PDA

View Full Version : Grilling fanatics - try hickory

Patler
07-27-2009, 12:09 PM
I have gotten into grilling/smoking quite intensely. There is a lot of debate about the best woods and procedures for the "low and slow" preparation of ribs, butt, etc. I have been trying many different woods, procedures etc. to find what I like best.

This weekend I found hickory wood chunks (not chips) at Walmart. I have never seen them there before. These are wood, not charcoal, and are large chucks, not the small chips you can use in a smoke box or wrapped in foil (which I think are only minimally useful). The typical size of a chunk is about the size of a standard briquette (I personally use only hardwood charcoal chunks, not briquettes.) You can easily use these hickory chunks as your only fuel source if you want to.

Anyway, I had a number of guests this weekend so I did both a small pork butt for pulled pork, and two full racks of ribs (pork). I mixed my standard hardwood chunk charcoal with the hickory chunks. Thus, as the fire progressed there was always a few new hickory chunks ignited.

I usually get good results and complements on my grilling; but this was exceptional this time. People complemented the taste over and over again. Some couldn't stop talking about it. I think it was the hickory smoke, because everything else was my standard.

I'm impressed with the hickory wood, and next time I will probably try a full hickory fire. If you are in to this sort of thing, check out your Walmart for the hickory chunks, and give it a try.

Next, I will use it for chicken.

GrnBay007
07-27-2009, 12:30 PM
I have gotten into grilling/smoking quite intensely. There is a lot of debate about the best woods and procedures for the "low and slow" preparation of ribs, butt, etc. I have been trying many different woods, procedures etc. to find what I like best.

This weekend I found hickory wood chunks (not chips) at Walmart. I have never seen them there before. These are wood, not charcoal, and are large chucks, not the small chips you can use in a smoke box or wrapped in foil (which I think or only minimally useful). The typical size of a chunk is about the size of a standard briquette (I personally use only hardwood charcoal chunks, not briquettes.) You can easily use these hickory chunks as your only fuel source if you want to.

Anyway, I had a number of guests this weekend so I did both a small pork butt for pulled pork, and two full racks of ribs (pork). I mixed my standard hardwood chunk charcoal with the hickory chunks. Thus, as the fire progressed there was always a few new hickory chunks ignited.

I usually get good results and complements on my grilling; but this was exceptional this time. People complemented the taste over and over again. Some couldn't stop talking about it. I think it was the hickory smoke, because everything else was my standard.

I'm impressed with the hickory wood, and next time I will probably try a full hickory fire. If you are in to this sort of thing, check out your Walmart for the hickory chunks, and give it a try.

What time should we be there? :D

SkinBasket
07-27-2009, 12:35 PM
I know a guy who's kind of a blowhard who's opinion on preparing ribs differs greatly from my own. What's your procedure for prep and grilling?

Scott Campbell
07-27-2009, 12:55 PM
I know a guy who's kind of a blowhard who's opinion on preparing ribs differs greatly from my own.

Nutz?

Freak Out
07-27-2009, 01:08 PM
I love to grill that way and will check Wally world here later to see if the chunks are available in AK. I have a big fire-pit and have cooked steaks right on the Birch coals before after seeing it done somewhere else. It turned out ok but hardwood works much better. I love to smoke and cook with Alder which I can harvest here but have also used mesquite and really enjoyed that as well. I love to cook shoulder the way you described............NOW ME HUNGRY!

Patler
07-27-2009, 01:48 PM
I know a guy who's kind of a blowhard who's opinion on preparing ribs differs greatly from my own. What's your procedure for prep and grilling?

I will give you everything I know! I have tried a number of things, but what I like best is:

-Pick meaty ribs without a lot of visible bone, or exposed cut bone ends (called "shiners"). They say the shiners can give a burnt taste to the meat, because they will char. I don't know if it is true or not, I just look for the best looking meat.

-Remove the silver skin on the inside of the ribs. If it is not removed, it can get quite tough or chewy. This I know to be true from my own experimentation. I trim away the large, excess fat chunks. I cook the slabs whole, or halved if I need grill space arranged differently. I cut into one or two rib pieces only after I am done cooking them.

