PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Rookies

Waldo
07-22-2009, 11:46 AM
I'm beginning to grow concerned about our first rounders this year.

GB has a difficult task ahead of it. 2 first rounders are never easy to get both to camp on time, especially when one is top 10.

PFT just pointed out the rather alarming fact that there are only 2 first rounders currently signed, both QB's.

Also alarming is that there is no team that currently has all picks but their first rounder signed. We are tied with a few other teams with only 1 other to go (Quinn Johnson is currently unsigned).

First round contracts practically cannot begin until all other rounds by a team are signed, due to issues with the rookie pool.

The NFLPA and agents association have been strategizing the first round this year. After all, the uncapped rules in place for future seasons and the amortization of bonuses, and overall contracting rules for this season are totally different than previous seasons, where in reality first round contracts were already strange contracts to work around typical rules.

No team has yet put forth a standard contract of what the rest of the first round will look like. Even then, there typically is a structure shift that occurs in the teens/20's as there no longer is a need to work around the rookie cap. Where that structure shift is, and what the structure is for late first/early first contracts have yet to be determined.

Nobody as of yet wants to be first, and nobody is really in position to be first, all teams are dragging their feet on that one last other contract, the first team that gets the rest done will have all eyes turn to them as the league awaits the precedent setting first round deal.

It isn't really a glamorous or interesting story (for non-nerds), but for the NFL numbers dorks among us, this is going to be the most interesting two weeks in a long time. One big thing, the first partial (rookies only) camp open in 2 days, the first full team camp opens in 3 days, the latest any opens in 12 days (the Packers are 9 days away).

There is a good chance that in 2 weeks this story is HUGE, as the bulk of the first round is "holding out". I doubt any top 10 picks that aren't already signed (Stafford, Sanchez) will be in camp on the first day, this includes Raji.

MichiganPackerFan
07-22-2009, 12:00 PM
Haven't their first rounders almost always signed just before training camp opens? It seems there's always a flurry of activity then. Im not going to worry until the day camp opens.

Waldo
07-22-2009, 12:19 PM
This year is different.

The lack of a CBA, the uncapped rules for contracts this year, next, and beyond, and the uncertainty, means that a whole new contract is going to have to be made for this years first.

For many, many years there has been a high first contract and a low first contract. You basically could erase the numbers, look at last year, take out the calculator, multiply last years guy at the position by 1.07, negotiate some incentives, whallah, you have a done deal.

This year that standard contract has been torn apart. Burned. Flushed down the toilet. It no longer exists. It cannot be used. The uncapped rules make that contract structure an impossibility.

Somebody has to invent a new one. As of yet, no team has stepped to the plate to be the inventor. All teams are leaving another guy undone, telling teams "you guys go ahead and work out that first deal, we'll copy what you do".

Teams were ahead of the curve as of 2-3 weeks ago relative to normal years. But now they have big time fallen behind.

CaptainKickass
07-22-2009, 12:48 PM
I'm no NFL numbers nerd, but I am interested in this situation -

There is a good chance that in 2 weeks this story is HUGE, as the bulk of the first round is "holding out". I doubt any top 10 picks that aren't already signed (Stafford, Sanchez) will be in camp on the first day, this includes Raji.

So are you saying that Raji can't take part in the camp if he's not signed? How was he able to take part in OTA's then? (I can never keep this participation stuff straight). Would they really be considered "Hold Outs" - or is that not really the appropriate term considering the unique situation?

This year is different.
Somebody has to invent a new one. As of yet, no team has stepped to the plate to be the inventor. All teams are leaving another guy undone, telling teams "you guys go ahead and work out that first deal, we'll copy what you do.

NFL Contract negotiator:

"I'm not gonna try it - YOU try it"

NFL Rookie Agent:

"I'm not gonna try it YOU try it"

Let's get Mikey - he won't eat it, he hates everything....

Waldo
07-22-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm no NFL numbers nerd, but I am interested in this situation -

So are you saying that Raji can't take part in the camp if he's not signed? How was he able to take part in OTA's then? (I can never keep this participation stuff straight). Would they really be considered "Hold Outs" - or is that not really the appropriate term considering the unique situation?

As we learned with Ryan Grant, situation does not matter, any player not in camp for any contract reason is said to be holding out and treated as such by fans.

