PDA

View Full Version : MST Reports: Favre to stay retired

GBRulz
07-28-2009, 04:21 PM
The Minneapolis Star-Tribune is reporting that Brett Favre plans to stay retired.

Here's what they have posted on their site:

(Star-Trib reporter) Judd (Zulgad) just received a phone call from Brad Childress who said he talked to Brett Favre and that he was informed that Favre is staying retired. Childress cited the daily grind both mentally and physically as part of the reason why Favre remained retired.

“I just think it was a rare opportunity to explore a Hall of Fame quarterback who had background in the NFC and in this division,” Childress said. “He knows our system inside out … This doesn’t change anything about how I feel about our football team.”

-- Rob Demovsky, rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

pack4to84
07-28-2009, 04:23 PM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/51926357.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD 3aPc:_Yyc:aU1yDEmP:QMDCinchO7DU
Wow BF played with the hearts of both Packer fans and Viking fans. Way to go BF stick it to those Viking faithful.

Deputy Nutz
07-28-2009, 04:26 PM
I guess that means I have to root for the Packers again. This blows.

pbmax
07-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Well, that would have been a lot of money lost on this bet. I hope this is actually the case and not a false lead.

Bossman641
07-28-2009, 04:29 PM
I don't know whether to be excited or wait for the conflicting report to come out soon.

Could he possibly be buying more time for himself? And then try to come back a few weeks in to TC. If true, this leaves the Vikings in a very awkward spot with Sage and TJ.

Jimx29
07-28-2009, 04:31 PM
TT will sign him :|

Brando19
07-28-2009, 04:34 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been so pissed about Brett wanting to be a Viking....now I can love him again. Good decision, Brett....take the retirement money from the Packers and make commercials!

SkinBasket
07-28-2009, 04:34 PM
I guess I wish I cared more. But I don't.

Who am I kidding? I don't even care that I don't care. How about a poem to mark this momentous moment:

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay, (eh?! EH!?)

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

http://nbcsportsmedia2.msnbc.com/j/NBCSports/Sections/_Daily%20Stories/090103brett_favre_h1000.h2.jpg

Patler
07-28-2009, 04:38 PM
Good decision, Brett....take the retirement money from the Packers and make commercials!

I wonder if that retirement offer is still on the table. I doubt it. Murphy implied at one time this summer that the team and Favre probably need a little separation time before the relationship will heal.

pack4to84
07-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Good decision, Brett....take the retirement money from the Packers and make commercials!

I wonder if that retirement offer is still on the table. I doubt it. Murphy implied at one time this summer that the team and Favre probably need a little separation time before the relationship will heal.healing time is over BF don't want to put on those nasty purple jerseys. I feel better already. :taunt:

Packnut
07-28-2009, 04:42 PM
This was the plan all along. Now the Vikes are in complete confusion with splintered groups all over the place.

Once again Favre sticks it to the Queens! The NFC North is once again a two team race with us and Da Bears. :lol: :lol:

Cheesehead Craig
07-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Well, I'm happy he stayed retired.

Now the Vikes can pursue their real QBOTF, Mike Vick.

MadScientist
07-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Meh. It's the 28th, and he said he would let them know by the 30th. That's enough time for 5 more firm changes of heart.

At least if it is true, Sage and TJack know they have a firm vote of no confidence from the organization.

ThunderDan
07-28-2009, 04:45 PM
I'll believe it more when Brett holds a presser and says so.

Wait a minute...... :oops:

I'll wait until Bus Cook says it.

I'll believe it when training camp is over and the season starts and Brett hasn't signed a contract.

CaptainKickass
07-28-2009, 04:52 PM
When Favre says it himself - I'll believe it.

AtlPackFan
07-28-2009, 04:53 PM
I don't know whether to be excited or wait for the conflicting report to come out soon.

Could he possibly be buying more time for himself? And then try to come back a few weeks in to TC. If true, this leaves the Vikings in a very awkward spot with Sage and TJ.

I'll wait for the conflicting report.

AtlPackFan
07-28-2009, 04:54 PM
I'll believe it more when Brett holds a presser and says so.

I'll wait until Bus Cook says it.

I'll believe it when training camp is over and the season starts and Brett hasn't signed a contract.
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Freak Out
07-28-2009, 04:55 PM
So it's down to TJ and Rosencrapper.....tough day for Viking fans. :)

AtlPackFan
07-28-2009, 04:57 PM
It's on ESPN's website now so it must be true, right?! :wink:

Kiwon
07-28-2009, 04:58 PM
SO.....the next question......

Do you think that Farve will show his face in Green Bay during the upcoming season?

Cheesehead Craig
07-28-2009, 04:59 PM
I think you mean Rosencopter..

http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/image_pictures/0100/2897/sage_rosenfels_helicopter_feature.jpg

AtlPackFan
07-28-2009, 05:00 PM

Do you think that Favre will show his face in Green Bay during the upcoming season?

My guess would be no...unless he changes his mind again and its in a Viking's uni. :wink:

Scott Campbell
07-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Good. Now I can always remember him as a Jet.

Patler
07-28-2009, 05:06 PM

Do you think that Favre will show his face in Green Bay during the upcoming season?

and the question after that is:

If Rodgers were to get hurt, should the Packers........ :lol:

Freak Out
07-28-2009, 05:06 PM
I think you mean Rosencopter..

http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/image_pictures/0100/2897/sage_rosenfels_helicopter_feature.jpg

Didn't he fumble on that play? :lol: He did get airborne!

GBRulz
07-28-2009, 05:11 PM
and the question after that is:

If Rodgers were to get hurt, should the Packers........ :lol:

Don't EVEN go there, Mr. Patler !!

PlantPage55
07-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Running. Naked. in. the. Streets.

hurleyfan
07-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Also the Lead on Sports Center...

Scott Campbell
07-28-2009, 05:16 PM
Is it me, or does the universe suddenly seem more aligned?

hurleyfan
07-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Is it me, or does the universe suddenly seem more aligned?

Must be you :lol:

]{ilr]3
07-28-2009, 05:18 PM
Its on NFL.COM's front page now too.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81184f22&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I think I am actually starting to believe this......

Fosco33
07-28-2009, 05:18 PM
As my son was born a few weeks ago - I sorted accepted that Favre would play (and he'd be alive to see it). But with this news, I'm just happy that he's made a decision and that he can hopefully stick with it!

Now... the only thing on my mind - would Favre come back to GB midseason if worst came to worst...

Scott Campbell
07-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Maybe the reality of having to put that filthy purple uniform on finally sank in.

At least he didn't string them along all summer. :lol:

Patler
07-28-2009, 05:23 PM
I wonder if he feels that all the hassle over the last 14 months or so has been worth it, or if he wishes he would have stayed retired last year? I know he said he was glad for the opportunity in NY, etc. etc.; but I wonder how he really feels?

Maybe he is just kicking himself for ever retiring in the first place.

packinpatland
07-28-2009, 05:36 PM
All said and done, let's not forget the good times.........and there were many.

Updated: July 28, 2009, 6:13 PM ET
Favre's top 10 career momentsComment Email Print Share ESPN Research

1. Super Bowl XXXI
Date: Jan. 26, 1997
Score: Packers 35, Patriots 21
Why it mattered: Favre passed for two touchdowns (54, 81 yards) -- including one on the second play of the game -- and ran for another in the Packers' first Super Bowl in 29 years.
Morry Gash/AP Photo
Favre's memorable career included more wins, completions and consecutive starts than any player in history.