-Apply a dry rub. I like "flavorful" more than "hot" or "spicey". Some of my favorites are chicken rubs. I am sort of a moderate rub guy. I use some, but not as much as some people do. I like the taste of the pork itself to come through.
Several times I have smeared the surface with a light coat of mustard before the rub. Some people thought this was fantastic flavor enhancement. I liked it, but it didn't thrill me.

-I let the rub sit on the ribs in the fridge for a couple hours at least, sometimes even over night. I want it to dissolve on the surface and penetrate. A neat trick I learned from a professional chef who has won quite a few rib contests: If you are short on time, sprinkle a small amount (just a pinch or two) of raw or natural sugar (brand I find is "Sugar In The Raw") on the ribs with the rub. It brings moisture to the surface and gets the rub working faster. Do not use table sugar. It's melting point is lower and can char.

-I have had a ceramic grill (a Primo, http://www.primogrill.com/home.html there are others, too.) This grill has improved my results a lot. You can close the top vent, the dome has a gasket, so you keep a very moist environment. I have never had dry ribs or anything else since I got this grill.

- I use natural hardwood charcoal, not briquettes. I use only indirect heat, which is easy in my grill because it has a lower rack with removable ceramic plates between the fire and the meat. I cook at 225-250 degrees. I use a rib rack, so the ribs stand up, if for no other reason than to get more on the grill. I don't even consider opening the dome (and letting the moisture out) until I think the ribs are close to done.

- Another trick from the chef mentioned above - when the ribs are close to done, put the rack into a disposable aluminum pan with enough apple juice to cover the bottom of the pan. Cover very tightly with aluminum foil. Crank up the temp of the grill, and let the ribs steam for 10-15 minutes. I don't do this all the time, but it makes for very moist ribs. He suggests putting a light drizzle of honey on the ribs before you close them up to steam.

- I always prepare some with barbeque sauce and some without (so called "dry ribs") For the ones with sauce, I brush it on and throw them on the grill with the temp up to glaze the sauce. I try to apply a couple coats. Then, I serve with extra sauce.

I think there are lots of good ways. This works well for me and yields a taste I like and my family likes.

Patler
07-27-2009, 01:51 PM
I love to grill that way and will check Wally world here later to see if the chunks are available in AK. I have a big fire-pit and have cooked steaks right on the Birch coals before after seeing it done somewhere else. It turned out ok but hardwood works much better. I love to smoke and cook with Alder which I can harvest here but have also used mesquite and really enjoyed that as well. I love to cook shoulder the way you described............NOW ME HUNGRY!

Have you tried plank cooking? I have used lots of different wood species for planked fish, and it has worked very well. I have used Alder planks for salmon.

Patler
07-27-2009, 01:55 PM

This weekend I found hickory wood chunks (not chips) at Walmart. I have never seen them there before. These are wood, not charcoal, and are large chucks, not the small chips you can use in a smoke box or wrapped in foil (which I think or only minimally useful). The typical size of a chunk is about the size of a standard briquette (I personally use only hardwood charcoal chunks, not briquettes.) You can easily use these hickory chunks as your only fuel source if you want to.

If there was a way to do it, I would love to! I do enjoy cooking a lot.

Freak Out
07-27-2009, 02:10 PM

Have you tried plank cooking? I have used lots of different wood species for planked fish, and it has worked very well. I have used Alder planks for salmon.

I use cedar planks all the time. Love it...

MichiganPackerFan
07-27-2009, 02:22 PM
There's a lot of good stuff for ribs there. I have a large-surface propane grill, and I've had a lot of luck with hickory chips. Instead of the smoker box or packets, I put the soaked chips into a 25oz tomato can and get them going. They put a lot of smoke into the meat over a long course of time.

I also marinate in apple cider and lemon before letting them rest in the rub overnight. Spending the extra money on smoked paprika is totally worth it too. I probably open my grill to often as I try to mist them with apple cider every hour, and probably lose way too much heat.

The most important part is low and slow: 225-250 for hours.

Finish with a deep dark mop sauce (brown sugar, molasses, liquid smoke are the key parts of that).

Also, the next time I do a butt, I want to serve it on homemade rolls. I've been making my own bread for a while, but haven't tried the rolls yet. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make them light and fluffy? Any recommended ingredients?

Patler
07-27-2009, 02:24 PM

I use cedar planks all the time. Love it...

