PDA

View Full Version : ROUND TWO; TEAMS whose W-L records will FALL from LAST YEAR

Bretsky
07-24-2009, 12:33 AM
OK, tried the up and comers that might slip into the playoffs.

Now how about listing a few teams that were on the brink of success, or successful last year..........who might go into the crapper.

Curious to get some alternative views

Here are my nominations:

I'd pick team #1 to be that team who was above .500 and might hit rock bottom this year

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

They seem to have a mess as QB; they may even start a rookie. Rookie Coach. Chuckie is gone. I'm not sure there offense or defense is a remote strength, and they let their best QB go to da Raiders.

I think they could easily go from 9-7 to 5-11 or worse

2. Da Bears

I'll take some heat on this one, but Da Bears were a weak "9-7" record team. I'm not convinced Cutler will live up to his potential until they get some weapons at WR there. I also think they are taking one of the truly dynamic weapons in the game in Devon Hester, shifting his focus away from his strenth, all to make him an average at best WR. He's terrifying on kickoffs and punt returns but just a guy at WR.

I think they go from 9-7 to 7-9

3. Denver Broncos........OUCH.....VERY WRONG HERE

I think this will be a popular pick, but keep in mind they did hire a disciple of the greatest coach in the NFL since Lombardi so I'm willing to give him a chance. With that being said, they went from Cutler to Orton, and there just seems to be too much turnover on this team, including the staff, for them to be successful right off the bat. Honestly, I did like their draft; I just think it will take a while for these guys to gel.

Check out this team's schedule as well; they better get off to a quick start or they will be in trouble.

Don't be surprised if they go from 8-8 last year to 6-10

pbmax
07-24-2009, 08:02 AM
1. Miami Dolphins - Last place schedule is gone and Brady is back. Still will be good, might be better, record will be worse.

2. Atlanta Falcons - Dicier, as the division might go backwards, but schedule will be likely be more difficult, Matt Ryan faces coordinators with a year of film on him and their offense and I am not sold on their defense.

hoosier
07-24-2009, 08:34 AM
Agree that Tampa and Denver are good candidates for hitting rock bottom. And agree that Miami and Chicago likely to take a step backwards. Another team I wouldn't be surprised to see hit the wall a little bit is Arizona. They have talent at many key positions and the benefit of playing in a weak division, but I think they got extremely lucky last year in being able to turn it on, off and on again in the second half of the year. Historically, teams that lose the superbowl usually follow it up with a down season the next year. Finally, my last nomination is the NYJ.

Fritz
07-24-2009, 09:31 AM
Seems easier to pick teams that might slide than to pick teams that might jump up. I don't know why.

I'm gonna say Arizona and Pittsburgh. Both will slip further than just not-the-Super-Bowl.

ThunderDan
07-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Here is my list of teams that won't do as well as 2008.

Tampa Bay - Looks like a total rebuilding. Even if it isn't they don't have a QB that I would trust under center.
Atlanta - They surprised teams last year, no one will think it's a gimme game this year.
NY Giants - Everyone in their division improved, no way the G-men go 12-4 in 2009. I would guess 9-7 if they get good breaks.
Indianapolis - Went 12-4 last year, they have new coaches and I don't see Jacksonville playing as bad this year and Houston improving.
NY Jets - I don't think anyone will respect their passing game this year and Brady is back. If Sanchez starts the season I could see them go 5-11.

sharpe1027
07-24-2009, 12:56 PM
1: NY Jets: Horrible end of the season. Turnover at the top and lack of QB. Their schedule is no cake walk.

2: Atlanta: Atlanta has a brutal schedule and the division has no clear whipping boy. Watch out for the sophmore slump with Ryan; teams will have a year of tape on the kid.

I wanted to put Chicago in this list even with Culter because, IMO, their biggest problems were elsewhere. Also, GB should be improved and Detroit can't be any worse. Problem is, Chicago has a cupcake schedule. :cry:

woodbuck27
07-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Agree that Tampa and Denver are good candidates for hitting rock bottom. And agree that Miami and Chicago likely to take a step backwards. Another team I wouldn't be surprised to see hit the wall a little bit is Arizona. They have talent at many key positions and the benefit of playing in a weak division, but I think they got extremely lucky last year in being able to turn it on, off and on again in the second half of the year. Historically, teams that lose the superbowl usually follow it up with a down season the next year. Finally, my last nomination is the NYJ.

Here's three interesting teams to comment on.

I believe Arizona will be OK in 2009. Kurt Warner is on top of his game and relaxed again. He has arguably the best WR Corps in the NFL. The Cardinals are in the weak west division and I don't buy into the loser in the Super Bowl hype. They do look weak in the running game but I like their defense.

The Jets will be terrible unless they can satisfy Thomas Jones and or Leon Washington. Especially given that they're weak at WR with only the proven Crotchery and will start a Rookie QB. There are also question marks at the TE position between when to use that position to block and choose to stretchy the field. Maybe it's time to go straight to the re-build and use Rookie RB Shonn Greene and FB Tony Richardson to carry the mail?

The Bronco's look to be self destructing but will they? I'm wondering about their usual strength or the running game? Their pinning their hopes on injury prone players like Correll Buckhalter and Lamont Jordan and might have to usher in Rookie Knowshon Moreno right away. At WR the big question mark this offseason for the Broncos has been Brandon Marshall and will he be a Bronco? Denver isn't all that weak at receiver. Marshall and Royal could match up with about any starting WR tandem in football, with three solid veterans filling the backup spots. The Broncos also have very good tight ends to choose from. The group of targets is probably the top asset on the team full of question marks,

GO PACKERS!

Brando19
07-24-2009, 04:58 PM
1. Denver Broncos: Kyle Orton?!?
2. Tampa Bay: Probably gonna start a rookie QB
3. Arizona: Cinderella season....now back to reality
4. Atlanta: Now there's plenty of tape on Matt Ryan

Honorable Mention:
Detroit.... :lol: Just messin.

Fritz
07-24-2009, 07:22 PM
I think the Lions' record will be worse than last season!

Jimx29
07-24-2009, 10:43 PM
Packers.

There, I said it

woodbuck27
07-26-2009, 02:22 PM
I think the Lions' record will be worse than last season!

Well if the Packers improve that may help insure that Fritz. The Lions are looking at ton of changes and that can't be a good sign of success this season.

MJZiggy
07-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Woodbuck, you do recall that the changes are happening because they went 0-16 last year, right?

Fritz, do I smell halftime forfeits? Taking the ball and going home?

Bretsky
10-31-2009, 05:30 AM
Not faring the greatest on this one either

Fritz
10-31-2009, 11:47 AM
Nobody saw Tennesee falling apart.

ThunderDan
10-31-2009, 01:32 PM
Not faring the greatest on this one either

I could finish between 4-1 and 1-4 on my predictions.

ThunderDan
01-17-2010, 09:25 PM
Here is my list of teams that won't do as well as 2008.

Tampa Bay - Looks like a total rebuilding. Even if it isn't they don't have a QB that I would trust under center.
Atlanta - They surprised teams last year, no one will think it's a gimme game this year.
NY Giants - Everyone in their division improved, no way the G-men go 12-4 in 2009. I would guess 9-7 if they get good breaks.
Indianapolis - Went 12-4 last year, they have new coaches and I don't see Jacksonville playing as bad this year and Houston improving.
NY Jets - I don't think anyone will respect their passing game this year and Brady is back. If Sanchez starts the season I could see them go 5-11.

Just taking a look back at the year. I was right on 1-3. The Colts just keep rolling. I thought for sure with the changes they would stumble but I was wrong. The Jets finished at 9-7 and are on to the AFC Championship game. Rex Ryan has been smart to make his offense a running one.

I'll say that makes me 3-2 this year.

Joemailman
01-17-2010, 09:41 PM
Packers.

There, I said it

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing001.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

gbgary
01-17-2010, 10:41 PM
dallas...look at their road schedule.

pbmax
01-17-2010, 11:04 PM
1. Miami Dolphins - Last place schedule is gone and Brady is back. Still will be good, might be better, record will be worse.

2. Atlanta Falcons - Dicier, as the division might go backwards, but schedule will be likely be more difficult, Matt Ryan faces coordinators with a year of film on him and their offense and I am not sold on their defense.
Dolphins went to 7-9, sort of got that one.

But Falcons still were 9-7; a step back but not a collapse.

sheepshead
01-18-2010, 07:47 AM
The Vikings without Favre??

pbmax
01-18-2010, 08:11 AM
Packers.

There, I said it
Consistent pessimism will make you correct one day. Not reliable, but eventually correct.

ThunderDan
01-18-2010, 12:00 PM

Dolphins went to 7-9, sort of got that one.

But Falcons still were 9-7; a step back but not a collapse.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Both teams went from the playoffs to watching games this year.

I counted ATL as a good pick.

denverYooper
01-18-2010, 12:34 PM
The Vikings without Favre??

They are not as good without him. They still have good players, though, and should be tough at least 1 more year with our without him. The bigger question for them might be: The Vikings without Leslie Frazier?

I think their D is going to reach a transition point where they have to move on from some very good older players and they might have to do it without their very good DC. Already this year, their identity has shifted some.

Without Favre? They're 10-6. Without Frazier? Then it gets more dicey because you don't know where the D might go.