PDA

View Full Version : Jerry (G.O.A.T.) Rice weighs in on Favre

MOBB DEEP
07-20-2009, 10:48 AM
in minn star tribune he said that he doesnt think brett can come back and play at a high level; kinda weird since brett put up probowl numbers before suffering injury that took SURGERY to fix - DUH....

he feels that vikings are stupid for forsaking the future (Tavaris and Sage) just to hope for a one-year miracle..im not into all the player moves/salary cap/draft issues of teams like many a geek is; i think more about the here and now since tomorrow isnt promised...i dont care about teams spendn money foolishly (in retrospect obviously) b/c it isnt MY money and pro sports are MERE ENTERTAINMENT (kinda like a movie production company spendn mad loot on a denzel movie - do what works for the best outcome NOW!)

personally, i love the on-field rice (black college, class act, etc); but he can be off-point at times. it's a win-now league and vikes WILL NOT go beyond last year's succcess w/o upgrade at QB position

thoughts

Fritz
07-20-2009, 10:52 AM
Daniel Snyder understands it's a 'win now" league, too.

sharpe1027
07-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Yesterday's actions go a long way to determining whether you win now, and today's actions will go a long way to determining whether you win tomorrow.

MOBB DEEP
07-20-2009, 10:59 AM

he he...i would LOVE him as an owner b/c im not caught up in the importance of..say..a third round pick

Patriots know whats up! got moss for what?? a 3rd rounder?

dayum

CaptainKickass
07-20-2009, 11:03 AM
in minn star tribune he said that he doesnt think brett can come back and play at a high level; kinda weird since brett put up probowl numbers before suffering injury that took SURGERY to fix - DUH....

he feels that vikings are stupid for forsaking the future (Tavaris and Sage) just to hope for a one-year miracle..im not into all the player moves/salary cap/draft issues of teams like many a geek is; i think more about the here and now since tomorrow isnt promised...i dont care about teams spendn money foolishly (in retrospect obviously) b/c it isnt MY money and pro sports are MERE ENTERTAINMENT (kinda like a movie production company spendn mad loot on a denzel movie - do what works for the best outcome NOW!)

personally, i love the on-field rice (black college, class act, etc); but he can be off-point at times. it's a win-now league and vikes WILL NOT go beyond last year's succcess w/o upgrade at QB position

thoughts

Linky?

Would love to read it.

bobblehead
07-20-2009, 11:43 AM

he he...i would LOVE him as an owner b/c im not caught up in the importance of..say..a third round pick

Patriots know whats up! got moss for what?? a 3rd rounder?

dayum

yea, one time in history the patriots traded a FOURTH round pick....the same round that TT had on the table, but about 5 picks higher. Otherwise they have refused to overpay people, and done a lot of building through the draft....Oh yea, and the patriots haven't won a superbowl since they had that stud on their team.

Waldo
07-20-2009, 12:15 PM
When was the last time a team brought in "the answer" to their biggest problem, that "got them over the hump" and "took them all the way" that season?

Zool
07-20-2009, 12:17 PM
Kevin Garnett and the 07-08 Celtics?

Football, can't think of an instance.

mraynrand
07-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Moses Malone, Philadelphia 76ers in 1983.
Trent Dilfer, Baltimore Ravens 2000. :lol:

MOBB DEEP
07-20-2009, 12:32 PM

best move ever; now we go rasheed too?!!!!

GO CELTS

MOBB DEEP
07-20-2009, 12:33 PM

thoughts

Linky?

Would love to read it.

im not versed in posting links sorry

who can??

mineappolis star

KYPack
07-20-2009, 02:23 PM
It's OK Mobb.
A man must know his limitations.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/51102172.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiD3aPc:_Yyc: aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

pbmax
07-20-2009, 02:39 PM

who can??

mineappolis star
Mobb, just click in the address bar of the browser while you are looking at the page you want to share. Copy it.

Come back to Packer Rats and Paste it into the message window with no tags. The software will apply the link code for you.

Noodle
07-20-2009, 02:48 PM

Charles Haley -- picked up by the Cowboys in '92, won SB in '92, their first since 1978. Huge difference maker as a pass rusher.

And Skin's eternal favorite due to his "I'll pleasure myself whenever I please" attitude.

Waldo
07-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Seems like the Vikes are pursuing a unicorn. The true "over the hump" player in the NFL......is a myth.

hoosier
07-20-2009, 03:15 PM

Charles Haley -- picked up by the Cowboys in '92, won SB in '92, their first since 1978. Huge difference maker as a pass rusher.

And Skin's eternal favorite due to his "I'll pleasure myself whenever I please" attitude.

Along those same lines, didn't Deion Sanders win back to back SBs for new teams--SF in 1994 and Dallas in '95? The irony, if I'm remembering correctly, is that Deion encouraged the perception that he was the "missing link" that led San Fran to its SB win. That line eventually alienated the team's core players and he left in free agency to sign with Dallas.

If you ask Deion, he's the answer to the "When's the last time" question. If you ask Rice or Young, on the other hand....

KYPack
07-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Couple guys that stand out in my mind:

Fred Dean went from SD to SF and gave the Niners ('82 SB Champs) a pass rush in '84.

And Reggie White from Philly to GB lead to out 97 SB. I know all the other pieces that were put in place, but without Big Reggie, I don't know if we would've gotten the trophy.

One guy can't do it all, but one key addition can tip the scales in your favor and get you over the top.

