PDA

View Full Version : NFC North High Picks

Rastak
07-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Damn, as Waldo pointed out in another thread, it seems the 1st round guys are really signing at a slow pace this year. Here's an interesting take by PFT.com.

A league source tells us that the attempt by agent Eugene Parker to bust the slotting system for receiver Michael Crabtree, the tenth overall pick in the draft, is contributing to the sssslow pace of contracts at the top of the draft.

Per the source, other agents are watching and waiting the Crabtree negotiations, curious as to whether Parker busts the formula. (Mike Klis of the Denver Post made a similar observation earlier today.)

The reason is simple. If Crabtree gets more than what he's supposed to get at No. 10, then other players will try to get even more, based on the contract Crabtree actually gets at No. 10.

And this gets back to the reality that CAA and Athletes First represent, between them, 14 of 32 first-round picks. Success by Crabtree would have a magnified impact for these two mega-agencies.

And so those two mega-agencies could be inclined to hold their guys out until Crabtree signs.

The only problem? As we hear it, the Niners won't flinch on this one.

Then again, it's hard to believe much of anything that we hear when it comes to first-round contracts.

What the hell is the deal with Parker? His guy didn't get picked top 3 so tough shitski. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

pbmax
07-27-2009, 06:14 PM
Parker is not afraid to hold his guys out of camp, he has a history of this. I am sure that is part of his selling point for a recruit. He is playing the leverage he believes he holds because of the breathless asessments of Crabtree's physical ability. He will argue that the injury is no longer a concern.

And don't believe all the hype at PFT that this never works. It has (not a good percentage, but its not unheard of). Better odds for QBs but Braylon Edwards busted the slotting system with the Browns and caused headaches for years with the number 3 pick.

Rastak
07-27-2009, 06:17 PM
Parker is not afraid to hold his guys out of camp, he has a history of this. I am sure that is part of his selling point for a recruit. He is playing the leverage he believes he holds because of the breathless asessments of Crabtree's physical ability. He will argue that the injury is no longer a concern.

And don't believe all the hype at PFT that this never works. It has (not a good percentage, but its not unheard of). Better odds for QBs but Braylon Edwards busted the slotting system with the Browns and caused headaches for years with the number 3 pick.

Yea, it sure does work on occassion. I know when McKinnie held out for the Vikes, he sat out for several weeks into the season and he got his cash....just what they were trying to get from the start.

edit: Changed the title. The Lions also have a pretty important pick which is unsigned with Delmas.

Rastak
07-27-2009, 07:31 PM
Nice list of 1st round picks and their agents and status from PFT.com

Signing status of 2009 first-round picks

Posted by Mike Florio on July 27, 2009 7:42 PM ET
Here's a real-time look at the status of the first-round picks in the 2009 draft, including the name(s) of their agents.

1. Lions: QB Matthew Stafford (Tom Condon/Ben Dogra); signed April 25.

2. Rams: OT Jason Smith (Ben Dogra/Michael Lartigue); unsigned.

3. Chiefs: DE Tyson Jackon (Eugene Parker); unsigned.

4. Seahawks: LB Aaron Curry (Andy Ross/Mike Sullivan); unsigned.

5. Jets: QB Mark Sanchez (David Dunn/Andrew Kessler); signed June 11.

6. Bengals: OT Andre Smith (Alvin Keels); unsigned.

7. Raiders: WR Darrius Heyward-Bey (Tom Condon/Ben Dogra); unsigned.

8. Jaguars: OT Eugene Monroe (Sanat Shah); unsigned.

9. Packers: DL B.J. Raji (David Dunn/Mark Humenik/Joby Branion/Justin Schulman); unsigned.

10. 49ers: WR Michael Crabtree (Eugene Parker); unsigned.

