PDA

View Full Version : Uppity Black Angry at PoPo for Doing Their Job

SkinBasket
07-21-2009, 08:58 AM
Talk about looking for an excuse to cry about racism. You just broke into your own home and refused to come to the door, and were uncooperative afterward - but of course this is all about race. Thank goodness that the Reverend will be there to defend this guy's right to claim victimhood in place of utilizing common sense. His lawyer's already playing up the sick old black man with a cane abused by the black hating police angle. Hope and change is a one way street it seems.

Police Investigating Robbery Report Accused of Racism After Harvard Professor's Arrest

Tuesday, July 21, 2009
AP

BOSTON — Supporters of a prominent Harvard University black scholar who was arrested at his own home by police responding to a report of a break-in say he is the victim of racial profiling.

Henry Louis Gates Jr. had forced his way through the front door of his home because it was jammed, his lawyer said Monday.

Cambridge police say they responded to the well-maintained two-story home near campus after a woman reported seeing "two black males with backpacks on the porch," with one "wedging his shoulder into the door as if he was trying to force entry."

By the time police arrived, Gates was already inside. Police say he refused to come outside to speak with an officer, who told him he was investigating a report of a break-in.

"Why, because I'm a black man in America?" Gates said, according to a police report written by Sgt. James Crowley. The Cambridge police refused to comment on the arrest Monday.

Gates — the director of Harvard's W.E.B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research — initially refused to show the officer his identification, but then gave him a Harvard University ID card, according to police.

"Gates continued to yell at me, accusing me of racial bias and continued to tell me that I had not heard the last of him," the officer wrote.

Gates said he turned over his driver's license and Harvard ID — both with his photos — and repeatedly asked for the name and badge number of the officer, who refused.

He said he then followed the officer as he left his house onto his front porch, where he was handcuffed in front of other officers, Gates said in a statement released by his attorney, fellow Harvard scholar Charles Ogletree, on a Web site Gates oversees, TheRoot.com

He was arrested on a disorderly conduct charge after police said he "exhibited loud and tumultuous behavior." He was released later that day on his own recognizance. An arraignment was scheduled for Aug. 26.

Gates, 58, also refused to speak publicly Monday, referring calls to Ogletree.

"He was shocked to find himself being questioned and shocked that the conversation continued after he showed his identification," Ogletree said.

Ogletree declined to say whether he believed the incident was racially motivated, saying "I think the incident speaks for itself."

Some of Gates' African-American colleagues say the arrest is part of a pattern of racial profiling in Cambridge.

Allen Counter, who has taught neuroscience at Harvard for 25 years, said he was stopped on campus by two Harvard police officers in 2004 after being mistaken for a robbery suspect. They threatened to arrest him when he could not produce identification.

"We do not believe that this arrest would have happened if professor Gates was white," Counter said. "It really has been very unsettling for African-Americans throughout Harvard and throughout Cambridge that this happened."

The Rev. Al Sharpton said he will attend Gates' arraignment.

"This arrest is indicative of at best police abuse of power or at worst the highest example of racial profiling I have seen," Sharpton said. "I have heard of driving while black and even shopping while black but now even going to your own home while black is a new low in police community affairs."

Ogletree said Gates had returned from a trip to China on Thursday with a driver, when he found his front door jammed. He went through the back door into the home — which he leases from Harvard — shut off an alarm and worked with the driver to get the door open. The driver left, and Gates was on the phone with the property's management company when police first arrived.

Ogletree also disputed the claim that Gates, who was wearing slacks and a polo shirt and carrying a cane, was yelling at the officer.

"He has an infection that has impacted his breathing since he came back from China, so he's been in a very delicate physical state," Ogletree said.

Lawrence D. Bobo, the W.E.B Du Bois Professor of the Social Sciences at Harvard, said he met with Gates at the police station and described his colleague as feeling humiliated and "emotionally devastated."

"It's just deeply disappointing but also a pointed reminder that there are serious problems that we have to wrestle with," he said.

Bobo said he hoped Cambridge police would drop the charges and called on the department to use the incident to review training and screening procedures it has in place.

The Middlesex district attorney's office said it could not do so until after Gates' arraignment. The woman who reported the apparent break-in did not return a message Monday.

Gates joined the Harvard faculty in 1991 and holds one of 20 prestigious "university professors" positions at the school. He also was host of "African American Lives," a PBS show about the family histories of prominent U.S. blacks, and was named by Time magazine as one of the 25 most influential Americans in 1997.

"I was obviously very concerned when I learned on Thursday about the incident," Harvard president Drew Gilpin Faust said in a statement. "He and I spoke directly and I have asked him to keep me apprised."

Deputy Nutz
07-21-2009, 09:27 AM
It sure ain't Yale.

packinpatland
07-21-2009, 09:30 AM
Your title disgusts me.

The police were doing their job, responding to a could be break-in........ but
the whole incident should have ended at this point:

"He was shocked to find himself being questioned and shocked that the conversation continued after he showed his identification

I'd have gotten a bit riled at that point also.

Deputy Nutz
07-21-2009, 09:48 AM
Maybe the guy should respect police officers and not get all riled up because they are trying to keep peace and civility.

Again, where is his personal responsibility in all this? Why does every black person think they are Rosa Parks.

SkinBasket
07-21-2009, 10:12 AM
Maybe the guy should respect police officers and not get all riled up because they are trying to keep peace and civility.

Again, where is his personal responsibility in all this? Why does every black person think they are Rosa Parks.

You're amazingly lucid this morning. I agree with you 98%. I don't really understand your homophobic undertones though.

The guy's lucky he wasn't tasered -or worse - the moment he refused to comply with the request to come to the door. Showing your identification (after initially refusing to show it) doesn't give you the right to continue to abuse and harass the police officer. It also doesn't end the report the officer is going to have to write up on the incident - especially considering the man didn't own the house, so of course the officer's going to have more questions.

Most sane people, without some kind of agenda, or black paranoia, would have been apologetic and conciliatory toward officers called to investigate you breaking into your own house, not combative and abusive.

packinpatland
07-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Ever think this could have just been the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back?

Harlan Huckleby
07-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Most sane people, without some kind of agenda, or black paranoia, would have been apologetic and conciliatory toward officers called to investigate you breaking into your own house, not combative and abusive.

