PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Packer Camp Preview

pbmax
07-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Kevin Seifert, ESPN
NFC North Camp Preview (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-12-188/NFC-North-training-camp-preview.html)

Green Bay Packers
Training camp site: Team facility in Green Bay, Wis.

Campfires
At least two and possibly three positions on the offensive line are up for grabs as the Packers transition to a younger -- and, they hope, bigger -- offensive line. Jason Spitz seems primed to overtake veteran Scott Wells at center, while Allen Barbre is hoping to hold off rookie T.J. Lang for the right to replace Mark Tauscher at right tackle. And if Wells wins the center job, Spitz could move to right guard and compete with Josh Sitton.

Got all that? Because there's plenty of competition elsewhere on this team. The Packers moved back into the first round of the April draft to grab outside linebacker Clay Matthews, but a spring hamstring injury allowed second-year player Jeremy Thompson to grab hold of the job seemingly designated for Matthews. Thompson will spend training camp trying to hold off Matthews.

Elsewhere, the Packers will have an intriguing (if somewhat inside baseball) competition for their No. 3 receiver position behind Greg Jennings and Donald Driver. James Jones' playmaking skills would seem to give him the edge over 2008 top pick Jordy Nelson, but Jones' injury troubles last season make him an unknown quantity this summer.

Camp will be a downer if ...
... one of the Packers' two backup quarterbacks doesn't demonstrate substantial improvement. Matt Flynn and Brian Brohm got rookie exceptions last year, but neither ran the offense smoothly during minicamp last month.

Brohm's case is especially interesting. He flopped last summer after the Packers made him a second-round pick, by default leaving the No. 2 job to Flynn. If Brohm wants to restore his track as the Packers' top backup and a future starter (for another team), he'll have to get it turned around in camp this summer. Otherwise, he'll be buried on the depth chart for another year.

Camp will be a success if ...
...the Packers can demonstrate mental proficiency with the 3-4 defense. There is little doubt that retrofitting the personnel base will take some time. But if the Packers can master the different alignments and strategies typically employed by coordinator Dom Capers, they'll almost certainly improve their defensive proficiency from a year ago.

Capers and his staff are good teachers, and it's reasonable to expect Packers players to have absorbed the mental part of this new scheme.

A true one-two punch?
Training camp would be a nice time for someone to step in as a legitimate second option behind tailback Ryan Grant. One question the Packers would like to solve: Do they have someone on the roster who provides a stylistic complement to Grant?

Is Brandon Jackson the best answer? You could make an argument that his style isn't different enough from Grant to make him a viable option. Could that person be DeShawn Wynn? Or possibly Kregg Lumpkin? The Packers would like to leave camp with a firm idea on whether they have someone they can consistently rotate into the lineup for strategic purposes.

pbmax
07-22-2009, 10:48 AM
He has the wrong guy pegged to be a change of pace. The Northwestern RB Sutton would fill that role. Jackson has already made a good case to take the load off Grant, even if it is a similar style.

hoosier
07-22-2009, 10:54 AM
He has the wrong guy pegged to be a change of pace. The Northwestern RB Sutton would fill that role. Jackson has already made a good case to take the load off Grant, even if it is a similar style.

I'll be a little surprised if Sutton sticks this year. Grant and Jackson are locks if healthy. How many more HBs will the Packers carry? If they only go with three total, I would think both Wynn and Lumpkin would have a leg up on Sutton based on experience. Wynn has had a hard time with injuries, but when he's healthy the staff seems to like him. Do any of these three have anything offer on ST?

Bossman641
07-22-2009, 11:08 AM

That was the first thing I noticed as well. If anything, Lumpkin and Wynn's styles are more similar to Grant than Jackson's is. We don't have a true change of pace back, maybe Sutton is that guy but I would be shocked if they kept him over Wynn or Lumpkin. I think Jackson does an OK job as the 3rd down back - don't remember him blowing any assignments and he has a little bit of shake and bak to him.

Packnut
07-22-2009, 11:18 AM

I've seen Sutton play up close and he's a very solid RB. Problem is he just can't stay healthy. I'm very anxious to watch him in pre-season.

MichiganPackerFan
07-22-2009, 11:51 AM
I was on hiatus from the forum last offseason. Was Brohm expected to be the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked? Is there any hope for him? Truly disappointed in that one...

http://bestuff.com/images/images_of_stuff/210x600/yeah-moe-that-team-sure-did-suck-last-night-they-just-plain-sucked-ive-seen-teams-suck-before-but-they-were-the-suckiest-bunch-of-sucks-that-ever-sucked-133869.jpg

Packnut
07-22-2009, 12:05 PM
I was on hiatus from the forum last offseason. Was Brohm expected to be the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked? Is there any hope for him? Truly disappointed in that one...

http://bestuff.com/images/images_of_stuff/210x600/yeah-moe-that-team-sure-did-suck-last-night-they-just-plain-sucked-ive-seen-teams-suck-before-but-they-were-the-suckiest-bunch-of-sucks-that-ever-sucked-133869.jpg

It is a shocker. I followed him very closely at Louisville and thought he was the proto-typical NFL QB. I'm stunned and bewildered on this one........

rbaloha1
07-22-2009, 12:16 PM

Me too. BB appeared NFL ready. Maybe the hard coaching from his brother masked BB's ability learn and thrive in a NFL offense. Its ironic that draft experts felt BB would be better off without his brother's coaching.

It is a shocker. I followed him very closely at Louisville and thought he was the proto-typical NFL QB. I'm stunned and bewildered on this one........