11. Bills: DE Aaron Maybin (Joel Segal/Chafie Fields); unsigned.

12. Broncos: RB Knowshon Moreno (Tom Condon/Ben Dogra); unsigned.

13. Redskins: LB Brian Orakpo (Ben Dogra/Michael Lartigue); unsigned.

14. Saints: CB Malcolm Jenkins (Ben Dogra/Tom Condon); unsigned.

15. Texans: LB Brian Cushing (Tom Condon/Ben Dogra); unsigned.

16. Chargers: LB/DE Larry English (Todd France); unsigned.

17. Buccaneers: QB Josh Freeman (Ken Kremer/Ron Freeman); unsigned.

18. Broncos: DE Robert Ayers (Tony Agnone/Edward Johnson/Richard Rosa/Noel LaMontagne); unsigned.

19. Eagles: WR Jeremy Maclin (Ben Dogra/Jim Steiner); unsigned.

20. Lions: TE Brandon Pettigrew (Sean Howard); unsigned.

21. Browns: C Alex Mack (Tim Younger/Marvin Demoff); signed July 25.

22. Vikings: WR Percy Harvin (Joel Segal); unsigned.

23. Ravens: OT Michael Oher (Jimmy Sexton); unsigned.

24. Falcons: DT Peria Jerry (Bus Cook); unsigned.

25. Dolphins: CB Vontae Davis (Todd France); unsigned.

26. Packers: LB Clay Matthews (David Dunn/Mark Humenik/Joby Branion/Justin Schulman); unsigned.

27. Colts: RB Donald Brown (David Dunn/Mark Humenik/Joby Branion/Justin Schulman); unsigned.

28. Bills: C Eric Wood (David Dunn/Mark Humenik/Joby Branion/Justin Schulman); unsigned.

29. Giants: WR Hakeem Nicks (Peter Schaffer); unsigned.

30. Titans: WR Kenny Britt (Todd France); unsigned.

31. Cardinals: RB Chris Wells (Adam Heller/Brian Kopp); unsigned.

32. Steelers: DL Evander "Ziggy" Hood (Andy Ross/Mike Sullivan); signed July 25.

pbmax
07-27-2009, 07:47 PM

Yea, it sure does work on occassion. I know when McKinnie held out for the Vikes, he sat out for several weeks into the season and he got his cash....just what they were trying to get from the start.

edit: Changed the title. The Lions also have a pretty important pick which is unsigned with Delmas.

Good example. And I think it set McKinnie back a ways, did it not? I am sure teams have stats on how behind a players at certain positions can get, and how much money that could cost them on the second contract. I wounder if it is worth the risk of holding out?

Brady Quinn was absent for a good section of camp and is still trying to land the starters gig with the Browns.

Rastak
07-27-2009, 07:57 PM
I think it set him back for sure PB.

Is it worth it? As a general statement I would say not in the short term. Depends on the position of the player and the difference in financial terms. That's a lame "no answer" but it really depends. In some respects I would think not. Hit the ground running, get that second, hugely lucritive contract.

Rastak
07-28-2009, 09:11 PM
Favre drama now subsiding, still no deals on the NFC North's top picks.

Word is the Vikings are close on RT prospect and 2nd round pick Phil Loadholt. Nor word on Delmas or the Packers 2 picks.

Lurker64
07-28-2009, 10:53 PM
With Mack and Hood done (and Wood close), Harvin, Matthews, and Pettigrew (among other picks in the 20s) shouldn't be too far off.

Raji worries me. There's probably going to be a significant number of holdouts lasting long into several teams' camps (Maybin and Crabtree particularly), that we may not get the big man for a week or so.

pbmax
07-28-2009, 11:49 PM
Yes, the second round has been falling like dominoes. The end of the 1st round won't be far behind.

SnakeLH2006
07-29-2009, 01:33 AM
Yeah...it happens in dominoes....as most years past echo the same with 1st rounders...So what is the estimation of Raji's and Matthew's contracts? Anyone have some insight on what to expect, as this is damn interesting.

Rastak
07-30-2009, 06:02 PM
Looks like Harvin, Pettigrew and Raji are left. Not sure what the Harvin holdup is since both guys around him are signed.

Lurker64
07-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Looks like Harvin, Pettigrew and Raji are left. Not sure what the Harvin holdup is since both guys around him are signed.

Maybe agents this year are trying to see if they can establish a "position premium for wide receivers"? With the ridiculous deal that DHB got (20% more than the guy in the same slot from the year before), and with Crabtree's agent holding him out for top 5 money, and with the Eagles and Maclin being far, far, far apart in terms of compensation, there might just be a problem signing WRs this year.

Rastak
07-30-2009, 07:38 PM

Maybe agents this year are trying to see if they can establish a "position premium for wide receivers"? With the ridiculous deal that DHB got (20% more than the guy in the same slot from the year before), and with Crabtree's agent holding him out for top 5 money, and with the Eagles and Maclin being far, far, far apart in terms of compensation, there might just be a problem signing WRs this year.

That and "if not for his failed drug test he would have been top 10" type of argument agents like to make. Wideouts have enough trouble as rookies. The dude should take his slot and get to camp. That kind of goes for Raji too. The guys around him are getting a big increase, unless the Pack plays hardball, if it's ballpark then take it and start working on the second, bigger money contract.

Lurker64
07-30-2009, 08:27 PM
That and "if not for his failed drug test he would have been top 10" type of argument agents like to make.

Yeah, that argument definitely doesn't make a lot of sense.

"If my client wasn't suck a knucklehead, he would be entitled to more money!"

"Is your client a knucklehead?"

"Yes, but..."

"Then why should he be entitled to more money?"

I mean, you don't get paid for your talent. Your talent gets you drafted, and where you get drafted determines what you get paid. Your talent helps determine your performance, which gets you paid by way of incentives and your second and subsequent contracts.

It's not like everybody in the first round isn't about to get handed enough money to retire on.

Lurker64
08-01-2009, 02:48 AM
Thinking more about this, I think that Harvin's agent could be up to something sinister since the contract for Harvin should be very simple at this point.

Minnesota was a team that needed help selling out some of their games last year. There was a lot of optimism invested by a lot of Vikings fans in the potential for signing a certain HoF quarterback. When said QB decided to remain retired, it was sort of a downer in Vikingland. So in order to sell tickets and jerseys, the Vikings could really use some sort of exciting good news (more than usual), so Harvin has a lot of value there.

Not only that, but the head coach of the Vikings is on a seat that, if it's not hot it is warming considerably, and the OTAs have certainly revealed that the Vikings have big plans for Harvin this year, and are relying on his contributions to add excitement to an offense that, were it not for their superstar RB, would be a lot less "kick ass" than originally advertised. The more reps Harvin misses in TC, the less they're able to do with him during the season.

So by not signing for the predictably simple contract that his slot would imply (less than the guy ahead of him, more than the guy behind him), Harvin is in a good position to play the "top 10 talent" card and wait for the front office and/or the head coach to become desperate enough to give him a sizeable raise over what he ought to receive.

Now I'm not saying this is necessarily Harvin's modus operandi, but there are many things about the kid that seem to imply that he has priorities that are somewhat unusual and may not entirely align along a "team-first" axis.

I idly wonder if the fact that the majority of the first round is holding out at this point will motivate both the owners and the NFLPA at the upcoming CBA talks, as the current system really gives the agents potentially too much power, and the agents are represented by neither the NFLPA nor the NFL, and so it may well be in the interest of both negotiating parties to make it simpler and less contentious to sign draft picks.

Rastak
08-01-2009, 07:49 AM
The scenario you lay out Lurker, is exactly what I am starting to suspect.

Rastak
08-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Per PFT.com, Harvin is now signed to a 5 year deal. That's leaves Raji as the final North draft pick that is unsigned.

Fritz
08-03-2009, 05:51 PM
It's hard to buy that whole "Crabtree shoulda been a top five pick so he should be paid like one."

Maybe Parker can get one of the teams that picked in the top five to kick in the cash difference, as it's clearly their fault they didn't pick Crabtree when he was supposed to be picked.

Bretsky
08-03-2009, 07:13 PM
It's hard to buy that whole "Crabtree shoulda been a top five pick so he should be paid like one."

Maybe Parker can get one of the teams that picked in the top five to kick in the cash difference, as it's clearly their fault they didn't pick Crabtree when he was supposed to be picked.

and to think we could've had a toP 5 pick :lol:

Fritz
08-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Ah, Bretsky. When it comes to men you are extremely loyal to only one at a time, but when it comes to women, you are willing to love two or more simultaneously... :)

Merlin
08-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Mathews is unsigned? Same agent as Raj it appears, is there a coincidence with this?

Patler
08-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Per PFT.com, Harvin is now signed to a 5 year deal. That's leaves Raji as the final North draft pick that is unsigned.

Did you see that Harvin's contract was rejected by the league? Apparently some irregularities in payment procedures. Harvin can keep practicing, but they have just a couple days to get it right. If they don't work it out in the allotted time, he has to leave.

HarveyWallbangers
08-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Mathews is unsigned?

no

pbmax
08-05-2009, 02:30 PM

Did you see that Harvin's contract was rejected by the league? Apparently some irregularities in payment procedures. Harvin can keep practicing, but they have just a couple days to get it right. If they don't work it out in the allotted time, he has to leave.
PFT now has the contract approved. The Pioneer Press/Seth Jensen reported its fixed.

MadScientist
08-05-2009, 03:37 PM

PFT now has the contract approved. The Pioneer Press/Seth Jensen reported its fixed.

Have they given details as to why it was rejected? It would be interesting to know what could trigger the rejection.

They should have rejected Oakland's first rounder's contract for being too high and screwing up the slotting too much.

Rastak
08-05-2009, 04:48 PM

Have they given details as to why it was rejected? It would be interesting to know what could trigger the rejection.

They should have rejected Oakland's first rounder's contract for being too high and screwing up the slotting too much.