2. Playing for his father
Date: Dec. 22, 2003
Score: Packers 41, Raiders 7
Why it mattered: Just one day after the sudden death of his father, Irv, Favre passed for 399 yards and four touchdowns on "Monday Night Football" in a blowout win.

3. The legend begins
Date: Sept. 20, 1992
Score: Packers 24, Bengals 23
Why it mattered: Favre joined Green Bay prior to the season and played in mop-up duty the week before as the Pack fell to 0-2. This day, he came off the bench to replace an injured Don Majkowski and threw the game-winning TD pass to Kitrick Taylor with 13 seconds remaining.

4. Record breaking
Date: Sept. 30, 2007
Score: Packers 23, Vikings 16
Why it mattered: In his former house of horrors (the Metrodome), Favre throws a pair of touchdown passes -- his first being the 421st of his career, making him the NFL's all-time leader in that category.

5. Playoff bound
Date: Dec. 18, 1994
Score: Packers 21, Falcons 17
Why it mattered: Favre orchestrated a final drive, capped off when he ran for the game-winning touchdown with 14 seconds left against the Falcons to keep the Packers' playoff hopes alive. Green Bay ended up making the playoffs for the second straight season.

6. NFC Wild Card
Date: Jan. 8, 1994
Score: Packers 28, Lions 24
Why it mattered: Trailing 24-21 in Detroit, Favre threw a 40-yard touchdown pass to Sterling Sharpe with 55 seconds left for the Packers' first playoff win in 11 years.

7. Tying Marino
Date: Sept. 23, 2007
Score: Packers 31, Chargers 24
Why it mattered: With the Packers trailing by four points late in the fourth quarter, Favre throws a 57-yard TD pass to Greg Jennings for the go-ahead score. It was the 420th touchdown pass in Favre's career, tying Dan Marino for the all-time record.

8. Medical marvel
Date: Dec. 24, 1995
Score: Packers 24, Steelers 19
Why it mattered: In a game the Packers needed to win to win the NFC Central, Favre, the victim of a crushing hit, came back after coughing up blood to throw a touchdown pass to tight end Mark Chmura.

9. MVP-bound
Date: Nov. 12, 1995
Score: Packers 35, Bears 28
Why it mattered: Favre returns just one week after severely spraining his ankle to toss for 336 yards and a career-high five touchdown passes. He would go on to win his first MVP that season.

10. MNF miracle
Date: Sept. 11, 1995
Score: Packers 27, Bears 24
Why it mattered: Favre tied an NFL record with a 99-yard touchdown pass to Robert Brooks in the second quarter on "Monday Night Football" -- and finished the game with 312 pass yards and three touchdowns.

Honorable mention
NFL.com Video

Highlights of the best moments from Brett Favre in 2008.
• Sept. 28, 2008: Jets 56, Cardinals 35. Favre set a single-game career high -- and tied Joe Namath's Jets' mark -- with six touchdown passes, including three to Laveranues Coles. In Week 4, the Jets routed the eventual NFC champions.

• Oct. 10, 1999: Packers 26, Buccaneers 23. Favre led his third fourth-quarter comeback in the first four games of the season against the Bucs on his 30th birthday (Favre also led late game-winning drives against the Raiders and Vikings in Weeks 1 and 2).

• Nov. 29, 2004: Packers 45, Rams 17. In his 200th consecutive regular-season start, Favre threw for three touchdowns on 18-of-27 passing for 215 yards against the Rams on "Monday Night Football."

Bretsky
07-28-2009, 05:43 PM
not even Patler predicted this one :!:

KYPack
07-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Was walkin' the dogs in the woods.

A guy came out of nowhere and said "Did you hear Brett Favre Retired?"

Is it true?

er What?

Rastak
07-28-2009, 06:20 PM
I was warming to the idea but had some reservations so this news is sort of a disappointment because of the great storylines and at the same time not disappointing since having a 40 yo qb can kill you more likely than help you.

Anyway, from the Ed Werder interview he told Bevell last week he didn't think he'd play due to knee and ankle pain after workouts. Bevell convinced him to think it over. If he's breaking down he make the absolute right choice.

Reggie 92
07-28-2009, 06:29 PM
Brett's legacy is somewhat damaged IMO. I will remember him as a true warrior, tough as nails, gunslinger, a winner... but also as a truly revengeful and bitter player at the end of his career who made little effort to fit in with his teammates and nearly played for the hated Queens. Ahh fuck it, I still love him and wish him a long, healthy and happy post football life.

The Shadow
07-28-2009, 06:36 PM
Still not convinced.
I will believe it when I DON'T see it.

Scott Campbell
07-28-2009, 06:39 PM
I wish I had short sold some Nov. 1 tickets.

Rastak
07-28-2009, 06:40 PM
I wish I had short sold some Nov. 1 tickets.

No shit.

hurleyfan
07-28-2009, 06:43 PM

"

Nice job PIP!

Is there a list of "not so good times?"

Rastak
07-28-2009, 06:46 PM

"

Nice job PIP!

Oh, those are all forgotten when the playing days end.

hurleyfan
07-28-2009, 06:54 PM

"

Nice job PIP!

Oh, those are all forgotten when the playing days end.

For the most part Ras!

There are some that still hurt tho! Take the good with the bad right!

HarveyWallbangers
07-28-2009, 06:56 PM
I was warming to the idea but had some reservations so this news is sort of a disappointment because of the great storylines and at the same time not disappointing since having a 40 yo qb can kill you more likely than help you.

Anyway, from the Ed Werder interview he told Bevell last week he didn't think he'd play due to knee and ankle pain after workouts. Bevell convinced him to think it over. If he's breaking down he make the absolute right choice.

The radio show I was listening to here in the Twin Cities made it sound like physically he was fine now. He just didn't know if he could handle 16 weeks of football, mentally and physically. If that's the case, he should stay retired.

Freak Out
07-28-2009, 07:06 PM
If you are doubting yourself as much as he appeared to be he definitely made the right decision.

Chevelle2
07-28-2009, 07:08 PM
NFL Total Access is reporting that Brett has told Steve Mariucci that he is "Torn over the decision" and is not sure "How he will feel in the morning" and that he will continue working out and throwing the football. Favre Watch 2009 may not be over as we all think.

wtf

KYPack
07-28-2009, 07:13 PM
NFL Total Access is reporting that Brett has told Steve Mariucci that he is "Torn over the decision" and is not sure "How he will feel in the morning" and that he will continue working out and throwing the football. Favre Watch 2009 may not be over as we all think.

wtf

The guy is nuts, what can you say?

Harlan Huckleby
07-28-2009, 07:19 PM
He just didn't know if he could handle 16 weeks of football, mentally and physically. If that's the case, he should stay retired.

ya, but if Rodgers gets hurt in week 6, then he only has to make it through a 12 week season, minus training camp.

I'll bet anything Favre plays somehwere in the NFL later this year. Even as an old man, he is still a capable starting QB.

I'm looking forward to Mike Vick in a Viking uniform.

Rastak
07-28-2009, 07:20 PM

The radio show I was listening to here in the Twin Cities made it sound like physically he was fine now. He just didn't know if he could handle 16 weeks of football, mentally and physically. If that's the case, he should stay retired.

The full interview with Werder indicated he had ankle and knee pain after workouts if I am not mistaken and felt like he just wouldn't hold up. I think he said his arm was fine. Probably a good call on his part.

Rastak
07-28-2009, 07:21 PM
He just didn't know if he could handle 16 weeks of football, mentally and physically. If that's the case, he should stay retired.

ya, but if Rodgers gets hurt in week 6, then he only has to make it through a 12 week season, minus training camp.

I'll bet anything Favre plays somehwere in the NFL later this year. Even as an old man, he is still a capable starting QB.

Holy shit are you going to be disapointed. There is -5% chance of that happening.

cheesner
07-28-2009, 07:23 PM

wtf

15 minutes

BEARMAN
07-28-2009, 07:23 PM
farve Who ? :twisted:

gbgary
07-28-2009, 07:27 PM

wtf

15 minutes

i read the first post, on the first page, and immediately went to the last page to see if he'd changed his mind. :lol:

Rastak
07-28-2009, 07:28 PM
I have a funky theory......

Favre will continue to keep throwing

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 28, 2009 7:57 PM ET
You didn't think he was going away that easily, did you?

While Brett Favre's public comments appeared to close the door on another flip-flop, his phone conversation with NFL Network's Steve Mariucci left a different impression.

Favre told Mariucci that he was retired, but he's going to keep throwing and continue to work out. (NFL Network's Scott Hansen relayed the news on television and his Twitter account.)

When Mariucci asked how Favre would feel about his decision Wednesday morning, Favre reportedly said, "I'm wondering that myself."

Hattiesburg's most famous resident is spending Tuesday night out with his daughter in an effort to get away from everything.

But it sure sounds like he will go back to torturing the NFL public with indecision in the morning.

Do you think in a week or two he'll call the Vikings, ask if they want him, is told no, and he can rest easy with the knowledge that he didn;t have to make the call in the end?

Just a wild thought.

cheesner
07-28-2009, 07:32 PM

While Brett Favre's public comments appeared to close the door on another flip-flop, his phone conversation with NFL Network's Steve Mariucci left a different impression.

Favre told Mariucci that he was retired, but he's going to keep throwing and continue to work out. (NFL Network's Scott Hansen relayed the news on television and his Twitter account.)

When Mariucci asked how Favre would feel about his decision Wednesday morning, Favre reportedly said, "I'm wondering that myself."

Hattiesburg's most famous resident is spending Tuesday night out with his daughter in an effort to get away from everything.

But it sure sounds like he will go back to torturing the NFL public with indecision in the morning.

Do you think in a week or two he'll call the Vikings, ask if they want him, is told no, and he can rest easy with the knowledge that he didn;t have to make the call in the end?

Just a wild thought.
At that point he would call the commish and complain, force Minn to either sign him or trade him . . . um. never mind.

packinpatland
07-28-2009, 07:32 PM
Favre Who ? :twisted:

Favre who?............Favre who was the pain in your ass for quite awhile!

GBRulz
07-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Vikings are ticked because now they will probably have to sell $3 tickets again in order to avoid blackouts! :P

packinpatland
07-28-2009, 07:38 PM
Maybe Favre will be like Testaverde.......

With Jake Delhomme out for the 2007 season due to an elbow injury he suffered in a Week 3 victory over the Atlanta Falcons, and David Carr out with a sore back, the Panthers signed Testaverde on October 10, 2007. Testaverde, wearing # 16, started his first game with the team on October 14, 2007 against the Arizona Cardinals. In that game he threw a 65-yard touchdown pass to Steve Smith, extending his NFL record to 21 consecutive seasons with a touchdown pass.[11] After leading the Panthers to a 25-10 victory, the 43-year-old became the oldest starting quarterback to win a game in NFL history, and the third-oldest to start one. He has also thrown touchdown passes to 71 different players, also a record. On Sunday October 28th, coach John Fox named Testaverde the starting quarterback against the Indianapolis Colts. In that game, Testaverde lead the Panthers in the longest opening drive for a touchdown in franchise history, consisting of 18 plays and lasting for an unprecedented 11 minutes and one second. Despite winning time of possession in the first half of the game, the Panthers entered the locker room under a 3-point deficit. In the second half, Testaverde left the field with a sprained Achilles tendon, and was replaced by former Houston Texans quarterback David Carr. Ultimately, the Panthers lost 31-7. Reports said that Testaverde would be out for at least a week. [12]

On November 18, 2007, Testaverde and the Panthers hosted Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers for their Week 11 matchup. With Testaverde at 44 years of age and Favre at 38 years of age, this was the oldest starting quarterback duo in any game in NFL history. The "Senior Bowl", as it was nicknamed in the media, was won by Favre's Packers 31-17.[13]

On December 2, 2007, Testaverde became the second oldest starting quarterback in NFL history at 44 years and 19 days old. He threw two touchdown passes against the San Francisco 49ers in the Panthers' win, breaking his own record for the oldest starter to win an NFL game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinny_Testaverde

PlantPage55
07-28-2009, 07:39 PM

Check the Soldier Field record books.

Rastak
07-28-2009, 07:44 PM

You guys are killing me. Now he's a good guy again..... :lol:

Bossman641
07-28-2009, 07:58 PM

Just a wild thought.

Do you think the Vikings would tell him no Ras?

Brando19
07-28-2009, 08:03 PM

Actually...yeah.

Favre is one of us...again...for now. :lol:

Hopefully for good.

But....if ARodge would go down in December....and the Packers seem to be Playoff bound....does TT pick up the phone and call Hattiesburg or does he have too much pride? And if he would do it....does Brett answer the phone?

Hopefully Rodgers doesn't go down, though...and has a 4,500 yard season and we win the Super Bowl.

KYPack
07-28-2009, 08:27 PM
If Brett keeps this up, he might land himself in the nuthouse.

MOBB DEEP
07-28-2009, 08:55 PM
im devastated to say the least!

'nuff said....

off to slit both wrists

DAYUM...!!!

rbaloha1
07-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Favre's "decision" is temporary. What happens if the Vikings start poorly due to qb play? Favre is summoned ASAP.

MJZiggy
07-28-2009, 09:04 PM

No, Patler didn't... :mrgreen: 8-)

BF4MVP
07-28-2009, 09:12 PM

Well yeah....Deciding not to play for a division rival does make a big difference.. 8-)

Scott Campbell
07-28-2009, 09:12 PM
Vikings are ticked because now they will probably have to sell $3 tickets again in order to avoid blackouts! :P

At $3 they're probably worth every penny - just to watch the visiting team.

MOBB DEEP
07-28-2009, 09:25 PM
my boy keeps textn me to keep my head up "brett will change mind and still come back"

i told him shut up b/c he's mad at brett anyway and is just selling me a pipe dream

listen, my top 5 is lord favre, bird, ewing, iverson, and sweetness so this hurts to the core

why the heck couldnt tt have kept team in tact after makn it to nfccg? instead we go 6-10 with basically the SAME SQUAD sans the aura of the ol gunslinger

ppl dont realize just how F'd up that whole charade was; if it aint broke dont fix it! ask jerry krause! icons DESERVE special consideration

tt will go down in infamy.....no nfccg for AT LEAST five years and barely making playoffs, if at all, will not heal the wound imho

no lord favre, no vick da great = nfl sucks!!!!!!!

CaliforniaCheez
07-28-2009, 09:27 PM
http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=17950&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I hope all the jerks who insulted him and actually thought he would join the vikings apologize.

Brando19
07-28-2009, 09:36 PM
my boy keeps textn me to keep my head up "brett will change mind and still come back"

i told him shut up b/c he's mad at brett anyway and is just selling me a pipe dream

listen, my top 5 is lord favre, bird, ewing, iverson, and sweetness so this hurts to the core

why the heck couldnt tt have kept team in tact after makn it to nfccg? instead we go 6-10 with basically the SAME SQUAD sans the aura of the ol gunslinger

ppl dont realize just how F'd up that whole charade was; if it aint broke dont fix it! ask jerry krause! icons DESERVE special consideration

tt will go down in infamy.....no nfccg for AT LEAST five years and barely making playoffs, if at all, will not heal the wound imho

Speaking of Ewing...didn't he win NBA's best looking? :lol:

Rastak
07-28-2009, 09:38 PM
http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=17950&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I hope all the jerks who insulted him and actually thought he would join the vikings apologize.

You do realize, from his own words, the only reason he didn't is becasue he doesn't think he can hold up for the year. He's too damn old. I hope you don't think it's because he worships the team you worship?

Not trying to start anything but that's how it is.

Stevogbfan
07-28-2009, 09:47 PM

not really but it's nice that he won't come here in a purple shirt
now i won't have to burn his stuff

and if you look in the soldier field record book he's all over that

Spaulding
07-28-2009, 09:48 PM

I don't think I dumped on Favre much over the recent weeks but how do you construe his decision not to play for the Vikings warranting an apology of any kind? His decision was based on his concern on his body holding up versus him saying he wasn't playing for the division rival Vikings out of loyalty to the Packers and all his fans who rooted for him over the years.

Either way, his past actions have crapped on the fans that root for the Packers first and Favre second.

I'm optimistic this action if true speeds the healing process and allows for some type of Favre post Packers reunion in the near future to honor his accomplishments as a Packer and retire his jersey.

MOBB DEEP
07-28-2009, 09:56 PM

Speaking of Ewing...didn't he win NBA's best looking? :lol:

yep

Bretsky
07-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Brady gets hurt and the genius brings in Favre for a NFL title :lol:

Zool
07-28-2009, 10:06 PM

This just in Mobb.....Favre retired after that NFCCG season. In a very tearful goodbye speech.

VegasPackFan
07-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Brett Favre will be news all season long as starting QB's go down. Every time that happens the question will be asked if that team would give Favre a call. You watch and see. I honestly dont think this thing is over yet.

MOBB DEEP
07-28-2009, 10:36 PM

This just in Mobb.....Favre retired after that NFCCG season. In a very tearful goodbye speech.

then tried to comeback and got the shaft by a weasel of a GM who wont win jack... :roll:

BRING BACK WOLF...!!!

j/k

Bossman641
07-28-2009, 11:31 PM

then tried to comeback and got the shaft by a weasel of a GM who wont win jack... :roll:

BRING BACK WOLF...!!!

j/k

Mobb aren't you always talking about hate?

Mobb deep wrote

i think we are much more forgiving (like Jesus) while white for are more judgemental and self-righteous

:?:

dayum

Scott Campbell
07-28-2009, 11:34 PM

BRING BACK WOLF...!!!

j/k

And today it looks like Brett finally conceded that Ted was right about his time coming to an end.

bobblehead
07-29-2009, 12:14 AM
The Minneapolis Star-Tribune is reporting that Brett Favre plans to stay retired.

FOR TWO MORE DAYS!!!!

SnakeLH2006
07-29-2009, 01:31 AM

FOR TWO MORE DAYS!!!!

HHAHHAHAHHAAAA... Yep. Brett makes his "real" decision on the 30th? No? I swear that Bus Cook has a deal with ESPN for ratings profits on this shit. It ain't over till it's over.

MichiganPackerFan
07-29-2009, 09:11 AM

While reserving criticism, we have witness a lot of waffling on decisions, so I am certainly not unprepared for another twist in the drama. I would like some closure so the healing can begin however.

This becomes a real possibility. The timing of Vick’s return couldn’t be better for MIN. Even if he is rusty, he can’t be worse than anything MIN has on the roster.

At $3 they're probably worth every penny - just to watch the visiting team.

Shit, I’d give $5 to watch Detroit, and they don’t even have a professional football team!

vince
07-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Vandermause captures some of my feelings regarding this whole saga and how it was handled by everyone involved in his editorial here.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090728/PKR07/90728133/1058/PKR01
The Minnesota Vikings organization was busy wiping egg off its collective face and conducting damage control on Tuesday after Brett Favre decided to stay retired.

But no amount of spin from Vikings coach Brad Childress can erase the damage inflicted on his team over the past two months.

Childress and the Vikings allowed Favre to string them along all summer, and then on the eve of training camp, the quarterback left them standing at the altar.

Desperate Minnesota players and coaches have been texting, e-mailing, begging and pleading with the 39-year-old Favre to come out of retirement and play for the Vikings, a not-so-subtle slap at quarterbacks Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels.

So now those two signal callers, who might just as well go by the names Tweedledee and Tweedledum, are supposed to believe Childress when he says about Favre’s decision: “This doesn’t change anything about how I feel about our football team.”

Nice selling job, but I’m not buying.

Childress did everything in his power to accommodate Favre, a bad precedent for a coach who is supposed to put the team above any individual.

The Vikings knew all about Favre’s mighty struggle every year on the retirement issue. Yet instead of imposing a hard-and-fast deadline, Childress served as Favre’s enabler by allowing him to take as much time as he wanted to make a decision about his future.

It left the Vikings organization shrouded in uncertainty and spoke volumes about the slip-shod nature of their operation. It also reaffirmed that the Packers made the correct decision a year ago in moving on without Favre. No team should allow itself to be held hostage by one player.

Of course, Tuesday’s developments serve as good news for many Packers fans, who won’t be forced to cringe at the sight of Favre wearing a purple jersey and can enjoy watching Childress scramble to pick up the pieces of his shattered dream.

There’s no denying that Favre facing off against the Packers this season would have produced high drama.

The folks at ESPN, which will broadcast the Monday night Packers-Vikings game on Oct. 5, are no doubt swearing under their breath at the thought of lost ratings and revenue. Ticket holders of the Packers-Vikings showdown at Lambeau Field on Nov. 1 are doing the same thing as the value of their ducats has plummeted.

But this matchup wasn’t meant to be.

Give Favre credit for having the conviction to turn down the Vikings’ $10 million offer to play. He couldn’t give a total commitment, so rather than cheat himself or the team, he had the courage to walk away. It took him far too long to come to that conclusion, but that’s the Vikings’ fault, not his.

— Mike Vandermause is sports editor of the Press-Gazette

Packers4Ever
07-29-2009, 02:01 PM

Favre who?............Favre who was the pain in your ass for quite awhile!

Yeah :lol: get ready for the next pain in your ass,
he's warming up and ready to go !!!!!!!!!! :cow:

Packers4Ever
07-29-2009, 02:13 PM

Sad but true, CC, just go read MN newspapers, Mpls Star for instance,or any sports' sites with blogs, Very very nasty, Packer "fans" as well as many from across the border.