I have used cedar, too; and maple. Did the same types of fish with different planks to see if there was a difference. Subtle, but definitely a little different taste depending on the species. I couldn't come up with a favorite.

How do you use the planks? I have:

-soaked the planks in water
-soaked the planks in concoctions with onion, garlic and other spices added
-soaked the planks then charred one side very, very lightly before placing fish on the charred side for cooking.
-soaked the planks then wrapped the planks and fish in aluminum foil for cooking.

You can buy hardwood "foils" or papers that are so thin you can wrap them around the food. I have not tried those, much to expensive for a cheapskate like me!

SkinBasket
07-27-2009, 02:33 PM
There's a lot of good stuff for ribs there. I have a large-surface propane grill, and I've had a lot of luck with hickory chips. Instead of the smoker box or packets, I put the soaked chips into a 25oz tomato can and get them going. They put a lot of smoke into the meat over a long course of time.

I also marinate in apple cider and lemon before letting them rest in the rub overnight. Spending the extra money on smoked paprika is totally worth it too. I probably open my grill to often as I try to mist them with apple cider every hour, and probably lose way too much heat.

The most important part is low and slow: 225-250 for hours.

Finish with a deep dark mop sauce (brown sugar, molasses, liquid smoke are the key parts of that).

Also, the next time I do a butt, I want to serve it on homemade rolls. I've been making my own bread for a while, but haven't tried the rolls yet. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make them light and fluffy? Any recommended ingredients?

You and nutz would get along well. I'm more into the dry rub and keeping the moisture that's in the ribs in there while loosening the meat from the bones. We don't like chewing it off, we like it to fall into our mouths. Something seems unnatural to me about pouring apple cider over your meat several times.

I'll probably try steaming them at the end next time though per Patler's friend's suggestion.

MichiganPackerFan
07-27-2009, 02:38 PM
You and nutz would get along well. I'm more into the dry rub and keeping the moisture that's in the ribs in there while loosening the meat from the bones. We don't like chewing it off, we like it to fall into our mouths. Something seems unnatural to me about pouring apple cider over your meat several times.

I actually just use a spray bottle and lightly mist to keep the bark from drying out over a marathon grilling process! Particularly the tips that are closes to the heat source. I’d like to have the favor of the meat be predominant, but within limits, I believe apple compliments pork very well.

Patler
07-27-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm more into the dry rub and keeping the moisture that's in the ribs in there while loosening the meat from the bones. We don't like chewing it off, we like it to fall into our mouths. Something seems unnatural to me about pouring apple cider over your meat several times.

I'll probably try steaming them at the end next time though per Patler's friend's suggestion.

I'm like you, I like the meat to cook in its natural juices. I don't always do the steaming thing, but it really is an easy way to finish them off without risking them getting overdone or dry. It doesn't seem to change or "dilute" the flavor much, which I feared that it might. It seems to work particularly well when you have kind of poor ribs that are not really meaty. The ones that the thin meat areas tend to overcook before you get to the falling-off-the-bone stage with the rest of it. Steaming at the end seems to do the trick.

The important think is to keep the ribs in a rack or standing up so they steam. You don't want to immerse them and boil away the good flavor.

Patler
07-27-2009, 02:50 PM
I actually just use a spray bottle and lightly mist to keep the bark from drying out over a marathon grilling process! Particularly the tips that are closes to the heat source. I’d like to have the favor of the meat be predominant, but within limits, I believe apple compliments pork very well.

That's where my ceramic grill has been a god-send. The heavy ceramic dome sealed to the ceramic base retains a very humid cooking environment, and the bark you speak of never forms. Because ceramic reflects heat, the meat cooks from all sides, especially in a low and slow cooking session. When I finally open the grill for the first time, a huge cloud of wonderfully smelling steam escapes.

Deputy Nutz
07-27-2009, 02:59 PM
When Skin told me he cooks his ribs for like three hours I was amazed. I thought you only did that with a lot of smoke. Anyways, I am not a low and slow guy, unless you consider 300 degrees for 30 minutes low and slow. I might stretch it to 45 minutes. I like very lean cuts, low fat so without it, I don't want the ribs to dry. I hate sweet or sugary sauces or rubs. Tangy is about the closest I go to that. Although I do make a bad ass mother fucking rootbeer sauce, rootbeer flavor is there but only for an instance. than a shit load of fucking flavor and heat. I like to use vineagar instead of molasses.

