PDA

View Full Version : A 6 foot 10, 325lb Offensive Lineman?

CaptainKickass
07-28-2009, 04:57 PM
Don't forget the real Packers news today:

From here: http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Offensive lineman to work out
The Packers are looking at offensive lineman Peter Fields, according to the Indoor Football League team that Fields plays for.

The Odessa (Texas) Roughnecks said that the 6-foot-10 and 325 pound Fields will work out at Lambeau Field today.

"I got the word from my agent Monday evening about the workout and I’m absolutely thrilled about the opportunity," Field said. "There will be more information coming my way regarding the workout but right now this is an exciting moment for me and everything regarding my professional football career."

Fields is a native of Great Britain and played the last two seasons in the IFL. It does not appear that he played college football in the United States.

-- Rob Demovsky, rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

Freak Out
07-28-2009, 05:04 PM

The Packers are looking at offensive lineman Peter Fields, according to the Indoor Football League team that Fields plays for.

The Odessa (Texas) Roughnecks said that the 6-foot-10 and 325 pound Fields will work out at Lambeau Field today.

"I got the word from my agent Monday evening about the workout and I’m absolutely thrilled about the opportunity," Field said. "There will be more information coming my way regarding the workout but right now this is an exciting moment for me and everything regarding my professional football career."

Fields is a native of Great Britain and played the last two seasons in the IFL. It does not appear that he played college football in the United States.

Does GB have a basketball team?

CaptainKickass
07-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Yeah yeah -

Brett Favre farted into his cell phone.....

Meanwhile back at Kickass Headquarters...My peeps dug this up:

From here: www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3594394

Published on: 2/18/2008 Last Visited: 2/18/2008
ODESSA, TX. : The Odessa Roughnecks are pleased to announce the signing of Offensive Lineman Peter Fields for the 2008 season.Fields (6'10", 340 lbs.) was scouted by the Roughnecks at the John Lestini Group Free Agent Tryout held in Mobile, Alabama during Senior Bowl week in late January.

Peter is a native of Great Britain and currently lives in the UK.Peter has an outstanding background in athletics.He was a standout rugby player as well as a boxer during his early years.

Fields, 26, just recently made the switch to American Football and has picked up the game extremely quickly because of his incredible athleticism.Peter played with the Frankfurt Galaxy of NFL Europe in 2006.

"Peter is an extremely gifted athlete.We think he is a guy that has the initial tools to become a great player.For a man who is 6'10" he has great feet.He is not stiff like you would expect and he plays with good body leverage which is another thing you don't see in people that tall.Right now I am thinking that with Courtney Abbot (Florida State) at 6'9" and Peter at 6'10" we should have the foundation of a very solid offensive line.

this Mutha is one big ol boy. And it says that he weighs 340lbs not 325 as reported by GBPG.

Oh jolly good, cheerio ol chap - he's a Brit too. And a former Boxer. Diamond in the rough perhaps?

Freak Out
07-28-2009, 05:09 PM
He played Rugby......that is all we need to know. I bet he could kick as well.

Patler
07-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Good Grief! How is the QB supposed to see around or over THAT ?? !! :lol: :lol:

Patler
07-28-2009, 05:12 PM
I can see it now. 1st and goal to go. Peter Fields comes in at TE, Rodgers drops back, throws the ball straight up, Fields catches it....TOUCHDOWN!

CaptainKickass
07-28-2009, 05:46 PM
I can see it now. 1st and goal to go. Peter Fields comes in at TE, Rodgers drops back, throws the ball straight up, Fields catches it....TOUCHDOWN!

Is McCarthy trying to "One Up" Shermans Ol' U71 (Bacon!) formation?

Scott Campbell
07-28-2009, 05:48 PM
That guy will need to limbo to get his pad level right.

Lurker64
07-28-2009, 05:50 PM
I want to see him try to block Raji.

CaptainKickass
07-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Fuggin-a

Kickass Headquarters just sent me this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoDsmpywtD4

Dude says (in a british accent - duh) "I don't think there's anyone out there that I would find hard to block"

Dude is ripped too. I was expecting a flabby fat boy.

packrat
07-28-2009, 06:24 PM
It would be nice to have one of these cinderella stories work out for a change--but looking at him doesn't say much for the confidence the Pack has in their current roster.

Lurker64
07-28-2009, 06:34 PM
It would be nice to have one of these cinderella stories work out for a change--but looking at him doesn't say much for the confidence the Pack has in their current roster.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. You always need developmental/Practice Squad type guys on the OL, so why not take a flyer on some guy with the physical tools?

I mean, we had guys like Atlas Herrion and Orrin Thompson on the PS for how many years? It's not as though we have many offensive lineman who are PS elligible/would make it through waivers.

red
07-28-2009, 07:43 PM
well, this would be the definition of "beef on the line"

thats a good thing, get rid of the small, finesse junk

and i second patlers thought. how the hell are you suppose to throw over the guy?

pittstang5
07-28-2009, 08:38 PM
Fuggin-a

Dude says (in a british accent - duh) "I don't think there's anyone out there that I would find hard to block"

I kept waiting for the guy to say, "NEXT SUNDAY, THE 24 INCH PYTHONS WILL COME CRASHING DOWN ON YOU....SO KIDS, DRINK YOUR MILK AND EAT YOUR VITAMINS....HULK-A-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!"

pbmax
07-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Good Grief! How is the QB supposed to see around or over THAT ?? !! :lol: :lol:
The new rollout pass patterns? M3 will call them the Eclipse!

