PDA

View Full Version : British Open

Bossman641
07-20-2006, 11:33 AM
Anybody watching this? Thoughts?

If the wind doesn't pick up and this course fails to dry out they are going to tear this course apart. I'm hoping for a good showing from Duval.

Deputy Nutz
07-20-2006, 11:50 AM
I find the British Links courses interesting. All browned out, crusty looking.

Tiger 2 under after 11

hurleyfan
07-20-2006, 07:32 PM
Anybody watching this? Thoughts?

If the wind doesn't pick up and this course fails to dry out they are going to tear this course apart. I'm hoping for a good showing from Duval.
Hey boss,
I cannot watch because I have to work, but I love golf(fat / old / white guy, 'course I play lots of tennis and B-Ball too)) and would love to see Fred Couples make some noise! Duval would be a great story! Came from where? Oblivion the last few years right!

HarveyWallbangers
07-20-2006, 07:43 PM
I'm a Couples pimp. Too bad he had so much more talent than most golfers--before Tiger came along. He was happy to make his money and win a few tournaments. He could have been an all-time great if he wasn't so lazy. I'm a big Freddie fan, but I still feel he wasted so much talent. It's how I felt about Andre Agassi until he turned his career around with good, old-fashioned hard work. Freddie is a great guy though. I have a few family friends that lived down in Arizona when Fred was in his prime. They met/watched a lot of professional golfers. At the time Fred was in his prime, they'd tell me that he was a great guy, but he just didn't work hard at his game.

hurleyfan
07-20-2006, 07:47 PM
I'm a Couples pimp. Too bad he had so much more talent than most golfers--before Tiger came along. He was happy to make his money and win a few tournaments. He could have been an all-time great if he wasn't so lazy. I'm a big Freddie fan, but I still feel he wasted so much talent. It's how I felt about Andre Agassi until he turned his career around with good, old-fashioned hard work.
Great anology Harv! Never really thought of Couples be "lazy", but now that I think of it, he certainly should've done more with what he had.. If only his back would've let him turn it on the last few years, maybe he could've finished his career ala Agassi..

Bossman641
07-20-2006, 09:27 PM
I'm a Couples fan too. Come to think of it, I don't know anybody who doesn't like the guy.

I agree about him wasting his talent though. With the arrival of Tiger many golfers stepped up their preparation, both in practice and fitness. Couples was fine with just getting by on the talent he had. The last few years his back has really slowed him down.

Alot of big names up near the top of the leaderboard. I'm hoping for some wind so that the course plays a little tougher.

Deputy Nutz
07-20-2006, 10:00 PM
I'm a Couples pimp. Too bad he had so much more talent than most golfers--before Tiger came along. He was happy to make his money and win a few tournaments. He could have been an all-time great if he wasn't so lazy. I'm a big Freddie fan, but I still feel he wasted so much talent. It's how I felt about Andre Agassi until he turned his career around with good, old-fashioned hard work. Freddie is a great guy though. I have a few family friends that lived down in Arizona when Fred was in his prime. They met/watched a lot of professional golfers. At the time Fred was in his prime, they'd tell me that he was a great guy, but he just didn't work hard at his game.

I don't think that is fair assessment of Couples. Couples has had a chronic back problem for the majority of his career. He also married a woman that had kids from a previous marriage and then she got cancer. He of course took care of her, and her kids.

HarveyWallbangers
07-20-2006, 10:23 PM
When I said I had friends that met and watched him, this was long before he got back problems. I remember them telling me at the time that Freddie was lazy. They still really liked him. I'd love to defend Freddie as much as the next guy, and he's my favorite guy on tour, but I think a lot of his back problems came about because of how he treated his body.

hurleyfan
07-21-2006, 09:28 AM
Vacation day today so getting a chance to watch..

TNT just spent about 10 minutes showing Tiger's round! What the fuck?? There's lot's of live golf and we get to see his replay, and then some shots of him on the driving range.. I swear, the media acts with Tiger the way Madden does w/Favre!!

BTW, great round for Tiger, course record 65, he's at -12. Oh yeah, another guy (Chris Demarco) shot the same score as Tiger (65) and he got shit for coverage! We didn't see his complete replay....

hurleyfan
07-21-2006, 09:36 AM
Friking TNT is driving me crazy!

Now we get to watch a story about a rookie and his first experience :mad:

Can't they just show some golf?!?!

hurleyfan
07-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Anyone catch the final? If you're a golf fan, you had to enjoy the final day..

Tiger makes a run, DeMarco answers, and of course Tiger shuts them all out!

Watch out Jack, your record in Majors is in trouble!

KYPack
07-24-2006, 10:05 PM

I don't think that is fair assessment of Couples. Couples has had a chronic back problem for the majority of his career. He also married a woman that had kids from a previous marriage and then she got cancer. He of course took care of her, and her kids.

Freddie's first wife was a nightmare. She was the good looking blonde that used to run onto the 18th green and give Freddie the big hug in his early days. She went thru tons of Freddie's money (she bought bunches of polo ponies & shit) and he divorced her. She had big time mental problems and finally committed suicide about two years ago. She hung herself from the steeple of her church!

Rastak
07-24-2006, 10:27 PM
Anyone catch the final? If you're a golf fan, you had to enjoy the final day..

Tiger makes a run, DeMarco answers, and of course Tiger shuts them all out!

Watch out Jack, your record in Majors is in trouble!

I only make a point of watching one tourney a year and that's the British open. It was a great final round. Man, Tiger was crying harder than any dude I've seen on TV in a long time.

Deputy Nutz
07-24-2006, 10:30 PM
Reminded me when Jordan won his 4th championship on Fathers day.