PDA

View Full Version : Happy Pioneer Day!!!!

Scott Campbell
07-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Pioneer Day (also archaically called the Day of Deliverance)[1] is an official holiday celebrated on July 24 in the U.S. state of Utah, with some celebrations in regions of surrounding states originally settled by Mormon pioneers. It commemorates the entry of Brigham Young and the first group of Mormon pioneers into the Salt Lake Valley on July 24, 1847, where the Latter-day Saints settled after being forced from Nauvoo, Illinois and other locations in the eastern United States. Parades, fireworks, rodeos, and other festivities help commemorate the event.

In addition to being an official holiday in Utah, Pioneer Day is considered a special occasion by many members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. On Pioneer Day, some Latter-day Saints walk portions of the Mormon Trail or reenact entering the Salt Lake Valley by handcart. Even Latter-day Saints outside of the U.S. occasionally sing Mormon folk music around July 24 in remembrance of the pioneer era.

Utahns also celebrate the day by remembering other pioneers, such as Bishop Daniel Tuttle, who was responsible for Utah's first non-Mormon schools (Rowland Hall-St. Mark's) and first public hospital (St. Mark's) in the 1800s.[2] The Intertribal Powwow at Liberty Park in Salt Lake City honors the rich cultural heritage and contributions of the area's American Indians, helping Utahns to gain a deeper understanding of the region's history.[3]

Salt Lake City also celebrates with fireworks and the "Days of '47 Parade". Spanish Fork celebrates with "Fiesta Days".

MJZiggy
07-24-2009, 08:37 PM
Please tell me this is a drinking holiday....

oregonpackfan
07-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Congratulations, Scott! May you and your wives have a festive day! :)

mraynrand
07-24-2009, 09:47 PM

All Mormon holidays are non-drinking holidays. Go get some ice cream, have your nails done by one of the thousand nail shops in Sandy, can some fruit, and dream of planet Kolob.

MJZiggy
07-24-2009, 10:01 PM
Screw that. Anyone got any Jack Daniels?

Scott Campbell
07-25-2009, 12:00 AM

It is for my crew.

Fosco33
07-25-2009, 12:59 AM
I got the pleasure of celebrating the last 2 Pioneer Days in Utah - sad that I missed this year's festivities.

Everyone has off from work. There are parades and fireworks - and typically great weather.

The first year - our group did a rafting trip and going to a lake for a bbq. Last year, we had a pool party and then went to a SLC Bees game (minor league baseball).

While the LDS don't drink, the other 50% of SLC residents knew how to throw them back. Good times...

Happy Pioneer Day, Scott.

Cheesehead Craig
07-25-2009, 08:41 PM
Don't forget, there's no telemarketing allowed in the state also. Can we get them to agree to not talk to us about their belief the other 364 days of the year?

Scott Campbell
07-26-2009, 12:09 AM
They don't bother me, which makes sense when you think about it.

Fosco, how'd you end up out here?

Fosco33
07-27-2009, 12:03 PM

I did an 18month consulting gig for Intermountain Healthcare. Lived/worked downtown for the first year and then up in Logan for the last 6 months.

We had about 60 people from all over the country - very favorable comments from all. Utah is a beautiful state that has plenty to offer.

Scott Campbell
07-27-2009, 02:18 PM

I did an 18month consulting gig for Intermountain Healthcare. Lived/worked downtown for the first year and then up in Logan for the last 6 months.

We had about 60 people from all over the country - very favorable comments from all. Utah is a beautiful state that has plenty to offer.

Did you get to ski much?

How'd you like Logan? USU is somewhere that my kids could end up going to.

GBRulz
07-27-2009, 08:57 PM

LOL good one.

I remember when I went there the first time, it was for training, (owned by Mormons, HQ's in SLC) and there wasn't even a coffee pot in the building bc Mormons don't drink that either.

Then SLC has this LDS control freak that wouldn't show "Brokeback Mountain" in the theaters he owned. He banned the showing of another movie not too long ago, too because it had "sex" in the name of it.

Utah was one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to, but the culture shock and ultra conservative & controlling ways would drive me nuts.

Scott Campbell
07-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Then SLC has this LDS control freak that wouldn't show "Brokeback Mountain" in the theaters he owned. He banned the showing of another movie not too long ago, too because it had "sex" in the name of it.

Utah was one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to, but the culture shock and ultra conservative & controlling ways would drive me nuts.

That's the typical reaction here from people new to the area - love it or hate it. There's no middle ground. People who move here without getting briefed are often overwhelmed by the culture.

The guy that wouldn't show Brokeback Mountain was Larry Miller - owner of the Utah Jazz, a slew of car dealerships, a race track and a bunch of other movie theater/entertainment complexes. He was a an amazing man, who sadly passed away earlier this year. He took a lot of heat for not showing that movie, but ultimately met with local gay and lesbian leaders and began a dialogue. He sometimes got a bad rap nationally, but may have been the most universally loved man in this state.

Fosco33
07-28-2009, 05:15 PM

Did you get to ski much?

Made it to Cottonwood, Deer Valley, etc. Great snow!!

I wasn't big on Logan - it's much more LDS than SLC... sorry. Have your kids looked at Ogden - Weber State is pretty good school. Spent a few months up there too. Ogden > Logan.

I was surprised that SLC wasn't more controlled (overtly) by the LDS. Working for the largest employer in Utah that was founded by the LDS and working with 90% LDS -- I was never once approached, tried to be converted or even debated. The liquor laws were a little odd but getting a pass to a 'club' seemed better than paying door fees in LA...

I was also very surprised by the amount of homeless (I lived near Pioneer Park). If I were homeless, I'd find a beach. 8-)

Scott Campbell
07-28-2009, 05:20 PM

Did you get to ski much?

Made it to Cottonwood, Deer Valley, etc. Great snow!!

I wasn't big on Logan - it's much more LDS than SLC... sorry. Have your kids looked at Ogden - Weber State is pretty good school. Spent a few months up there too. Ogden > Logan.

I was surprised that SLC wasn't more controlled (overtly) by the LDS. Working for the largest employer in Utah that was founded by the LDS and working with 90% LDS -- I was never once approached, tried to be converted or even debated. The liquor laws were a little odd but getting a pass to a 'club' seemed better than paying door fees in LA...

I was also very surprised by the amount of homeless (I lived near Pioneer Park). If I were homeless, I'd find a beach. 8-)

They repealed the private club law last month - no more passes (membership) required. I've been here nearly 20 years and haven't been approached, but it's probably because they have standards and know better. And yeah, that's what I've heard about Logan, and why I asked.

GBRulz
07-31-2009, 10:28 AM
They repealed the private club law last month - no more passes (membership) required. I've been here nearly 20 years and haven't been approached, but it's probably because they have standards and know better. And yeah, that's what I've heard about Logan, and why I asked.

Did the private club dollars that placed charged go directly to the state? IMO, for the patrons, just was pretty much a glorified cover charge.

Yeah, my first sign of "I'm not in WI anymore." happened when we were riding Trax and asked two people, one of them being a cop, which stop we should get off to get to the Tavernacle (dueling piano bar), not Tabernacle. And neither had a clue what the Tavernacle was, but asked if I was sure I wasn't looking for the Mormon Choir. Um, yes, it was 8 pm on a weekend, I'm pretty sure...lol.