PDA

View Full Version : The new and improved Adrian Peterson

hoosier
07-14-2009, 12:59 PM
USA Today did an article in early June exploring Adrian Peterson's plans to put on ten pounds during the offseason--an idea he eventually discarded. Apparently the plan originated during a poolside talk at Pro Bowl, when some defensive players from the AFC suggested that he would be even more intimidating at 230 then at 220. Peterson reportedly was very excited by what they were telling him and began to envision himself as an even more unstoppable force. "I don't think too many guys would be too excited to see me at 230 pounds twice a year. I'll be pretty nasty." His father put an end to it all by warning him that he would be sacrificing his speed and agility, and that his defensive "buddies" from the other conference were really having a little fun with him. The article paints a not so flattering picture of Peterson's judgment and maturity.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/vikings/2009-06-02-sw-adrian-peterson_N.htm

SMACKTALKIE
07-14-2009, 02:08 PM
"I asked Adrian how many times he wanted to carry the ball in the Pro Bowl," Reid says. "He said, 'You can give it to me every time.'

"That's how he is — bright-eyed and vicious."

"Everybody loves the guy because he's got all the talent, but he's humble," Vikings Pro Bowl left guard Steve Hutchinson says. "He's getting more patient. He's realizing a lot of the run game at this level is setting the defense up to over-pursue and then coming back the other way.

"I haven't seen a back who runs as determined who actually wants to hurt people and is as vicious."

It's just that Hutchinson would like to see Peterson be more of a home run hitter than a punisher.

"He doesn't look to run out of bounds, and that's when he fumbles," Hutchinson says. "He forgets he has the ball in his hand when he's clawing, scratching, trying to get the extra 6 inches with guys trying to tackle him."

How is this not flattering? He's 23. Of course he's not mature, that's what fathers and coaches are for. He's a model football player and seems to be a model citizen.

Rastak
07-14-2009, 02:12 PM
Might backfire on those who suggested it since he dropped some body fat, but didn't put on any weight.

He looked pretty ripped.

cheesner
07-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Seems like a good guy. Too bad - the whole Viking thing.

Perhaps someday, after he retires, I will be able to appreciate him.

hoosier
07-14-2009, 02:17 PM
"I asked Adrian how many times he wanted to carry the ball in the Pro Bowl," Reid says. "He said, 'You can give it to me every time.'

"That's how he is — bright-eyed and vicious."

"Everybody loves the guy because he's got all the talent, but he's humble," Vikings Pro Bowl left guard Steve Hutchinson says. "He's getting more patient. He's realizing a lot of the run game at this level is setting the defense up to over-pursue and then coming back the other way.

"I haven't seen a back who runs as determined who actually wants to hurt people and is as vicious."

It's just that Hutchinson would like to see Peterson be more of a home run hitter than a punisher.

"He doesn't look to run out of bounds, and that's when he fumbles," Hutchinson says. "He forgets he has the ball in his hand when he's clawing, scratching, trying to get the extra 6 inches with guys trying to tackle him."

How is this not flattering? He's 23. Of course he's not mature, that's what fathers and coaches are for. He's a model football player and seems to be a model citizen.

I wasn't saying it was an unflattering portait of Peterson as a person. On the contrary, I think the media has almost universally painted him to be high character, motivated, enthusiastic and an overall good person.

I'm sure I haven't read nearly as much about him as the average Viking fan, but the USA Today piece was the first time I have read something remotely critical about the guy. Not critical negative, but critical as in he's just a human being--in this case, an impressionable, somewhat naive young man.

Fritz
07-14-2009, 02:56 PM
The dude is a great running back. I wish he was on the Packers.

And Warren Sapp wonders why the young guys don't want to listen to him...

]{ilr]3
07-14-2009, 04:28 PM

The guy is amazing and seems like a Genuinely great person. Like you say its hard to dislike the guy other than the whole Viking thing :P

I wonder if someday it will be revealed that he is really a self serving diva that rolls up the windows to enjoy his own farts like Favre turned out to be? :?:

woodbuck27
07-14-2009, 04:43 PM

:lol:

pasquale
07-14-2009, 05:19 PM
{ilr]3]

The guy is amazing and seems like a Genuinely great person. Like you say its hard to dislike the guy other than the whole Viking thing :P

I wonder if someday it will be revealed that he is really a self serving diva that rolls up the windows to enjoy his own farts like Favre turned out to be? :?:

everyone loves their own brand...wait...what?