Brando19
07-28-2009, 08:53 PM

and i second patlers thought. how the hell are you suppose to throw over the guy?

Isn't Cowboys offensive linemen Leonard Davis 7 foot? He's hell on wheels...I say give this guy a spot and try him in the preseason.

MJZiggy
07-28-2009, 09:07 PM

I have GOT to meet this kid!

mission
07-28-2009, 09:32 PM
Fuggin-a

That chick is an idiot.

He kinda looks like Richard Branson of Virgin ...

Cool tryout though... I like the diamond in the rough idea. You never know.

bobblehead
07-29-2009, 12:37 AM
A favorite MM saying comes to mind when thinking about a 6'10" lineman:

"He has to work on keeping his pad level down"

SnakeLH2006
07-29-2009, 01:27 AM
Tall guys can have low pads....Look at Shaq laying the boom last night on WWE Raw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gW25PZZHns

WTF? :shock:

KYPack
07-29-2009, 07:23 AM
Tall guys can have low pads....Look at Shaq laying the boom last night on WWE Raw:

It was a work, Snake.

oregonpackfan
07-29-2009, 08:52 AM
Holy food bill, Batman! :)

Fortunately, both of my kids are daughters. Have any of you watched a teen-aged boy eat lately? One time my daughter brought home 5 of her college friends for a meal, two of whom were Division III football players. Those guys could really shovel it it down.

Someone who is 6'10" and 325 lbs. much rack up one heck of a weekly food bill. :shock:

CaptainKickass
07-29-2009, 11:34 AM

Here's another twist from the Kickass idea center -

So, you go double or even triple fullback set (Perhaps that inverted wishbone formation McCarthy likes) you put the new Fullback Johnson in, you put this guy in also as a fullback, and maybe Grant with the ball. Let both fullbacks hammer the same side of the Defense, and Grant just follows them through.

I dunno about you, but I think there's probably a few NFL linebackers that might just pee a little bit if they had a 6 foot 10, 330 pound fullback with a head of steam aiming straight for them.

Simple, Old School, Smash-Mouth, In Your Face, Run the Ball Down Their Throat Football.

Yeah man. Yeah.....

gbgary
07-29-2009, 10:16 PM
a 6'10" o lineman makes less sense than a 6'10" d lineman. someone that tall backing in toward the quarterback becomes a problem to throw over/around. wonder if he can be converted?

SnakeLH2006
07-30-2009, 02:28 AM

It was a work, Snake.

:shock: It's still real to me dammit! :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4zU_s6DYR8

CaptainKickass
07-30-2009, 11:38 AM
a 6'10" o lineman makes less sense than a 6'10" d lineman. someone that tall backing in toward the quarterback becomes a problem to throw over/around. wonder if he can be converted?

Not a bad idea Gary -

I mean, if we get all creative with ideas, uses, and strategies for a dude like this - I can only imagine what kinds of ideas are floating around in the meeting rooms with the professionals up in Packers HQ.

Something that bugs me tho -

When I first read about htis - his weight was listed as 325
When I next read about this - his weight was listed as 340
Then I saw a blurb today in a JSO bit (here: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/52032117.html )
talking about his Aug 11th workout with the Pack, and his weight is listed at 335.

Doesn't anyone in professional sports have an accurate scale for weighing the player?

However - and more to Gary's point - it's worth mentioning that Peter Fields played both on the Offense as well as the Defense in his 2 seasons with the IFL Roughnecks. They just have him listed as an Offensive Lineman on their depth chart.

Also worthy of note is that in that same blurb the hint that GB is not the only team who is interested and will have him in to workout.

Ballboy
07-30-2009, 11:44 AM
I think he is better for DL...DT would be sweet, how could you throw around that?

Kick blocking for FG's as well, especially long attempts!

CaptainKickass
07-30-2009, 12:25 PM
I think he is better for DL...DT would be sweet, how could you throw around that?

Kick blocking for FG's as well, especially long attempts!

I don't think he'd be a NT - not in the 3-4 anyway. He just doesn't have the fat that every other 3-4 NT has. Maybe in the 4-3 alignment ala Santana Dotson (Height: 6-5 Weight: 287). Perhaps DE in the 3-4?

Hell - i dunno.

MadScientist
07-30-2009, 01:01 PM
When I first read about this - his weight was listed as 325
When I next read about this - his weight was listed as 340
Then I saw a blurb today in a JSO bit (here: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/52032117.html )
talking about his Aug 11th workout with the Pack, and his weight is listed at 335.

Doesn't anyone in professional sports have an accurate scale for weighing the player?

The scales are fine, it's just when they are used. The first reading was before breakfast, the second was after lunch :D

For OPF:
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/uc/20090726/lft090726.gif

swede
07-30-2009, 02:31 PM

It'd be difficult to get a stable weight on a guy that ginormous. One of his bowel movements would weigh more than Garo Yepremian.