Waldo
07-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Couple guys that stand out in my mind:

Fred Dean went from SD to SF and gave the Niners ('82 SB Champs) a pass rush in '84.

And Reggie White from Philly to GB lead to out 97 SB. I know all the other pieces that were put in place, but without Big Reggie, I don't know if we would've gotten the trophy.

One guy can't do it all, but one key addition can tip the scales in your favor and get you over the top.

But if it takes Brett as long as it took Reggie, he'll have to be around until he's like 45. It took Reggie a few years.

If we consider Reggie an "over the hump player", if the 2009 team were to win the SB, likewise we would have to consider Woodson our "over the hump" player, as it would have taken him exactly as long to produce.

Rastak
07-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Seems like the Vikes are pursuing a unicorn. The true "over the hump" player in the NFL......is a myth.

Perhaps they feel they are merely improving one position on the team by aquiring an available veteran?

I really didn't see a single quote from Viking management saying he was some sort of final piece to the puzzle. No more than getting Charles Woodson was some final piece for Green Bay. TT merely improved his secondary.

Patler
07-20-2009, 04:13 PM
When was the last time a team brought in "the answer" to their biggest problem, that "got them over the hump" and "took them all the way" that season?

1996 - Green Bay Packers signed ....... Desmond Howard.
Hey, he was the Super Bowl MVP wasn't he?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

mraynrand
07-20-2009, 04:16 PM

I was on the same page with you, but now thinking about this 'over the hump' thing some more....If you are just talking about adding one missing piece, well sure, there's really no one over the hump guy because every NFL team changes a lot season to season. But from another perspective, if you just mean adding one guy to shore up a weak area to get you over the hump (as opposed to - for example - a total game changer that takes you from an average also ran to a champion) you could probably even cite Eugene Robinson or Santana Dotson. I guess it all depends on just how far below the hump you are before you add that 'missing piece.' But then you are talking about role players and the big dogs would already be in place. Where would Rodney Harrison fit in....

CaptainKickass
07-20-2009, 04:37 PM
It's OK Mobb.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/51102172.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiD3aPc:_Yyc: aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

Ok so I got the link, and read the story. Thanks KYPack.

I don't really see Jerry (GOAT) Rice "ripping" Favre. Was he candid - sure. Did he speak of his experience and how he could imagine what it would be like for Favre in his situation - yup.

Decent read though. Gotta repect the GOAT.

Waldo
07-20-2009, 06:25 PM
It's OK Mobb.

I don't really see Jerry (GOAT) Rice "ripping" Favre. Was he candid - sure. Did he speak of his experience and how he could imagine what it would be like for Favre in his situation - yup.

......You'd think that Packer fans at least would stick up for Don, and consider Jerry second fiddle....

Fritz
07-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Don Hutson - absolutely the best.

Did Jerry Rice ever hook his wrist around a goal post to make a 90 degree turn and a touchdown catch?

I like your line Ras....ah, they're just improving one area of the team.

That's like claiming that electing Obama was just shoring things up a bit...

MOBB DEEP
07-20-2009, 07:30 PM
It's OK Mobb.

he he.....

MOBB DEEP
07-20-2009, 07:32 PM

who can??

mineappolis star
Mobb, just click in the address bar of the browser while you are looking at the page you want to share. Copy it.

Come back to Packer Rats and Paste it into the message window with no tags. The software will apply the link code for you.

dang, its THAT simple? i feel like idiot

thanks PB

MOBB DEEP
07-20-2009, 07:38 PM

1996 - Green Bay Packers signed ....... Desmond Howard.
Hey, he was the Super Bowl MVP wasn't he?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

andre rison too he he

DannoMac21
07-20-2009, 09:28 PM

thoughts

My only thought is what Pro Bowl numbers did Favre put up last year?

Packgator
07-20-2009, 11:19 PM

If there ever is to be a "over the hump" player in the NFL........he'll be in his prime......not a "over the hill" 40 year old. I think it is a dumb move by the Vikings.....which is why I like it.

CaptainKickass
07-21-2009, 09:58 AM
It's OK Mobb.

......You'd think that Packer fans at least would stick up for Don, and consider Jerry second fiddle....

I love the Packers, but I'm not going to allow myself to get engaged in a generational debate. Pretty sure the record books support my stated commentary.

Don Hutson - absolutely the best.

Did Jerry Rice ever hook his wrist around a goal post to make a 90 degree turn and a touchdown catch?

Don gets his props. No disrespect to the Old School.

I also thoroughly enjoyed watching Jerry Rice reach up in the air and literally pull the ball down with one friggin hand all while in between the 4 arms of a safety and a corner who had tight double coverage, not to mention in stride.

If Don were aable to coach up Jennings at his "extra" camp along with Rice - that would be even better.

MOBB DEEP
07-22-2009, 03:25 PM
i dont think alot of the packer greats would be AS great in todays nfl; how many prime times and barry sanders were in the league then?

but who really knows??

KYPack
07-22-2009, 04:45 PM
i dont think alot of the packer greats would be AS great in todays nfl; how many prime times and barry sanders were in the league then?

but who really knows??

Night Train Lane and Jim Brown were there, youngblood.

The two you mentioned might not be as good as the OG's.

Fritz
07-22-2009, 11:04 PM

but who really knows??

I like to think what guys like Don Hutson woulda been like had they had the training methods, nutritional info, and medical care athletes today have.

Instead, guys were smokin' ciggies in the locker room and taking six months off after the season....