Anyways, Patler you sound like you really know what you are fucking doing. I like to put the rub on, then sauce them.

I am a big fan of Famous Dave's, I should say I was a fan, until the manager and server pissed me off at the local Dave's. I am a fan how they do their ribs. I like the St Louis Spare myself. I will cook baby back ribs as well.

I want to try cooking bigger hunks of meat, but wife is not really a fan of pork. I think I might hate her because of that.

Back to the top, If some one told me that they cooked a steak for 3 hours I would punch them in the face, especially on a propane grill. I love propane, but only because I use the grill for 75% of all my cooking. I really don't even know how to use the oven for things like meat. I guess I don't get cooking a rib for 3 hours, unless of course you are smoking them more than actually grilling them. I like to pretend that I am a savage and rip the meat off the bone and have that bad ass mother fucking sauce run all over my hands and face. In fact I don't like the taste of ribs that have been cooked to the point that they fall off the bone, not my style. I am not saying that you should eat it like that, but my preference is what it is, I am not going to win any competitions, but I cook food for the way I like it.

Patler
07-27-2009, 03:48 PM
When Skin told me he cooks his ribs for like three hours I was amazed. I thought you only did that with a lot of smoke. Anyways, I am not a low and slow guy, unless you consider 300 degrees for 30 minutes low and slow. I might stretch it to 45 minutes. I like very lean cuts, low fat so without it, I don't want the ribs to dry. I hate sweet or sugary sauces or rubs. Tangy is about the closest I go to that. Although I do make a bad ass mother fucking rootbeer sauce, rootbeer flavor is there but only for an instance. than a shit load of fucking flavor and heat. I like to use vineagar instead of molasses.

Sometime when it is just me cooking for myself, I intend to try a slab of ribs indirect heat at 375 for about 30 minutes. I'm told it works very well in my type of grill. I'm just waiting so as not to force my experiment on others!

Anyways, Patler you sound like you really know what you are fucking doing. I like to put the rub on, then sauce them.
Decades and decades of trial an error, until I got serious about it.

I am a big fan of Famous Dave's, I should say I was a fan, until the manager and server pissed me off at the local Dave's. I am a fan how they do their ribs. I like the St Louis Spare myself. I will cook baby back ribs as well.
I hate famous Daves! (Just a person preference.) But, the BBQ place out near the airport in Madison (can't remember the name) is very good, but I think it is the sauce!

Back to the top, If some one told me that they cooked a steak for 3 hours I would punch them in the face, especially on a propane grill.
Steak - 1" thick, grill at 650 degrees or higher, 2 minutes or less on each side. Perfect medium rare.

I love propane, but only because I use the grill for 75% of all my cooking. I really don't even know how to use the oven for things like meat. I guess I don't get cooking a rib for 3 hours, unless of course you are smoking them more than actually grilling them.
At 225 degrees or so it is more smoking than grilling.

I am not going to win any competitions, but I cook food for the way I like it.
That is the only way to cook food, unless you job is to cook for others; in which case you cook food for the way they like. :lol:

Patler
07-27-2009, 03:50 PM
When Skin told me he cooks his ribs for like three hours I was amazed. I thought you only did that with a lot of smoke. Anyways, I am not a low and slow guy, unless you consider 300 degrees for 30 minutes low and slow. I might stretch it to 45 minutes.

Nutz;

Just curious, do you cook directly over the burner, or indirect with a drip pan or something between the burner and the ribs?

MichiganPackerFan
07-27-2009, 03:59 PM
When Skin told me he cooks his ribs for like three hours I was amazed. I thought you only did that with a lot of smoke. Anyways, I am not a low and slow guy, unless you consider 300 degrees for 30 minutes low and slow. I might stretch it to 45 minutes.

My last batch of ribs was on the grill for almost 11 hours! Lots of smoke and indirect heat! Probably can cut that down to 6-8 if I eliminate misting them every hour and leave the heat in.

I do like some bark on the ribs. As Guy Fieri would say, that's taking the train to flavor town! I just don't like the ends hard as a rock. I guess strategic placement of aluminum would slow down the end closest to the heat source.

Freak Out
07-27-2009, 05:23 PM
.....don't let your meat loaf.

@Patler.....I soak the cedar planks in water for an hour or so before use.

Deputy Nutz
07-27-2009, 06:16 PM

Nutz;

Just curious, do you cook directly over the burner, or indirect with a drip pan or something between the burner and the ribs?

Honestly I cook them like I would cook a really thick steak. I put them on direct heat for 7 to 8 minutes on the lowest rack, then I move them up to the second rack and then I bast them.

My dad always tries this indirect heat with his grill . It is funny because he either burns the shit out of it, or it never gets done.

I like crispy ribs. My mother taught me how to get the crisp without getting that horrible charred black mess on the bottom and on the edges.

One time, my friend invited me over for a BBQ. I saw a big pot boiling on the stove and a weird smell, I asked him, "those are the ribs." He says. I was like what the fuck are you doing? They are already dead no need to destroy them?

They were not very good. I also get a bit pissy when people boil brats as well, and I don't care if you boil them in beer you are not getting any of the beer flavor in them, and if you do, you just took away a shit load of the actual flavor of the brat. Bath them in a beer and onion mixture after you have cooked them!!!!

Deputy Nutz
07-27-2009, 06:18 PM
This is the best thread ever!

Anyways, I liked how Famous Dave's use to be before they expanded and ruined themselves to humanity.

MichiganPackerFan
07-27-2009, 06:25 PM
I also get a bit pissy when people boil brats as well, and I don't care if you boil them in beer you are not getting any of the beer flavor in them, and if you do, you just took away a shit load of the actual flavor of the brat. Bath them in a beer and onion mixture after you have cooked them!!!!

I am all for simmering the brats, that's where the cooking and flavoring takes place. After a good one to two hours of a good slow simmer, blaze them on a hot grill to texture the outside and seal in the flavor and then return them to the beer/onion/(trade secrets)/butter or oil mixture!

Damn I am hungry!

digitaldean
07-27-2009, 07:29 PM
I've used mesquite and applewood for smoking with some pretty decent results.

I'd like to try some ribs, but I'm the only one that'd eat them at my house. For the amt. of jack decent ribs cost, I'll have to stick with some cheaper cuts for now.

Best ribs I've ever had, Lambert's Cafe between Ozark and Branson, MO. St. Louis Style Ribs done to perrrrrrfection. I do like Famous Dave's also, but their brisket is what I like the most.

Ultimate BBQ goal, road trip to the Royal in KC, the Salt Lick in Driftwood, TX or Memphis in May.

Rastak
07-27-2009, 08:08 PM

If there was a way to do it, I would love to! I do enjoy cooking a lot.

I'd even leave my Viking stuff at home to sample some of that chow.

Brando19
07-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Soooooo funny this is a topic today! Today is my wife's birthday and my dad grilled out....he used hickory pieces and the taste of the burgers were amazing! Pretty crazy this is a topic today.

Patler
07-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Soooooo funny this is a topic today! Today is my wife's birthday and my dad grilled out....he used hickory pieces and the taste of the burgers were amazing! Pretty crazy this is a topic today.

Son, is that you? :lol: :lol:

Freak Out
07-28-2009, 01:18 AM

:) Brando....you better watch what you say from now on.

Brando19
07-28-2009, 08:19 PM

:lol:

I don't know...Patler...were you at Spring Break '83? :lol:

Patler
07-28-2009, 08:40 PM

Is that "18" or "19" ? ? :lol:

Brando19
07-28-2009, 09:22 PM

Is that "18" or "19" ? ? :lol:

Haha...that was a good one! :P

SnakeLH2006
07-29-2009, 03:13 AM
Dry rub or soak..either gets the meat ready.

Must pre-do something. Then cook on an open flame. That's the key. I suggest no matter what you cook, do some sliced potatoes with garlic and beer (yes beer preferably shitty beer) in a tin-foil wrap too. Goes good with anything grilled...Chicken, brats, burgers, steaks...etc. Gotta have some garlic-beer potatoes. Good stuff for ANY grillout.