I'm not so sure about that. Not everybody is so understanding about government types coming on their land.

http://www.wildfinds.com/pics/redneck_mailbox.jpg

SkinBasket
07-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Even think this could have just been the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back?

Uhhhhh... what? Breaking into a home he's renting then refusing to show identification is reason to assume the police responding to a neighbor's call is racially motivated?

Freak Out
07-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Fucking pigs.

Fight the power!

Little Whiskey
07-21-2009, 01:29 PM

I'm not so sure about that. Not everybody is so understanding about government types coming on their land.

http://www.wildfinds.com/pics/redneck_mailbox.jpg

Didn't know my mailbox made it on the web? you should see the kids trying to smash that one with a ball bat.

PIP, could have had a phony ID. if he actually was a perp and had false ID and the police let him go, he proceeds to finish cleaning out the place. then who's at fault? they need to cover all bases

Harlan Huckleby
07-21-2009, 02:05 PM
I read the black prof's side of the story:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/21/AR2009072101771.html

Henry Louis Gates, is pretty famous, on TV a lot. I recently watched a great documentary he did on Abraham Lincoln.

It was a battle of egos. Gates demanded the name and badge number of the cop when he was in his house. The cop didn't like his tone and blew him off. Gates gets more indignant.

Gates lost his temper and was a bit of an ass. The cops were stupid to arrest him, they could easily have walked away.

SkinBasket
07-21-2009, 02:29 PM
Gates lost his temper and was a bit of an ass. The cops were stupid to arrest him, they could easily have walked away.

And would you have the same attitude if Gates wasn't a famous black academic? If an average white guy had to force entry into his home, which isn't owned by him, and refused to talk to the police who responded to the call, then refused to properly identify himself, and continued arguing with the officers after he finally did identify himself, you would expect them to simply walk away?

Of course the charges have already been dropped thanks to the efforts of the good Reverend and his lawyer playing the biggest race card we've seen in some time. Must be nice to be black at times like these. Maybe Rodney King was just a "battle of egos" too. This should be a two way street, this battle of egos thing.

hoosier
07-21-2009, 02:42 PM

And would you have the same attitude if Gates wasn't a famous black academic? If an average white guy had to force entry into his home, which isn't owned by him, and refused to talk to the police who responded to the call, then refused to properly identify himself, and continued arguing with the officers after he finally did identify himself, you would expect them to simply walk away?

Of course the charges have already been dropped thanks to the efforts of the good Reverend and his lawyer playing the biggest race card we've seen in some time. Must be nice to be black at times like these. Maybe Rodney King was just a "battle of egos" too. This should be a two way street, this battle of egos thing.

Read the WP article before you start jumping to conclusions about what Gates did and didn't do. He says he did show two IDs and that the cop refused to provide his badge #. Then it turned into a pissing match. These are details but they do make a difference. Gates's perspective, as I'm sure you know, is that he got "preferential" treatment that no white man in his own home would be likely to experience. Sometimes it's hard to judge the merits of that claim if you weren't there when it happened. So why all the enthusiasm for piling on old Skip Gates?

SkinBasket
07-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Read the WP article before you start jumping to conclusions about what Gates did and didn't do. He says he did show two IDs and that the cop refused to provide his badge #. Then it turned into a pissing match. These are details but they do make a difference. Gates's perspective, as I'm sure you know, is that he got "preferential" treatment that no white man in his own home would be likely to experience. Sometimes it's hard to judge the merits of that claim if you weren't there when it happened. So why all the enthusiasm for piling on old Skip Gates?

What follows is Gates's first public account of his arrest. He spoke to The Post in an hour-long phone interview while resting on Martha's Vineyard. Gates is a founder of the Root.com, (www.theroot.com), a Web site owned by The Washington Post Co.

Tell me you're kidding.

The stories based off the police report and not written for the expressed benefit of spreading Mr. Gates' victim status as a "black man in America," have made it clear that he did not show identification initially, he does not own the home, and he was more interested in his racial diatribe than working with - or even responding to - the officers who responded to the call.

The claim that somehow the police would have left had they shown up and an unidentified, uncooperative, white man was standing in the house saying, "Yeah, this is my house. The door was stuck," is ridiculous and absurd.

hoosier
07-21-2009, 03:09 PM

What follows is Gates's first public account of his arrest. He spoke to The Post in an hour-long phone interview while resting on Martha's Vineyard. Gates is a founder of the Root.com, (www.theroot.com), a Web site owned by The Washington Post Co.

Tell me you're kidding.

The stories based off the police report and not written for the expressed benefit of spreading Mr. Gates' victim status as a "black man in America," have made it clear that he did not show identification initially, he does not own the home, and he was more interested in his racial diatribe than working with - or even responding to - the officers who responded to the call.

The claim that somehow the police would have left had they shown up and an unidentified, uncooperative, white man was standing in the house saying, "Yeah, this is my house. The door was stuck," is ridiculous and absurd.

What difference does it make if Gates or Harvard owns the house if he's the legal resident? You assume from the beginning that the arresting officer's report must be beyond question, just like you assume that whatever Gates says must be opportunism and self-promotion. Kind of hard to take your outrage seriously when that's your starting point.

SkinBasket
07-21-2009, 03:34 PM

Tell me you're kidding.

What difference does it make if Gates or Harvard owns the house if he's the legal resident? You assume from the beginning that the arresting officer's report must be beyond question, just like you assume that whatever Gates says must be opportunism and self-promotion. Kind of hard to take your outrage seriously when that's your starting point.

I assume that the accounts other than the fluff piece you cite above are more accurate than the biographical account by Mr. Gates released as a "news" story by the Post.

Kiwon
07-21-2009, 05:32 PM
hoosier, have you read the arresting officer’s report?

Gates was arrested for disorderly conduct in public outside his home.

Can you justify why such a distinguished scholar as Dr. Gates would continue antagonizing the officer by acting like a street thug and shouting to the people on the sidewalk about how racist the officer was as he was outside, off the porch and leaving the residence?

Gates had already made his point to the gathering crowd several times. Why shouldn’t he be arrested after being warned to stop his activity and he ignores the officer’s instructions and continues with the racial taunts?

Wasn't Gates really the aggressor? Earlier, he had tried to use his status to embarrass and intimidate the officer when he repeatedly said, "You don't know who you are messing with!"?

