having a two digit post number on here, but I'm grateful that enough of you have remembered me in a good, if not alcohol blurry ; ) light!

Things are fine here; here's my fifty word synopsis.

Mad came over and ran this joint for a while but got burned out....much of this was because some of the tassling among posters...which maxed out in the past year with all the fights over Brett Favre. He sold the site a bit ago and is taking a break I think.

Things are getting better here in terms of the tassling; of our old poster group in that AP threadI think you will remember

BF4MVP - Who it too busy with the college babes to be around here a lot
007- I still think she digs girls :lol:
Scott Campbell
Nutz
GB Michelle
Harvey Wallbanger

and there are many others from JS you will recognize as well

Tex made it over here but has not posted much in the offseason. You can look him up if you wanted and I'm sure he'll be back during the season. I think he's depressed that the democrats now run the show

BTW, I finally got a baby boy 18 months ago; today he got his first haircut and has a mohawk.

MichiganPackerFan
07-17-2009, 05:56 PM
I couldn't think of the name of that AP thread for the life of me. You'd take a few hours off and the other handful of people would have added 20 pages!! Laughed my ass off for sure!

Yeah, I've seen a dozen, maybe two, of people that I know. And enjoy.

Guess BF4 finally learned how to party?

Too bad MTP got burned out, after seeing some of the posts here, I certainly wouldn't want to run this thing.

My biggest disappointment is not seeing HH's Huckleberry Hound avatar!

TPB never posts much during the offseason, and I hope he stays depressed (politically) for eight years and then some!

Congrads on your son! I'm guessing the young lad is swimming in various sporting goods and apparel, either two sizes to big or one too small?

I am really excited to see how many are still here!

Looks like I can hit the site with my BlackBerry too, so that opens up some opportunities!

Looking forward to more great laughs and discussions.

MichiganPackerFan
07-17-2009, 06:04 PM
Hey Michigan -

Check this thread for the dramatic low-down from the poster named Jack's Smirking Revenge. His take on why he left JSO and what happened between there and here:

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=152

Cheers!

Yeah, that was getting pretty filthy towards the end. I remember comments about JSR's personal info getting posted and threads continuously sabotaged. I signed up here as soon as MTP and 007 let me know where we'd escaped to, but never had the time to remain involved.

Looks like things got rather ugly here too. But I'm looking forward to some good discussions and good fun!

GrnBay007
07-17-2009, 06:25 PM
007- I still think she digs girls :lol:

She does not!! :butt:

You chick on chick lovin perv!!

GrnBay007
07-17-2009, 06:27 PM
My biggest disappointment is not seeing HH's Huckleberry Hound avatar!

It will be back I'm sure. He just put this new one up a day or so ago....feeling a lil feminine or something. :?: :P

Aaron12odgers
07-17-2009, 10:01 PM
JSO has become SportsBubbler.

Fritz
07-18-2009, 10:40 AM
I think that as training camp nears, and as some of the boredom dissipates, we can go back to arguing vociferously over whether Adrian Barbe or Brent Giacomini should start at right tackle, instead of calling each other names, which happened a lot for a while and got tiring, I think, for Mad. Heck, for a lot of people.

And Barbre for right tackle, by the way!

Bretsky
07-18-2009, 02:51 PM
I think that as training camp nears, and as some of the boredom dissipates, we can go back to arguing vociferously over whether Adrian Barbe or Brent Giacomini should start at right tackle, instead of calling each other names, which happened a lot for a while and got tiring, I think, for Mad. Heck, for a lot of people.

And Barbre for right tackle, by the way!

Just for old time sakes

Draft Michael Crabtree :!: :lol: