PDA

View Full Version : Moving from pesto to pickles

packinpatland
07-17-2009, 05:43 PM
I need a tried and true recipe for deli-type-refrig dill pickles.
Everything I've been finding has gallons of brine. :shock:

hoosier
07-17-2009, 08:42 PM
Here are a couple of Southern Indiana specialities for your consideration. If your guests survive the frozen pesto, they will surely love these. :lol:

DEEP FRIED PICKLES
Yield: 24 pickles
Cook Time: 25 min
Total Time:1 hr 20 min

INGREDIENTS
24 dill pickle spears, chilled
Egg wash (recipe follows)
Breading (recipe follows)
Canola oil for frying
Ranch dressing (recipe follows)

DIRECTIONS
Using only very cold dill pickle spears, dip pickle into egg wash and then coat with breading. Repeat until no pickles remain, and arrange dipped pickles on a sheet pan lined with waxed paper. Chill for at least 30 minutes.

In a deep fryer, heat oil to 375 degrees F. Alternatively, heat oil in a large, heavy pot suitable for deep-frying. Carefully add chilled pickle spears, in batches, to the hot oil and fry for about 3 1/2 minutes or until golden. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Serve with Ranch Dressing.

Egg Wash:

2 cups milk
2 eggs
Pinch lemon pepper
Pinch dill weed
Pickle juice

Breading:

2 1/2 cups cornmeal
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup lemon pepper
1/2 cup dill weed
4 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons garlic salt
Pinch cayenne pepper, or more to taste

For egg wash: In a baking dish, whisk all ingredients together, except pickle juice. Add pickle juice, to taste, and whisk to combine.

For breading: Combine all ingredients in a baking dish.

Ranch Dressing:

1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons minced parsley leaves
2 tablespoons chopped green onion
1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 garlic clove, minced
Mayonnaise

In a large mixing bowl, stir all ingredients together, except mayonnaise. Add mayonnaise, as needed, to thicken. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DEEP FRIED SNICKERS

INGREDIENTS
Servings: 4
4 Snickers bars - Refrigerated (push stick into one end before refrigerating)
Shortening or cooking oil for frying
1 cup of sifted flour
1 teaspoon of salt
3/4 cup of cold water
1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
Powdered sugar to sprinkle
Optional:
whipped cream
chocolate
DIRECTIONS
1. Begin by mixing together the flour, the water and the salt until the mixture is smooth, then cover the pan and allow it to stand at room temperature for between 20 and 30 minutes.

2. After the mixture has sat for 20 to 30 minutes, stir the baking powder into the mixture.

3. Put the cooking oil or shortening into a deep fat fryer and carefully insert a candy thermometer to ensure the proper cooking temperature.

4. Take the flour mixture and begin to heat it over high heat.

5. Carefully dip the candy bars into the batter, allowing any excess to drain off before putting them in the deep fryer.

6. Fry the candy bars at 375 degrees until they have become golden and crisp.

7. Carefully remove the candy bars from the deep fryer and allow them to drain on a paper towel before serving.

8. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or serve with a side of whipped cream or chocolate.

RECIPE BACKSTORYIf Snickers bars are not to your liking, this recipe also works just as well with a variety of other delicious candies. Some of the best candies for deep frying include Mars bars, Three Musketeer bars and Milky Way bars. Other delicious and indulgent treats, such as Twinkies and Oreo cookies, can be prepared in this manner as well. You can bring the goodness of the county fair to your home all year long.

SkinBasket
07-17-2009, 08:47 PM
I'm going to put pesto on my pickle. I'll let ya'll know how that turns out.

packinpatland
07-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Those fried recipes sound like they're from the deep south!

I can't remember the last time I fried anything......but I may give these a try.....both sound weird enough to be good! :lol:

GrnBay007
07-18-2009, 12:08 AM
Last weekend I was going through all my Mom's recipes and taking ones I wanted to keep. I found one for dill pickles but I'm pretty sure you need to can them. They were awesome though. I'll look for it tomorrow.