PDA

View Full Version : Supplemental Draft

MadScientist
07-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Starts today at noon central. I don't think TT will consider using a third on DE Jeremy Jarmon which might be what it will take to get him. As for the others, the only one I could see would be bringing in OL Joe McMahon as a FA after the draft to see if they could develop him on the practice squad.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/SuppDraft/Supplemental-Draft.php

CaptainKickass
07-15-2009, 11:37 AM
I'm a bit surprised that there aren't more players "eligible". I'm no scout but I don't really see anyone on the "list" that jumps out at me as "draft me". There might be undrafted players or even FA's that have better skill sets than these guys.

Heck one guy "Flunked out of school". That just screams "Packer People" doesn't it?

Waldo
07-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Wouldn't shock me if TT puts in a bid on Jarmon at whatever he has him valued at minus a bit, trying to get a "value pick" out of it (a 5th-6th surely wouldn't surprise me).

Though if they didn't like what they saw in spring and want more troops to man the DE position (for example if Harrell's back or Jolly's case really concern them), they could be a bit more aggressive in pursuit of Jarmon with Carter/Holiday still out there in FA as a fallback.

I forget where I read it, but there are about half a dozen teams said to be in pursuit of Jarmon (all 4-3 teams, especially the 'Skins) but that the Packers could be moving on him in the shadows, that we have done all the necessary background work and workout work on him and have shown very quiet interest. Though he doesn't fit most 3-4 schemes that well, especially the Belicheck/Parcells tree, he does fit the Capers/Lebeau branch pretty decently and would really only need to gain 5-10 pounds or so to hit ideal playing weight, something that Wynn has almost accomplished already and probably will by camp (Wynn was at 285 by the end of minicamp, which is what Vonnie weighs and one of the Steelers DE's, I read the coaches want him at 290; Jarmon goes 280).

MadScientist
07-15-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm a bit surprised that there aren't more players "eligible". I'm no scout but I don't really see anyone on the "list" that jumps out at me as "draft me". There might be undrafted players or even FA's that have better skill sets than these guys.

Heck one guy "Flunked out of school". That just screams "Packer People" doesn't it?
It's not a great list to be on, 3 flunked out, 3 huge character problems, one on steroids and one quit 'due to differences with Head Coach'.

I figured an OL who was a former boxer might have the tools to make it, even if he didn't have the brains to make it in school.

Fritz
07-15-2009, 12:14 PM
It will be interesting to see how much value TT puts on this Jarmon. I imagine that Waldo is right - part of the guy's value to the Packers might depend on information we don't have access to - how bad Harrell's back really is, how concerned the Packers are about Jolly's case, or Jolly himself. Also, though, I would guess that Thompson will not give up a pick he thinks would be too high if the guy came out next spring - that is, if he would give a 4th for Jarmon if Jarmon were in the regular draft next spring, then he might give up a 4th now - but not a 3rd.

pittstang5
07-15-2009, 08:43 PM
So....was anyone selected?

Rastak
07-15-2009, 08:45 PM

I thought it was tomorrow.

SkinBasket
07-15-2009, 09:12 PM

Does that mean you won't tell us?

Rastak
07-15-2009, 09:24 PM

Does that mean you won't tell us?

Dammit, I have to look it up?

Ok....hang on.......

July 16 at 1 p.m. ET. per NFL.com

packrat
07-15-2009, 11:12 PM
It's Thursday. Also, we could use a Safety so they might take a 7th round flyer on the DB.

packrat
07-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Bidding is by "secret" ballot, so whoever wins should be checked out to see if he had insider information as to what the other teams bid.

Chevelle2
07-16-2009, 09:16 AM
Whats the story on Jeremy Jarmon? Like, whats his deal?

MadScientist
07-16-2009, 09:34 AM
He tested positive for a banned substance that he said was in some sort of supplement and was ruled ineligible for next year so he put in for the supplemental draft. So nobody knows (at least nobody here knows) how much he knew about what he was taking, or how much is performance was enhanced by taking it. Overall I'd guess the risk isn't too high with him, at least compared with some of the others in this draft.

Freak Out
07-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Bid six quatloos on the human Jarmon.

Waldo
07-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Wouldn't shock me if TT puts in a bid on Jarmon at whatever he has him valued at minus a bit, trying to get a "value pick" out of it (a 5th-6th surely wouldn't surprise me).

Though if they didn't like what they saw in spring and want more troops to man the DE position (for example if Harrell's back or Jolly's case really concern them), they could be a bit more aggressive in pursuit of Jarmon with Carter/Holiday still out there in FA as a fallback.

I forget where I read it, but there are about half a dozen teams said to be in pursuit of Jarmon (all 4-3 teams, especially the 'Skins) but that the Packers could be moving on him in the shadows, that we have done all the necessary background work and workout work on him and have shown very quiet interest. Though he doesn't fit most 3-4 schemes that well, especially the Belicheck/Parcells tree, he does fit the Capers/Lebeau branch pretty decently and would really only need to gain 5-10 pounds or so to hit ideal playing weight, something that Wynn has almost accomplished already and probably will by camp (Wynn was at 285 by the end of minicamp, which is what Vonnie weighs and one of the Steelers DE's, I read the coaches want him at 290; Jarmon goes 280).

Redskins got him for a third.

MadScientist
07-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Bid six quatloos on the human Jarmon.
Redskins out bid you with a 3rd round pick, though he doesn't get to fight Shahna:
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/2/23/Shahna.jpg/180px-Shahna.jpg

Scott Campbell
07-16-2009, 02:33 PM

So if we would have bid a 3rd, we would have gotten him based on a worse 08 record than the Redskins?

Waldo
07-16-2009, 03:16 PM

So if we would have bid a 3rd, we would have gotten him based on a worse 08 record than the Redskins?

Yes.

According to PFT, Detroit was set to take him for a 4th, so we would have had to bid a 3rd to get him.

Too much IMO.

Fritz
07-16-2009, 03:44 PM
I don't know the answer to the following question, so it's not a rhetorical question:

Next spring, in the draft, would this guy be considered worth a third round pick?

Lurker64
07-16-2009, 03:44 PM
According to PFT, Detroit was set to take him for a 4th, so we would have had to bid a 3rd to get him.

Too much IMO.

Agreed, particularly since the 2010 draft looks to be absolutely stacked with DL talent.

ThunderDan
07-16-2009, 07:48 PM
He tested positive for a banned substance that he said was in some sort of supplement and was ruled ineligible for next year so he put in for the supplemental draft. So nobody knows (at least nobody here knows) how much he knew about what he was taking, or how much is performance was enhanced by taking it. Overall I'd guess the risk isn't too high with him, at least compared with some of the others in this draft.

Maybe it was StarCaps.

The Leaper
07-16-2009, 09:23 PM
Way too much...5th would have been as high as I'd go.