Once outside, and in front of an audience, he turned up the heat another notch with racial taunts. He was asked to stop and he didn't. Again, why should he be above the law and not be arrested?

http://img.breitbart.com/images/2009/7/20/ap-p/e294c0ce-742f-469e-9a6d-a60020674fec.jpg

Freak Out
07-21-2009, 05:53 PM
I think if there was gun play involved I would be a bit more interested in this incident. Where's the news in cops "harassing" an old lippy black man in America?

SkinBasket
07-21-2009, 06:27 PM
I think if there was gun play involved I would be a bit more interested in this incident. Where's the news in cops "harassing" an old lippy black man in America?

They should have tased him. I don't know if that would have been more newsworthy, but it would have more cool.

Freak Out
07-21-2009, 06:31 PM

They should have tased him. I don't know if that would have been more newsworthy, but it would have more cool.

Ya.....a good "don't tase the professor" video would have been ok.

Harlan Huckleby
07-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Can you justify why such a distinguished scholar as Dr. Gates would continue antagonizing the officer by acting like a street thug and shouting to the people on the sidewalk about how racist the officer was as he was outside, off the porch and leaving the residence?

So what? It's a free country. If somebody on his own goddamn porch wants to complain to passers-by about the behavior of the cops, that's his right. Where is the law against "antagonizing the police"? We don't live in a police state. Maybe there is no free speech here at packerrats, but the government can't take it away from us just because some police egos are bruised.

hoosier
07-21-2009, 07:29 PM

No, I've only seen paraphrases of it in the OP's link. Have you read the report? Where did you find it? I'm sure you won't mind posting a link....

Like a street thug or like an angry black man? Maybe there's no difference between the two in your mind.

Why would Gates act that way? Well, maybe he felt he was the target of racial profiling and wasn't going to take it anymore. Maybe the cop had an attitude and Gates had an attitude and a pissing match began. My original point continues to be that WE DON'T REALLY KNOW because we weren't there. The police report and Gates's account are both subjective versions of what happened, and are no doubt colored by personal biases, self-justifications and anger. Why do you and Skinbasket keep referring to the police report as if it were written by a neutral, omniscient third party?

Wasn't Gates really the aggressor? Earlier, he had tried to use his status to embarrass and intimidate the officer when he repeatedly said, "You don't know who you are messing with!"?

The police report certainly paints the picture of Gates the aggressor. Gates's account describes a different picture. Maybe one is right and the other is a fabrication. Maybe the truth is somewhere in between. We don't know.

Harlan Huckleby
07-21-2009, 07:31 PM
Why do you and Skinbasket keep referring to the police report as if it were written by a neutral, omniscient third party?

A cop gets in a shouting match with an angry old curmudgeon. Then he finds out the dude is famous. What do you think the cop is going to write in the report? OF course it will be CYA time.

Kiwon
07-21-2009, 07:40 PM

So what? It's a free country. If somebody on his own goddamn porch wants to complain to passers-by about the behavior of the cops, that's his right. Where is the law against "antagonizing the police"? We don't live in a police state. Maybe there is no free speech here at packerrats, but the government can't take it away from us just because some police egos are bruised.

Quit fudging. Look at the dangerous disorderly conduct. Things were starting to get crazy. I think he had already called Al Sharpton and he was on the way. (just kidding)

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090721/capt.0fb799e524bc46ddab7ba290713aec51.aptopix_harv ard_scholar_disorderly_ny133.jpg

Kiwon
07-21-2009, 07:53 PM

No, I've only seen paraphrases of it in the OP's link. Have you read the report? Where did you find it? I'm sure you won't mind posting a link....

Like a street thug or like an angry black man? Maybe there's no difference between the two in your mind.

Why would Gates act that way? Well, maybe he felt he was the target of racial profiling and wasn't going to take it anymore. Maybe the cop had an attitude and Gates had an attitude and a pissing match began. My original point continues to be that WE DON'T REALLY KNOW because we weren't there. The police report and Gates's account are both subjective versions of what happened, and are no doubt colored by personal biases, self-justifications and anger. Why do you and Skinbasket keep referring to the police report as if it were written by a neutral, omniscient third party?

The police report certainly paints the picture of Gates the aggressor. Gates's account describes a different picture. Maybe one is right and the other is a fabrication. Maybe the truth is somewhere in between. We don't know.

hoosier, the police report is available. I read it yesterday. You can find it if you look.

Question for you: Why do you assume that the police officer is an untrustworthy source?

So a street thug, an angry black man, or America's most prominent Black scholar using racial taunts to gin up a crowd against a Caucasian officer is all equally acceptable behavior to you?

hoosier
07-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Question for you: Why do you assume that the police officer is an untrustworthy source?

So a street thug, an angry black man, or America's most prominent Black scholar using racial taunts to gin up a crowd against a Caucasian officer is all equally acceptable behavior to you?

Where did I say the cop was unreliable? And who decided that Gates was taunting and not telling it like it was?

Why are you so quick to judge others, Kiwon?

Harlan Huckleby
07-21-2009, 08:52 PM
I see that Gates is going to make a documentary about his experience.

I think Gates really should shut-up at this point. Gates is certain that the cop was being racially biased. The cop took offense at being called a racist. If Gates was wronged, he's already had his moment on the soap box.

hoosier
07-21-2009, 08:59 PM
I see that Gates is going to make a documentary about his experience.

I think Gates really should shut-up at this point. Gates is certain that the cop was being racially biased. The cop took offense at being called a racist. If Gates was wronged, he's already had his moment on the soap box.

Gates doesn't do "moments" on the soap box. :lol:

SkinBasket
07-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Why do you and Skinbasket keep referring to the police report as if it were written by a neutral, omniscient third party?

A cop gets in a shouting match with an angry old curmudgeon. Then he finds out the dude is famous. What do you think the cop is going to write in the report? OF course it will be CYA time.

Nice job ignoring Gates' escalation of the entire event from the time the police arrived, and after he finally lowered himself enough to show the white policeman his ID. But of course, you guys are going to take the WP "story" as truth, so there's not much helpin' you there.

mraynrand
07-21-2009, 09:26 PM
I like to run at night - late at night. So I head out at about midnight, run my 9 miles and as I'm opening my back door - which I left unlocked, after 1 AM, I see the red and blue fire up and the cop asks me over the loudspeaker. What are you doing? I tell him that I live here, I was out on a run and I'll get him my drivers license. I step inside get my wallet and show him my ID. Then I thank him for checking and he tells me I should keep my door locked. He drives away and I go take a shower. Despite being of different races, the whole thing went down pretty smoothly, despite the unusual circumstances. Turns out there had been some break ins in the neighborhood over the past few months and a lady on the street had seen some dark guy running around after midnight. She was suspicious. I would have been too. Ultimately I talked to her at a block party and now she knows I run late. I threw a rock through her window so she won't get too cocky, though.

