PDA

View Full Version : Favre Prediction Thread

Chevelle2
07-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Yes I know, another Favre topic, but Im serious here, lets try not to get into a pissing match, myself included. My predicted stats for this season are as follows:

62%/3750 yards/24 touchdowns/20 interceptions

I believe this for the following reasons:

-As with any injury, I think Favre will feel some lingering/re-aggravating effects to his bicep, effecting his accuracy and velocity

-He has had 1.5 good seasons, in the past 4. A good sample size, showing his production has fallen.

-He has led the NFL in 1 category since 2004. Interceptions. Twice. I expect that trend to continue.

-I believe the Jets receivers are better and more experienced than the Vikings receivers.

-Some people point to 2007 as a sign that Favre is still capable of playing within himself and leading a team far, and no doubt he did that. But I don't think Chilly will be able to reign Favre in like McCarthy did, because Chilly is spineless, and will be eager to use his new toy.

-In 2007, Favre participated in all if not most of the offseason workouts. This got him conditioned and familiar with his receivers, early. This season he is just coming in during training camp. This extra work he is not putting in is going to come back to haunt him

-The pressure will be enormous. Its Super Bowl or bust up there.

-40 year old QBs don't fair well. Look it up.

-Along with age, comes wear and tear. We are well aware of his post thanksgiving woes, and I have no reason to believe that will not continue

-Some argue that a dome will help him play better. It very well may, but I point to 08 games such as @oakland, @san fransisco (although it may have been raining then) and 07 games such as @dallas, @stl, in which Favre flat out played average or well below average.

-Back to 07 for a moment, some say Favre wasn't effected by the snow vs SEA, and I would agree. However, one must also take note, that the SEA game was coming off THREE weeks rest, recall that he only played 1 quarter in Week 17. So between December 30, and January 12, he threw 11 in-game passes.

-And perhaps the most telling: A whopping 50% of Favre's touchdowns in 08 came in 3 games. And 27% of his touchdowns came in 1 game. His stats were madly inflated.

Those are my reasons for stats....

Scott Campbell
07-17-2009, 01:52 PM
I personally don't expect him to make it through the season.

Chevelle2
07-17-2009, 01:54 PM

I could very well see that.

CaptainKickass
07-17-2009, 02:09 PM
I agree with most everything Chevelle2 wrote. My expectations are low for "What's his name?"

That being said -

I predict...and I'm just really pulling this out of my ass...

...that Jeremy Thompson, yes Jeremy Thompson, comes off the edge on a zone blitz to "What's his name's?" blind side, pummeling the "Old Man" to the turf (yes, this will happen in the Humpty Dump) landing on his aformentioned surgically repaired shoulder, destroying the shoulder, and thus ending HIS season, the Vikings hopes for the season, and consequently ending the "Vengeful One's" career.

Then "What's his Name?" signs a retirement contract with GB in 2012, and his number is finally retired.

But what do I know?

pasquale
07-17-2009, 02:14 PM
I'll just be sad to see Chilly lose his job after this season. It'd be nice to have him stick around!

Freak Out
07-17-2009, 02:17 PM
If the Viking RBs stay healthy and the coaching staff is able to use the run game to protect him he could have a very effective year. If he has to carry the team with his arm due to RB injury or game plan philosophy the odds for him to put up good numbers go waaaaaaaaay down.

WTH.......

64%/2868 yards/22 TDs/14 Ints

gex
07-17-2009, 02:31 PM
. But I don't think Chilly will be able to reign Favre in like McCarthy did, because Chilly is spineless
Is this common knowledge? What is the basis for this statement? Did he back down from a player/challenge?

Anyways, if he stays healthy and plays the whole season, looking at the schedule, I'll have to say 3100 yds(its little lower with AP and CT racking up yards due to only 6-7 in the box), 28 tds, 16 ints(1 per game).

sharpe1027
07-17-2009, 02:36 PM
My prediction? Pain!!

Chevelle2
07-17-2009, 02:36 PM
FYI -

-Favre averages 18 picks a season

-13 picks would be a career low

-He has only gotten under 15 four times.

CaptainKickass
07-17-2009, 02:43 PM
FYI -

-Favre averages 18 picks a season

-13 picks would be a career low

-He has only gotten under 15 four times.

So my creative math tells me GB gets 13 of Favres 18 picks this year. Here's how it breaks down:

GB secondary gets 9

The linebackers get 3

And in a wierd multiple bobblings of the ball - pinball type of botched play - Ryan Pickett comes down with the ball and takes it to the house!!!!!

(Is it gawd damn football season yet?)

hoosier
07-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Anyways, if he stays healthy and plays the whole season, looking at the schedule, I'll have to say 3100 yds(its little lower with AP and CT racking up yards due to only 6-7 in the box), 28 tds, 16 ints(1 per game).

Are you joking? Think back to how teams were playing GB in 2003-04 when the Packers had a strong running game with a very good OL. Defenses were putting 8 in the box regularly and making Favre beat them. He did some of the time but not all of the time. Nobody who plays the Vikings will be more concerned about Favre than Peterson.

It would be interesting to do a comparison of the 2009 Vikings with Favre to the 2003 Packers. The Packers had their best OL in recent memory, and were probably more balanced than what the Vikings currently have. Ahman Green had his monster year, but probably would fall just a hair short of Peterson's combination of speed and power. The only area where the Vikings would have a definite advantage over the 2003 GBP is the DL.

Favre in 2009: 18 tds, 18 ints, 3200 yards. 10-6 regular season record.

pbmax
07-17-2009, 04:04 PM
. But I don't think Chilly will be able to reign Favre in like McCarthy did, because Chilly is spineless
Is this common knowledge? What is the basis for this statement? Did he back down from a player/challenge?

I think you might be a tad optimistic about the numbers in the box. They only time there are six (or less) in the box is 3rd and long or Hail Mary's.

Chilly has a reputation (Bedard has blogged some of what he has heard of being two faced and untrustworthy to media types-I am not sure his reputation with players except that TO didn't like him) but I don't remember spineless.

And while it seems easy to armchair coordinate the Viking O with Favre, Chilly has in the past pulled a Reid and seem to keep the ball away from Peterson and attempt to throw it despite game situations. Remember how long it took to get Peterson in there full-time in his rookie season? Favre may throw more then you would think in a Chilldress offense.

Fritz
07-18-2009, 10:48 AM
I don't know enough to predict numbers, but I do think that certain of Favre's patterns will continue:

- He will play well sporadically. He'll have some monster games, probably in the first half of the season.

- He'll play well early on, but fade as the year goes on.

-IF Minnesota does not do what most people think they should - run AP a lot, and use Favre when needed - then Favre will have only a couple more td's than interceptions - like last year with the Jets. If they do run AP a lot, and if Childress can keep Favre reigned in, his numbers might look pretty good. Not MVP stuff, but pretty good.

SMACKTALKIE
07-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Yes I know, another Favre topic, but Im serious here, lets try not to get into a pissing match, myself included. My predicted stats for this season are as follows:

-As with any injury, I think Favre will feel some lingering/re-aggravating effects to his bicep, effecting his accuracy and velocity

-He has had 1.5 good seasons, in the past 4. A good sample size, showing his production has fallen.

-He has led the NFL in 1 category since 2004. Interceptions. Twice. I expect that trend to continue.

-I believe the Jets receivers are better and more experienced than the Vikings receivers.

-Some people point to 2007 as a sign that Favre is still capable of playing within himself and leading a team far, and no doubt he did that. But I don't think Chilly will be able to reign Favre in like McCarthy did, because Chilly is spineless, and will be eager to use his new toy.

-In 2007, Favre participated in all if not most of the offseason workouts. This got him conditioned and familiar with his receivers, early. This season he is just coming in during training camp. This extra work he is not putting in is going to come back to haunt him

-Along with age, comes wear and tear. We are well aware of his post thanksgiving woes, and I have no reason to believe that will not continue

-Some argue that a dome will help him play better. It very well may, but I point to 08 games such as @oakland, @san fransisco (although it may have been raining then) and 07 games such as @dallas, @stl, in which Favre flat out played average or well below average.

-Back to 07 for a moment, some say Favre wasn't effected by the snow vs SEA, and I would agree. However, one must also take note, that the SEA game was coming off THREE weeks rest, recall that he only played 1 quarter in Week 17. So between December 30, and January 12, he threw 11 in-game passes.

-And perhaps the most telling: A whopping 50% of Favre's touchdowns in 08 came in 3 games. And 27% of his touchdowns came in 1 game. His stats were madly inflated.

I find it humorous that you base part of your arguement on the "fact" that Childress is spineless.

That would be like saying Rodgers could do better in a system not coached by McCarthy because McCarthy is a fat doo doo head.

Fritz
07-18-2009, 12:48 PM

I find it humorous that you base part of your arguement on the "fact" that Childress is spineless.

That would be like saying Rodgers could do better in a system not coached by McCarthy because McCarthy is a fat doo doo head.

It's true, Smackie. Didn't you know that the Voldemort character in the Harry Potter novels has a pet snake (Nangini, I think) who is based upon Brad Childress? He is dangerous, though, so maybe that'll make you feel better. :D

woodbuck27
07-18-2009, 02:19 PM

This article articulates Scott's prediction very well.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/07/16/does-favre-bring-enough-upside/

Predicting his stat's for 2009 is too difficult. I don't expect he's being considered as the man behind center and to elevate the Vikings by just making handoff's to Adrian Peterson.

There won't be alot of looks opposing 'D's can throw at Favre he hasn't seen. He'll have excellent protection on this Viking team to allow him time to set up. Not good for opposing defenses. TD's Vs picks? Favre never gets too concerned over picks especially if he has to come from behind. With the Viking running game and excellent defense Brett Favre will be able to relax and have a solid and fun season.

The real concern will be the same as with any NFL team. Adversity. The Vikings must handle injuries with adequate backup plans.

Favre is working very hard to get ready for the Viking training camp. By all reports he'll be in as good of shape as he can be. He also has good velocity on his throws. I wonder what his playing weight will be? He can't come in too heavy as a big part of his game is his ability to escape the rush when necessary. It's been a number of years since he had the luxery of an OL like the Vikings will provide him.

Predicting his stat's!? He hasn't told us he's playing yet. He wants to do his part and best for the Vikings or he won't be back. He knows where he needs to be conditioning wise. He told us. He's working on that. :D

GO PACKERS!

pbmax
07-18-2009, 02:22 PM
What kind of condition is the Viking offensive line in? They must replace Birk, but were there any other changes? And is Birk's replacement expected to be good right off the bat?

MJZiggy
07-18-2009, 02:45 PM
I predict Favre will wait 'til the 31st, then retire (or at least not unretire).

Bretsky
07-18-2009, 02:55 PM
24 TD's
14 INT's
3479 yards

Playoffs for the Vikings

MOBB DEEP
07-18-2009, 03:22 PM
comeback player of the year and superbowl appearance.....

ThunderDan
07-18-2009, 03:40 PM

How can a ProBowl QB from the year before even be considered for the comeback player of the year?

Here is my best guess.

64%, 3,100 yards 24 td, 18 int

Rastak
07-18-2009, 03:59 PM
What kind of condition is the Viking offensive line in? They must replace Birk, but were there any other changes? And is Birk's replacement expected to be good right off the bat?

They have one more change, Phil Loadholt will likely take over for the completely inconsistant Ryan Cook.

Loadholt is slightly bigger than McKinney and should be an ass kicking run blocker.....he isn;t the most fleet of foot from what I hear but he has long arms so we'll see how is pass blocking is.

ND can probably give us a better read on John Sullivan, Birk's replacement. The Vikings really liked his prgress last year but that is the big question mark.

MOBB DEEP
07-18-2009, 04:08 PM

How can a ProBowl QB from the year before even be considered for the comeback player of the year?

Here is my best guess.

i admit i was just slurping lord favre

but im glad u highlighted the fact that he was a probowler at AGE 40 IN 2009/THIS YEAR!

recognize and realize - who does that at that age??!!

i watched nfln americas game review on tivo of packers season in '96 this morn with wifey..i was SO stoked

brought tear to eyes!

one love desmond howard

favre is last representative of that era that was SO magical who is STILL balln; possibly only us wisconsin natives can fully comprehend wat it was like when lord came of age with reggie'nem and put us on map

i constantly wore packer gear out here in DC

at same time alverez was beginning to make badgers/my alma mater respectable so i have place in heart for that era and want favre to go out with bang!

why not??!!

ENTERTAINMENT...........!!

peace edgar bennett

Rastak
07-18-2009, 04:59 PM
I predict Favre will wait 'til the 31st, then retire (or at least not unretire).

Could happen Zig, but when he said to the associated press...."When I get there I need to be sure my arm can last the season" that removed all doubt from my mind that he'll be wearing purple this year.

Patler
07-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Assuming he comes back and plays for the Vikings, my prediction for Favre is that he will retire again at the end of the season! :lol:

ThunderDan
07-18-2009, 05:03 PM

Here is my best guess.

i admit i was just slurping lord favre

but im glad u highlighted the fact that he was a probowler at AGE 40 IN 2009/THIS YEAR!

recognize and realize - who does that at that age??!!

i watched nfln americas game review on tivo of packers season in '96 this morn with wifey..i was SO stoked

brought tear to eyes!

one love desmond howard

favre is last representative of that era that was SO magical who is STILL balln; possibly only us wisconsin natives can fully comprehend wat it was like when lord came of age with reggie'nem and put us on map

i constantly wore packer gear out here in DC

at same time alverez was beginning to make badgers/my alma mater respectable so i have place in heart for that era and want favre to go out with bang!

why not??!!

ENTERTAINMENT...........!!

peace edgar bennett

Favre doesn't turn 40 until this fall.

I thought you and McNair and Michael Jordan were all fraternity bros. I don't remember either going to UW.

Rastak
07-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Assuming he comes back and plays for the Vikings, my prediction for Favre is that he will retire again at the end of the season! :lol:

A prediction which cannot fail!

Patler
07-18-2009, 05:39 PM

A prediction which cannot fail!

Of course, the remaining question will be how many MORE years will he play after retiring in 2010? :lol: :lol:

Kiwon
07-18-2009, 05:45 PM

If Peterson stays healthy and Vikes have a productive running game I predict that Farve will make it through the season.

But I have to believe that he will be on a very short leash with the Vikings fans. If they have key injuries and don't win Farve and Childress will both feel the heat.

ThunderDan
07-18-2009, 07:59 PM

If Peterson stays healthy and Vikes have a productive running game I predict that Favre will make it through the season.

But I have to believe that he will be on a very short leash with the Vikings fans. If they have key injuries and don't win Favre and Childress will both feel the heat.

I completely agree. The Viking faithful don't seem enamoured with Chilly. I will say I couldn't stand him at WI; glad when the Eagles took him off of our hands.

For a team that has improved recordwise the last couple of years getting Favre seems like a disparate move. If it doesn't work fans are going to say Chily set back the QB position another year.

cheesner
07-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Favre wins a few games for the Vikes and he loses even more.

Favre sets a career high for interceptions

Brent's best game is against the Packers, though he loses both.

AP has a huge year

Vikes don't make the playoffs, although they started out hot.

Favre retires, and then signs with the Bears to get even with Zigi and Chili for running him out of town, as well as TT for past transgressions.

Rastak
07-18-2009, 08:19 PM

AP has a huge year

Favre retires, and then signs with the Bears to get even with Zigi and Chili for running him out of town, as well as TT for past transgressions.

You missed the last part of the scenario......Chilly is fired and Cower is hired.... :D

Brando19
07-18-2009, 08:21 PM

AP has a huge year

You missed the last part of the scenario......Chilly is fired and Cower is hired.... :D

:lol:
Hopefully Chili is fired and Mike Sherman is hired.

cheesner
07-18-2009, 08:24 PM

AP has a huge year

ooooh! And Matt Millen becomes the GM! And Dan Snyder buys the team! Can you imagine Millen with an unlimited checkbook!

Sorry Ras, I got carried away.

Brando19
07-18-2009, 08:46 PM

AP has a huge year

ooooh! And Matt Millen becomes the GM! And Dan Snyder buys the team! Can you imagine Millen with an unlimited checkbook!

Sorry Ras, I got carried away.

:lol: That would be awesome! And Jerry Jones buys the team! HAHA...the only thing that would top that would be if Tony Mandarich became their offensive line coach.

Rastak
07-18-2009, 08:50 PM
:jack:

Maybe Pack will sign all the West Virginia criminals.

:cat:

Brando19
07-18-2009, 08:56 PM
:jack:

Maybe Pack will sign all the West Virginia criminals.

:cat:

Hahahaha.....not bad, Ras.

Pacman, Chris Henry, Owen Schmitt have all been arrested....I guess Byron Leftwich, Steve Slaton, Pat White and Chad Pennington are clean.
Chris Henry would be the Vikings starting WR immediately. :lol: :wink:

SnakeLH2006
07-19-2009, 12:28 AM
I don't know enough to predict numbers, but I do think that certain of Favre's patterns will continue:

- He will play well sporadically. He'll have some monster games, probably in the first half of the season.

- He'll play well early on, but fade as the year goes on.

-IF Minnesota does not do what most people think they should - run AP a lot, and use Favre when needed - then Favre will have only a couple more td's than interceptions - like last year with the Jets. If they do run AP a lot, and if Childress can keep Favre reigned in, his numbers might look pretty good. Not MVP stuff, but pretty good.

