PDA

View Full Version : Decision Day for Farve?

Kiwon
07-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Isn't today the self-imposed decision day deadline for Farve?

Cheesehead Craig
07-24-2009, 08:57 AM
Nothing will happen, just loads of hype

oregonpackfan
07-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Favre make a decision? This should be interesting... :roll:

Fritz
07-24-2009, 09:29 AM
No, I think he said before camp opens...which I believe is the 29th or 30th.

He's got time. Plenty of time.

Man, he sure does get himself super-worked up about it, doesn't he? It's not easy for him.

AV David
07-24-2009, 09:42 AM
"It's not easy for him." ?????????????????????????

Are you kidding me?

All he has to do is follow Brett Favre Rule #1:

Don't make any decision until training camp starts.

Tarlam!
07-24-2009, 09:49 AM
"It's not easy for him." ?????????????????????????

Are you kidding me?

Now, this is BOMNF!

Man, I laughed hard!

MOBB DEEP
07-24-2009, 11:56 AM
nice thread K...

to hades with favre; he's playing with my emotions like smokie did with debo from the movie friday

training camp is the 31st but WHY WAIT??!!

still havnt slept since he announced he would make a decison by today

bated breath..

DAYUM!!

denverYooper
07-24-2009, 12:12 PM
nice thread K...

to hades with favre; he's playing with my emotions like smokie did with debo from the movie friday

That was big perm, mobb.

woodbuck27
07-24-2009, 01:35 PM
SportingNews.com: Vikings should punt on Favre and chase Vick

Posted by Mike Florio on July 24, 2009 12:01 PM ET

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/24/sportingnewscom-vikings-should-punt-on-favre-and-chase-vick/

Personal comment on this suggestion:

Nuts!!! :D

Scott Campbell
07-24-2009, 01:39 PM
Vikings should punt on Favre and chase Vick.

They really are desperate.

Funny stuff Woodrow - thanks for the link.

woodbuck27
07-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Vikings should punt on Favre and chase Vick.

They really are desperate.

Funny stuff Woodrow - thanks for the link.

Jaysus Scott. I hope your not going to start stalking me again. If that's the case I'll have to get my hair tinted.

Scott Campbell
07-24-2009, 01:55 PM
If that's the case I'll have to get my hair tinted.

Both of them?

You just lectured me on making football posts, and then this. Good grief. :lol:

woodbuck27
07-24-2009, 02:23 PM

Both of them?

I'm ignoring you.

woodbuck27
07-24-2009, 03:36 PM
SportingNews.com: Vikings should punt on Favre and chase Vick

Posted by Mike Florio on July 24, 2009 12:01 PM ET

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/24/sportingnewscom-vikings-should-punt-on-favre-and-chase-vick/

Personal comment on this suggestion:

Nuts!!! :D

and in a related story:

Report: Vick Can Sign; Might Sit Four Games
Thursday, July 23, 2009

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Trenches/entry/view/28730/report_vick_can_sign;_must_sit_four_games

woodbuck27
07-24-2009, 03:42 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/24/draft-style-workout-coming-for-vick/

Draft-style workout coming for Vick?

Posted by Mike Florio on July 24, 2009 2:48 PM ET

woodbuck27
07-24-2009, 04:52 PM
This is one of those 'I think' cases when the longer Favre's decision takes the less chance it will be that he's returning to the Vikings.

For all those that want to make a claim that Brett Favre is some kinda fruitcake they rather should rethink that. I see Favre as a very serious Pro athlete. He doesn't go half in on anything. He wants to see everything in place to win and all hands on deck and prepared and contributing to just that. Winning.

The mentle battle he's going through now has to be brutal. Will the body stand up for another long season? He knows the target on his back. There has to be some fear of failure and especially given that the Vikings are a sound team. Accepting the starting QB assignment in Minnesota isn't to take anything for granted. It's to take on a huge responsibility. Jobs are at stake based on Favre's decision and how well he executes his role.

Brett Favre is under a huge amount of pressure.

Brando19
07-24-2009, 04:53 PM
nice thread K...

That was big perm, mobb.

Actually, it was big worm.

DonHutson
07-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Woodbuck, I think you're probably 100% correct. I just wish he'd tell Ed Werder to fuck off and conduct his soul searching in private.

In fact, we could have avoided a lot of this nonsense if, when first asked about retirement approximately 117 years ago, Favre had simply said "I'll let you know when I'm retiring. Don't ask me about it." as opposed to the standard routine we've all grown accustomed to.

Scott Campbell
07-24-2009, 05:05 PM
It has to be hard to decide which day to announce whether or not you're coming out of retirement.

Kiwon
07-24-2009, 05:32 PM
Agent: Brett Favre needs more time before giving Vikings an answer

Brett Favre is not likely to inform the Vikings today if he's going to un-retire and join them.

ESPN's Rachel Nichols spoke with Favre's agent, Bus Cook, who indicated the quarterback needs more time to decide.

"He just doesn't feel ready yet," Nichols said of her conversation with Cook. "There are some things he's still considering."

NFL.com had reported earlier this week that Favre would give the Vikings an answer by today. But on Thursday night, NFL.com columnist Thomas George also reported that Favre needed more time.

Vikings veterans report for training camp on Thursday.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/thehuddle/2009/07/agent-brett-favre-needs-more-time-before-giving-vikings-an-answer.html

Fritz
07-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Ah....he's some kind of fruitcake.

Patler
07-24-2009, 07:09 PM
I've worked with people like this. In his mind he has made a decision, a decision to study the situation more. He thinks there is more information to be studied when in fact all he is doing is procrastinating.

In the real world (not pro sports) key employees like this make others jobs excruciatingly difficult. They simply can not decide because they fear being wrong.

Fritz
07-24-2009, 07:15 PM
You know, I'm really with you, Patler. I in fact used to be one of those guys. In his mind - and I speak from experience - waiting until the last second means simply getting more information. It seems harmless - you're just trying to get more information in order to make a good decision.

The truth is, you are deluding yourself. And on some deep, inner level, you suspect that. But you can't admit that on a conscious level.

I am in many regards quite sympathetic to the anguish that I believe Favre is truly suffering now. On the other hand, it is also quite self-centered, although the person in question truly does not know that. I honestly believe Favre does not know - is not willing to admit to himself - how his actions have affected other people, not even his family.

MJZiggy
07-24-2009, 08:38 PM
I've been deluding myself all day. Why should Favre be any different?

Fritz
07-26-2009, 09:23 AM
As long as you're not diluting yourself!
:rs:

The Shadow
07-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Why does this photo come to mind?

https://ssl.post-gazette.com/store/photos/large/Y.A.%20Tittle.jpg

Patler
07-26-2009, 09:57 AM

Interesting, I have been thinking about the same picture myself! I was just too lazy to go find it!

pbmax
07-26-2009, 10:33 AM
I don't think he is waiting for any information, nor as Woodbuck suggests, is he waiting to be sure everyone is committed as he feels he is. There is nothing that will be revealed next Thursday that isn't known now. And the Vikings can do no more to be ready for the season. If he is truly feeling the pressure of delivering on a team loaded with expectations (to the point where he cannot act), then it really is time to retire.

His actions all speak to a person avoiding, rather then engaging in an activity.

All his public waffling over the past 7 seasons have resulted in the same decision each year. He isn't indecisive. He has already made a choice (the request for the Jets release (twice) and the surgery have told us this already). This is his discretion. He will show up when he wants to while attempting to avoid criticism. The leak about text messages from Viking players is one more way for Favre to say the Vikings wanted him more than he wanted them (or that it was at least mutual). That way, if his arm, body or the season go to hell, he can say "I was worried this could happen. But everyone wanted to give this a shot."

woodbuck27
07-26-2009, 11:13 AM
Woodbuck, I think you're probably 100% correct. I just wish he'd tell Ed Werder to fuck off and conduct his soul searching in private.

In fact, we could have avoided a lot of this nonsense if, when first asked about retirement approximately 117 years ago, Favre had simply said "I'll let you know when I'm retiring. Don't ask me about it." as opposed to the standard routine we've all grown accustomed to.

I don't disagree with you DonHutson. He could accurately be perceived as his own worst enemy. Yet I think he takes the time to have his own chuckles over all the attention he gets as a huge personality in sports. Also he cannot seem to downplay his own personality (slash) ego.

Brett Favre isn't complicated. I see Favre as just a regular fella that will respond to questions on his future endeavours. We see the media react to his every move and all he says. Then NFL fans form an opinion on him.

As long as Brett Favre knows in himself what he wants and how to get there is all that should matter. He is IMO true to himself and for that I cannot knock him. As close as it is to decision time I'm still not certain he'll be a Viking. That's a long ways from being any win-win decision. I've even come to apreciate why dedicated Packer fans cannot come to terms with that possibility DonHutson.

The Packer Vs Viking rivalry as I deem it is intense. Brett Favre developed his status as a sure fired HOFer with our team. How he can deal with any thoughts of being the Viking QB has to be extremely emotional. I wonder also if he's not feeling pressure he's not able to deal with from Viking management?

He's in a tough place.

GO PACKERS!

woodbuck27
07-26-2009, 11:15 AM

Both of them?

Our relationship = complicated Scott. :D

woodbuck27
07-26-2009, 11:19 AM

A definition of 'painful'.

woodbuck27
07-26-2009, 11:36 AM
" I don't think he is waiting for any information, nor as Woodbuck suggests, is he waiting to be sure everyone is committed as he feels he is. There is nothing that will be revealed next Thursday that isn't known now. And the Vikings can do no more to be ready for the season. If he is truly feeling the pressure of delivering on a team loaded with expectations (to the point where he cannot act), then it really is time to retire. " pbmax

and your correct pbmax.

Favre has the near perfect fit for himself in Minnesota. He wants to win another Super Bowl. The Vikings need that QB with his talent, experience and desire. Has he really got that desire? Desire has to go hand in hand with coinfidence for positive results.

So what is the hold up? Maybe he cannot get over the fact he was a Green Bay Packer? Maybe a part of him is conflicted in his former stated loyalty to Packer fans? He has to be aware of the anger or disappointment among Packer fans that he would turn to the Vikings for a real shot at a Super Bowl. Brett Fvare is merely human.

I'm on record as believing that now the Viking team gives him that last decent shot but he has to know he can deliver. His problem now is simply FEAR. We all know and should appreciate the way that handcuff's us.

Nothing enhances fear more than being under a magnifying glass by the media. Maybe he thinks that not commiting early will lessen that media pressure that he cannot resist?

PACKERS!

Fritz
07-26-2009, 12:56 PM
I don't think he is waiting for any information, nor as Woodbuck suggests, is he waiting to be sure everyone is committed as he feels he is. There is nothing that will be revealed next Thursday that isn't known now. And the Vikings can do no more to be ready for the season. If he is truly feeling the pressure of delivering on a team loaded with expectations (to the point where he cannot act), then it really is time to retire.

His actions all speak to a person avoiding, rather then engaging in an activity.

All his public waffling over the past 7 seasons have resulted in the same decision each year. He isn't indecisive. He has already made a choice (the request for the Jets release (twice) and the surgery have told us this already). This is his discretion. He will show up when he wants to while attempting to avoid criticism. The leak about text messages from Viking players is one more way for Favre to say the Vikings wanted him more than he wanted them (or that it was at least mutual). That way, if his arm, body or the season go to hell, he can say "I was worried this could happen. But everyone wanted to give this a shot."

Ah, the old "I'm not making any excuses, but" routine. Could be, PB. I think Favre is more complicated than many people believe him to be.

You're right too that there's really no more info to be had, but I'm not sure that Favre knows that or at least wants to know that. Maybe he'll wake up and his arm will feel like crap and tell him not to play; maybe he'll wake up and Deanna will tell him he needs to play/not play. For someone like Favre, more time means that there may be more information, so that the decision can make itself.

woodbuck27
07-26-2009, 01:28 PM

Ah, the old "I'm not making any excuses, but" routine. Could be, PB. I think Favre is more complicated than many people believe him to be.

You're right too that there's really no more info to be had, but I'm not sure that Favre knows that or at least wants to know that. Maybe he'll wake up and his arm will feel like crap and tell him not to play; maybe he'll wake up and Deanna will tell him he needs to play/not play. For someone like Favre, more time means that there may be more information, so that the decision can make itself.

Fritz. I don't beleve Favre is complicated but this decision is very much so if he weighs in on it all. Favre has to ask himself simply:

What do I want to do? If the answer is to play again and compete then what could be easier then choosing the Vikings? He has to find just that one and best question as it concerns his year and forget the beyond.

MOBB DEEP
07-27-2009, 07:54 AM
on mike and mike herm edwards (my main man!) says "you dont put a time limit on brett favre"

interesting how most if not all of the old school cats and current icons of the sport (players and coaches) support favres desire to return and to wait until he's certain he can last the entire season

i like how erik kuselias says packer org cant be mad if he goes to minny last firday on the herd; stating that if your girlfriend dumps u she cant tell you who you can date!

im happy as a lark favre will be playing my packers AT LEAST two times this year

OH DRAMA...!!!

Fritz
07-27-2009, 08:08 AM

Fritz. I don't beleve Favre is complicated but this decision is very much so if he weighs in on it all. Favre has to ask himself simply:

What do I want to do? If the answer is to play again and compete then what could be easier then choosing the Vikings? He has to find just that one and best question as it concerns his year and forget the beyond.

Ah, the psyche of Brett Favre. We don't agree here, Woody. I think his aw-shucks demeanor fools people, but I think he is - like many human beings - rather complex.

You make a good point when you write that it really is simple: does he want to play, or not?

He has, according to Favre himself, the blessing of his family.

He has what appears to be a lucrative offer from a team.

That team is accorded contender status - best running back in the NFL (in my opinion), strong defense, and a good young receiver in Sydney Rice. The o-line appears solid.

The team making the offer runs the exact offense - according to Favre - that he ran in GB for years.

So it's simple: do you want to play, or not?

If Favre, who says his arm feels fine, can't make a decision until the very last moment, and according to reports is absolutely agonizing over this decision, feeling weighted by what-if's and text messages from prospective teammates, then he's not that simple of a man.

Pugger
07-27-2009, 10:40 AM
If his arm is feeling fine and if he's getting all this love from his future queens teammates as it has been reported, then what is going on here? If he has made up his mind, why is he hemming and hawwing? I find it remarkable that a man who professes to love to play so much is having such a hard time making up his mind yet again. I believe this indecisiveness and lack of commitment on Favre's part were the real reasons on why MM chose Rodgers over Favre to be his starter in 2008 and why TT traded BF to NY.