Deputy Nutz
08-12-2009, 07:02 PM
So I felt a bit inferior due to this thread, so I decided to go ahead and try the low and slow method. I did a fucking great job cooking those ribs, only problem was that I hated them, now piss off.l

Patler
08-12-2009, 07:30 PM
I did a fucking great job cooking those ribs, l

...Apparently NOT! :lol:

GrnBay007
08-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Oh Grilling Wizards......

Tell me something about grilling salmon steaks! :D

Never done it and want to try. Are there any secrets?

:D

MichiganPackerFan
08-13-2009, 07:33 AM

I grill salmon quite often, but generally do fillets rather than steaks. One of my favorites was when my fiance brought home fillets and I had not prepared for them. Examined the cupboard and made a glaze of equal parts brown sugar, olive oil and natural maple syrup. Carmelized very nicely without overwhelming the salmon.

Patler
08-13-2009, 06:50 PM

I cook salmon a lot, grilied poached, backed and fried; "straight-up", marinated and planked.

The only "trick" i have learned relating to grilling any fish directly on the grates is a way to prevent sticking. Rub the grate with oil just before you put the fish on (nothing insightful there) but after it sits for just a few seconds and before it starts to stick, slide it back and forth parallel to the grates. If your grill is quite hot you may have to do this immediately as you put the fish on. This burnishes the grill marks before it sticks, and you can let it sit there to cook and it will not stick. Do the same thing when you flip it over. You can cook it nice and flaky but not have it fall apart from sticking.

I am becoming a real fan of cooking fish on planks.

Partial
08-13-2009, 07:20 PM
these posts are making me thirsty.

MichiganPackerFan
08-13-2009, 09:09 PM

I cook salmon a lot, grilied poached, backed and fried; "straight-up", marinated and planked.

The only "trick" i have learned relating to grilling any fish directly on the grates is a way to prevent sticking. Rub the grate with oil just before you put the fish on (nothing insightful there) but after it sits for just a few seconds and before it starts to stick, slide it back and forth parallel to the grates. If your grill is quite hot you may have to do this immediately as you put the fish on. This burnishes the grill marks before it sticks, and you can let it sit there to cook and it will not stick. Do the same thing when you flip it over. You can cook it nice and flaky but not have it fall apart from sticking.

I am becoming a real fan of cooking fish on planks.

To treat my grate, I keep a 1 cup wide mouth mason jar full of olive oil near my grill. I have a 1" think chunk of sponge that I keep in there. When I am ready to put the fish on, I use tongs to squeeze as much oil out of the sponge as possible and then sponge it onto the grate with the tongs. It gives me a really nice seasoned grate and I have not had any fish stick to it. It also helps to make some great (no pun) grill marks.

SnakeLH2006
08-13-2009, 11:58 PM
these posts are making me thirsty.

Damn, Partial, that's just nasty. We are talking about Salmon..not....oh well. :shock: :lol:

Personally, Snake grills alot. Plenty of salmon too...Unlike burgers, brats, chicken, etc....salmon is one thing you don't want to pre-soak/rub else you rob it of it's natural taste.

Generally, I use a simple salt/pepper/garlic blend sprinkled on the salmon (or at most a lemon-pepper herb with a touch of tobasco) then a simple spray of PAM or any spray oil, before applying it the grill. Fantastic. Sometimes simpler is better, esp. with seafood. Enjoy.

BTW, anyone have a good/simple way to prepare Smoked salmon? Haven't had that in years...Thanks.

MichiganPackerFan
08-15-2009, 08:01 AM
...Unlike burgers, brats, chicken, etc....salmon is one thing you don't want to pre-soak/rub else you rob it of it's natural taste.

Generally, I use a simple salt/pepper/garlic blend sprinkled on the salmon (or at most a lemon-pepper herb with a touch of tobasco)

Best way to do a quality steak is to go simple to. Sea Salt, Fresh ground black pepper. Hot grill. Done.

GrnBay007
08-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Wow! I'm so happy....I cooked these incredible ribs on the grill tonight!! :D Kids start school tomorrow and told them I would cook whatever they wanted for dinner tonight and they said they wanted me to make ribs on the grill. ...lil farts were fully aware my last attempt about a month ago failed horribly.