Scott Campbell
07-29-2009, 02:16 PM

Apologize? I haven't seen this big a tease since Shelly Tidswell wore a tube top to school in 9th grade.

CaptainKickass
07-29-2009, 02:38 PM

Apologize? I haven't seen this big a tease since Shelly Tidswell wore a tube top to school in 9th grade.

Oh, how I remember her.

But wasn't her last name spelled with a "t" and not a "d"?

:D

cheesner
07-29-2009, 02:39 PM

Sad but true, CC, just go read MN newspapers, Mpls Star for instance,or any sports' sites with blogs, Very very nasty, Packer "fans" as well as many from across the border.
Why would we do that? Fact is he wanted to join the Vikings but apparently can't based on physical issues. Just because circumstances prevent him from joining the enemy to 'stick it to the Packers' doesn't mean anything.

By the way, I am not sure where I got these quotes, but I have had them for a while. Sorry for the plagarism if they are from here.

-- "Not since Elvis died has a Southerner's inability to (expletive) or get off the pot been so fascinating."

-- "I haven't see this kind of waffling since my obese aunt decided to challenge IHOP's 'all you can eat' policy."

-- "I now see the irony in Minnesota naming their state bird the common loon."

mraynrand
07-29-2009, 05:53 PM
-- "I haven't see this kind of waffling since my obese aunt decided to challenge IHOP's 'all you can eat' policy."

That's a good one. Reminds of a similar scene at Church's chicken the other day. I coulda sworn it was one of those eating contests, but it just turned out to be 'lunch.'

DannoMac21
07-29-2009, 06:42 PM
im devastated to say the least!

'nuff said....

off to slit both wrists

DAYUM...!!!

lmao. MOBB DEEP has now hit rock bottom.

MJZiggy
07-29-2009, 06:44 PM
So, I've been off at work all day. He's still retired? I figured 10 hours was enough time for him to change his mind...at least twice.

Bretsky
07-29-2009, 06:46 PM
So, I've been off at work all day. He's still retired? I figured 10 seconds was enough time for him to change his mind...at least twice.

If he was a chick the above would be correct :wink:

MJZiggy
07-29-2009, 06:47 PM
I don't know, babe, I've never once retired and then asked for my job back. :wink:

Rastak
07-29-2009, 07:37 PM
Vandermause captures some of my feelings regarding this whole saga and how it was handled by everyone involved in his editorial here.

I thought California Cheese wrote it and not Vandermause. To be honest, a large part of it was a giant crock of shit.

vince
07-30-2009, 05:05 AM
And today it looks like Brett finally conceded that Ted was right about his time coming to an end.
The most poignant post in the whole thread. While it is easy to understand and appreciate Favre's reluctance to accept the fact that his time has passed, the vitriol and self-centeredness with which he handled the entire situation is not.

Ras, that self-centeredness was fed by the fans and media over many years, and by the Packers for many years - and unfortunately for Vikings fans, by them this offseason. Perhaps Rosenfels or Jackson will perform just fine, but the Vikings hurt their team chemistry - and confidence in their quarterbacks - going into the season by placating to the whims of an over-the-hill Favre all summer. There's now a cloud of doubt hanging over those two guys which could have been avoided. If/When they don't play well, that cloud will pour rain more quickly than it otherwise would have.

I'll always remember with fondness the contributions he made to the Packers for so long, but it is unfortunate that this is, from my perspective, perhaps the most unceremonious ending to such a great career that has ever been witnessed. He was so unable to let go of the celebrity and thrill of football stardom (exactly what Favre himself repeatedly professed wanting to avoid) that he was perfectly willing to kick his former and prospective teams and teammates to the curb to continue getting it. The only thing that would top it is if he had returned to his former team's archrival for yet another season and failed to hold up down the stretch yet again.

vince
07-30-2009, 06:24 AM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Diner-morning-news-Childress-must-fix-this-mess.html

Diner morning news: Childress must fix this mess

Brett Favre gave Brad Childress of the Vikings an answer Tuesday. I’m not sure it’s the one he wanted to hear, but nonetheless, it was a decision. For now, he is not coming back -- emphasis on the “for now.”

Of course, we got a quote from coach Childress: “I just think it was a rare opportunity to explore a Hall of Fame quarterback who had a background in the NFC and in this division. He knows our system inside out. … This doesn’t change anything about how I feel about our football team.”

A rare opportunity? I wouldn’t call chasing a 40-year-old quarterback coming off a shoulder injury “rare.” Had Favre been 32, then yes, this would have been a rare opportunity. Speaking of rare, do you consider a 26-year-old quarterback who has thrown for more than 8,000 yards (Minnesota has thrown for 5,700) and 45 touchdowns the past two years rare? For me, the rare opportunity was when Jay Cutler was on the market, not Favre. But Childress didn’t like Cutler, didn’t like his personality, had heard some “things” (for lack of a better word) and decided to pass.

I love Brett Favre as a player and am really happy he didn’t come back because, as I mentioned in the Sunday Post, he has not trained his body to play this season. Without proper training, he would’ve had a hard time staying healthy and playing at the level of excellence we’ve all come to expect. The aging process takes a toll on everyone, even someone as great as Favre.

So where does my favorite NFL head coach go now? Of course, he’s going to mention to everyone, except his own quarterbacks, that he has confidence in his team, his beloved system and his players. What I find funny is that Childress had time to talk to Peter King of SI.com (nice work, Peter) about the Favre situation but didn’t have the time to call Sage Rosenfels or Tarvaris Jackson. I love Peter, but he’s not going to help you win games; Rosenfels and Jackson just might. Don’t you think they should have been told first and been given some love and nurturing?

I was told Wednesday night that many in the Vikings organization were not in favor of chasing Favre, that it was solely the idea of the head coach. This was his baby from start to finish, even to the point where it was reported that the team hadn’t imposed a deadline on Favre and allowed him to take as much time as he needed. Clearly, Childress just wanted Favre.

Being fair to Childress, maybe he saw a need to acquire Favre as a reaction to what has transpired in the NFC North. Maybe he felt that with Cutler in Chicago and the Packers being healthy, he needed a quick fix. Because let’s face it, even if Favre came back, it was only for one year. Where would the Vikings be in 2010?

Now the burden of moving the ball falls back to Jackson or Rosenfels, and the burden of calling games falls on offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell. But the greatest challenge awaiting Childress is restoring the team’s confidence in its quarterbacks. Childress has lost some trust of the players with this pursuit, particularly the quarterbacks. Some may dismiss it as just trying to improve the team, but trust me, these moves can backfire and create a very unpleasant locker room. One of the key traits of leadership is called “Management of Trust,” which means the leader is honest and consistent with his actions, something Childress clearly has not been through this process. He never addressed the situation with either player nor told them what they could expect. In fact, when he recruited Rosenfels to come to Minnesota before the trade with Houston, he never mentioned any other quarterback he might compete against except Jackson. It will take some time to repair this mess created by the Favre chase, and it might continue if Favre keeps throwing and the Vikings keep calling. But for now, coach Childress must clean up the mess — quickly -- and stop thinking there is no mess.

Bretsky
07-30-2009, 07:24 AM
I don't know, babe, I've never once retired and then asked for my job back. :wink:

You haven't worked long enough :lol:

KYPack
07-30-2009, 10:44 AM

I thought California Cheese wrote it and not Vandermause. To be honest, a large part of it was a giant crock of shit.