Freak Out
07-21-2009, 10:32 PM
I like to run at night - late at night. So I head out at about midnight, run my 9 miles and as I'm opening my back door - which I left unlocked, after 1 AM, I see the red and blue fire up and the cop asks me over the loudspeaker. What are you doing? I tell him that I live here, I was out on a run and I'll get him my drivers license. I step inside get my wallet and show him my ID. Then I thank him for checking and he tells me I should keep my door locked. He drives away and I go take a shower. Despite being of different races, the whole thing went down pretty smoothly, despite the unusual circumstances. Turns out there had been some break ins in the neighborhood over the past few months and a lady on the street had seen some dark guy running around after midnight. She was suspicious. I would have been too. Ultimately I talked to her at a block party and now she knows I run late. I threw a rock through her window so she won't get too cocky, though.

I feel better knowing that Adam 12 is still out there doing good.....and that you're getting a nice cardio workout in.

Harlan Huckleby
07-21-2009, 11:27 PM
Nice job ignoring Gates' escalation of the entire event from the time the police arrived, and after he finally lowered himself enough to show the white policeman his ID.

I didn't mention this part because the cop and Gates have conflicting stories of what happenned. I really don't know who to beleive, you have accepted the cop's version. What we know for sure is that they got into an argument.

I do agree with you half-way. It is a joke for Gates to blow this incident up into a lynching of his personhood.

Scott Campbell
07-21-2009, 11:44 PM
Joe Horn should shoot that fool.

Deputy Nutz
07-21-2009, 11:49 PM
I hate cops, they once took my fireworks at gun point.

Anyways,

Again this old fuck thinks he is Rosa "fucking" Parks.

Freak Out
07-22-2009, 12:01 AM
The cops should never have arrested him...I don't care how much yelling he did. He proved he had a right to be there and they overreacted after he got lippy. That said he should let this one go now and try and regain some dignity. Continuing the racial bitchfest will accomplish nothing.

mraynrand
07-22-2009, 04:28 AM
The cops should never have arrested him...I don't care how much yelling he did. He proved he had a right to be there and they overreacted after he got lippy. That said he should let this one go now and try and regain some dignity. Continuing the racial bitchfest will accomplish nothing.

Pretty much summarizes what I think. Cops didn't need to 'win' the pissing match once they figured out it wasn't B&E. They exceeded their role. Guy probably acted like an asshat but that doesn't give the cops the right to powertrip on the guy. Some good may come of this however - Al Sharpton might eventually get arrested.

Zool
07-22-2009, 08:56 AM

Pretty much summarizes what I think. Cops didn't need to 'win' the pissing match once they figured out it wasn't B&E. They exceeded their role. Guy probably acted like an asshat but that doesn't give the cops the right to powertrip on the guy. Some good may come of this however - Al Sharpton might eventually get arrested.

Because a cop was an asshole, that makes him racist? Cops are assholes to white people too.

Deputy Nutz
07-22-2009, 09:28 AM

Because a cop was an asshole, that makes him racist? Cops are assholes to white people too.

See fireworks.

SkinBasket
07-22-2009, 11:45 AM

Cops are even more assholish when they have reason to believe you may be committing a crime and you refuse to speak to them or show them identification.

I've changed my mind. They shouldn't have tased him, they should have shot him in the cock.

packinpatland
07-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Somehow Skin...........and it may not be a stretch..... you related to
Byron De La Beckwith?

SkinBasket
07-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Byron De La Beckwith?

Yes, I'm a white supremacist because I don't immediately jump on board with this guy attempting to excuse his stupid, asinine, self-important behavior by claiming the police are racist and he's just a poor victim.

That's a stupid thing to say PIP, but not surprising given you're simply mimicking Mr. Gates' behavior. Don't refute the argument - just call everyone else a racist. It worked for him, after all.

http://www.stlamerican.com/content/articles/2009/07/20/entertainment/living_it/livingit0000000001.jpg
HaHa! It's Obamatime bitches!
You don't know who you dealin'
with!

swede
07-22-2009, 12:58 PM
I've changed my mind. They shouldn't have tased him, they should have shot him in the cock.

Talk to me, Red! RED!

Oh, Red, they've done gone and shot you.

http://sjsandteam.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/rooster1.jpg

SkinBasket
07-22-2009, 01:01 PM
You are a word nerd. Could you stand over by the math club? You'll scare all the hot chicks away.

mraynrand
07-22-2009, 01:04 PM

Cops are even more assholish when they have reason to believe you may be committing a crime and you refuse to speak to them or show them identification.

I think once they figured out he was in his 'own' home and wasn't breaking in, they should have left. They certainly could have told him to go *uck himself as they left. That probably would have been satisfying and have gotten them in less trouble than cuffing him.

packinpatland
07-22-2009, 01:23 PM
Byron De La Beckwith?

Yes, I'm a white supremacist because I don't immediately jump on board with this guy attempting to excuse his stupid, asinine, self-important behavior by claiming the police are racist and he's just a poor victim.

That's a stupid thing to say PIP, but not surprising given you're simply mimicking Mr. Gates' behavior. Don't refute the argument - just call everyone else a racist. It worked for him, after all.

http://www.stlamerican.com/content/articles/2009/07/20/entertainment/living_it/livingit0000000001.jpg
with!

No Skin, the title of this thread is stupid, it started there.

SkinBasket
07-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Byron De La Beckwith?

with!

No Skin, the title of this thread is stupid, it started there.

Because this discussion has been about the title of the thread?

SkinBasket
07-22-2009, 01:39 PM

I think once they figured out he was in his 'own' home and wasn't breaking in, they should have left. They certainly could have told him to go *uck himself as they left. That probably would have been satisfying and have gotten them in less trouble than cuffing him.