Snake says Fritz is a smart man (not only for posting exactly what Snake was gonna post)...but also cuz Drew has been looking better lately in Snake's eyes. 3-way? :huh: I started returning her phone calls, yo. Snake felt bad. Let's make love, not war. :shock: :lol:

]{ilr]3
07-19-2009, 12:44 AM

AP has a huge year

Nah, Mike Holmgren will be the next coach of the MN Vikings. :whaa:

Pugger
07-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Favre was great in 2007 but only after he worked his tail off, attended all OTAs and came into camp in top condition. A player at his age has to work twice as hard as younger guys. This aversion to offseason work came back to bite BF in the fanny in 2008 and I predict it will be even worse in 2009 only because Favre will be 40 in early October. Throwing passes 3X a week to high school kids isn't going to enable him to endure a grueling 16 NFL season. If he signs with the queens he'll be pretty good for while but will begin to faulter after the halfway point of the season as he runs out of gas. Father Time catches up with us all.

MOBB DEEP
07-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Favre was great in 2007 but only after he worked his tail off, attended all OTAs and came into camp in top condition. A player at his age has to work twice as hard as younger guys. This aversion to offseason work came back to bite BF in the fanny in 2008 and I predict it will be even worse in 2009 only because Favre will be 40 in early October. Throwing passes 3X a week to high school kids isn't going to enable him to endure a grueling 16 NFL season. If he signs with the queens he'll be pretty good for while but will begin to faulter after the halfway point of the season as he runs out of gas. Father Time catches up with us all.

like was posted in another thread, i blieve favre IS working his tail off as we speak! do u REALLY thinks he's gonna come back to nfc north NOT prepared?? no way in hades!!

think about it.....

Bossman641
07-20-2009, 01:19 PM

like was posted in another thread, i blieve favre IS working his tail off as we speak! do u REALLY thinks he's gonna come back to nfc north NOT prepared?? no way in hades!!

think about it.....

I think if he was really serious about preparing he would be up in Minnesota immersing himself in the playbook, getting repetitions with his teammates, and just getting to know the team in general.

MOBB DEEP
07-20-2009, 01:37 PM

think about it.....

I think if he was really serious about preparing he would be up in Minnesota immersing himself in the playbook, getting repetitions with his teammates, and just getting to know the team in general.

is the team up there right now? i have NO idea to b honest; just show me the finished product.....

mngolf19
07-20-2009, 09:23 PM
I continue with what I have said all along. He may actually lose a little effectiveness due to throwing less than usual. Which will also keep him healthy for the entire season. And, if he falters then Chilly immediately goes to Sage. Chilly has to get to a playoff win this year to keep his job. Can't worry about anyone's feelings at this point.

mngolf19
07-20-2009, 09:25 PM
And I believe that MN will become the hot ticket for incoming coaches after Chilly gets fired. (if he doesn't win a playoff game)

Fritz
07-21-2009, 01:58 PM
I continue with what I have said all along. He may actually lose a little effectiveness due to throwing less than usual. Which will also keep him healthy for the entire season. And, if he falters then Chilly immediately goes to Sage. Chilly has to get to a playoff win this year to keep his job. Can't worry about anyone's feelings at this point.

Feelings....nothing more than feelings.....

If Brett Favre plays for the Vikes this year....fuggem!

Administrator
07-21-2009, 02:01 PM

I understand your point and I agree with it. But I think you left out one part of the equation - The consecutive game streak.

Do you think Childress wants, as part of his legacy, to be the "guy" who sat down the consecutive game streak leader? That'd be tough, even if he found himself out of work for it. Barring an injury, it'll be tough to switch QB's. Even if there is an injury, doesn't Brett's recent history suggest he'll go whining to the media?

I think this is tougher than you think it is. But it'll be interesting, as there is little doubt that he'll play.

Fritz
07-21-2009, 02:02 PM
I think, once Favre has Marshall's old record in hand, it won't be as big a deal.

LP
07-21-2009, 03:34 PM

Personally I don't think Childress has the guts but....Oh how I would love to see it happen. It'd be great! In his quest to get even, Brent goes to Minnesota and gets benched.

And while I'm "dreaming",(cause Childress has no nads) it happens at Lambeau Field. Right after Brent throws what ends up as the game losing interception to Woodson, who returns it for a touchdown!

Oh, do I dare to dream?

woodbuck27
07-21-2009, 03:38 PM

I predict your prediction is wrong MJ.

No situation could better present itself now for Brett Favre then to handle the starting QB duties on the Vikings. No writer of fiction could script it any better. I've never seen a better story in all the decades I've enjoyed professional sports.

It's beyond classic. Favre will be a Viking. Favre will play very well as a Viking. The same question I always have concerning Brett Favre remains. Can he remain healthy? That always bothers me and he must get into top condition or he'll go down.

GO PACK GO!

woodbuck27
07-21-2009, 03:43 PM
24 TD's
14 INT's
3479 yards

Playoffs for the Vikings

If he stays healthy. I would expect at least 3500 yards and 22 TD's. There will be weeks when Brett Favre is the outstanding QB in the NFL. The number of picks won't matter as the Vikings will make the playoffs and Favre will be happy and upbeat.

woodbuck27
07-21-2009, 03:55 PM

Ohh heck! Let's not mess around here.

Favre will lead the Minnesota Vikings to the Super Bowl 'in Brett Favre's world' or why even continue. It's like Tom Watson at 59 years of age and last weeks stunning British Open results . Tom Watson said he wouldn't be in that great Championship if he didn't feel he could win.

He nearly and stunningly pulled it off. He had the imagination of the golfing world and who couldn't pull for him. He was one stroke up on the 18th of the final round. In the middle of the fairway. Just safely on and two putts for the win. Suddenly our world came crashing down with Tom Watson's.

I watched that man play golf last week and I totally understood Brett Favre and why the greatest continue to compete. It's the magic of the story. The saga. The Legend.

If Brett Favre ever gets his Viking team to the Super Bowl. He'll have a ton of NFL fans pulling for him. That's where it's at. How many of us will ever have that opportunity? How many of us may or not cheer for Favre if the Packers falter?