Was it California Cheese ?

Or Vandermause?

Nah, for me, Norman Chad best captured the whole Favre saga in his Couch Slouch column....

Quote on

Brett Favre will be returning to the NFL this week with the Minnesota Vikings, according to my sources. There is also a chance Favre will not be returning to the NFL this week with the Vikings, according to my sources. In either case, here is an up-to-the-minute timeline of Favre's twist-and-turn life since his original retirement announcement on March 6, 2008:

• Favre tearfully announces his retirement at Green Bay press conference.

• Favre says a possible comeback is all “rumor.”

• Favre calls Packers coach Mike McCarthy and tells him he will stay retired.

• Favre sees NBC's Peter King at Starbucks, buys him a grande caffe mocha and tells him he definitely is retiring.

• Favre wants to come to Packers training camp.

• Favre is traded to the New York Jets.

• Favre calls King during halftime of the Jets-Bills game and tells him he will retire at the end of the third quarter.

• Favre completes season with the Jets, then announces retirement again.

• Favre asks Jets to release him just in case he wants to sign with another team.

• Favre calls King and tells him he's retiring for at least five days, maybe longer.

• Favre gets arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder while looking at carpet swatches for his pool room.

• Favre walks into CVS and buys Ben Gay.

• Scrambling for a parking spot at Home Depot, Favre throws his car up for grabs.

• ESPN's Ed Werder reports Favre was rubbing his right arm while dining at Applebee's in Clinton, Miss.

• Favre walks onto the set of SportsCenter and tells Neil Everett he can retire again that evening if they are having a slow news day.

• ESPN's John Clayton reports Favre has six fingers on his right (throwing) hand and five fingers on his left (non-throwing) hand.

• Werder reports Favre has five fingers on his right (throwing) hand and six fingers on his left (non-throwing) hand.

• Favre goes on HBO's Joe Buck Live and shows he has five fingers on each hand but says he hasn't thrown a football in four months.

• ESPN's John Clayton reports that Werder was on the phone with Sal Paolantonio while he was leaving a voicemail for Favre.

• ESPN's Chris Mortensen confirms Charles Lindbergh's baby has been kidnapped.

• Favre, house-hunting in Eden Prairie, runs into one of his errant passes from a December '03 Packers-at-Vikings game.

• Brett Favre's Steakhouse in Green Bay changes its menu for the third time in 16 months.

• Favre switches from DirecTV to Dish Network.

• Favre, casting out for walleye in Little Sioux, Iowa, overthrows lake.

• Favre calls John Madden and tries to talk him out of retirement.

• Fox's Jay Glazer reports Favre is lifting weights that Glazer gave him.

• NBC's King spills coffee on his notes from his most recent phone conversation with Favre.

• Favre tells a close friend he doesn't think he wants to wear pants any more.

• Favre walks away from Wrangler, begins discreet talks with Dockers.

• At their monthly Retirees Anonymous meeting, Favre aggravates arm injury exchanging playful punches with Sugar Ray Leonard.

• ESPN reports Favre is talking to the Dalai Lama about a consulting position.

• Favre practices Hamlet's Act Three, Scene 1 soliloquy.

• Favre calls Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio, asks operator if players can be inducted while still active.

• Favre fills out an application for Greenpeace.

• Farve cancels life insurance, gambling he might live forever.

• Farve and wife, Deanna, discuss renewing vows, but he puts its off until shoulder is fully healed.

• Vikings officials watch Favre throw for 15 minutes at local high school.

• Vikings officials watch Favre parallel-park for five minutes at a local barbershop.

• Vikings officials watch Favre throw off the media for 45 minutes.

• Favre spurns Vikings, signs deal to split time between L.A. Galaxy and AC Milan.

Quote off

Now that shit is funny.

And basically, it's just the truth with a few nuggets of humor. Brett, we are done, buddy. Stifle yourself, Bro.

QUIT

OR PLAY

but knock off the bullshit, wilya please?

MichiganPackerFan
07-30-2009, 11:00 AM

And I'm guessing none of us has been in position to retire from our livlihood while in their 30's and have to wonder what the hell I'm going to do with the next 60 years!

SnakeLH2006
07-31-2009, 12:05 AM
Brett Favre will be returning to the NFL this week with the Minnesota Vikings, according to my sources. There is also a chance Favre will not be returning to the NFL this week with the Vikings, according to my sources. In either case, here is an up-to-the-minute timeline of Favre's twist-and-turn life since his original retirement announcement on March 6, 2008:

• Favre sees NBC's Peter King at Starbucks, buys him a grande caffe mocha and tells him he definitely is retiring.

• Favre calls King during halftime of the Jets-Bills game and tells him he will retire at the end of the third quarter.

• Favre asks Jets to release him just in case he wants to sign with another team.

• Favre calls King and tells him he's retiring for at least five days, maybe longer.

• Favre gets arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder while looking at carpet swatches for his pool room.

• Scrambling for a parking spot at Home Depot, Favre throws his car up for grabs.

• ESPN's Ed Werder reports Favre was rubbing his right arm while dining at Applebee's in Clinton, Miss.

• Favre walks onto the set of SportsCenter and tells Neil Everett he can retire again that evening if they are having a slow news day.

• ESPN's John Clayton reports Favre has six fingers on his right (throwing) hand and five fingers on his left (non-throwing) hand.

• Werder reports Favre has five fingers on his right (throwing) hand and six fingers on his left (non-throwing) hand.

• Favre goes on HBO's Joe Buck Live and shows he has five fingers on each hand but says he hasn't thrown a football in four months.

• ESPN's John Clayton reports that Werder was on the phone with Sal Paolantonio while he was leaving a voicemail for Favre.

• Favre, house-hunting in Eden Prairie, runs into one of his errant passes from a December '03 Packers-at-Vikings game.

• Brett Favre's Steakhouse in Green Bay changes its menu for the third time in 16 months.

• NBC's King spills coffee on his notes from his most recent phone conversation with Favre.

• At their monthly Retirees Anonymous meeting, Favre aggravates arm injury exchanging playful punches with Sugar Ray Leonard.

• Favre calls Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio, asks operator if players can be inducted while still active.

• Favre cancels life insurance, gambling he might live forever.

• Favre and wife, Deanna, discuss renewing vows, but he puts its off until shoulder is fully healed.

• Vikings officials watch Favre parallel-park for five minutes at a local barbershop.

• Favre spurns Vikings, signs deal to split time between L.A. Galaxy and AC Milan.

That KY is truly funny and awesome...This seems like a Fritz type of post, but sobeit, that cut and paste just went out to numerous peeps on email.

Great stuff! LMFAO!

Pugger
07-31-2009, 11:39 AM
KYPack, you forgot one item in your account of the saga - didn't Favre, after his tearful PC, tell MM and TT he wanted to come back and so the Packers were all set to announce his return into the fold but BF yet AGAIN changed his mind?

ThunderDan
07-31-2009, 01:18 PM

• Favre cancels life insurance, gambling he might live forever.

• Favre and wife, Deanna, discuss renewing vows, but he puts its off until shoulder is fully healed.

That KY is truly funny and awesome...This seems like a Fritz type of post, but sobeit, that cut and paste just went out to numerous peeps on email.

Great stuff! LMFAO!

That's Norman Chad's work. One of the two "voices" for the WSOP on ESPN.

MadScientist
07-31-2009, 02:09 PM

Great stuff! LMFAO!

That's Norman Chad's work. One of the two "voices" for the WSOP on ESPN.
There simply aren't enough column inches to cover all of Favre's chages of heart.

MOBB DEEP
08-02-2009, 08:19 PM

And I'm guessing none of us has been in position to retire from our livlihood while in their 30's and have to wonder what the hell I'm going to do with the next 60 years!

spot on.....

KYPack
08-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Snake, Pug, and TD, as noted, I copped that timeline from Norman Chad. Gave 'im credit in my original post.

Fritz, me, and others on here are about half funny, but Norman Chad can be a flat-out scream.

Fritz
08-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Snake, Pug, and TD, as noted, I copped that timeline from Norman Chad. Gave 'im credit in my original post.

Fritz, me, and others on here are about half funny, but Norman Chad can be a flat-out scream.

Speak for yourself, old man. I am often five-eighths funny.

Scott Campbell
08-03-2009, 12:29 PM

Yeah, but he's that way intentionally.

KYPack
08-03-2009, 01:36 PM

When wazzat?

SC, you are very often 30% funny.

Scott Campbell
08-03-2009, 03:11 PM

When wazzat?

SC, you are very often 30% funny.

My average must be coming up.

Pugger
08-03-2009, 03:31 PM

I got a kick out of it tho! :lol:

Fritz
08-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Two points from me:

1. The point kept coming up that Favre felt he couldn't hold up for a full season. Does this suggest he might be able to hold up for, say, ten or twelve games?

2. Will the Favre clan call 1265 Lombardi and strongly, strongly suggest that the Packers immediately set up the retirement-of-the-jersey game for the Minny home game, so the family already has rooms booked for that one?

woodbuck27
08-04-2009, 07:58 PM

B. His decision didn't surprize nor shock me.

Scott Campbell
08-04-2009, 08:24 PM

Gotta give Woody his props on this. He did state that he thought Favre might take a pass on the putrid purple.

MJZiggy
08-04-2009, 08:31 PM
*AHEM* He wasn't the only one!!!

Bretsky
08-04-2009, 08:31 PM

Gotta give Woody his props on this. He did state that he thought Favre might take a pass on the putrid purple.

Yes, he did

KUDOS TO WOODY

Perhaps he can join my Kiper Like Draft Prediction Service Next :!:

SnakeLH2006
08-05-2009, 01:30 AM

Umm....maybe I'm lost, but Bret, err...you aren't Mel Kiper?? I always assumed as much.. What? :shock: :lol:

MOBB DEEP
08-05-2009, 06:55 AM
im still reeling; the NFL is will NOT the same w/o Lord Favre

NO WAY i will be as excited sunday mornings after church...DAYUM...

woodbuck27
08-06-2009, 05:10 PM

Yes, he did

KUDOS TO WOODY

I sure hope that he stays retired. It would have been wild here all season if he became a Viking. It would have been pure selfishness on my part to want that to happen. Just two games away from that all position start streal! That smarts.

Yet looking at it long term Brett Favre made the best decision. He's a complex man or very deep. Looking at his chances to lead the Vikings to a Super Bowl appearance. I couldn't get really excited with the Viking position at WR in terms of both talent and depth. The rest of that team looks pretty solid.

It will bother me for some time that he's really gone from the game. I loved to watch him play.

GO Packers!

Chevelle2
08-17-2009, 09:37 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHHAHAAH

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/17/favre-still-in-play-for-the-vikings/

GBRulz
08-17-2009, 10:39 AM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/17/favre-still-in-play-for-the-vikings/

Glazer must not be getting any attention lately and this is the only way he knows how to get it....to speculate about Favre. So tired of this.

Bossman641
08-17-2009, 10:43 AM
MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!!!!!!

Pugger
08-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Oh brother. :? I suppose the BF rumor mill was quiet for too long. I'm sure the queens can't wait to sign a 40 year old QB who hasn't worked out in eons and...or can they be that desperate? If they do, BF won't last the season.

pbmax
08-17-2009, 11:48 AM

Glazer must not be getting any attention lately and this is the only way he knows how to get it....to speculate about Favre. So tired of this.
Then Peter King must be feeling lonely after his Hall Of Fame award, because he made the same conjecture.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/08/16/mmqb/4.html

MOBB DEEP
08-17-2009, 12:50 PM
simply, wow......

MichiganPackerFan
08-17-2009, 01:13 PM
If he's not ready to retire, so be it.
1) I loved his 16 years in Green Bay
2) I firmly believe that Aaron Rodgers is the right Quarterback for the team
3) Favre will not beat the Packers. He might throw a few picks and look foolish, but I don't see MIN winning with or without him. (Have to believe in my team)

bobblehead
08-17-2009, 02:05 PM
My original prediction of him reporting right at the start of TC missed the mark, but my backup plan of once two a days are finished is right on track.

mraynrand
08-17-2009, 02:47 PM
My original prediction of him reporting right at the start of TC missed the mark, but my backup plan of once two a days are finished is right on track.

what's the backup to your backup?

gbgary
08-17-2009, 08:27 PM
http://smilies.spacebrew.com/suicide.gif

MJZiggy
08-17-2009, 09:23 PM

what's the backup to your backup?

Game 1?

packerbacker1234
08-17-2009, 09:41 PM
He's still an effective QB, but with that injury last year can he last a full season? We'll see. IF he comes on and the offense is truly similar to GB, the vikings could be pretty hot out the gate.

MOBB DEEP
08-18-2009, 06:47 AM
this current mess is on the organization at this point. the brass needs to get their program in order! imagine a member of the pack, pats or pitt provoking this charade....

this doesnt bode well for minny either way; favre or no

Chevelle2
08-18-2009, 08:29 AM
a guy on Favres official site who is very well connected, and has been dropping hints on the message board to everyone (and who has been correct each time)

says Favre to MN.

Today.

Harlan Huckleby
08-18-2009, 08:41 AM
God, I hope you are right Chevelle! The Vick story is dying down, we need some drama. A fresh unretirement siting would be special.

Chevelle2
08-18-2009, 08:44 AM
God, I hope you are right Chevelle! The Vick story is dying down, we need some drama. A fresh unretirement siting would be special.

Hey I hope HE'S right...I am just relaying what I heard.

But anyways....who the hell twice fakes their own retirement???

Harlan Huckleby
08-18-2009, 08:50 AM
I'm serious, I really do want to see Favre come back. IT will be more fun to see him play.

I doubt the rumor, though.

Chevelle2
08-18-2009, 09:01 AM
I'm serious, I really do want to see Favre come back. IT will be more fun to see him play.

I doubt the rumor, though.

Fair enough.....I hope its true for my sake...I texted everyone I know. :lol:

Scott Campbell
08-18-2009, 09:12 AM
a guy on Favres official site who is very well connected, and has been dropping hints on the message board to everyone (and who has been correct each time)

says Favre to MN.

Today.

Boooooooooooooooooooooo!

GBRulz
08-18-2009, 09:48 AM

says Favre to MN.

Today.

Are you referring to David or Nate? In any case, I hope they are wrong.