It sounds more to me like at some point during the confrontation, which he initiated, he decided he was going to make his absurd claims of "this is what happens to black men in America" reality by continuing to rant about the police as they left the place, after the police gave him more leeway than I would expect if I were found breaking into my own home, then refusing to speak to the responding officers and refusing to identify myself.

Gates said he plans to use the attention and turn his intellectual heft and stature to the issue of racial profiling. He now wants to create a documentary on the criminal justice system, informed by the experience of being arrested not as a famous academic but as an unrecognized black man.

Gates has come to see the incident as a modern lesson in racism and the criminal justice system.

Kind of convenient given it's his specialty. Now Mr. Gates has some "street cred."

mraynrand
07-22-2009, 02:17 PM
I don't doubt that much of what you say is true Skin. Most of the time it's better, though, to ignore the guy on the corner in his bathrobe proclaiming the end of the world, rather than argue with him and grant him the credibility of your attention. The police should have replaced the tinfoil hat on Mr. (Err DR.) Gate's head and said have a nice day.

SkinBasket
07-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Which is also true, though a majority of the police officers I've met aren't great thinkers, and typically aren't good at being yelled at. As a matter of procedure, I'm pretty sure most probably prefer that their instructions be complied with as well. I think at some point, a person like Mr. Gates essentially arrests themselves through non-compliance, commotion, and sheer stubbornness.

GrnBay007
07-22-2009, 05:25 PM
I think at some point, a person like Mr. Gates essentially arrests themselves through non-compliance, commotion, and sheer stubbornness.

Bingo!

and that has nothing to do with color.

MJZiggy
07-22-2009, 05:47 PM
I think at some point, a person like Mr. Gates essentially arrests themselves through non-compliance, commotion, and sheer stubbornness.

Bingo!

and that has nothing to do with color.

No, there's plenty of white guys who get arrested for sheer belligerence. Look. Someone forces his way into my house I want the cops there asking a lot of questions. Even if it were me that forced the door open. There was no need to get crusty in the first place...just show 'em your id and move on with life. Geez.

MJZiggy
07-22-2009, 05:50 PM
You are a word nerd. Could you stand over by the math club? You'll scare all the hot chicks away.

There are hot chicks here?

retailguy
07-22-2009, 06:08 PM

There are hot chicks here?

Ah!.... nevermind. :oops:

Cheesehead Craig
07-22-2009, 09:51 PM
Why do people feel the need to be smartasses to cops? Guy got on a power trip against the cops, was looking for a fight and got what he deserved. It's not a black thing, it's not a white thing, it's a dumbass thing.

HarveyWallbangers
07-23-2009, 12:27 AM
Why do people feel the need to be smartasses to cops? Guy got on a power trip against the cops, was looking for a fight and got what he deserved. It's not a black thing, it's not a white thing, it's a dumbass thing.

What you said. I think most of us know that many (most?) cops have huge egos, but it's best to be cordial, feed the ego, and move on. Most of us learn that at a young age. Being wrongly arrested and/or beaten down by the cops will teach you that. Of course, the beaten down part is usually our own fault for acting a fool while intoxicated.

Tarlam!
07-23-2009, 12:50 AM
This story epitomizes the side of the USA that I don't really envy. No doubt there was extreme prejudice and exploitation historically (not unlike in any other country). The pendulum of protecting the abused , however, has swung way past mid point and is heading back to the other extreme (racially e.g. Dr. Gates, domestically e.g. divorce settlements, sexually e.g. Roethlisberger's rape case etc.).

It seems to be sufficient for one to simply make a claim, albeit loudly and/or publicly, and enough proverbial mud sticks to the wall for litigation of sorts to rear its head.

I blame your civil courts system and the exaggerated compensation sums awarded for much of the woes.

And, I blame your lawyers.

Kiwon
07-23-2009, 03:31 AM
What is Obama doing commenting over 2 minutes on this case with the national media? Obviously, he took the side of Dr. Gates in saying that "the Cambridge police acted stupidly."

http://www.foxnews.com/images/root_images/072309_stuparrest.jpg

.................................................. .......................................

Obama: Cambridge police acted 'stupidly'

After spending most of an hour patiently reiterating his arguments for changing the health insurance system, President Barack Obama turned his press conference sharply toward an iconic moment in American race relations: The arrest of Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. earlier this week by the Cambridge Police.

Gates was arrested for allegedly disorderly conduct -- a charge that was quickly dropped -- after a confrontation with a police officer inside his own home. Though some facts of the case are still in dispute, Obama showed little doubt about who had been wronged.

"I don’t know – not having been there and not seeing all the facts – what role race played in that, but I think it’s fair to say, number one, any of us would be pretty angry; number two that the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home," Obama said in response to a question from the Chicago Sun-Times's Lynn Sweet.

Gates, Obama allowed, "is a friend, so I may be a little biased here. I don't know all the facts."

However Gates, he continued, "jimmied his way to get into [his own] house."

"There was a report called in to the police station that there might be a burglary taking place – so far so good," Obama said, reflecting that he'd hope the police were called if he were seen breaking into his own house, then pausing.

"I guess this is my house now," he remarked of the White House. "Here I’d get shot."

Undergirding the long digression, though, was Obama's place as a new symbol of racial reconciliation, and his long past in the trenches of the politics of race and discrimination in the Illinois State Senate.

"Separate and apart from this incident is that there’s a long history in this country of African-American and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately," the president said, eagerly engaging the issue of racial profiling, a concern earlier in his career that has seen little White House attention to date.

"That’s just a fact," Obama said of profiling. "That doesn't lessen the incredibly progress that has been made."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0709/Obama_Cambridge_police_acted_stupidly.html

Also: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/07/22/obama-says-police-acted-stupidly-harvard-professors-arrest/?test=latestnews

SkinBasket
07-23-2009, 07:15 AM
This story epitomizes the side of the USA that I don't really envy. No doubt there was extreme prejudice and exploitation historically (not unlike in any other country). The pendulum of protecting the abused , however, has swung way past mid point and is heading back to the other extreme (racially e.g. Dr. Gates, domestically e.g. divorce settlements, sexually e.g. Roethlisberger's rape case etc.).

It seems to be sufficient for one to simply make a claim, albeit loudly and/or publicly, and enough proverbial mud sticks to the wall for litigation of sorts to rear its head.

I blame your civil courts system and the exaggerated compensation sums awarded for much of the woes.

And, I blame your lawyers.