I started them out using this rub recipe I got from foodnetwork....Aaron (can't remember his last name) called Big Daddy's House. The rub is called Big Daddy's Rub (HA....sounds fun, eh? :P )

Shared some with the neighbor too....who came out to find out what smelled so good! lol

pasquale
08-24-2009, 10:35 PM
I have a bit of a late start to this thread, but I figured I'd throw in my two cents:

Ribs - dry rub overnight in the fridge and never apply BBQ or glaze until they are almost done, otherwise they will burn.

Low and slow on indirect heat is the key for sure. Some people like to describe their ribs as "fall off the bone." This means your ribs are OVERCOOKED and is usually achieved by too high of direct heat. You still want some resistance left from the collagen connecting the flesh and the bone. This starts melting at 160 and stops at about 180. The slower that temperature increase happens, to more juicy and flavorful the ribs will be, and it's all thanks to perfectly broken down fat. Never trim any fat off the ribs beforehand. Most of it cooks away and helps with the process and gives you great ribs.

Cooking over too high of heat causes your ribs to dry out. 225 degrees F is about as high as you ever want to go. Any more than this and too much evaporation occurs...any lower and well, it'll just take way longer. One easy way to combat this is to put a foil pan of water on or under the grill rack. No, you will not be steaming the ribs if you keep the heat >225, but what little water vapor there will be in the air, will stick to the ribs, preventing the meat from pulling out moisture from the inside.

Next to that pan of water, make a foil pouch of the hardwood chips. Another aspect of great ribs is the smoke ring - to much of my surprise over the years, people know nothing about. It'll look like a reverse seared piece of meat, with pink on the outside, and they cooked whiteish grey in the middle. You can only achieve this by having smoke present, and no, you don't have to have visible smoke to achieve this.

Once your meat is cooked to about 170, then you can apply a glaze (if desired - this will give you a good "bark" - the crispy outside) and crank it up to high direct heat for about 10 mins.

Never boil ribs before hand. This does save on time, but a perfectly better alternative is to braise them in the oven and save the juices for a glaze.

This is from my personal experience, and I don't think my methods are better than anyone elses, I just like my ribs more than most peoples 8-)

Salmon - one trick I've picked up is to put it skin side down on a paper bag and cut around it to make a perfect fit. Make sure the skin is a little wet before you do this. Then grill it, paper bag side down. The bag and the skin basically become one, and when you are done, you just peel both off completely.

MichiganPackerFan
09-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Does everyone have their grilling plans made for sunday?

I'm keeping it simple. Brats that I have in the freezer from the last time I was in wisconsin on homemade bread. Possibly a side of german potato salad.

MJZiggy
09-09-2009, 05:56 PM
London broil.

SnakeLH2006
09-11-2009, 01:52 AM

Possibly a side of german potato salad.

Already on lock. Snake made 3 lbs. of that yesterday. Brats are already simmering in honey-glazed onions and beer. Burgers were dry-rubbed with pepper-corn and cayenne. Where's Billy May's for the intro? :D :roll: :cry: :cry:

MichiganPackerFan
09-11-2009, 07:32 AM

Possibly a side of german potato salad.

Already on lock. Snake made 3 lbs. of that yesterday. Brats are already simmering in honey-glazed onions and beer. Burgers were dry-rubbed with pepper-corn and cayenne. Where's Billy May's for the intro? :D :roll: :cry: :cry:

I just started making the german potato salad just recently. Had pretty good results so far. Guess it's pretty hard to mess up redskins & bacon grease! Have a good recipe?

SnakeLH2006
09-11-2009, 03:09 PM
I just started making the german potato salad just recently. Have a good recipe?

1 1/2 to 2 lbs. bacon
3 1/2 lbs. potatoes, boiled & peeled
1 1/2 c. chopped onions
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. water
1/4 c. cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 c. light cream

In a large skillet cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings, crumble bacon. In a large bowl toss bacon with potatoes and onions. In the drippings combine flour and sugar. Combine water, vinegar and salt and pepper. Stir in skillet, cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in cream. Pour over potato mixture, toss gently to coat. Serve warm.

MichiganPackerFan
01-25-2010, 12:49 PM
I loved this thread, so I am bumping it.

I've never done any type of chicken wings. I would like to do some baked (possibly grilled) for the Superbowl (don't want to mess with deep frying for 1) the cleanup and 2) my health)

Any thoughts on this? What about a good deep, dark but not too sweet barbeque sauce?