PDA

View Full Version : My thread is locked; can't bump for I told you so

CaliforniaCheez
07-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Please Mr. Moderator whoever you are.

Unlock this thread

http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=17950&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Maybe all the overreactions, insults, and name calling can stop.

Rastak
07-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Please Mr. Moderator whoever you are.

Unlock this thread

http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=17950&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Maybe all the overreactions, insults, and name calling can stop.

I feel for ya. Perhaps you could just make your point again? Might entail more typing though.

mission
07-28-2009, 09:39 PM
Maybe no one cares.

For your "told ya so" ... ?

How oxymoronic, why the negativity?

'sides, this thang ain't over til the season is over.

CaliforniaCheez
07-28-2009, 09:42 PM
Did you see some of the stupid and unthinking media parroting comments in that thread??

mission
07-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Did you see some of the stupid and unthinking media parroting comments in that thread??

Yeah, but what do you expect... it's the internet, "keep it movin" ;-)

mraynrand
07-28-2009, 09:54 PM
This thread is not sagacious.

Lurker64
07-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Really, is "haha... gotcha, told you so... in your face" really the sort of thing we want to encourage in this forum in order to cultivate a less contentious atmosphere?

SnakeLH2006
07-29-2009, 01:45 AM
Really, is "haha... gotcha, told you so... in your face" really the sort of thing we want to encourage in this forum in order to cultivate a less contentious atmosphere?

QFT. This forum has been really positive, and slam-free without the jaded rips for the past few weeks. Why go back to that slop? :beat: :huh:

Tarlam!
07-29-2009, 02:25 AM

Actually, I gotta ask "Why not?". That's the prize when you win a debate, isn't it? The satisfaction of rubbing your opponents nose in the proverbial dirt. Not all of us relect silently when we've won an argument.

As long as the "gotcha" isn't a personal attack, I don't see it as discouraging a less contentious atmosphere.

Patler
07-29-2009, 06:00 AM

Actually, I gotta ask "Why not?". That's the prize when you win a debate, isn't it? The satisfaction of rubbing your opponents nose in the proverbial dirt. Not all of us relect silently when we've won an argument.

As long as the "gotcha" isn't a personal attack, I don't see it as discouraging a less contentious atmosphere.

I never tolerated it in my kids, or in the athletic teams with which I was associated. Respect for your opponent, even when you win, is the more honorable path whether it is in a physical contest or a mental one.

mraynrand
07-29-2009, 07:17 AM

I never tolerated it in my kids, or in the athletic teams with which I was associated. Respect for your opponent, even when you win, is the more honorable path whether it is in a physical contest or a mental one.

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/Patlerized.jpg

Bretsky
07-29-2009, 07:31 AM
Seeing I'm usually right in my debates :lol: I try not to rub things in too much

Act like you've been there. Like Barry Sanders

Tarlam!
07-29-2009, 09:54 AM
http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/Patlerized.jpg

Nice pic. You do realize that i coined the phrase that just bit me in the ass, right?

Tarlam!
07-29-2009, 10:02 AM
Respect for your opponent, even when you win, is the more honorable path whether it is in a physical contest or a mental one.

You're suggesting, I believe, saying "gotcha" is the automatic equivilant of being disrespectful? Interesting point of view.

I disagree. The NFL has fairly stringent rules on fairplay when celebrating a first down, a stop or a TD, right? But, the players still may celebrate a positive play. That's not being disrespectful, that's being proud, happy etc.

Closer to home, I think a poster claiming a victory in any given debate is akin to having an opponent "say uncle" on the mat. It's difficult to be gracious in victory if the opponent hasn't conceded.

Administrator
07-29-2009, 10:16 AM
Closer to home, I think a poster claiming a victory in any given debate is akin to having an opponent "say uncle" on the mat. It's difficult to be gracious in victory if the opponent hasn't conceded.

It is easier to be disrespectful in defeat, if you've never met the person. If everyone behaved the way they do in real life, we could agree, but they don't.

Sorry Cheese, I'm not going to unlock the thread. I am not a big fan of "see I told you so", even though in this instance you are right. It can just lead to more dissention, and we don't need anymore of that. I also don't think it will lead to any "healing" at all, for reasons expressed above.

