PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Blob

Freak Out
07-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Beware of the Blob! It creeps, and leaps, and glides and slides across the Chukchi.

http://www.adn.com/2835/story/864687.html

hoosier
07-16-2009, 01:23 PM
yes, but how is it on toast?

SkinBasket
07-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Doctor SkinBasket is guessing this was some kind of large algae growth that was until now growing on the ocean floor and died. My colleagues will be quick to announce that changing oceanic temperatures due to climate crisis are at work, destroying such a beautiful example of nature.

We should all share a moment of silence for this biomass... assuming it's dead. Or dying. Or gravely ill.

Deputy Nutz
07-16-2009, 03:02 PM
Burn it with a lot of diesel fuel, it will go away.

SkinBasket
07-16-2009, 03:03 PM

You say that about everything, but you still have the rash on your leg.

Deputy Nutz
07-16-2009, 03:05 PM

You say that about everything, but you still have the rash on your leg.

Good point, but that is the release of my personal information, and I am not about to give you another warning, so watch your step.

Freak Out
07-16-2009, 04:15 PM

I kind of like that approach as well.....fire cleanses all.

Freak Out
07-16-2009, 04:16 PM
....but nothing is off the table....including the nuclear option.

MichiganPackerFan
07-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Reminds me of the joke:

Q. What's red & orange and looks good on hippies?
A. Fire

I've got to imagine that joke originated in the 60's..

Iron Mike
07-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Reminds me of the joke:

Q. What's brown and is sometimes found in a baby's diaper?

A. Michael Jackson's hand.

Fixed. :P

Kiwon
07-16-2009, 05:37 PM
Who knew that a mysterious blob floating in the ocean could bring so many people together!

SkinBasket
07-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Who knew that a mysterious blob floating in the ocean could bring so many people together!

I just fucked your mom.

Kiwon
07-16-2009, 10:20 PM

I just fucked your mom.

Shh..... Don't tell anyone. Necrophilia is a crime in Wis.

http://www.foxnews.com/images/392560/1_61_070908_grave.jpg

Court: Wisconsin Law Bans Sex With the Dead, Charges Against Three Men Reinstated

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,379223,00.html

SkinBasket
07-17-2009, 07:38 AM
Damn it. That's the risk you take with internet mom jokes. I sincerely apologize Kiwon though I think you know I meant no real disrespect.

Deputy Nutz
07-17-2009, 08:06 AM

I just fucked your mom.

Court: Wisconsin Law Bans Sex With the Dead, Charges Against Three Men Reinstated

SKin is actually the one on the left.

GrnBay007
07-17-2009, 08:06 AM
Reminds me of the joke:

Q. What's red & orange and looks good on hippies?
A. Fire

I've got to imagine that joke originated in the 60's..

MPF ??? Wow!

Long time. Welcome back!

SkinBasket
07-17-2009, 08:14 AM

I just fucked your mom.

SKin is actually the one on the left.

Whatever Alex. It was your fucking idea. I was fine jerking off to cosplay magazines that night.

MichiganPackerFan
07-17-2009, 08:15 AM
Thanks 007! It was pretty cool getting caught up on some posts and seeing all the familiar "faces". At a new job now, so hopefully I can return to the community. Hope all is well.

Scott Campbell
07-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks 007! It was pretty cool getting caught up on some posts and seeing all the familiar "faces". At a new job now, so hopefully I can return to the community. Hope all is well.

I remember you now. How many years has it been? Not since JSO - right?

Harlan Huckleby
07-17-2009, 10:14 AM
Michigan, are you a meteorologist?

I remember there was something I hated very much about you, what was it?

Scott Campbell
07-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Michigan, are you a meteorologist?

I remember there was something I hated very much about you, what was it?

He's straight?

MichiganPackerFan
07-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Got torn away after a couple years on JSO. Posted a handful of times here. But I think its been three years since I was on here heavily. LOTS of life changes since then.

Not a meteorologist (might be missing something there!) Corporate Tax CPA. Was with Ernst & Young for the last four years (the hours there took me away!)

I don't know if there was anything you hated HH, I thought we got along well, LOTS of witty banter for sure. Maybe I called you "that Blue B1tch" one too many times! ("blue" as in Huckleberry and "b1tch" as in Hound!)

mraynrand
07-17-2009, 01:09 PM

I just fucked your mom.

Which one of the three is dead? It's a tough call.

Harlan Huckleby
07-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Not a meteorologist (might be missing something there!) Corporate Tax CPA. Was with Ernst & Young for the last four years (the hours there took me away!)