No, all players in camp must be under contract. In spring non-contact work, drafted rookies can participate if they are not under contract, and in fact most teams won't sign them then, as they do not count toward the roster limit, giving the team the ability to evaluate more players in practice.

MadScientist
07-22-2009, 01:13 PM
We are tied with a few other teams with only 1 other to go (Quinn Johnson is currently unsigned).
I get that the 1st rounders are challenging to get signed, but what is with Quinn Johnson? That should be a pretty straight forward signing, just like the other Packers picks.

MadScientist
07-22-2009, 04:27 PM
We are tied with a few other teams with only 1 other to go (Quinn Johnson is currently unsigned).
I get that the 1st rounders are challenging to get signed, but what is with Quinn Johnson? That should be a pretty straight forward signing, just like the other Packers picks.
Ok, he's signed now.
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Lurker64
07-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Ok, he's signed now.

It's still curious as to why this took so long. He was our only draft pick to break the order (moving backwards from the last pick) as Lang was signed before him.

Anybody know who his agent is? Or have any theories as to why this was difficult?

Freak Out
07-22-2009, 05:31 PM
http://www.packersproshop.com/p/0907354090_37_13_2.jpg

Waldo
07-22-2009, 06:49 PM
Ok, he's signed now.

It's still curious as to why this took so long. He was our only draft pick to break the order (moving backwards from the last pick) as Lang was signed before him.

Anybody know who his agent is? Or have any theories as to why this was difficult?

Sounds like the Eagles could be close with Maclin. That might be the catalyst. LIS, not only do most teams not want to be the first one to sign a first rounder, most don't even want to finish all their other picks so that it appears they are working on their first rounder.

I bet the team had a lot more to do with the delay than Johnson did.

GB has done some fairly unique contracts before (Grant for example, or how they are dealing with Tramon this year, Harris' contract is very unique and can almost be seen as a model contract for an older player), unlike those though, the first this year is an extraordinarily difficult contract to determine structure for the first one. Once that is done the rest of the teams should fall into place rather easily, but we'll see how close knit the agents are. Some that are a little more rogue are going to be hard as heck to deal with.

Harlan Huckleby
07-22-2009, 06:52 PM
We need training camp to get started.

Rastak
07-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Free the Wise Guy Five!
Justin Harrell, cpk1994, Tyrone Bigguns, Partial, cornholio

Did Partial get his ass bounced also?

MJZiggy
07-22-2009, 07:15 PM
For a couple weeks.

Waldo
07-22-2009, 07:17 PM
Man I hope JH is back for camp. His OTA reports were the best around. He actually had something to say other than a roll call and useless passing stats.

Freak Out
07-22-2009, 07:22 PM
Man I hope JH is back for camp. His OTA reports were the best around. He actually had something to say other than a roll call and useless passing stats.

I enjoyed his comments on the girls in the stands as well. :)

I always like to hear from the people who are in the GB area and can go to the open to the public activities....always makes you feel a little closer.

falco
07-22-2009, 07:27 PM
At this point, the banned posters account for over 10% of the total posts since the forum began.

falco
07-22-2009, 07:32 PM
At this point, the banned posters account for over 10% of the total posts since the forum began.

Not trying to make a political statement either, just making an observation.

pbmax
07-22-2009, 07:37 PM
It is relatively calm though without the dynamic duo of cpk and pacopete. Each has something to recommend themselves, but together they are an automatic off topic and flame war waiting to happen.

Quinn Johnson has signed.

Rastak
07-22-2009, 07:42 PM
It is relatively calm though without the dynamic duo of cpk and pacopete. Each has something to recommend themselves, but together they are an automatic off topic and flame war waiting to happen.

Quinn Johnson has signed.

There were a couple more combos but I will not mention names....Hoosier is right.

retailguy
07-22-2009, 07:47 PM

Not trying to make a political statement either, just making an observation.

In quantity or.... quality? :wink:

falco
07-22-2009, 07:53 PM
In quantity or.... quality? :wink:

Touche.

Freak Out
07-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Wow....two first round draft picks. Still hard to believe. How long has it been since we had two picks in the first round again?
TT has a very tough job.....working out a deal for what most are hoping is going to be a defensive savior and then throw the golden boy into the first round and you end up with some long days working out the details...especially in regards to the labor situation the NFL finds itself in as Waldo pointed out.

