PDA

View Full Version : Vikings redo Winfields contract

hoosier
07-24-2009, 09:43 AM
Vikings reportedly redid Antoine Winfield for 5 years at $36M total, $16M guaranteed. That's a lot of cash to invest in trying to keep a 32 year old cornerback happy, but I suppose the Tampa 2 system might allow him to remain productive despite the effects of aging. Assuming the Vikings know what they're doing, I see their ability to do this as testament to the stellar job they do at cap management.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4351332

Rastak
07-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Vikings reportedly redid Antoine Winfield for 5 years at $36M total, $16M guaranteed. That's a lot of cash to invest in trying to keep a 32 year old cornerback happy, but I suppose the Tampa 2 system might allow him to remain productive despite the effects of aging. Assuming the Vikings know what they're doing, I see their ability to do this as testament to the stellar job they do at cap management.

Kind of a strange contract. He gets the cash this year and next and then he is subject to "de-escalators". Instead getting a bump up for starting, he gets his salary cut if he isn't the starter.

hoosier
07-24-2009, 03:56 PM

Kind of a strange contract. He gets the cash this year and next and then he is subject to "de-escalators". Instead getting a bump up for starting, he gets his salary cut if he isn't the starter.

I guess that's how 35 year old cornerbacks get around.....Dey take de escalators! :lol:

Rastak
07-24-2009, 05:56 PM
:rs: 8-)

Fritz
07-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Vikings' GM takin' lesson from the Tedmeister!

Go you, Ras!

PlantPage55
07-24-2009, 08:28 PM

Go you, Ras!

The Vikings and the Pack seem to have 2 front offices that are VERY good (prolific even) at contract writing.

mngolf19
07-24-2009, 08:45 PM

Go you, Ras!

Actually our cap guy has been around longer than Teddy.

MichiganPackerFan
07-24-2009, 09:41 PM

Go you, Ras!

Has he? I thought Brandt moved on a couple years back. Or am I mistaken?

hoosier
07-24-2009, 09:47 PM

Go you, Ras!

Has he? I thought Brandt moved on a couple years back. Or am I mistaken?

Brzezinski has been doing the Vikings books for, what, almost a decade now? If I'm not mistaken he's thought of as the best in the league at managing the salary cap.

Rastak
07-25-2009, 12:13 AM

Go you, Ras!

The Vikings and the Pack seem to have 2 front offices that are VERY good (prolific even) at contract writing.

Completely agree. Both have done some clever things.

Fritz
07-25-2009, 09:10 AM

Go you, Ras!

Ah, you. Letting facts get in the way.

CaliforniaCheez
07-26-2009, 07:43 AM
Wasted money.

The guy isn't that good of a CB or he would have more than 3 INT's in the last 2 years.

Also the vikings pass defense was 20th in the NFL.

The guy will get cut or traded before the contract is complete.

mngolf19
07-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Wasted money.

The guy isn't that good of a CB or he would have more than 3 INT's in the last 2 years.

Also the vikings pass defense was 20th in the NFL.

The guy will get cut or traded before the contract is complete.

This shows you haven't watched/know the Vikes much. Not that I would expect you to.

1. that's not his game or what is expected of him
2. is really not that meaningful
3. will not happen(did you read the part about de-escalators?)

Gunakor
07-27-2009, 03:58 AM

How many INT's has Al Harris accumulated in the past 2 years?

He's pretty good, no?

Waldo
07-27-2009, 06:08 AM

Go you, Ras!

Ah, you. Letting facts get in the way.

Don't mess with Vikes fans and Brz.

They don't all care for the owners.

Most dislike the coaching.

They love their cap guy. (Seems pathetic, I know, but he is the only non-player that Vikings fans universally agree apon liking). Brz is to Vikes fans what Wolf is to Packers fans.

Rastak
07-27-2009, 06:23 AM
Hmmmmm, how many Viking fans do you know Waldo?

Almost every one I know loves the owners.

I agree, most do not like Chilly. I know most of this forum held him in high regard before he signed on in Minnesota. * sarcasm *.

Not sure why it would be pathetic to hold your cap guy in high regard.

Let me just say this, I wish we (Viking fans) were as unified as Packer fans are, standing behind Murphy, Thompson and McCarthy. * more sarcasm *!

:?

Waldo
07-27-2009, 06:30 AM

Most of my family lives in Mn.

I went to school in Mn.

I chat at other much larger general NFL places where GB fans and Mn fans are quite friendly towards each other.

There seems to be mutual distrust of the Mn owners. If it is in the back of your mind that the owners have been doing everything in their power to get a new stadium; if that doesn't work the team is out the door in the not too distant future, do you really love your ownership?

Fritz
07-27-2009, 07:46 AM
I would imagine there are some owners of the Packers that I would love to love...

MOBB DEEP
07-27-2009, 08:05 AM

I agree, most do not like Chilly. I know most of this forum held him in high regard before he signed on in Minnesota. * sarcasm *.

Not sure why it would be pathetic to hold your cap guy in high regard.

Let me just say this, I wish we (Viking fans) were as unified as Packer fans are, standing behind Murphy, Thompson and McCarthy. * more sarcasm *!

:?

ras, y did you all get rid of sharper? money? he's in N.O. now right?

Rastak
07-27-2009, 08:21 AM

I went to school in Mn.

I chat at other much larger general NFL places where GB fans and Mn fans are quite friendly towards each other.

There seems to be mutual distrust of the Mn owners. If it is in the back of your mind that the owners have been doing everything in their power to get a new stadium; if that doesn't work the team is out the door in the not too distant future, do you really love your ownership?

Love? Kind of a strong word. Like? Sure. What have they done that's been bad for the franchise? Modernized the facilities, expanded the coaching budget. Addressed team needs.

They haven't done a single negative thing, so why would I dislike them? Just like everything else in the world, I reserve the right to change my mind if they do something negative. If Canada invades the USA for example, I'd stop liking them. :D

I recall one of the first games after Zygi bought the team a bunch of fans were chanting

Zygi Zaggy Zygi Zaggy oi oi oi!

As they filed out of the dome after a win. Was kind of a funny chant and alot of people jumped right in.

Waldo
07-27-2009, 08:25 AM

I went to school in Mn.

Love? Kind of a strong word. Like? Sure.

Ummm......

Your words

I recall one of the first games after Zygi bought the team a bunch of fans were chanting

Zygi Zaggy Zygi Zaggy oi oi oi!

As they filed out of the dome after a win. Was kind of a funny chant and alot of people jumped right in.

It came from the Man Show with Jimmy Kimmel and Adam Corolla, lasted a couple of seasons. That chant is probably the most famous thing to come form the show.

Rastak
07-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Love vs like.

DOH!

I thought I said like.....yikes, my bad. I meant likes.

On the chant, never saw that so it makes sense now.

sharpe1027
07-27-2009, 09:53 AM
It came from the Man Show with Jimmy Kimmel and Adam Corolla, lasted a couple of seasons. That chant is probably the most famous thing to come form the show.

That song was around long before the man show. Sad, but the most famous thing to come from that show, did not even come from the show. Ein Prosit! :lol:

Pugger
07-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Maybe they are trying to free up more money for #4?