Only stubborness dictates a false heart. :D

woodbuck27
07-21-2009, 04:03 PM
And I believe that MN will become the hot ticket for incoming coaches after Chilly gets fired. (if he doesn't win a playoff game)

We have a fella up here coaching the Montreal Alouettes named Marc Trestman who is something else. I believe he'll make an outstanding HC for some fortunate NFL team.

He has NFL coaching experience and has worked alot mentoring NFL QB's I understand. His players love his all in for the team attitude. No player is above another is his style. He's also got a superior offensive mind and approach.

Eventually we'll see him in the NFL and I'd love to see him as the Packer HC but I decided to post this for what it's worth.

Marc Trestman = a good one.

mngolf19
07-22-2009, 11:41 AM

We have a fella up here coaching the Montreal Alouettes named Marc Trestman who is something else. I believe he'll make an outstanding HC for some fortunate NFL team.

He has NFL coaching experience and has worked alot mentoring NFL QB's I understand. His players love his all in for the team attitude. No player is above another is his style. He's also got a superior offensive mind and approach.

Eventually we'll see him in the NFL and I'd love to see him as the Packer HC but I decided to post this for what it's worth.

Woody, he also has a lot of connections to Minnesota. So it's possible, but I think ownership would want to go for the biggest and best name. (sell tickets) They took Chilly as their first act when they didn't completely know what they were doing. Now with experience, and a SB goal they have shown no worries about spending to get to, I would expect to see them go after a Cowher-Shanahan-Dungy type. Money isn't an issue for them.

MOBB DEEP
07-22-2009, 11:46 AM
barnett does a lawrence taylor on theisman at lambeau

mngolf19
07-22-2009, 11:49 AM

I understand your point and I agree with it. But I think you left out one part of the equation - The consecutive game streak.

Do you think Childress wants, as part of his legacy, to be the "guy" who sat down the consecutive game streak leader? That'd be tough, even if he found himself out of work for it. Barring an injury, it'll be tough to switch QB's. Even if there is an injury, doesn't Brett's recent history suggest he'll go whining to the media?

I think this is tougher than you think it is. But it'll be interesting, as there is little doubt that he'll play.

I agree with Fritz, that the record will be his so it may lessen the impact. But also, MN has proven that QB play is their achilles, it would only take decent play to win there, and Chilly didn't care last year when Frerotte and Jackson whined. Personally, I'd rather have a legacy of still working and winning than even considering being the "guy". But I hear ya. Sometimes though I wonder where this Chilly doesn't have the guts stuff comes from. I don't remember anything yet that fits that description. I may have forgotten though. I just think he makes the decisions he believes are best and they don't always get understood by outsiders.

ThunderDan
07-22-2009, 01:07 PM

Favre will lead the Minnesota Vikings to the Super Bowl 'in Brett Favre's world' or why even continue. It's like Tom Watson at 59 years of age and last weeks stunning British Open results . Tom Watson said he wouldn't be in that great Championship if he didn't feel he could win.

He nearly and stunningly pulled it off. He had the imagination of the golfing world and who couldn't pull for him. He was one stroke up on the 18th of the final round. In the middle of the fairway. Just safely on and two putts for the win. Suddenly our world came crashing down with Tom Watson's.

I watched that man play golf last week and I totally understood Brett Favre and why the greatest continue to compete. It's the magic of the story. The saga. The Legend.

If Brett Favre ever gets his Viking team to the Super Bowl. He'll have a ton of NFL fans p-ulling for him. That's where it's at. How many of us will ever have that opportunity? How many of us may or not cheer for Favre if the Packers falter?

That analogy is completely wrong to compare to BF.

Tom Watson hasn't played with PGA Tour level competion on a regular basis for 9 years. What Tom Watson did was amazing.

A starting QB playing one more year at the end of their career is pretty normal, thou doing it at 39 probably makes it newsworth if you got rid of all the other BF drama.

Pugger
07-22-2009, 01:10 PM
If the Packers falter and the Queens with BF have success I can not, in good conscious, root for MN. It is against my religion, no matter WHO their starting QB is.

gex
07-22-2009, 08:55 PM

If Brett Favre ever gets his Viking team to the Super Bowl. He'll have a ton of NFL fans p-ulling for him. That's where it's at. How many of us will ever have that opportunity? How many of us may or not cheer for Favre if the Packers falter?

I don't know Woody, I blead green and gold(got the tatoo to prove it), but I'll be rooting for his ass this year(his last).

I want my Packers to do well and make the playoffs( i might even put money on it),but, the Packers will always be here, and I would rather see the old man win one more before he rides off into the sunset.

Hey, thats just how I feel 8-)

Rastak
07-22-2009, 09:04 PM

I don't know Woody, I blead green and gold(got the tatoo to prove it), but I'll be rooting for his ass this year(his last).

I want my Packers to do well and make the playoffs( i might even put money on it),but, the Packers will always be here, and I would rather see the old man win one more before he rides off into the sunset.

You and me both Gex. Let's win one for the Gipper! We shall fight them on the land, we shall fight them on the sea. Gosh darn it, let's all pull together and see the old fellow hoist the Lombardi one more time.

Ok, a one and a two and...

Skol Vikings let's win this game, Skol Vikings honor your name.....

:wink:

Merlin
07-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Ras wants the Vikings to win? Gee now there is a shocker! If Favre comes back I wish him success to the point it does not cost the Packers success. I will enjoy watching him play as always and it is possible to root for a player and not a team.

I am not as optimistic as our GM when it comes to the personnel we have (specifically the offensive line and lack of depth at RB) and the changes on defense. I hope his gamble pays off to jump up and take a LB, a position I didn't think we really needed at this time. Our secondary is aging so here's to hoping Woodson and Harris can make the proper adjustments to Capers schemes, if Capers runs a lot of zone, Harris is going to be useless.

Fritz
07-22-2009, 10:53 PM

Then he'll never make it as an NFL head coach.

gex
07-23-2009, 02:18 PM
. I will enjoy watching him play as always and it is possible to root for a player and not a team.

I think anyone who plays fantasy football can attest to that. I used to think that people who played FF were being disloyal to their team, untill I started playing that is, now every week I have so many players from so many different teams that I want to put up big #'s its hard to keep track of. And like I said earlier in the thread, I'll be rooting for him to get 1 more shot before he is gone for good.

Fritz
07-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Skol Vikings? Isn't Skol some kind of chewing tobacco?

You know, Walt Garrison's old TV commercial: "Hi, I'm Walt Garrison, and I don't smoke. But I still get pure tobacco pleasure from Skol, Copenhagen, and Happy Days Mint."

Or something like that.

woodbuck27
07-23-2009, 04:30 PM

I agree with Fritz, that the record will be his so it may lessen the impact. But also, MN has proven that QB play is their achilles, it would only take decent play to win there, and Chilly didn't care last year when Frerotte and Jackson whined. Personally, I'd rather have a legacy of still working and winning than even considering being the "guy". But I hear ya. Sometimes though I wonder where this Chilly doesn't have the guts stuff comes from. I don't remember anything yet that fits that description. I may have forgotten though. I just think he makes the decisions he believes are best and they don't always get understood by outsiders.

Am I seeing Chilly right in terms of this observation? It seems to me that he gets very tight on the sidelines or acts nervous. I havn't seen the Vikings under Chilly play a lot, but when I have he seems strung out.

Is that observation accurate?

woodbuck27
07-23-2009, 04:37 PM
Ras wants the Vikings to win? Gee now there is a shocker! If Favre comes back I wish him success to the point it does not cost the Packers success. I will enjoy watching him play as always and it is possible to root for a player and not a team.

I am not as optimistic as our GM when it comes to the personnel we have (specifically the offensive line and lack of depth at RB) and the changes on defense. I hope his gamble pays off to jump up and take a LB, a position I didn't think we really needed at this time. Our secondary is aging so here's to hoping Woodson and Harris can make the proper adjustments to Capers schemes, if Capers runs a lot of zone, Harris is going to be useless.

I think TT went LBer with that second pick because of plans to go to the 3-4 Defense. He picked up a good atlete as well and double downed on AJ Hawk.

I agree with you Merlin in regards to our depth in the secondary and specifically at CB. Al Harris is near gone and Woodson as great an athlete as he is is aging.

woodbuck27
07-23-2009, 04:42 PM

You and me both Gex. Let's win one for the Gipper! We shall fight them on the land, we shall fight them on the sea. Gosh darn it, let's all pull together and see the old fellow hoist the Lombardi one more time.

Ok, a one and a two and...

Skol Vikings let's win this game, Skol Vikings honor your name.....

:wink:

Rastak now that it appears certain Brett Favre will be your teams QB it all makes sense why you've been such a prominant and loyal supporter of Packerrats. :D

I'm looking forward to some objective analysis of his progress and play as a Viking this season from you Rastak.

GO PACK GO!

Fritz
07-23-2009, 06:28 PM
Once and for all, the reason Chilly is seen as having no cojones is the mustache.

If he would just shave that stuff would all go away.

Only Bill Cowher can get away with a mustache like that. And maybe an 80's porn star.

woodbuck27
07-24-2009, 03:10 PM

Why Fritz? Why won't Marc Trestman ever make it as an NFL HC?

Is that meant as a slam on me and my ability to assess a man I read about regularly Fritz and a main reason for the Alouettes success?

What is that post supposed to mean Fritz? What do you know of Marc Trestman to inform us that he doesn't have NFL HC ability? Back yourself up Fritz. There is plenty I read and have read that informs me otherwise Fritz.

Again. Marc Trestman is proving to be an excellent Head Coach and I do believe he will gain a spot as HC in the NFL soon. He's dedicated,personable and has gifted insight into how to run an offense. The Alouette players respect and like him immensely. He makes the game fun for them as well and he's fit in very well to the community of Montreal and that's not exactly small town status.

Mantreal is a big time city Fritz. Of course your likely aware of that fact. :D

The Montreal Alouettes are an institution here and runner up in the Grey Cup last season under Marc Trestman.

hoosier
07-24-2009, 03:22 PM

Are you aware of the irony in what you're saying? :lol: Back in January 2006 when Childress was hired here's what he had to say about the Vikings HC job:

In my mind out of these jobs that are open in the NFL this is the plum job in the National Football League, without a doubt, hands down. You can talk to nine out of 10 people and they are going to tell you that.

Fritz
07-24-2009, 07:29 PM

Is that meant as a slam on me and my ability to assess a man I read about regularly Fritz and a main reason for the Alouettes success?

What is that post supposed to mean Fritz? What do you know of Marc Trestman to inform us that he doesn't have NFL HC ability? Back yourself up Fritz. There is plenty I read and have read that informs me otherwise Fritz.

Again. Marc Trestman is proving to be an excellent Head Coach and I do believe he will gain a spot as HC in the NFL soon. He's dedicated,personable and has gifted insight into how to run an offense. The Alouette players respect and like him immensely. He makes the game fun for them as well and he's fit in very well to the community of Montreal and that's not exactly small town status.

The Montreal Alouettes are an institution here and runner up in the Grey Cup last season under Marc Trestman.

Yes, Woody. True to my form, I have attacked you, personally and baselessly. I have denigrated your entire body of work, every post you have ever hit the "submit" button on. Yup, that's me. I've called you both male and female body parts, I've wrecked you, I've called into question your very essence as a human being. That's me.

Jay-sus, Woody, lighten up. My point is that the NFL is a star-driven system. You cannot - I repeat, cannot - treat every player the same in the NFL. You know damn well that Brett Favre or Randy Moss does not get the same treatment as Matt Flynn or Alfred Malone or Jamarko Simmons.

I was simply questioning whether a coach who truly treats all players the same - your claim I think - could possibly be a good NFL coach. That might - and might is the key word - work in the CFL, but it won't work in the NFL.

Okay?

mngolf19
07-24-2009, 08:37 PM

Are you aware of the irony in what you're saying? :lol: Back in January 2006 when Childress was hired here's what he had to say about the Vikings HC job:

In my mind out of these jobs that are open in the NFL this is the plum job in the National Football League, without a doubt, hands down. You can talk to nine out of 10 people and they are going to tell you that.

You bet Hoosier. :) You have good players, great ownership. Chilly has done ok with personnel decisions except for QB. And that may be the one thing that does him in. He was right in what he said(from a point of view), he just hasn't executed. I could see a great coach step in and make all the difference in the very same season.

mngolf19
07-24-2009, 08:42 PM

Am I seeing Chilly right in terms of this observation? It seems to me that he gets very tight on the sidelines or acts nervous. I havn't seen the Vikings under Chilly play a lot, but when I have he seems strung out.

Is that observation accurate?

Oh your absolutely right Woody. He does get that way on the sidelines. Acts like he's inexperieced. But I think that differs with having the guts to make some decisions. Or perhaps he just doesn't see it that way, just that it's got to be done whether anyone's happy or not. I think some of his decisions are pulled from his keister on a moments notice, while others are planned well in advance and acted on even if the situation doesn't fit.

mraynrand
07-24-2009, 09:04 PM
Once and for all, the reason Chilly is seen as having no cojones is the mustache.

If he would just shave that stuff would all go away.

Only Bill Cowher can get away with a mustache like that. And maybe an 80's porn star.

Did someone mention my name?

http://outlandinstitute.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/magnum.jpg

SnakeLH2006
07-25-2009, 12:07 AM
The consecutive game streak.

Yep...It's a no doubter Brettie plays. I never thought I'd rue the day, Brettie became the attention ho he became, but bank it. Brett is the starting QB for the Vikes in 2009, no doubt. Snake still loves to see him play, but his pandering/attention whore shit even tires on the great Snake. :shock:

There is no doubt he plays, and even if he sucks (he'll be good or at least average) he'll keep playing no matter what. He's got legions of fans and most importantly ESPN behind his every poop/comment. I still like Brett, but hey, he plays till he's done playing. No way in HELL, Chilly benches him no matter what. Now, if the Vikes had some stud/proven player at QB besides him, perhaps they wouldn't bend over backwards to his (Favre's) every need. Realistically, I don't think he's a difference maker in 2009 at 40, yet Chilly sees it. If Brett (ok he will no doubt) signs, he (Brett is the coach...so sad for Vikes fans) but no WAY IN HELL Chilly steps in to break his starting streak. No fucking way. Nope.

The only coach (current or past) that would do it (have the balls) are as follows:

-Belicheck
-Parcells
-Lombardi

Yet those 3 guys know enough about football (or did) to know not to attach you wagon to the Brett bandwagon....Huge hopes, shattered dreams (for the most part).

Note: This is Snake's most negative post about Brett ever. I still like the guy, but so glad his drama is with our rival at 40. Not worried about him. I wish him the best (barring the Vikes beating the Pack or making the playoffs). But, just floored at how emo Brett has become in every passing year/week/day. Nothing surprises Snake anymore.

Fritz
07-25-2009, 09:08 AM
The Detroit talking heads were raking Favre over the coals yesterday. Not that that matters in and of itself, but what I found interesting was this idea from a caller:

If Favre's ultra-competetive nature has been his calling card for years (think back to the adoring announcers and fans - including m e - who talk about his fierce will-to-win), and now he can't decide, a week before camp, whether he wants to come back with a large contract and competetive team seemingly already in place, hasn't he then lost the very quality that so many of us argued made him special?

Hmm.

pbmax
07-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Marc Trestman is unlikely to be an NFL Head Coach, because he has already bounced around the entire league for 2 decades and has been only as high as offensive coordinator in the NFL.

Trestman came to the Cleveland Browns (after Lindy Infante went to some wretched franchise to try to save it from itself) on the recommendation of Bernie Kosar who knew him from the University of Miami. He was part of an offensive struggle after he became coordinator and was embarrassed on National TV when Bill Walsh (then a color commentator) mentioned that Trestman had come to him asking to talk about short yardage red zone plays. It wasn't clear logically how this was news, but it was played on TV like desperation on Trestman's part. The Browns had started fast but were struggling.

He was let go in a coaching shakeup after that one season as coordinator, spent two years as a QB coach for the Vikings and then was out of football for three years. He recovered and received training in the West Coast offense as a staff member of the 49ers under Seifert I believe. He was on their staff for Young's last great season in 1995. He was there for Scott Mitchell's best season in Detroit and Plummer's best one in Arizona.

He has always bounced around to troubled (or soon to be troubled) franchises looking for some offensive magic. He seems to be able to do something, but it is never enough to keep the coaching staff intact. His worst trait might be an uncanny knack for taking over when trouble is brewing. He might have been better served stepping down a rung to go to a franchise on the rise.

He doesn't seem to have connections to coaches who get head coaching jobs that are a fresh start or a franchise on the rise. His only chance might be to remake that rep in the CFL. Right now, if Trestman came to my team, I would start looking forward to a new Head Coach and a top five pick within 2 years.

Fritz
07-25-2009, 12:13 PM
And - (here's my Richard Nixon impression) I would like to make this perfectly clear - my observation on Trestman was based upon Woody's own claim that the players loved Trestman because he didn't put any one player above another.

I would simply point out that that is not how the NFL works, and if Trestman truly does treat all his players the same, he'll never be an NFL head coach.

That's all. Not trying to denigrate any individual poster.

pbmax
07-25-2009, 01:12 PM
Doh!

Scott Campbell
07-25-2009, 01:20 PM
And - (here's my Richard Nixon impression) I would like to make this perfectly clear - my observation on Trestman was based upon Woody's own claim that the players loved Trestman because he didn't put any one player above another.

I would simply point out that that is not how the NFL works, and if Trestman truly does treat all his players the same, he'll never be an NFL head coach.

That's all. Not trying to denigrate any individual poster.

Pugger
07-25-2009, 01:56 PM
The Detroit talking heads were raking Favre over the coals yesterday. Not that that matters in and of itself, but what I found interesting was this idea from a caller:

If Favre's ultra-competetive nature has been his calling card for years (think back to the adoring announcers and fans - including m e - who talk about his fierce will-to-win), and now he can't decide, a week before camp, whether he wants to come back with a large contract and competetive team seemingly already in place, hasn't he then lost the very quality that so many of us argued made him special?

Hmm.

And his undecidedness and lack of commitment were the main reasons why MM chose Rodgers over Favre last summer.

woodbuck27
07-25-2009, 03:26 PM

Yes, Woody. True to my form, I have attacked you, personally and baselessly. I have denigrated your entire body of work, every post you have ever hit the "submit" button on. Yup, that's me. I've called you both male and female body parts, I've wrecked you, I've called into question your very essence as a human being. That's me.

Jay-sus, Woody, lighten up. My point is that the NFL is a star-driven system. You cannot - I repeat, cannot - treat every player the same in the NFL. You know damn well that Brett Favre or Randy Moss does not get the same treatment as Matt Flynn or Alfred Malone or Jamarko Simmons.

I was simply questioning whether a coach who truly treats all players the same - your claim I think - could possibly be a good NFL coach. That might - and might is the key word - work in the CFL, but it won't work in the NFL.

Okay?

Sorry no time to respond to this as I need to Fritz as In disagree with you. Otherwise Fritz. Have a great weekend.

Ed.

Packers!

HarveyWallbangers
07-27-2009, 10:57 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/07/26/camps/1.html

I do find it interesting he hasn't worked out with his friend from Athletes Performance Institute, Ken Croner (more about him in a couple of paragraphs), or, apparently, with any personal trainer for any length of time this offseason. Croner got him ready for a physically strong season two years ago. Last year, without doing much in the offseason, Favre was spent by December. Maybe he's been more disciplined and worked out hard on his own. We'll see.

Fritz
07-28-2009, 03:02 AM
Deanna's running his workouts - he'll be in top notch shape. :D

Pugger
07-28-2009, 09:20 AM
And this lack of conditioning is going to come back and bite him and the queens in the fanny later this season :lol: with any luck. His arm may be fine but if his legs get tired he'll throw ducks up for MN like he did in NY later last season.

MOBB DEEP
07-28-2009, 09:32 AM
And this lack of conditioning is going to come back and bite him and the queens in the fanny later this season :lol: with any luck. His arm may be fine but if his legs get tired he'll throw ducks up for MN like he did in NY later last season.

u dont think he's working out to avoid embarssing himself this seasonb? esp coming back to the division?!

Pugger
07-28-2009, 10:01 AM
I don't know if he isn't working out but a player at his age has to work twice as hard as a younger player does and the article by King suggested he wasn't training like he did 2 years ago. For his and MN's sake he better be in tip top shape (we Packer fans should hope he ISN'T). Tossing footballs to high school kids isn't gonna cut it.

MOBB DEEP
07-28-2009, 11:19 AM
I don't know if he isn't working out but a player at his age has to work twice as hard as a younger player does and the article by King suggested he wasn't training like he did 2 years ago. For his and MN's sake he better be in tip top shape (we Packer fans should hope he ISN'T). Tossing footballs to high school kids isn't gonna cut it.

actually he could just do a BUCNH of cardio to come in prepared...like one poster said, its not his arm but his legs that may give out over the season...he knows system already and can read defenses after playnj for two decades, so merely having good stamina should allow him to excel

and i submit that one can hope for him to succeed and at the same time pull for the mighty pack...i want him to throw for 800 yards and 8 tds vs pack but go 0-2

ThunderDan
07-28-2009, 12:24 PM

actually he could just do a BUCNH of cardio to come in prepared...like one poster said, its not his arm but his legs that may give out over the season...he knows system already and can read defenses after playnj for two decades, so merely having good stamina should allow him to excel

and i submit that one can hope for him to succeed and at the same time pull for the mighty pack...i want him to throw for 800 yards and 8 tds vs pack but go 0-2

You don't do a BUNCH of cardio and come in prepared.

To get to that level if you aren't working out you are looking at 2-4 hours a day 4-5 per week. Keeping that up is near impossible. If BF is questioning if he can make it thru the season I'm guessing he wouldn't put in the time with the cardio.

Also, he will be in training camp and meetings all day. When is he going to have 3 spare hours in his day?

MJZiggy
07-28-2009, 08:55 PM

Ahem...so I was a couple days off...

Dammit. I was right for what? A week? So close but yet so far....

Chevelle2
08-18-2009, 02:42 PM
Well, looks like this thread could use a bump.

:D

Fritz
08-18-2009, 03:02 PM
Let me be the first to predict then that Favre will play for two weeks and tearfully announce that he feels he can't play at the level he wants to any more, and is quitting - er, retiring. For real this time. Really. No, really.

LP
08-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Let me be the first to predict then that Favre will play for two weeks and tearfully announce that he feels he can't play at the level he wants to any more, and is quitting - er, retiring. For real this time. Really. No, really.

Isn't predicting the past cheating? :lol:

KYPack
08-18-2009, 04:12 PM

This is how pissed I am.

I can't think of anything funny to post with a great straight line like this one Fritz posted.

I don't hate Brett. I can't, I saw his goofy ass grow up

But MAN, am I sick of that SOB.

Fritz
08-18-2009, 05:13 PM

Isn't predicting the past cheating? :lol:

Good one.

Fritz
08-18-2009, 05:14 PM

This is how pissed I am.

I can't think of anything funny to post with a great straight line like this one Fritz posted.

I don't hate Brett. I can't, I saw his goofy ass grow up

But MAN, am I sick of that SOB.

KY, when did that happen?