Lurker64
07-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Wow....two first round draft picks. Still hard to believe. How long has it been since we had two picks in the first round again?

In 1993 we selected George Teague 29th overall and Wayne Simmons 15th overall, both First Round Picks.

Rastak
07-22-2009, 08:24 PM

In 1993 we selected George Teague 29th overall and Wayne Simmons 15th overall, both First Round Picks.

I'm not familiar with Packers history like you guys, but I looked it up.

Packers:

In addition to Lurkers mention, there was also

Tony Bennett DE (18)
Darrell Thompson RB (19)

Bruce Clark DE (4)
George Cumby LB (26)

James Lofton WR (6)
John Anderson LB (26)

Mike Butler DE (9)
Ezra Johnson DE (28)

Willie Buchanon (7)
Jerry Tagge QB (11)

Mike McCoy DT (2)
Rich McGeorge TE (16)

Fred Carr LB (5)
Bill Lueck G (26)

Bob Hyland C (9)
Don Horn QB (25)

Jim Grabowski RB (9)
Gale Gillingham G (13)

Donny Anderson RB (7)
Larry Ellis WR (10)

Freak Out
07-22-2009, 08:59 PM
I had no idea it was that many in the last 40 years.

Fritz
07-22-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm holding out....hope.

Patler
07-23-2009, 06:33 AM
One of the reasons it was painful to be a Packer fan in the 70s and 80s was that they had all those 1st round draft picks in the late 1960s and the 1970s. Two first rounders in four consecutive years, 1965-68 and 11 first rounders over the six seasons from 1965 to 1970 should have been a solid foundation into the 1970s. Seven more first rounders in 4 seasons from 1977 to 1980 should have set them up for the 1980s. Some failed, some were simply "OK" and the ones that lived up to their draft status had little other support on the roster.

CaptainKickass
07-23-2009, 03:08 PM

I've been relatively quiet on this board for the past year-ish or so. It is pretty damn slow in the offseason anyway, but I've found some slacker time to contibute what I can a bit more frequently. How long will that last? I dunno. But I think if everyone can step it up a little from time to time - we'll all be just fine. I have noticed the "Green Bay Packers" portion of this site being WAY more civil recently. I've also noticed more actual detailed football discussions breaking out.

I'm a Packers football addict, & this is my fix.
Junkies helping junkies since 2006.

(Quick - that rhymes - someone put it in a song fer phahx sake)

Fritz
07-23-2009, 04:05 PM

I've been relatively quiet on this board for the past year-ish or so. It is pretty damn slow in the offseason anyway, but I've found some slacker time to contibute what I can a bit more frequently. How long will that last? I dunno. But I think if everyone can step it up a little from time to time - we'll all be just fine. I have noticed the "Green Bay Packers" portion of this site being WAY more civil recently. I've also noticed more actual detailed football discussions breaking out.

I'm a Packer football addict, and Rats is my fix,
Junkies helping junkies since double-O 6.
Not the part where we call each other dix,
Or accuse someone of being like the middle parts of chix.

No, I can't get enough of the pad level talk,
and whether Ryan Grant is the next Marshall Faulk.
Will Cliffy come through, or will his knee balk?
Is this finally the year for the AJ to Hawk?

Yeah, sometimes I've cried, and sometimes I've laughed,
With the new Admin's knife, this place has been halved.
But without it I'd be up the creek with no raft,
Cuz we need to start talking 'bout next year's draft.

CaptainKickass
07-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Hey Fritz -

Check my new Sig.

Priceless.

denverYooper
07-23-2009, 06:10 PM

I'm a Packer football addict, and Rats is my fix,
Junkies helping junkies since double-O 6.
Not the part where we call each other dix,
Or accuse someone of being like the middle parts of chix.

No, I can't get enough of the pad level talk,
and whether Ryan Grant is the next Marshall Faulk.
Will Cliffy come through, or will his knee balk?
Is this finally the year for the AJ to Hawk?

Yeah, sometimes I've cried, and sometimes I've laughed,
With the new Admin's knife, this place has been halved.
But without it I'd be up the creek with no raft,
Cuz we need to start talking 'bout next year's draft.

Monorhymed quatrains. Nice.

Fritz
07-23-2009, 06:17 PM
I could be the next Al Yankovic!