I haven't heard but usually it's how a particular clause is worded. The lawyers rewrite to clean up the language and all is well.

pbmax
08-05-2009, 05:31 PM
National Football Post (Brandt's Wed article) said there was a miscalculation about how much cap space was left in the rookie pool. They took the overage in this year's bonus and moved it to an easily met incentive in a later year.

Fritz
08-05-2009, 10:09 PM
I'm hoping there will be a breakthrough at the #8 pick or something, so Raji can get in.

I hope he's not eating too many doritos in the meantime.

Rastak
08-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Wow, now Parker is hinting that Crabtree might just sit out the year and re-enter the draft.....with all that money on the table, I find it hard to believe that's the route the player would take....

Lurker64
08-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Especially given that Crabtree has a bit of a reputation as a "diva WR", demonstrably being willing to sit out the entire year in order to get what he wants has to hurt his draft status, right?

sharpe1027
08-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Especially given that Crabtree has a bit of a reputation as a "diva WR", demonstrably being willing to sit out the entire year in order to get what he wants has to hurt his draft status, right?

LOL, what does he do next year with the Raiders pass on him again and he is back in the exact same situation, just at an even lower spot in the draft order? Does he sit out another year and re-enter the draft a third time?

denverYooper
08-06-2009, 11:45 AM
So what happens wrt the 49ers in that case? Are they just screwed out of their pick?

sharpe1027
08-06-2009, 11:57 AM
So what happens wrt the 49ers in that case? Are they just screwed out of their pick?

I think so, but google didn't confirm it for me during my 30 second search effort.

Fritz
08-06-2009, 11:59 AM

LOL, what does he do next year with the Raiders pass on him again and he is back in the exact same situation, just at an even lower spot in the draft order? Does he sit out another year and re-enter the draft a third time?

Hee is where you are mistaken, Sharpe. If Crabtree sits out an entire year and re-enters, he will become true "Raiders People" and Al will surely draft him.

Partial
08-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Supposedly Raji tweeted "I'm ready when they are" yesterday. Don't have a link, does anyone have one? This is a second hand account.

According to Bedard, he has heard that the Packers are being very frugal and are holding up the negotiations. They're trying to penny pinch here. He evidently has sources within the organization.

Lurker64
08-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Bedard, attribute something that casts the Packers in a negative light from an untraceable and unnamed source? Never!

ThunderDan
08-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Supposedly Raji tweeted "I'm ready when they are" yesterday. Don't have a link, does anyone have one? This is a second hand account.

According to Bedard, he has heard that the Packers are being very frugal and are holding up the negotiations. They're trying to penny pinch here. He evidently has sources within the organization.

Where is that coming from?

I can't believe the Packers would say well we're $250,000 apart but we won't move.

I'm guessing with no contract signed around pick 9 the sides might be $2,000,000 apart, that isn't pennies.

Partial
08-06-2009, 11:03 PM

I can't believe the Packers would say well we're $250,000 apart but we won't move.

I'm guessing with no contract signed around pick 9 the sides might be $2,000,000 apart, that isn't pennies.

This was from Bedard in an interview on WSSP. Evidently Raji tweeted the first part himself.

I have no idea what the situation is, but didn't they refuse to pay a punter like an extra 250k over two years this summer? One of the better punters in the league at that? This is what they said on WSSP. I have no idea if its valid or not.

ThunderDan
08-07-2009, 11:58 AM

This was from Bedard in an interview on WSSP. Evidently Raji tweeted the first part himself.

I have no idea what the situation is, but didn't they refuse to pay a punter like an extra 250k over two years this summer? One of the better punters in the league at that? This is what they said on WSSP. I have no idea if its valid or not.

There is a little difference between a punter and your first round draft pick. I'll go check out WSSP. Thank you.

SkinBasket
08-07-2009, 12:38 PM

And for anyone who thinks the organization is pinching "pennies," why not also find fault in the player for trying to grab those same "pennies." If it's such an insubstantial amount of money, then why hold out over it?

denverYooper
08-07-2009, 12:59 PM
And for anyone who thinks the organization is pinching "pennies," why not also find fault in the player for trying to grab those same "pennies." If it's such an insubstantial amount of money, then why hold out over it?

Because there's no "I" in team, but there several in "Cha-chiiiing!"

ThunderDan
08-07-2009, 03:33 PM

Because there's no "I" in team, but there several in "Cha-chiiiing!"

You can find ME in team if you look real hard.

MichiganPackerFan
08-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Reporter: "There's no 'I' in "Team"

Leon: "There ain't no 'we' either"

http://theinsanityreport.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/leon.gif