Good to see you sexy. I think more than any aspect of the legal system, it's simply a culture of victimhood that's pervaded the people of this nation. One symptom of that culture is what you see in the legal system. You have judges that will always side with the "little guy" against corporations no matter the evidence. You have juries that do the same, claiming "we don't know if they're guilty or not, but they can afford to be." Mr. Gates is allowed to hide his inexcusable behavior toward those who uphold the law behind his victim status. And on it goes.

Very few people seem to believe in accepting responsibility and consequences of their own actions (or lack of action) these days. If shit doesn't go the way they want it to, it's always someone else's fault. Either someone with money, or someone in government. It really is sickening, and this new administration has done nothing but promote the idea of victimhood over personal responsibility. Now we're bailing out entire corporations, paying for poor decisions, pouring more money into the labor unions that have drained all profitability from an industry.

SkinBasket
07-23-2009, 07:21 AM
What is Obama doing commenting over 2 minutes on this case with the national media? Obviously, he took the side of Dr. Gates in saying that "the Cambridge police acted stupidly."

How very presidential. Promoting the unassailable victim status of black America. Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. And he has the stupidity to make those remarks immediately after prefacing it with, ""I don’t know – not having been there and not seeing all the facts – what role race played in that."

Great Mr. President. You don't know what happened, but the black guy must be right.

with!

Harlan Huckleby
07-23-2009, 08:33 AM
The facts of this case are so murky that both sides of the argument can believe their own version.

I am OK with Obama saying that the police acted stupidly in arresting Gates. I see nothing that he did or was even accused of doing that merit arresting him in his own home.

On the other hand, Obama prefaced his remarks with talk of racism and profiling, thus hinting that the police officer was racist. I do agree that there was a clear, unarguable case of racial profiling. Gates assumed that the police officer was racist because he was white.

Kiwon
07-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Obama is so undisciplined and imprecise with his speech. He has already offended several foreign allies, emboldened adversaries and offered so many half-truths on his policy proposals that it makes almost anything he says suspect.

Rohm needs to tell him to steer clear of the Gates affair because it endangers his grandiose plans on health care and cap-and-trade. Implicitly or explicitly if he verbally paints Americans as generally "racists" his legislative goose is cooked.

Kiwon
07-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Watch this interview with the officer

http://wbztv.com/video/?id=79265@wbz.dayport.com

Freak Out
07-23-2009, 11:53 AM
I have to say I was rather surprised to hear him talk about the situation. Very unprofessional in my opinion.

Tarlam!
07-23-2009, 12:01 PM
...Very unprofessional in my opinion.

Maybe, but bloody-well understandable under the circumstances.

I find Obama's comments (the fact that he made them) demonstrative of questionable judgement for the President of the most powerful nation on the planet.

packinpatland
07-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Obama is so undisciplined and imprecise with his speech. He has already offended several foreign allies, emboldened adversaries and offered so many half-truths on his policy proposals that it makes almost anything he says suspect.

Yes......so unlike the articulate Mr. Bush.

retailguy
07-23-2009, 12:36 PM

So, the best comparison you've got is to Bush? :shock:

Isn't it possible that the standard should be set higher.... than both of them?

Isn't it also possible that even the inarticulate President Bush would have NOT weighed in on this at all?

SkinBasket
07-23-2009, 12:40 PM

:roll:

I can imagine what you lot would have had to say if Bush had involved himself in a local police matter that he didn't know anything about on behalf of a friend and called the actions of the law enforcement who dared arrest his prominent friend "stupid."

DEFINE: Articulate
http://confusedofcalcutta.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/teleprompter.jpg

hoosier
07-23-2009, 01:25 PM
I have to say I was rather surprised to hear him talk about the situation. Very unprofessional in my opinion.

What was really unprofessional was the cop's first words when the interviewer brought up Obama: "I didn't vote for him." First of all, his political leanings should have nothing to do with anything in this matter. But the fact that he felt the need to bring it up suggests that maybe they do.

Freak Out
07-23-2009, 01:31 PM

What was really unprofessional was the cop's first words when the interviewer brought up Obama: "I didn't vote for him." First of all, his political leanings should have nothing to do with anything in this matter. But the fact that he felt the need to bring it up suggests that maybe they do.

I rarely click a link Kiwon has provided :) and had no desire to hear what the cop had to say. I just think Obama needed to keep his comments to himself in that situation.

mraynrand
07-23-2009, 01:55 PM

The cop isn't President. The President admitted to being biased and not knowing the facts. Given this as his foundation, it was foolhardy to say the Officer acted stupidly.

The President called out the Cop at a national press conference, with admittedly insufficient information and bias. I think that pretty much opens the door for the cop to speak his mind - especially if an interviewer asks the question. Yes, it would have been very professional - and would have ben taking the high road - to simply stick to the case, but it's very human to strike back when someone smacks you hard upside the head. At least the Cop knows the facts of the case.

SkinBasket
07-23-2009, 02:31 PM

What's unprofessional about saying you didn't vote for a guy who just insulted you and and the thankless job you do on national television after being falsely accused of being a racist by one of his prominent friends? That is some weak shit right there hoosier. Almost as weak as suggesting that the police officer's political leanings are why he arrested the president's buddy. Everyone's a fucking victim of the vast right wing conspiracy...

You also ignore how the cop went on to say he supports our president 110% but I suppose that doesn't fit your smear job you and others are busy conducting.

SkinBasket
07-23-2009, 04:08 PM
"Let me be clear, he was not calling the officer stupid," Gibbs told reporters as Obama landed in Cleveland for two health care events Thursday. He said Obama felt that "at a certain point the situation got far out of hand" at Gates' home last week.

This sounds a lot like when Obama insulted retarded people, but then insisted he was only making fun of himself (by comparing himself to a retarded person). Now the cop isn't stupid, just the actions the officer took were stupid. I wonder if Obama has read the reports of the incident yet. I doubt it since he seems not to have reached section 102 of the health care reform bill that he's pushing so hard on all of us. Must be busy with more pressing matters - like prime time infomercials selling his reform bill he hasn't read.

An apology from our esteemed leader could set the tone between the other parties involved and cap the tensions where they're at. Instead we get more rhetoric and excuses.

hoosier
07-23-2009, 04:28 PM
You also ignore how the cop went on to say he supports our president 110% but I suppose that doesn't fit your smear job you and others are busy conducting.