Harlan Huckleby
08-18-2009, 09:56 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Favre-still-considering-a-spin-with-the-Vikings-?urn=nfl,183531

Sports Illustrated also has same rumor line that Favre is coming back.

vibes are vibing
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9922912/The-vibe-at-Vikings-camp:-Favre-could-come-back

green_bowl_packer
08-18-2009, 09:59 AM
Whatever happened to the block of hotel rooms in GB? Or the house he bought (supposedly bought in Edina, MN)?

I'd think if the block of rooms is still in the Favre name, it's probably gonna happen. Unfortunately.

Waldo
08-18-2009, 10:03 AM
The folks at WISN-TV in Milwaukee report that Brett and Deanna Favre have boarded in Hattiesburg a plane bearing a Vikings logo, within the past hour.

The plane reportedly is bound for Minneapolis.

Wow.

The administrative office at Hattiesburg Laurel Regional Airport report that Favre is on the plane.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/18/report-favre-is-on-a-plane-to-minnesota/

This is getting good.....

http://i39.tinypic.com/23m7tjd.jpg

Chevelle2
08-18-2009, 10:08 AM
Awesome, lets go out and kick his ass.

Oh and LOL @ this guy thinking he can be successful walking halfway through camp.

Harlan Huckleby
08-18-2009, 10:14 AM
http://www.madcowprod.com/fi04.jpg

The plane! The plane!

Rastak
08-18-2009, 10:16 AM
That dude is the master of getting out of stuff!

Rastak
08-18-2009, 10:17 AM
Oh and LOL @ this guy thinking he can be successful walking halfway through camp.

Yea, he struggled when he joined the Jets after arriving after the first preseason game. Right?

Harlan Huckleby
08-18-2009, 10:18 AM
this is shocking - why didn't his buddies at ESPN get to break the story!?

Chevelle2
08-18-2009, 10:19 AM

Yea, he struggled when he joined the Jets after arriving after the first preseason game. Right?

Yeah, if I recall he tore his damn bicep.

OkayKyle
08-18-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm 24 and have been a Packers fan since 1995 - so I, like many of you, grew up with Favre as our only quarterback. After Rodgers' great season last year, I finally overcame my denial that I couldn't see the Packers with another QB. I'm 100% sold on Rodgers being a stellar QB for the Pack for many, many years.

That being said, I don't want to see Favre retire. I've loved watching him - he makes the game so much more entertaining. How can you not root for the guy? It's really fun watching him play, but there's no way in hell I can cheer for the Vikings. It'll be a weird feeling having those mixed emotions, but I sure am glad he's still playing. Besides all the drama, he's good for the game.

Now there's no way I'll be able to afford Packers-Vikings tickets

]{ilr]3
08-18-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm 24 and have been a Packers fan since 1995 - so I, like many of you, grew up with Favre as our only quarterback. After Rodgers' great season last year, I finally overcame my denial that I couldn't see the Packers with another QB. I'm 100% sold on Rodgers being a stellar QB for the Pack for many, many years.

That being said, I don't want to see Favre retire. I've loved watching him - he makes the game so much more entertaining. How can you not root for the guy? It's really fun watching him play, but there's no way in hell I can cheer for the Vikings. It'll be a weird feeling having those mixed emotions, but I sure am glad he's still playing. Besides all the drama, he's good for the game.

Adrian Peterson is someone who is entertaining to watch. Brett Favre has been proven to be a self serving asswipe. There is nothing entertaining about that.

Chevelle2
08-18-2009, 10:58 AM
If they cut Jackson........

do we sign him? Is he better than Flynn?

Rastak
08-18-2009, 11:06 AM

If they ride that horse for 8 weeks and change at that point it works for me.

That's the real question, can he last a year. I have my doubts so it's 10 weeks of Favre and then call in the bullpen!

The Shadow
08-18-2009, 11:09 AM
Still not convinced.

Patler
08-18-2009, 12:03 PM

That's the real question, can he last a year. I have my doubts so it's 10 weeks of Favre and then call in the bullpen!

The Pony Express approach to quarterbacking! Ride one until he is ready to drop, then pick up a fresh one! :lol:

This will be interesting. He might last the season, because:

- he will be both physically and mentally fresh longer into the season because he is starting late.
- they get their bye exactly at midseason.
- in the last 8 games, 5 are at home in the dome, the others are Phoenix, Carolina and Chicago. Essentially, during the possibly miserable hot early season they play in the northern cities, in the potentially cold, wet and snowy late season they play indoors and in the south.
- he likely will not be asked to drop back as much, will not throw as much and will not be hit as much as in recent years.

The Vikings attempted fewer passes (452) last year as a team than Favre has attempted in any season other than his rookie year in Atlanta. If they can keep the focus on running the ball, with Favre averaging around 30 attempts per game they might be able to stretch out his effectiveness.

I think Favre could have a very solid year, unless his body lets him down from an injury standpoint, and that is always a possibility for a 40 year old.

denverYooper
08-18-2009, 12:05 PM

Because Chilly has been so good at putting his foot down when it comes to Brett :).

MOBB DEEP
08-18-2009, 12:10 PM

spot-on youngn

MOBB DEEP
08-18-2009, 12:13 PM

The Pony Express approach to quarterbacking! Ride one until he is ready to drop, then pick up a fresh one! :lol:

- he will be both physically and mentally fresh longer into the season because he is starting late.
- in the last 8 games, 5 are at home in the dome, the others are Phoenix, Carolina and Chicago. Essentially, during the possibly miserable hot early season they play in the northern cities, in the potentially cold, wet and snowy late season they play indoors and in the south.
- he likely will not be asked to drop back as much, will not throw as much and will not be hit as much as in recent years.

The Vikings attempted fewer passes (452) last year as a team than Favre has attempted in any season other than his rookie year in Atlanta. If they can keep the focus on running the ball, with Favre averaging around 30 attempts per game they might be able to stretch out his effectiveness.

I think Favre could have a very solid year, unless his body lets him down from an injury standpoint, and that is always a possibility for a 40 year old.

...and OF COURSE he has been putting in work so as to come in in good shape - DUH...NO WAY he would embarass himself in this scenario imho

CaptainKickass
08-18-2009, 12:26 PM

Isn't Favre statistically worse in Domes though? Save for the one big game in New Orleans.

?

Patler
08-18-2009, 12:28 PM
...and OF COURSE he has been putting in work so as to come in in good shape - DUH...NO WAY he would embarass himself in this scenario imho

Ya, that's possible, too!

hoosier
08-18-2009, 12:44 PM

Favre embarass himself? Who would even think such a thing?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

At first I thought you were being sacrastic. I wish I had been right, it would have been quite a funny line.

TheRaven
08-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Isn't Favre statistically worse in Domes though? Save for the one big game in New Orleans.

?

Yes, though was that because he was always on the road when playing in a dome?

Patler
08-18-2009, 12:59 PM
?

That was the case at one point, but I think in recent years his dome performances changed quite a bit.

bobblehead
08-18-2009, 02:26 PM

Yea, damn those reporters making up stories where there are none just to get attention. Glazer needs to look somewhere else...no story here.

MOBB DEEP
08-18-2009, 06:37 PM

Yea, damn those reporters making up stories where there are none just to get attention. Glazer needs to look somewhere else...no story here.

lmao

Scott Campbell
08-18-2009, 06:53 PM
?

That was the case at one point, but I think in recent years his dome performances changed quite a bit.

Or did he start throwing just as many picks on grass to even things out?