Scott Campbell
07-29-2009, 10:18 AM
Seeing I'm usually right in my debates :lol: I try not to rub things in too much

Act like you've been there. Like Odell Thurman.

Fixed.

Patler
07-29-2009, 10:19 AM
Respect for your opponent, even when you win, is the more honorable path whether it is in a physical contest or a mental one.

You're suggesting, I believe, saying "gotcha" is the automatic equivilant of being disrespectful? Interesting point of view.

I disagree. The NFL has fairly stringent rules on fairplay when celebrating a first down, a stop or a TD, right? But, the players still may celebrate a positive play. That's not being disrespectful, that's being proud, happy etc.

Actually, I was referring to this:

The satisfaction of rubbing your opponents nose in the proverbial dirt. Not all of us relect silently when we've won an argument.
Rubbing someone's nose in the dirt is more than a simple "gotcha", and to be honest I have not seen too many simple "gotchas" on this or any other fan site. It tends to be more "nose rubbing"! :lol:

I don't have problems with player celebrations that are spontaneous, but most now sre planned and even rehearsed. I would stop all of those, but that's just me.

Scott Campbell
07-29-2009, 10:21 AM

Yeah, I try to lead by example. That's why I've always taken the high road with Harlan and Woody.

vince
07-29-2009, 10:26 AM

Yeah, I try to lead by example. That's why I've always taken the high road with Harlan and Woody.
:lol: You're truly a great leader Campbell. Keep up the good work.

CaliforniaCheez
07-29-2009, 10:53 AM

It is easier to be disrespectful in defeat, if you've never met the person. If everyone behaved the way they do in real life, we could agree, but they don't.

Sorry Cheese, I'm not going to unlock the thread. I am not a big fan of "see I told you so", even though in this instance you are right. It can just lead to more dissention, and we don't need anymore of that. I also don't think it will lead to any "healing" at all, for reasons expressed above.

My point in the original thread was that people should not calling a former Packer Great shameful names for no reason. It was an attempt to limit the dissent and somehow, if well done, to get sheep to stop following the media with a ring in their nose and think for themselves.

The whole point of the original thread wass there never was a need for any "healing".
There was never any hurt!!

Brett Favre was traded into Green Bay for a first round pick and traded out for a 3rd round pick, less a 7th. For the difference in that price the Packers got 16 years of consistent starting and some entertaining football.

The Brett Favre era is closed. It is one that the fans should remember for the major accmplishments.

Every news organization across the country put out Favre stories to sell web hits. Most of those terrible "stories" never had a source and should never have been printed.

People jumped to wild conclusions before any facts. You should not turn on anybody like was done without cause. What real reason is there to turn on one of the Packers former fine players?

Do you throw your friends under the bus on rumor alone?

One last thing.

Never, ever, underestimate the Vikings capacity for failure and blunder when pressure is applied.

Now for those of you in need of healing your own vicious rumor mongering souls, let it begin. You should control your thinking and emotions and not let them be manipulated by rumors, inuendo, and the media.

My conscience is clear and I think for myself. The media does not control me.

Patler
07-29-2009, 11:13 AM
My point in the original thread was that people should not calling a former Packer Great shameful names for no reason. It was an attempt to limit the dissent and somehow, if well done, to get sheep to stop following the media with a ring in their nose and think for themselves.

The whole point of the original thread wass there never was a need for any "healing".

Brett Favre was traded into Green Bay for a first round pick and traded out for a 3rd round pick, less a 7th. For the difference in that price the Packers got 16 years of consistent starting and some entertaining football.

The Brett Favre era is closed. It is one that the fans should remember for the major accmplishments.

Every news organization across the country put out Favre stories to sell web hits. Most of those terrible "stories" never had a source and should never have been printed.

People jumped to wild conclusions before any facts. You should not turn on anybody like was done without cause. What real reason is there to turn on one of the Packers former fine players?

One last thing.

Never, ever, underestimate the Vikings capacity for failure and blunder when pressure is applied.

Now for those of you in need of healing your own vicious rumor mongering souls, let it begin. You should control your thinking and emotions and not let them be manipulated by rumors, inuendo, and the media.

What do you mean, "There was never any hurt!" ? Clearly there was for some fans. Maybe not for you, or me, or many others; but for some there was.