My smear job? :lol: :lol: The only smear job I've been associated with this week is the peanut butter sandwiches I make for my 6-year old's camp lunches. Nice try tho.

SkinBasket
07-23-2009, 04:31 PM

My smear job? :lol: :lol: The only smear job I've been associated with this week is the peanut butter sandwiches I make for my 6-year old's camp lunches. Nice try tho.

Do you accuse an officer of being unprofessional and politically motivated in his job while making the sandwiches, or do you keep your smearing separate?

Kiwon
07-23-2009, 07:53 PM

Do you accuse an officer of being unprofessional and politically motivated in his job while making the sandwiches, or do you keep your smearing separate?

hoosier, I'll give you a free intervention. Don't worry about paying me. It's part of my service to humanity.

Skin thinks that you are being biased. I agree. Somewhere, Tyrone Bigguns agrees. Heck, even your 6-year old agrees. All God's children agree that you're biased. :wink: But, of course, you don't see yourself as biased.

For example, you said in the Sotomayor thread, "I think all reasonable people would agree that that history, in which white men have a death grip on power and authority, is something we are in the process of moving beyond as a country."

So, in your mind, “all reasonable people” should accept the facts that “white men” tend toward injustice. I think that statements like these are objectively biased statements against whites. Statements like this also sound like it could have come out of the pages of a Dr. Gates book. Isn't this really why you refuse to be objective? Gates and his description of the incident represent/promotes your own personal world view; noted Black scholar - good, Caucasian police officer - bad.

Obama admits he doesn't know the facts, but in true Obama (and liberal) fashion, he doesn't need to know all the facts to come a conclusion; distinguished and smart African-American scholar Gates is right and the white officer is stupid and wrong.

The template is already prepared, the dye is already cast for you, Dr. Gates, and Obama. Isn't it just ideological bias that leads you to so easily side with Dr. Gates' version of events and completely disregard the explanation and position of the Caucasian officer?

SkinBasket
07-24-2009, 07:40 AM
President Obama said Thursday he was surprised by all the hubbub over his comments that a white police officer had acted "stupidly" in arresting a prominent black scholar for disorderly conduct. The president didn't take back his words, but he allowed that he understood the sergeant who made the arrest is an "outstanding police officer."

"I have to say I am surprised by the controversy surrounding my statement," Obama said in an interview with ABC News, "because I think it was a pretty straightforward comment that you probably don't need to handcuff a guy, a middle-aged man who uses a cane, who's in his own home."

The sad part is that by this point, I actually believe he is surprised.

SkinBasket
07-24-2009, 11:36 AM
And the black politicians keep inflaming the situation:

But Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, once the top civil rights official in the Clinton administration and now, like Obama, the first black to hold his job, labeled the arrest "every black man's nightmare."

The governor told reporters: "You ought to be able to raise your voice in your own house without risk of arrest."

The "racist" officer in question has spent 5 of the last 6 years volunteering his time, at the request of his black superior officer, teaching new recruits how to avoid racial profiling. Looks like Henry and his political pals chose the wrong non-event to try to blow up into national race victimhood festival. It's really unfortunate our President decided to stick his face into this pathetic attempt at racial division by a self important, intellectually dishonest man with an agenda and friends in high places.

Patler
07-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Sorry if this has already been posted. If it has, I didn't catch it.
You can read the actual incident reports from the two officers here:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0723092gates1.html

SkinBasket
07-24-2009, 12:25 PM
An apology from our esteemed leader could set the tone between the other parties involved and cap the tensions where they're at. Instead we get more rhetoric and excuses.

White House spokesman Roberts Gibbs said Friday that Obama regrets that the media have gotten all worked up over the controversy and been distracted from other more substantive issues such as health care.

He regrets that the media has been distracted from pushing his agenda? How very noble of our esteemed ruler to stir the race pot, then run away. This fucking guy just does not get it. At first I thought he was just arrogant, but I'm really starting to believe he's just kind of stupid. And arrogant. But I'll be damned if he can't read scrolling words like no one's business!

Scott Campbell
07-24-2009, 12:35 PM
http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/2299085/posts

The Cambridge cop prominent Harvard University professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. claims is a racist gave a dying Reggie Lewis mouth-to-mouth resuscitation in a desperate bid to save the Celtics [team stats] superstar’s life 16 years ago Monday. “I wasn’t working on Reggie Lewis the basketball star. I wasn’t working on a black man. I was working on another human being,” Sgt. James Crowley, in an exclusive interview with the Herald, said of the forward’s fatal heart attack July 27, 1993, at age 27 during an off-season practice at Brandeis University, where Crowley was a campus police officer. It’s a date Crowley still can recite by rote - and he still recalls the pain he suffered when people back then questioned whether he had done enough to save the black athlete. “Some people were saying ‘There’s the guy who killed Reggie Lewis’ afterward. I was broken-hearted. I cried for many nights,” he said. Crowley, 42, said he’s not a racist, despite how some have cast his actions in the Gates case. “Those who know me know I’m not,” he said. Yesterday, Lewis’ widow, Donna Lewis, was floored to learn the embattled father of three on the thin blue line of a national debate on racism in America was the same man so determined to rescue her husband. “That’s incredible,” Lewis, 44, exclaimed. “It’s an unfortunate situation. Hopefully, it can resolve itself. The most important thing is peace.”

Scott Campbell
07-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Would Gates and Obama treat a black officer like this?

Patler
07-24-2009, 01:15 PM
http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/2299085/posts

The Cambridge cop prominent Harvard University professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. claims is a racist gave a dying Reggie Lewis mouth-to-mouth resuscitation in a desperate bid to save the Celtics [team stats] superstar’s life 16 years ago Monday. “I wasn’t working on Reggie Lewis the basketball star. I wasn’t working on a black man. I was working on another human being,” Sgt. James Crowley, in an exclusive interview with the Herald, said of the forward’s fatal heart attack July 27, 1993, at age 27 during an off-season practice at Brandeis University, where Crowley was a campus police officer. It’s a date Crowley still can recite by rote - and he still recalls the pain he suffered when people back then questioned whether he had done enough to save the black athlete. “Some people were saying ‘There’s the guy who killed Reggie Lewis’ afterward. I was broken-hearted. I cried for many nights,” he said. Crowley, 42, said he’s not a racist, despite how some have cast his actions in the Gates case. “Those who know me know I’m not,” he said. Yesterday, Lewis’ widow, Donna Lewis, was floored to learn the embattled father of three on the thin blue line of a national debate on racism in America was the same man so determined to rescue her husband. “That’s incredible,” Lewis, 44, exclaimed. “It’s an unfortunate situation. Hopefully, it can resolve itself. The most important thing is peace.”

