PDA

View Full Version : Comcast's Power Rankings of NFL teams' WR/TE corps

oregonpackfan
07-25-2009, 12:13 PM
Here is an interesting power ranking of the NFL teams' WR?TE corps by Comast.

http://www.comcast.net/slideshow/sports-wrterankings/

Fritz
07-25-2009, 12:19 PM
Packers seem about right. #8. No Anquain Boldin, but lots of very good receivers and lots of depth.

Packnut
07-25-2009, 12:56 PM
To low a ranking. Finley is gonna have a bust-out year. :shock:

PlantPage55
07-25-2009, 02:29 PM
To low a ranking. Finley is gonna have a bust-out year. :shock:

Agreed. Finley is going to come up BIG time for us. He's too physically talented NOT to. Look at how he started to come on in the second half of last season. It'll be tough for opposing teams to get someone who can cover him optimally.

HarveyWallbangers
07-25-2009, 03:02 PM
Packers seem about right. #8. No Anquain Boldin, but lots of very good receivers and lots of depth.

Jennings is comparable to Boldin, but Fitzgerald is sick.

Look at the list, it's hard to argue. The Chargers at #5 seems a tad high. Gates is a great TE, but our WRs are better than Chambers, Jackson, and Floyd. I'd drop them back to #8. That would put us at #7. Not bad rankings though.

woodbuck27
07-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Were 8th here too:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9787230/Positional-Power-Rankings:-WR/TE-packages

GO PACKERS!

HarveyWallbangers
07-25-2009, 03:47 PM
Were 8th here too:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9787230/Positional-Power-Rankings:-WR/TE-packages

GO PACKERS!

I think it's the same rankings, Woody. Both sites are using the same source.

Scott Campbell
07-25-2009, 03:51 PM
I'd put us at #3 on that list, and I'd also move Houston up as a tie with us.

Brando19
07-25-2009, 04:05 PM
I would put New England at 1 and Arizona at 2. Randy Moss makes anyone look good at QB and Wes Welker is a threat of his own. Now Joey Galloway?! I believe New England's receiving corp made Matt Cassell look waaaaay better than he really is.

vince
07-25-2009, 04:38 PM
I'd put us at #3 on that list, and I'd also move Houston up as a tie with us.
I agree, While Andre Johnson may be the best in the league right now, I think we are better than Houston 2-5 at WR. Daniels has definitely been more productive than Donald Lee though.

CaptainKickass
07-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Look at how he started to come on in the second half of last season.

I don't rightly recall Finley really coming on last season. I remember him getting some additional opportunities - and while he made a few nice plays - I also remember him disappointing me with some easy shoulda been grabs.

Felt more like 50/50, but I'd be thrilled to see him impress this season.

hoosier
07-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Buffalo and New Orleans are also overrated here. Buffalo is way overrated, IMO. Evans and Owens have a lot of talent but we have yet to see whether they can mesh well together. The depth behind 1 and 2 in Buffalo doesn't impress me. New Orleans has a bunch of nice receivers, but for just 2009 I wouldn't take any of them over Jennings or Driver.

CaptainKickass
07-26-2009, 02:32 PM

I don't rightly recall Finley really coming on last season. I remember him getting some additional opportunities - and while he made a few nice plays - I also remember him disappointing me with some easy shoulda been grabs.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/packers//459650

Illustration of my previous comment - I don't feel like this qualifies as "coming on".

"Finley caught six passes for 74 yards while playing in 14 games. But he did flash in the season finale, when he caught a 3-yard touchdown and also had a 26-yard reception, one week after hauling in a 35-yard pass from Aaron Rodgers at Chicago."

pack4to84
07-26-2009, 03:49 PM
Too bad I don't feal sorry for Cutler going from the 7th ranked Denver WR/TE to 27th ranked bears WR/TE or the 11th ranked Denver OL vs the bears 24th ranked

Waldo
07-26-2009, 05:31 PM
So are we rating #1 guys here or corps?

Apparently it is a list of #1 guys with a bit of consideration for the rest of the team.

And absolutely no though given to complimentary skillsets, which some teams are very good at (GB, NE), some are very bad at (Phi, Ari).

You don't need two superstars when #2 compliments #1 perfectly, #3 compliments #1 and #2 perfectly, #4 compliments #1, #2, #3 perfectly, etc..

Waldo
07-26-2009, 05:46 PM

Illustration of my previous comment - I don't feel like this qualifies as "coming on".

"Finley caught six passes for 74 yards while playing in 14 games. But he did flash in the season finale, when he caught a 3-yard touchdown and also had a 26-yard reception, one week after hauling in a 35-yard pass from Aaron Rodgers at Chicago."

It was the way he did it.

I am a staunch believer in the fact that you can learn almost everything that you need to know about a player in about 5 plays. (I was a relentless supporter of AR last year at this time using the same logic (even though he was terribly "unproven"), everything I saw in the few plays showed me that he had what it takes to be a star and excel from day 1, that there would be next to zero first time starter struggling, and was largely proven right).

I don't know that he caught it, but on one of Finley's TD pass tries he exhibited the body control and ball skills of Jones. Being 6'5", turn-highpointing a pass (rotating at the jump and catching at the top of the leap) is undefendable, no defender can defend a well thrown pass caught that way, but it is as difficult a catch as there is. If Finley can reliably catch those, lobs out to Jermichael at the corner will be lethal, he will be one of the least coverable RZ players in the NFL.

Another play he caught a crosser at full speed by just turning his torso. Seems simple but watch what % of TE's do this. It is a surprisingly low #.

Another play he caught a sideline pass over his inner shoulder. He was athletic enough to release, get to the sideline, and turn up, and had the tracking and ball skills to catch over his shoulder, which few TE's can do (heck guys like R. Martin struggle with it).

Finley may not be the most athletic guy (but he's up there and pretty good), or good at blocking, he certainly was slow to pick up the playbook, and was a bit immature at times, but his ball skills at TE are very, very elite.

I disliked Jermichael from the day we picked him, and got more down on him as the season progressed, until late. He made me a believer in just a couple of plays.

Fritz
07-27-2009, 07:59 AM

It was the way he did it.

I am a staunch believer in the fact that you can learn almost everything that you need to know about a player in about 5 plays. (I was a relentless supporter of AR last year at this time using the same logic (even though he was terribly "unproven"), everything I saw in the few plays showed me that he had what it takes to be a star and excel from day 1, that there would be next to zero first time starter struggling, and was largely proven right).

I don't know that he caught it, but on one of Finley's TD pass tries he exhibited the body control and ball skills of Jones. Being 6'5", turn-highpointing a pass (rotating at the jump and catching at the top of the leap) is undefendable, no defender can defend a well thrown pass caught that way, but it is as difficult a catch as there is. If Finley can reliably catch those, lobs out to Jermichael at the corner will be lethal, he will be one of the least coverable RZ players in the NFL.

Another play he caught a crosser at full speed by just turning his torso. Seems simple but watch what % of TE's do this. It is a surprisingly low #.

Another play he caught a sideline pass over his inner shoulder. He was athletic enough to release, get to the sideline, and turn up, and had the tracking and ball skills to catch over his shoulder, which few TE's can do (heck guys like R. Martin struggle with it).

Finley may not be the most athletic guy (but he's up there and pretty good), or good at blocking, he certainly was slow to pick up the playbook, and was a bit immature at times, but his ball skills at TE are very, very elite.

I disliked Jermichael from the day we picked him, and got more down on him as the season progressed, until late. He made me a believer in just a couple of plays.

Somebody cue up the Monkees here.

CaptainKickass
07-27-2009, 12:54 PM
Somebody cue up the Monkees here.

Uh,

Like Okayyyyyy

http://www.poster.net/monkees-the/monkees-the-photo-xxl-the-monkees-6230917.jpg

KYPack
07-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Buffalo #3?

Is Owens a positve or negative factor in that rating.

Oakland? Sheezus! are those guys in the witness protection program or something? The only one I knew was that DHB kid. & I don't really know who he is.

I hate those slideshow things, anyway.