The things Favre did and said over the last 14-15 months are more than rumor, innuendo or media manipulation. Clearly these things bothered some Packer fans, and yes, they felt hurt. It is not up to you or me to decide if someone else is hurt or not, even if we are not.

If you feel the need to adore and exhalt Favre simply because he was a Packer, why is it so hard to understand those who would hold it against him for saying things or doing things harmful to the team? It is their right to despise him for recent actions just as much as it is your right to revere him for his earlier actions.

Personally, I think much too much is made of all athletes by the fans, whether pro or con.

CaptainKickass
07-29-2009, 11:21 AM

One last thing.

I see your point Cali - but as I read through that, I think you were the one who spoke out of emotion.

People are entertained by drama. The writers stretched it out, and created additional drama to sell advertising. True.

But I equate this whole bit to a daytime soap opera - but with more of a lean to the testosterone male. I'm pretty sure you could care less about how someone feels about Dr. Stitchemup leaving the hospital because of his love triangle between Mrs. Sluttymilf and the new nurse intern Ms. Yunga-Hotta is playing out on the tv show.

Just because we enjoy drama - doesn't mean we're somehow under the "spell" and "control" of mass media and cannot think & feel independently.

It means we're human, and we enjoy a good drawn out story, with a hero, who has maybe joined the "dark side", plot twists, and "he said - she said", and lets not forget that football rumors are usually an attempt to break news to others first.

TheRaven
08-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Think of Favre like a relationship. You start seeing this girl and it turns into a long marriage filled with a few downs, but mostly nothing but good times. Then the last few years, she tells you she isn't sure her heart is in the marriage anymore. She decides time and time again, at the last moment, to stick it out with you, but its obvious she isn't really sure what she wants. But you respect that and give her the space needed to make that decision.

She finally decides she doesn't want to be with you anymore and you, once again, respect that decision and decide to finally move on yourself. A few weeks later, she once again comes to you and states she wants to give it one more try. You tell her that you respect that, but you are sorry and have moved on with your life. You can't continue to put yourself through this.

So, she decides to slut it up with the loud, annoying co-worker in your office. Is she doing anything 'wrong' persay? No. But it still hurts to see it.

hoosier
08-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Nice analogy! :lol:

Scott Campbell
08-04-2009, 10:24 AM
So, she decides to slut it up with the loud, annoying co-worker in your office.

So Brett is like a football slut? :lol:

Ok, I buy that.

Fritz
08-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Having said "no" to the Vikes after the months of "maybe," I submit that he is more like a tease.

woodbuck27
08-04-2009, 07:51 PM

One last thing.

For the past week your thoughts align with what I've felt and feel.

The attitude that some posters had here towords a Packer great was way beyond comprehension. Worse the way they used their weak emotions as a catalyst to stalking and ridiculing some people who post here was IMO just a reflection of their ways and their obsessive needs for more to come.

How better to stir their pot then to secure the focus on one of the most recognizable and respected Pro athletes in all of sports.

I just hope we all have done some soul searching over this issue. The bottom line. Brett Favre's decision should also go a long ways towords uniting Packer Nation again.

GO PACKERS!

Cheesehead Craig
08-18-2009, 01:43 PM
:oops:

hoosier
08-18-2009, 01:46 PM
Ah, back to civil war again.... :lol:

MichiganPackerFan
08-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Ah, back to civil war again.... :lol:

We need to stop the Pack on Pack crime.

Fritz
08-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Okay, Cali Cheese, here's what you wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:27 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

"I hope all the jerks who insulted him and actually thought he would join the vikings apologize."

So, many of us "jerks" who actually did think he would join the Vikings would like to know how you like your crow. Because your comment above deserves heaping platefuls.

So I will indulge my inner child and attempt to rub your nose in your insult of those of us who did feel Favre would sign with the Vikings, and that along the way he would look out for his interests and only his interests while pretending he cared about others.

However, it occurs to me that Favre being Favre, he may well play this week and then decide he can't do it and then quit - er, retire - again. In that case, you will then come back at us "jerks," and rub our noses in it.

And of course, Favre being Favre, this could continue for some time.

Let the games begin!

cheesner
08-18-2009, 02:54 PM
never mind