Interesting twist to this case, isn't it?

Cheesehead Craig
07-24-2009, 01:16 PM
And the black politicians keep inflaming the situation:

But Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, once the top civil rights official in the Clinton administration and now, like Obama, the first black to hold his job, labeled the arrest "every black man's nightmare."

The governor told reporters: "You ought to be able to raise your voice in your own house without risk of arrest."

The "racist" officer in question has spent 5 of the last 6 years volunteering his time, at the request of his black superior officer, teaching new recruits how to avoid racial profiling. Looks like Henry and his political pals chose the wrong non-event to try to blow up into national race victimhood festival. It's really unfortunate our President decided to stick his face into this pathetic attempt at racial division by a self important, intellectually dishonest man with an agenda and friends in high places.

The Governor needs to look at the laws of his own state. You can't be in your own home or anywhere for that matter raising your voice and saying whatever you like. What if the governor's neighbor was a white supremacist and all day long was "raising his voice" in his own home about how he felt about the gov. Would the gov then be behind his neighbor about his freedom to speak how he wanted? Yeah, right. :roll:

Scott Campbell
07-24-2009, 01:20 PM
He didn't get arrested for making the stink inside. He got arrested for continuing to be an ass outside, and disturbing the peace.

Sounds like a case of race baiting to me. I wonder if Harvard should consider disciplinary action. And I wonder if Obama will pay for his racist comments during the next election.

SkinBasket
07-24-2009, 02:30 PM
President Obama stopped short of an apology to Sgt. James Crowley on Friday for saying he "acted stupidly" for arresting black Harvard scholar Henry Lewis Gates Jr., but said he should have chosen his words more carefully.

At an impromptu appearance at the daily White House briefing, Obama said he spoke with Crowley over the phone, and said he wanted to share a beer with Crowley and Gates at the White House.

"Because this has been ratcheting up and I helped contribute to ratcheting it up, I want to make clear that in my choice of words I unfortunately gave an impression that I was maligning the Cambridge Police Department or Sgt. Crowley specifically and I could have calibrated those words differently."

http://www.mommaville.com/forums/images/smilies/backpedal.gif

Scott Campbell
07-24-2009, 03:01 PM
..... I could have calibrated those words differently."

:lol:

Kiwon
07-24-2009, 04:39 PM
President Obama stopped short of an apology to Sgt. James Crowley on Friday for saying he "acted stupidly" for arresting black Harvard scholar Henry Lewis Gates Jr., but said he should have chosen his words more carefully.

At an impromptu appearance at the daily White House briefing, Obama said he spoke with Crowley over the phone, and said he wanted to share a beer with Crowley and Gates at the White House.

"Because this has been ratcheting up and I helped contribute to ratcheting it up, I want to make clear that in my choice of words I unfortunately gave an impression that I was maligning the Cambridge Police Department or Sgt. Crowley specifically and I could have calibrated those words differently."

"Gave an impression", huh?

How the false messiah gave "an impression" - Obama's comment: "I don’t know – not having been there and not seeing all the facts – what role race played in that, but I think it’s fair to say, number one, any of us would be pretty angry; number two that the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home."

Why can't the guy say, "I'm sorry and I should not have said anything until I knew all the facts"?

falco
07-24-2009, 05:05 PM
The president dropped the ball on this one, big time.

Patler
07-24-2009, 05:14 PM
I wonder if Harvard should consider disciplinary action.

The aspect of racism that no one wants to talk about. Will Harvard treat Gates the same as they would treat a white professor who was antagonistic toward a black officer and shouted accusations of being a racist at the black officer?

Kiwon
07-24-2009, 05:54 PM
I wonder if Harvard should consider disciplinary action.

The aspect of racism that no one wants to talk about. Will Harvard treat Gates the same as they would treat a white professor who was antagonistic toward a black officer and shouted accusations of being a racist at the black officer?

Please. This is Harvard. This is the place where Larry Summers wondered aloud about the reasons why female professors were underrepresented in the science and engineering departments at American universities and Harvard’s PC faculty turned him into the biggest misogynist that ever existed. He got drummed out as president for simply wondering aloud and voicing a hypothetical.

Free speech. Academic freedom. Give me a break.

By the way, just watch, the media will be sorely tempted to turn this into another Duke Lacrosse Rape case. They don't care about the facts. They care more about promoting a stereotype.

The only thing that will stop them is that they have taken the role of running shotrun for Obama's legislative agenda. They may back off the compelling narrative for fear that their boy Obama will catch the backlash.

However, if a Republican was in office, you can bet that they would take this story and run with it. They would have Cambridge, Mass as the new HQ of the KKK.

SkinBasket
07-28-2009, 09:01 AM
The real disaster here is that Obama and other uppity blacks are still talking about making this an excuse for furthering their victim status agenda even after it's been made pretty damned clear that race had nothing to do with this - other than Mr. Gates' absurd and insulting lies.

If you want an honest discussion about race and law enforcement in this country why the mother fuck would you choose this non-incident as your jumping off point? Apparently Mr. Gates, Mr. Obama, and others seem to believe and encourage the idea that being a black man in America is a free pass to do and say as you please when confronted by law enforcement because some police in some places at various times have been racists.

packinpatland
07-28-2009, 09:44 AM
I see the real problem (disaster) here, is with statements that include comments like this:

The real disaster here is that Obama and other uppity blacks....

Scott Campbell
07-28-2009, 09:55 AM
I see the real problem (disaster) here, is with statements that include comments like this:

Funny - I don't remember the president mentioning that in his faux apology.

SkinBasket
07-28-2009, 10:13 AM
Uppity: presumptuously arrogant, presumptuous, above oneself, self-important.

Defines Mr. Obama and Mr. Gates quite well I believe. If you have an issue with the historical context of the word, please take it up with history, not with me.

retailguy
07-28-2009, 10:18 AM

Funny - I don't remember the president mentioning that in his faux apology.

Faux Apology? Au Contraire Scott. It wasn't "faux" it was "perfectly calibrated".