PDA

View Full Version : The Fumble

Packnut
07-15-2009, 08:18 PM
Just watching the 99 Wild Card game on ESPN and I realized the biggest regret in my life will be not killing that ref with the 102 on his back. I always fantasized about cutting his eyes out since he had no use for them.

I've seen some bad calls in my time, but that was the worst blown call in any sport in the history of humanity. I wonder if anyone ever checked his bank account after that game??????????????????????

pittstang5
07-15-2009, 08:37 PM
I've forgotten about that one, until now.

4th and 26....now that sucked and will forever haunt me.

The_Dude
07-15-2009, 08:48 PM

Ditto

Waldo
07-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Jerry Rice doesn't fumble.

Bossman641
07-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Just watching the 99 Wild Card game on ESPN and I realized the biggest regret in my life will be not killing that ref with the 102 on his back. I always fantasized about cutting his eyes out since he had no use for them.

I've seen some bad calls in my time, but that was the worst blown call in any sport in the history of humanity. I wonder if anyone ever checked his bank account after that game??????????????????????

Everytime I see that on NFL's Greatest Games I HAVE to sit down and watch it. Then when I'm done I'm furious all over again. I can't help myself.

Rastak
07-15-2009, 09:59 PM

Everytime I see that on NFL's Greatest Games I HAVE to sit down and watch it. Then when I'm done I'm furious all over again. I can't help myself.

You should see me watch Nate Wright get shoved down to the ground by Drew Pearson while the ball was in the air. I bet it's a similar blood boil.

What a bunch of shit that was. *sigh*

HarveyWallbangers
07-15-2009, 10:51 PM
You should see me watch Nate Wright get shoved down to the ground by Drew Pearson while the ball was in the air. I bet it's a similar blood boil.

What a bunch of shit that was. *sigh*

Wasn't pass interference a lot different back then? I remember hearing that the rules weren't as tight and you could get away with a lot as a receiver or defender.

pbmax
07-15-2009, 11:11 PM
No offense Packer fans, but the former Browns fan here is going to have to post a Cease and Desist notice here about trademark infringement. The Fumble only refers to Earnest Byner dropping a sure touchdown near the Broncos goal line in the AFC Championship game in Denver. It also led to the creation a new verb for costly, debilitating mistake: to byner.

It would have tied the game after the Browns coughed up a 21 point lead in the first half. Marty was the coach and this was well before everyone expected Martyball to lose winnable playoff games. I need to go outside and bang my head into a tree trunk now before I turn in. Goodnight.

MichiganPackerFan
07-16-2009, 10:39 AM
The 1999 fumble was excruciating because it took out what I feel was the most complete Packers team of the dominant 1997-1999 years out of the playoffs. I strongly believe the 1999 team was the best squad they fielded.

Giving up the 4th and 26 to the Eagles was crushing, as was the loss to the Giants at home in the playoffs in Favre’s last Packers season. As a side note to the latter, the loss wasn’t even close to Favre’s fault and the interception at the end was not the reason we lost. Mike McCarthy lost that game by refusing to run the ball. Fourteen attempts is not enough to get the running game going. Fourteen attempts is not how they went on a tear and had a winning streak. Fourteen attempts is not how you win games in Lambeau in December. Pound the ball, and if you’re averaging two yards per carry, pound it harder. To give up on what got you there, to ignore the history of the game and to become a one dimensional club is how you aggressively lose a game. Putting every single play in the hands of your quarterback when the defense and everyone in the stadium knows you are passing loses games. But I digress...

As hard as those second place finishes were, the loss to the Broncos in the 1998 Superbowl has haunted me longer. A top defense allowed Terrell Davis and his offensive line to run all over them. They held Elway to a measly 100+change yards passing. Favre turned in three times Elway’s stats and they couldn’t stop the run. They couldn’t even stop ELWAY’s run. In the long run, one of the best teams assembled in NFL history won just once in a span where they should have won three times.

CaptainKickass
07-16-2009, 12:12 PM
This thread is damn depressing.

the fumble, 4th & 26, the SB loss... geezus.

Any more gloom and doom you wanna rehash?

swede
07-16-2009, 12:27 PM
The Fumble only refers to Earnest Byner dropping a sure touchdown near the Broncos goal line in the AFC Championship game in Denver.

So "the fumble" has meaning in team lore for the Browns as well. I also think the Eagles and Dick Vermeil could think of a "fumble" that will haunt them forever.

Out of curiosity, if I referred to "the audible" would any Packer fans recall the same disastrous audible that I recall?

woodbuck27
07-16-2009, 03:48 PM

That blown call by the officials that eventually led to 'the catch' by T. O. and the 4th and 26 = both brutal. 4 and 26 translated to ' heads must roll '. Packer fan nightmares. :D

Fritz
07-16-2009, 03:50 PM
The Fumble only refers to Earnest Byner dropping a sure touchdown near the Broncos goal line in the AFC Championship game in Denver.

So "the fumble" has meaning in team lore for the Browns as well. I also think the Eagles and Dick Vermeil could think of a "fumble" that will haunt them forever.

Out of curiosity, if I referred to "the audible" would any Packer fans recall the same disastrous audible that I recall?

TJ Rubley!

Fritz
07-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Jerry Rice doesn't fumble.

Nor does he fart, poop, or have sex. He's just like my parents!

Iron Mike
07-16-2009, 04:44 PM
As hard as those second place finishes were, the loss to the Broncos in the 1998 Superbowl has haunted me longer. A top defense allowed Terrell Davis and his offensive line to run all over them. They held Elway to a measly 100+change yards passing. Favre turned in three times Elway’s stats and they couldn’t stop the run. They couldn’t even stop ELWAY’s run. In the long run, one of the best teams assembled in NFL history won just once in a span where they should have won three times.

IIRC, didn't Gabe Wilkins decide in the most important game of his life, that his gimpy knee couldn't hold up and he took himself out of the game??? :roll:

Bretsky
07-16-2009, 06:47 PM

BUSH for not falling down and recovering the DAM FUMBLE against the Giants :!:

Think of all the Favre bashing that may have never occured if Bush falls on that fumble, we hit a field goal, and GB goes to the Super Bowl

Scott Campbell
07-16-2009, 07:10 PM

Think of all the Favre bashing that may have never occured if Bush falls on that fumble, we hit a field goal, and GB goes to the Super Bowl

They ought to credit that pick to Bush instead of Favre.

digitaldean
07-16-2009, 07:29 PM

IIRC, didn't Gabe Wilkins decide in the most important game of his life, that his gimpy knee couldn't hold up and he took himself out of the game??? :roll:

Yup, remember an interview w/Leroy Butler about it. He reamed him about it. Something like resting after the game, etc.

The D failed and Holmy was outcoached in that game.

mraynrand
07-16-2009, 07:52 PM
No offense Packer fans, but the former Browns fan here is going to have to post a Cease and Desist notice here about trademark infringement. The Fumble only refers to Earnest Byner dropping a sure touchdown near the Broncos goal line in the AFC Championship game in Denver. It also led to the creation a new verb for costly, debilitating mistake: to byner.

It would have tied the game after the Browns coughed up a 21 point lead in the first half. Marty was the coach and this was well before everyone expected Martyball to lose winnable playoff games. I need to go outside and bang my head into a tree trunk now before I turn in. Goodnight.

Nothing could be finer than to tackle Earnest Byner at the goal line.

Fritz
07-16-2009, 09:10 PM

It depends, Bretsky, it depends. If GB goes to the SB and Favre throws a pick at the end and the Packers lose, it'd rev right up.

You know most of us don't let actual facts and a long-term perspective get in the way of our opinions.

pbmax
07-16-2009, 10:11 PM

The sad thing was, Byner had a clear path to glory and the only guy who could get close to Earnest prior to the goal line could only arm tackle him. My thought was that if he didn't get shot from the stands it was a sure TD. But that arm tackle was a neat strip (intentional or no, I can't say and I sure as hell am not going to look at You Tube for it) and the Broncos were able to run the clock down. Oy. :cry:

SnakeLH2006
07-17-2009, 01:05 AM

Shit..Snake was drinking with 3 buddies. I threw a bottle (Budweiser) over my neighbors roof and smoked a car with it at that point. I only knew it cuz 3 days later my old neighbor was walking his dog bitching how someone might have tossed a Bud bottle threw his Lexus. True story...and quite a throw. Fuck that shit!

Guiness
07-17-2009, 12:19 PM
That non-fumble by Jerry Rice makes my blood boil the most, because it really was a case of getting cheated. 4-26 happened on the field, within the rules - that sort of stuff drives me crazy, but it's why we love football.

Giving Rice that catch was SO similar to the calls MJ would get when driving to the basket, and is why I can't stand the NBA.

Scott Campbell
07-17-2009, 12:21 PM
That non-fumble by Jerry Rice makes my blood boil the most, because it really was a case of getting cheated. 4-26 happened on the field, within the rules - that sort of stuff drives me crazy, but it's why we love football.

Giving Rice that catch was SO similar to the calls MJ would get when driving to the basket, and is why I can't stand the NBA.

Or pushing off against Bryon Russell.

Bossman641
07-17-2009, 12:27 PM

Or pushing off against Bryon Russell.

Or even pushing off against Byron Russell :D

woodbuck27
07-21-2009, 05:23 PM

They ought to credit that pick to Bush instead of Favre.

Hey Scott. Do you subscribe to the theory that the best course in a five or six course meal is always the last? Higher thinking dictates the Bretzky's point is well made.

Scott Campbell
07-21-2009, 05:43 PM
Hey Scott. Do you subscribe to the theory that the best course in a five or six course meal is always the last?

It's typically the featured course, but not always the best. IMO.

hoosier
07-22-2009, 09:07 PM
The sad thing was, Byner had a clear path to glory and the only guy who could get close to Earnest prior to the goal line could only arm tackle him. My thought was that if he didn't get shot from the stands it was a sure TD. But that arm tackle was a neat strip (intentional or no, I can't say and I sure as hell am not going to look at You Tube for it) and the Broncos were able to run the clock down. Oy. :cry:

I was looking for something unrelated on Youtube this evening when what do I find but a three part video on the second half of the 1987 AFC Championship. I will spare you the link. :lol: