PDA

View Full Version : Anybody still want Crabtree?

Lurker64
07-26-2009, 12:20 AM
According to the the Santa Rosa Press Democrat (http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/07/will-hefty-demand-lead-to-crabtree-contract-stalemate.html) as well as Profootballtalk.com (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/25/clouds-gather-between-niners-crabtree/), there are ominous signs that Crabtree is going to be very difficult for the 49ers to wrangle.

Apparently, Crabtree's agent, Eugene Parker, is claiming that since Crabtree should have been one of the top 5 players drafted, that he should deserve a top 5 contract. Ordinarily, these sorts of things don't work out for the agents (Brady Quinn's agent said something similar the year he was drafted), but problematically Parker has been historically a fan of holdout tactics. At least four of his clients last year missed time as a "holdout" in order to improve their positioning as per a contract.

I don't doubt that similar concerns might be arising if we had taken Crabtree at 9, though we would have probably had a better bargaining position, since Crabtree would have been purely a luxury pick for us.

Gunakor
07-26-2009, 03:49 AM
No I don't want Crabtree, but it has nothing to do with these reports. The guy was cursed even before the draft. The Curse of Bretsky, as it's known around these parts. Al Davis knew of this curse. He's smarter than we give him credit for, I tell ya.

Another career well on it's way to an underwhelming end, thanks to the Bretsky. Well done B. Next time, pick a guy drafted by the Vikings or the Bears so we can really celebrate.

CaliforniaCheez
07-26-2009, 07:38 AM
His agent is Eugene Parker, the guy who held out Cedric Benson and wrecked his career, who will cause trouble with this negotiation.

The guy was not the first receiver picked.

There is too much ego there for a dumb rookie.

His numbers will not be good because he plays for the 49'ers.

pbmax
07-26-2009, 08:10 AM
Couldn't this just be public posturing?

Although, if Singletary has already made him cry, then he might not be the best candidate for this strategy.

Fritz
07-26-2009, 09:18 AM

Although, if Singletary has already made him cry, then he might not be the best candidate for this strategy.

Joke or for real, PB? I'm guessing joke.

As for the Curse of Bretsky, be it known that Bretsky picks his guys before the draft, so there's no way for him to know if his accursed choice will end up in Cinci or San Fran.

I am still waiting for some news report of Crabtree involving some combination of strip clubs, handguns, drugs, alcohol, and/or laundry baskets.

Bretsky
07-26-2009, 10:27 AM
Think a little agent posturing is going to change my view of the Crabtrain ?

OF COURSE I still want him :!:

pbmax
07-26-2009, 10:46 AM

As for the Curse of Bretsky, be it known that Bretsky picks his guys before the draft, so there's no way for him to know if his accursed choice will end up in Cinci or San Fran.

I am still waiting for some news report of Crabtree involving some combination of strip clubs, handguns, drugs, alcohol, and/or laundry baskets.
Nope, serious. He was supposed to be rehabbing during an offseason program (OTA I think) and got involved in some drill or activity he was not medically cleared for.

Singletary intervened and the reports were that by the end of it, Crabtree was teary eyed. Now in fairness, Singletary discussed this on Dan Patrick's radio show and said if Crabtree was upset (I don't think he specifically confirmed what emotional reaction he had) it was over not being able to participate despite feeling 100%, rather than fear of Singletary.

My perspective is that a lot more is being read into it because of all the diva talk and the fall to #10. But publicly, so far, this guy hasn't found his footing. On the plus side, everyone thought Jerry Rice was a drop prone Bambi his rookie year. He had an all-time Bad Haircut that led to the unfortunate nickname. So Michael has plenty of time to prove everyone wrong.

mraynrand
07-26-2009, 10:50 AM

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/harreldump.jpg

Bretsky
07-26-2009, 10:50 AM

Nope, serious. He was supposed to be rehabbing during an offseason program (OTA I think) and got involved in some drill or activity he was not medically cleared for.

Singletary intervened and the reports were that by the end of it, Crabtree was teary eyed. Now in fairness, Singletary discussed this on Dan Patrick's radio show and said if Crabtree was upset (I don't think he specifically confirmed what emotional reaction he had) it was over not being able to participate despite feeling 100%, rather than fear of Singletary.

My perspective is that a lot more is being read into it because of all the diva talk and the fall to #10. But publicly, so far, this guy hasn't found his footing. On the plus side, everyone thought Jerry Rice was a drop prone Bambi his rookie year. He had an all-time Bad Haircut that led to the unfortunate nickname. So Michael has plenty of time to prove everyone wrong.

And more importantly, prove me right :!: :lol:

rbaloha1
07-26-2009, 11:38 AM
At the time of the draft, I really wanted Crabtree. Respect TT's rationale for choosing Raji over Crabtree -- good big guys are more difficult to find than good small guys.

Even with that rationale I still would have selected Crabtree. Expect both players to make immediate impact and become pro bowl players.

Fritz
07-26-2009, 12:58 PM

Thanks, Rand. That's a load off my mind.

woodbuck27
07-26-2009, 01:30 PM

Now there's a guy who looks like he gives a shit.

Gunakor
07-27-2009, 03:26 AM

But we can figure out ahead of time what the predicted draft position is, evaluate team needs for both the Vikes and Bears, and formulate a fairly educated guess as to who they'll pick. We have enough brilliant football minds here at PR to narrow it down.

Next year we'll get together and figure it out. B, whichever incoming rookie we as a group decide will be of the greatest help to the Vikings or the Bears based on predicted draft position and team need, that's your draft darling in 2010. Your mojo works, it's just a bit misguided. We're here to help.

:D

Fritz
07-27-2009, 07:56 AM
I like your thinking, Gun, but I am concerned that we would be putting constraints on the genius that is Bretsky. I think it's more of an artistic/sub-conscious thing, some deep inner connection that would be disrupted if we tried to guide it...

HarveyWallbangers
07-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Now there's a guy who looks like he gives a shit.

Shouldn't that be a picture of Davenpoop?

Gunakor
07-28-2009, 05:43 AM
I like your thinking, Gun, but I am concerned that we would be putting constraints on the genius that is Bretsky. I think it's more of an artistic/sub-conscious thing, some deep inner connection that would be disrupted if we tried to guide it...

You're probably right, unfortunately. Damn karma's always gotta come full circle too. It would probably be Green Bay that takes the brunt of the curse if we tried to play God's hand.

If only there were some way...

:satan:

SnakeLH2006
07-29-2009, 02:48 AM

:shock: :lol:

hoosier
07-30-2009, 12:38 PM
F'ing Crabtree is going to create a holdout situation with Raji. That would be too bad. But the Raiders did sign their #1 pick, who went two picks before Raji, so maybe there will be some movement soon. On that note, if Crabtree can argue that he should get top 5 money because that's where he "would have gone," I wonder if the Raiders could have deployed a similar strategy in negotiating DHB's contract: he "should have gone" somewhere in the 20s and only went as high as he did because of Al Davis's lunacy. So his rookie contract would be on a par with, say, Percy Harvin or Vontae Davis! :lol:

rbaloha1
07-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Raji does not strike me as a holdout type of player--Crabtree does.

Crabby is a diva but is a future big time player.

hoosier
07-30-2009, 01:09 PM

But if Crabtree is going to sign for #5 money, Raji's agent would look pretty foolish letting him sign for #9 money. It's not just Raji's will that is in play here, the agent stands to gain or lose a lot as well.

rbaloha1
07-30-2009, 01:34 PM

But if Crabtree is going to sign for #5 money, Raji's agent would look pretty foolish letting him sign for #9 money. It's not just Raji's will that is in play here, the agent stands to gain or lose a lot as well.

True. My guess is Raji signs before Crabby rather than wait for Crabby's deal.

SnakeLH2006
07-31-2009, 12:12 AM

True. My guess is Raji signs before Crabby rather than wait for Crabby's deal.

No doubt Crabby will be a diva, but might just be a TO skill-wise to break Bretsky's curse. This one looks like it might happen.

Either way, what's a guess on Raji's deal? I'm floored that Big Gay Al gave Heward-Bey $23 mill guarandamnteed today with 5 years and maybe almost $39 million. WTF? That guy might be out the league in 4 years. He gave him about $5 more mill guaranteed than the #7 in 2008? WTF? Just die Al. You are ruining football for more than your Gaydiers. Sign some more scrub, injured DT's for record setting contracts, and give JWalk some more scrilla. Fucking Al....you senile EVIL bastard!

I hear they are rebooting the Hellraiser movie franchise starring Al Davis as Pinhead:

http://www.9asshole.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/aldavis.jpg

http://patdollard.com/wp-content/uploads/pinhead.jpg

falco
09-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Latest reports are that Crabtree is now planning to re-enter 2010.

Hard to second guess TT's choice to pass him over now.

I will be thoroughly enjoying it when this guy drops to the second round or so based on this BS...even if he doesn't, hard to imagine he'll get a bigger check than what SF is offering now.

In fact, it would be wonderful to see a rookie wage scale put in place sometime this offseason... :P

Lurker64
09-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Can we attribute this to the curse of Bretsky?

Fritz
09-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Whaddya mean "attribute"? This IS the curse of Bretsky in action.

Damn, Bretsky. You're good. Or bad. You haven't missed - or is it hit? - on one yet.

oregonpackfan
09-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Crabtree is ruining his NFL career, IMMO. Other than Crazy Al Davis, which GM is going to want this guy with his attitude?

Lurker64
09-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Crabtree is ruining his NFL career, IMMO. Other than Crazy Al Davis, which GM is going to want this guy with his attitude?

The question we all want to ask is "What is Michael Crabtree thinking?"

The answer, of course, is "He isn't."

Partial
09-13-2009, 12:06 PM
I love his talent but man, this is just out of hand and extremely unexpected. Hwo can you miss regular season games over a couple (out of many) mil?

ThunderDan
09-13-2009, 02:59 PM
I love his talent but man, this is just out of hand and extremely unexpected. Hwo can you miss regular season games over a couple (out of many) mil?

The issue isn't how many millions this year, its how many next year.

5 years/ $60 million for Sanchez at 5
5 years/ $28 million for Raji at 9

Next year:
4 years/ $13 million ?

What a complete idiot!!!