PDA

View Full Version : Did Holmgren mail it in?

Brando19
07-18-2009, 08:53 PM
Interesting article from PFT:

Did Holmgren mail it in?
Posted by Aaron Wilson on July 18, 2009 9:45 PM ET
In the wake of Mike Holmgren stepping down as the Seattle Seahawks' coach following last season, he has become the subject of accusations that he didn't give a supreme effort.

According to Colin Cowherd of ESPN Radio, Holmgren "mailed it in" as the Seahawks skidded to a 4-12 season.

Citing a source, Cowherd said Friday that Holmgren didn't work very hard during the final weeks of the season.

Per Mike Sando of ESPN.com, here's what Cowherd had to say about Holmgren's work habits.

"A source told me late, like Week 13 or Week 14 in the NFL season, a source that does not want to be identified on this network, that Mike Holmgren had essentially mailed it in," Cowherd said on his syndicated radio show. "Very little energy, looking forward to retirement. Putting in 9-5 hours. Bill Belichick is going 5-9 p.m. There was very little cohesiveness.

"He was on his way out before Jim Mora took the job over. And it was sort of a un-energized last year in Seattle. Not that he mailed it in by your standards or my standards, but by NFL standards, 17 hours a day, Holmgren wasn't there emotionally."

Interesting.

While it's not exactly a shock that a coach or a short-timer in any profession might not exactly put in the overtime during their last couple of weeks on the job, it might not be out of character in Holmgren's case.

According to Sando, who covers the NFC West and has covered the Seahawks for several years, Holmgren typically worked short hours compared to his NFL brethren.

Sando noted that Holmgren traditionally would arrive around 9 in the morning and would work until 6:30 to 8 in the evening. That was reportedly how he conducted business, though, when the Seahawks were winning, too.

"Some people in the Seahawks organization were naturally pointing to the post-Holmgren era as their chance to shape the franchise," Sando wrote. "This did not make them anti-Holmgren; this made them human.

"Relative newcomers to the organization probably had a skewed view of the relatively short hours Holmgren worked because they weren't around when the team went 13-3 with Holmgren working a very similar schedule."

So, did Holmgren mail it in?

Not in Sando's estimation. However, he he did acknowledge that last season did take a major toll on the former Super Bowl winning coach.

"By the end, he didn't have a whole lot left," Sando wrote. "It was probably the most draining year of his career from a football standpoint. I'm sure that affected his energy levels during the season.

"Throw in his lame-duck status and I'm sure he wasn't as effective as he'd been in the past. I would not necessarily call that mailing it in."

Only Holmgren could honestly say for sure what his mindset was at that point.

However, it's something that a future prospective NFL employer will certainly be curious about down the road when/if Holmgren throws his hat in the ring for job openings.

Scott Campbell
07-18-2009, 09:18 PM
So I guess that's the 2nd time in his career that he mailed it in.

KYPack
07-18-2009, 09:32 PM
Yeah, I thought this was a thread about SB 32.

Bretsky
07-18-2009, 09:39 PM

Me too; thought it was another piece about letting TD score the TD

SnakeLH2006
07-19-2009, 12:22 AM
It may be true that Holmy mailed it in.....but Snake listens to ESPN radio daily. Cowherd is a coward. That dude does nothing but try to spin and dig at all things sports. He is prob. very smart, but quite a little beyatch. I don't trust him for a second. Golic should hold him down a fart on him.......Like 3 times...................on radio. :shock: 8-)

KYPack
07-19-2009, 10:40 AM

I was on a Packer forum at the time of SB 32. It was one of those un-moderated deals where fans of the other team come on and ruin threads by flaming all the supporters of the teams. The trolls were all stating that Holmy let that TD happen to get the ball back. For a very short time, I posted that there was no way MH would do that.. Shortly thereafter, the GB staff admitted they let Davis score to get the ball back.

I was Patlerized without even Patler atround!

Brando19
07-19-2009, 02:00 PM

I was on a Packer forum at the time of SB 32. It was one of those un-moderated deals where fans of the other team come on and ruin threads by flaming all the supporters of the teams. The trolls were all stating that Holmy let that TD happen to get the ball back. For a very short time, I posted that there was no way MH would do that.. Shortly thereafter, the GB staff admitted they let Davis score to get the ball back.

You had the internet back in 1998? I didn't get internet until I was in high school....2000 I think.

retailguy
07-19-2009, 02:40 PM

You had the internet back in 1998? I didn't get internet until I was in high school....2000 I think.

I started logging in back in 1996 (I think, it might have been 1995). I had an old Compaq 486-20 laptop. I think I used MSN Dialup.

Noodle
07-19-2009, 09:11 PM
Holmy mailing it in during SB 32 had more to do with the run up to the game, when it was clear he was on the way out, than it did with letting Davis score.

As to the score, I know this has been debated to death, but I thought it was the smart play, as we got the ball back with like 1:45 to play and two time outs. Otherwise, Denver would have, at a minimum, kicked a FG, we would have been out of TOs, and there would have been maybe a minute left. I think even Favre said it was the right thing to do.

Brando19
07-19-2009, 09:54 PM

I started logging in back in 1996 (I think, it might have been 1995). I had an old Compaq 486-20 laptop. I think I used MSN Dialup.

That really wasn't that long ago, and yet...it's hard to remember a time without internet. I know I would be bored to death at times without it.

swede
07-20-2009, 07:53 AM
It may be true that Holmy mailed it in.....but Snake listens to ESPN radio daily. Cowherd is a coward. That dude does nothing but try to spin and dig at all things sports. He is prob. very smart, but quite a little beyatch. I don't trust him for a second. Golic should hold him down a fart on him.......Like 3 times...................on radio. :shock: 8-)

QFT

I quit listening to him after he said that overweight middle-aged men are Phil Mickelson's core fan base because they are too wrapped up in supporting a pudgy aging sports hero to recognize and bow to Tiger's greatness.

The fact that I'm an overweight middle-aged man who roots for Phil Mickelson over Tiger has nothing to do with how I feel; I'm just being dispassionately analytical, I'm sure.

mraynrand
07-20-2009, 08:11 AM
I think Holmgen did a great job coaching the Packers, including SBXXXII. Of course, when you lose a close game, there are all sorts of quibbles, but the Broncos were not only a better team on that day, but showed themselves to be a team on the rise and better than the Packers for the foreseeable future. The Packers took them lightly, and paid the price. Holmgren also worked hard in 1998, and got blindsided by injuries and frankly by a GM who couldn't adequately restock his SB shelf. No wonder - a lot of his talent waned and Wolf let critical players depart without replacement. Maybe Holmgren mailed it in last year in Seattle (seems obvious), but he was great for the Packers - just had a big ego and wanted to run it all - next challenge, move up, bigger metro area, etc. Makes sense. Look at the Holmgren coaching staff and tell me he didn't know how to assemble a group of coaches, etc. Great coach.