PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft moves to Thursday night!

Rastak
07-23-2009, 05:05 PM
What do you guys and gals think?

The draft gets rolling with the first round on Thursday night, April 22, at 6:30 p.m. CT.

Rounds two and three will be held on Friday night, April 23, beginning at 5:30 p.m. CT.

And then they'll wrap it all up beginning at 9:00 a.m. ET on Saturday, April 24.

sheepshead
07-23-2009, 05:20 PM
The most overrated event in all of sports goes prime time. One thing for sure, the NFL knows how to make money.

mission
07-23-2009, 05:22 PM
The most overrated event in all of sports goes prime time. One thing for sure, the NFL knows how to make money.

How so?

It's not necessarily the media that makes it popular? If people didn't tune in, there wouldn't be so much coverage.

And people tune in because they're excited to find out about the future of their franchise.

PlantPage55
07-23-2009, 05:27 PM
I love the draft, but I wish they would quit dragging it out. 3 days now? Only one round on the first day?

I miss the classic 1-3, then 4-7. That was perfect.

HarveyWallbangers
07-23-2009, 05:28 PM
I love the draft, but I wish they would quit dragging it out. 3 days now? Only one round on the first day?

I miss the classic 1-3, then 4-7. That was perfect.

Agreed.

woodbuck27
07-23-2009, 05:30 PM
No. I like it as it was.

Freak Out
07-23-2009, 05:39 PM
Even with the NFL speeding it up it was still way to long.

Rastak
07-23-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm warming to the idea.....

Thursday: Watch draft, have a couple. Post here.

Friday: Take day off. Listen to NFL Radio discuss the first round. Read columns discussing.

Friday night: Have a couple, watch more draft.

Saturday Early: Listen to NFL radio, read columns about tha draft to his point.

Saturday during day: Watch the final rounds.

The more I think about it the more I like it.

edit: Sunday, listen to all the comentary wrapping up draft......perfect.

Fritz
07-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Every year the draft falls on this weekend where I have an event that I have to attend. It's infuriating. So I'm pumped.

And yes, the draft is a money-making belch. For sure. The NFL has learned, way before Obama, how to market hope.

Mazzin
07-23-2009, 06:23 PM
IDK if its the most overrated event in all of sports. I think it is the BIGGEST day other than a superbowl for your team. Puts you ahead, or sets you back, its the BEST day of football if you ask me.

Fritz
07-23-2009, 06:25 PM
IDK if its the most overrated event in all of sports. I think it is the BIGGEST day other than a superbowl for your team. Puts you ahead, or sets you back, its the BEST day of football if you ask me.

Except nobody - and I mean nobody - really knows if your team has been put ahead or set back by the draft until about four years after it's happened.

We're just now going to find out if Aaron Rodgers is the real deal for sure. And he was drafted four years ago.

Mazzin
07-23-2009, 06:49 PM
GOING to be any good? Really? He IS really good!

DonHutson
07-23-2009, 07:09 PM
The NFL has learned, way before Obama, how to market hope.

Nice line.

sheepshead
07-23-2009, 07:40 PM

How so?

It's not necessarily the media that makes it popular? If people didn't tune in, there wouldn't be so much coverage.

And people tune in because they're excited to find out about the future of their franchise.

How so what?

Rastak
07-23-2009, 07:43 PM
Try and simplify it for him Mission.

arcilite
07-23-2009, 07:48 PM

How so?

How so what?

how

is

it

so

overrated?

retailguy
07-23-2009, 07:55 PM
:P

ND72
07-23-2009, 10:05 PM
I'm not a huge fan, told my wife today that it looks as though I'll have to take a sick day from school on that friday, might as well put it in day 1 of the school year :lol:

Lurker64
07-23-2009, 10:22 PM
I like it better than the last format, but I still prefer the one before that (day 1 was rounds 1-3, and day 2 was rounds 4-7).

These last two years, having rounds 3-7 on one day was just too freaking long.

mission
07-23-2009, 10:26 PM

How so?

How so what?

how

is

it

so

overrated?

:lol:

Overrated ... that's like the Olympics or Wimbledon or something ... I LOVE THE DRAFT!

Patler
07-23-2009, 11:05 PM
I miss the good old days, when:
- the draft was shortly after the end of the season, late January.
- Rounds 1-8 were Saturday
- Rounds 9-20 were Sunday
- we had a full 6 months to figure if any other than a couple would make the 40 man roster!

Bretsky
07-24-2009, 12:14 AM
- we had a full 6 months to figure if any other than a couple would make the 40 man roster!

Plus, then we'd have more time to discuss and look forward to our gold mine of free agents every year. :wink:

wist43
07-24-2009, 12:30 AM
Too bad ESPN's coverage sucks...

It's so bad I can't watch it in real time... I had gotten to the point where I just taped it, and zipped thru it when I got home.

We have it rammed down our throats what Matthew Stafford had for breakfast... but get little information about teams, schemes, how players fit schemes, etc...

Can they take on and shed, can they turn their hips and run, can they close the cushion in press coverage and get a DB turned, etc... after the 1st round, all you get is hours of fluff about the guys in the 1st round - "... and how does that make you feel; LaQuentin is an emotional young man, who grew up on the wrong side of the tracks; blah, blah, blah" :bs2:

They cater to the casual fan... have to look elsewhere for any real coverage.

sheepshead
07-24-2009, 06:32 AM
[quote=sheepshead]The most overrated event in all of sports goes prime time. One thing for sure, the NFL knows how to make money.

How so?

How so what?

how

is

it

so

overrated?[/quot

1/3 of the first round are total busts, 1/3 are serviceable. 2/3s do not deserve the hype and certainly do not deserve the money. I know lots of guys enjoy it and that's fine. I have been in NYC when it was going on. I always commend the league for finding ways to make money.

Personally, I dont get that excited about it. My 2 cents.

SkinBasket
07-24-2009, 07:10 AM

And then Colorado became a state and everything changed...

mraynrand
07-24-2009, 07:24 AM

And then Colorado became a state and everything changed...

Colorado is a state now? Geez, you miss one staff meeting...

MichiganPackerFan
07-24-2009, 07:42 AM
I usually enjoy watching the first round and catching as much of the second as I can. After that, it's reduced to following it on my BlackBerry because the time commitment is so tremendous. That considered, it really doesn't make a difference how it is timed as long as it allows the decision makers enough time to continuously assess their strategy compared to availability and probability.

pbmax
07-24-2009, 08:07 AM
I miss the draft starting on Tuesday at 7:00 AM Eastern (late seventies to late eighties). Only lunatics and college students watched. You had to skip an entire morning of classes to watch the first round. Those were the good ol' days. Howard Balzer, Paul Zimmerman, young insane Mel attacking the Jets taking Jeff Lageman.

Waldo
07-24-2009, 08:17 AM
I like this new format a great deal. I think for draft junkies it is great. After months of study, the actual draft seems to fly by. This slows the actual draft down a bit (while making it a few days earlier), giving you an extra point to catch your breath and think about the draft. Plus the extra time allows teams more time to call each other and wheel and deal.

Fritz
07-24-2009, 09:33 AM
Teddy will clean up on the last day! By then other teams will be weary of it all (think Matt Millen back in his heyday) and Ted can move down and snatch everybody's seventh rounders. Go Ted!

Tarlam!
07-24-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm warming to the idea.....

Thursday: Watch draft, have a couple. Post here. Friday: Take day off. Listen to NFL Radio discuss the first round. Read columns discussing.
Friday night: Have a couple, watch more draft. Saturday Early: Listen to NFL radio, read columns about tha draft to his point. Saturday during day: Watch the final rounds. The more I think about it the more I like it.
edit: Sunday, listen to all the comentary wrapping up draft......perfect.

I think you've got it tagged, Ras! Only problem for me is, I'm 6 hours ahead here in Europe!!

Think I'll have to savvy my employer into a US-based traing course in Spring 2010!

DonHutson
07-24-2009, 03:20 PM
It'll be interesting how they handle the green room. You would think they would want to take advantage of prime time by strutting as many future stars out to the podium as they can. The downside to bringing too many of them in is that some will invariably not get drafted for another 24 hours.