I don't know if there was anything you hated HH, I thought we got along well, LOTS of witty banter for sure. Maybe I called you "that Blue B1tch" one too many times! ("blue" as in Huckleberry and "b1tch" as in Hound!)

We had some running battle of insults, but I can't remember what it was about, it was just a joke.

There was another guy from Michigan, a meteorologist who used to give elaborate weather reports every game day. I may be having a senior moment - yes, that was way back in alt.sports.football.pro.gb-packers when I posted with a commodore 64 and 300 baud modem. :lol:

MichiganPackerFan
07-18-2009, 09:00 AM
I remember the (annoying) weather posts. I believe that poster was from the east side of the state. If I remember correctly, that person used an avatar similar to the green one used by Fritz.

It's been a couple of years, but this may help you remember me (found it on my hard drive):
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/7021/familyguydiscoharlan.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
07-18-2009, 06:26 PM
oh ya, you dug up that old pic from my salad days.

SkinBasket
07-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Doctor SkinBasket is guessing this was some kind of large algae growth that was until now growing on the ocean floor and died. My colleagues will be quick to announce that changing oceanic temperatures due to climate crisis are at work, destroying such a beautiful example of nature.

We should all share a moment of silence for this biomass... assuming it's dead. Or dying. Or gravely ill.

Giant Alaskan Blob Mystery Solved
Tuesday, July 21, 2009

That big, oily black blob floating in the Arctic north of Alaska? Perfectly natural, say scientists.

"We got the results back from the lab today," Ed Meggert of the state Department of Environmental Conservation told the Anchorage Daily News late last week. "It was marine algae."

No one in the area — whether biologist, Inuit hunter or oil worker — had ever seen anything like the strange stuff, which moved slowly through the Chukchi Sea last week between the towns of Barrow and Wainwright.

It stank, trapped sea birds in its gooey mass and, perhaps most alarmingly, was pretty hairy. And most marine algae is green, yellow or red, not black.

But Terry Whitledge, director of the Institute of Marine Science at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, said the color might mean the algae was partially rotting.

"Filamentous algae," he said after being e-mailed a photo of the stuff. "It means it's just stringy."

swede
07-21-2009, 12:52 PM
It stank, trapped sea birds in its gooey mass and, perhaps most alarmingly, was pretty hairy. And most marine algae is green, yellow or red, not black.

But Terry Whitledge, director of the Institute of Marine Science at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, said the color might mean the algae was partially rotting.

"Filamentous algae," he said after being e-mailed a photo of the stuff. "It means it's just stringy."

Ode to a Raft of Filamentous Algae

Filamentous algae, in the arctic chill reposing
Thou art a living thing they say
Despite thy decomposing.

What bird or creature of this earth can resist thy sly temptations
You lure us with aroma fey
Then cause us mad vexations.

Green and red and yellow rafts, are algae hues seen more
Photosynthesizers, they,
You, black goo, carnivore.

Filamentous algae, thy dusky wiles defy us
Warholian fame we give to thee
Forsaking Miley Cyrus.

You do not note the babbling, our tests and live shots on "Today"
Ol'Man algae does not die
He simply floats away.

Freak Out
07-21-2009, 05:57 PM

Ode to a Raft of Filamentous Algae

Filamentous algae, in the arctic chill reposing
Thou art a living thing they say
Despite thy decomposing.

What bird or creature of this earth can resist thy sly temptations
You lure us with aroma fey
Then cause us mad vexations.

Green and red and yellow rafts, are algae hues seen more
Photosynthesizers, they,
You, black goo, carnivore.

Filamentous algae, thy dusky wiles defy us
Warholian fame we give to thee
Forsaking Miley Cyrus.

You do not note the babbling, our tests and live shots on "Today"
Ol'Man algae does not die
He simply floats away.

:five:

Reminds me of Percy.

SkinBasket
07-21-2009, 06:28 PM
That really is quite impressive swede.

swede
07-22-2009, 12:45 PM
Thank you.

I'm like the Domino's of verse: I write poetry in thirty minutes or less or its free.

The anonymity of online is the only place a word nerd like me can hang out with the cool guys.

mraynrand
07-22-2009, 01:12 PM
Thank you.

I'm like the Domino's of verse: I write poetry in thirty minutes or less or its free.

The anonymity of online is the only place a word nerd like me can hang out with the cool guys.

There are cool guys here?

MJZiggy
07-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Thank you.

Where?

Freak Out
07-22-2009, 05:45 PM
8-)

retailguy
07-22-2009, 06:07 PM

Where?[/quote]

There are lots of cool guys here. Just ask us. :lol: