PDA

View Full Version : Golf: Is it or isn't it?

Harlan Huckleby
07-18-2009, 06:22 PM
I heard on the news that Tom Watson has a shot to win the British Open at the age of 59.

I think this answers the old controversy once and for all. Any competition that can be performed at a top professional level at age 59 is not a sport. It is a leisure time activity done competitively. Like darts, billiards, horse shoe pitching, or line dancing.

MJZiggy
07-18-2009, 06:28 PM
Lawn darts with a stick.

Iron Mike
07-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Somebody needs to explain to me how auto racing can be considered a sport.

Harlan Huckleby
07-18-2009, 06:41 PM
I just remembered an old column by Andy Baggot
http://www.madison.com/archives/read.php?ref=/wsj/2004/08/07/0408070081.php

1. If you can drink alcohol and smoke a cigar while competing, then it's not a sport. Examples: Horseshoes, golf, bass fishing.
2. If the winner is determined solely by the work of judges, then it's not a sport. Examples: Gymnastics, figure skating, cheerleading, ballroom dancing.
3. If an animal dies or does the heavy lifting, then it's not a sport. Examples: Iditarod, horse racing, hunting.
4. If you sit on your butt for hours at a time, then it's not a sport. Examples: Chess, poker.
5. If an engine does the work, then it's not a sport. Examples: Auto, truck, boat and motorcycle racing.
6. If you wear a watch, long pants and a collared shirt while competing, then it's not a sport. Examples: Pool, bowling.
7. If there's a script, then it's not a sport. Examples: WWE, RAW.
8. It's possible to be an athlete, but yours may not be a sport. Gymnasts, golfers, cheerleaders and rodeo clowns are good examples of this.
9. The need for great eye-hand coordination doesn't automatically mean it's a sport. That's why marbles, juggling and croquet are out.
10. Competing against someone doesn't automatically mean it's a sport. If it did, getting the number of the woman at the end of the bar before your buddy would have leagues.

Brando19
07-18-2009, 07:13 PM

Mark Martin is as old as dirt and he's one of the top Nascar drivers right now.

retailguy
07-18-2009, 07:35 PM

The guy is 50 and he's as old as dirt. :shock:

How old do you gotta be to be as old as dirt? :?

Brando19
07-18-2009, 07:59 PM

:lol: No, 50's not old in average joe years...but Mark Martin is as old as dirt for a nascar driver. You're stuffed inside the car for hours going 180 mph...that's gotta be demanding.

MJZiggy
07-18-2009, 11:38 PM

Ok, fine. Old as compost. Predirt.

SnakeLH2006
07-19-2009, 02:58 AM

I can't do it either. My redneck buds love that circle racing type stuff? What is it? Bored to death to watch it. Just don't get it at all.

Golf...same way as far as TV, but love to golf in person. What other sport can you get wasted, and still do well in? :lol:

Little Whiskey
07-19-2009, 09:30 AM
snake, don't nock it till you've tried it.........nascar that is.

Kiwon
07-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Brian Kilmeade: Watson proves golf isn't sport

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/video08.html?maven_referralObject=7126176&maven_referralPlaylistId=&sRevUrl=http://www.foxnews.com/

Harlan Huckleby
07-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Kilmeade says it well.

It bothers me when people say Tiger Woods is the greatest athlete of all time. I knew Michael Jordan, he was a friend of mine, and Tiger, .......

sheepshead
07-20-2009, 07:19 PM
No way it's a sport. It's a game