PDA

View Full Version : Heat Wave in Pacific Northwest

oregonpackfan
07-29-2009, 09:29 AM
Yesterday, the temp hit 106 in Portland, just one degree lower than its all-time high.

I realize 106 is not unusual in places where Tyrone and Scott Campbell live, but it is extremely rare out here. Many homes here do not even have air-conditioning.

What is it like in your part of the country?

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20090729/US.Northwest.Heat/

hoosier
07-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Yikes, the Pacific Northwest sounds like a minor region of hell. This summer in southern Indiana has been unusually wet and cool, probably the coolest in recent memory. We've had maybe two or three days above 90F, and more typically in the 70s. (Normally our summers are on a par with Washington DC: hot, muggy and buggy.)

Freak Out
07-29-2009, 11:26 AM
I've been down a few times the last month OPF and feel for ya.

CaptainKickass
07-29-2009, 12:12 PM
It's gonna be record breaking 104+ degrees in Seattle proper today.

Last time anything close to that was recorded was in 1860something according to the news.

Air conditioners are sold out - everywhere. People are waiting in lines longer than a rock show to try to get one.
Fans are selling at record numbers, and at record prices too.

Everything related to staying cool has gone up in price.

Any city/community type place that has air conditioning is being opened as a "cooling center". Libraries, churches, VFW halls, etc etc.

I'm just waiting for there to be an "incident" where someone grabs the last fan or A/C unit at the same time as someone else and then a riot-like altercation breaks out. When humans are miserable, especially due to heat, they can be incredibly miserable to others.

On a positive note - the press and media has been calling to everyone to check in on their neighbors, look out for the elderly and/or disabled, and lend a hand when you can. I don't think that will have a huge affect, but it's way better than just reporting on the guy who got arrested for beating the other guy who took his air conditioner.

retailguy
07-29-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm leaving for Seattle on Friday. Hopefully it'll pass by then, and, I'll miss the heat as it moves East. :P :wink:

Having lived in Washington in a house with no air, wow, I remember... You don't need it often out there, but when you do, it's miserable...

CaptainKickass
07-29-2009, 12:19 PM
Here's a little blurb from the local Seattle weather guy:

If we break that 100-degree record, this will be the hottest that Seattle has been in recorded history. AIR STAGNANTION ADVISORY posted through Thursday evening as well. Air quality is deteriorating in King, Pierce, Snohomish & Kitsap Counties. The worst air quality today is in the Cascade Foothills where it is "Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups." People with asthma and other breathing difficulties should stay indoors today

The northwest is weird in that when it gets hot, air stops moving.

Retailguy - it's supposed to be back into the 80 degree area by the weekend.

retailguy
07-29-2009, 12:57 PM
Praise the Lord!

I'm delighted to hear that. I've been looking forward to this trip for a while now. The best time of the year to be in the Northwest.... usually.

Freak Out
07-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Having lived in Seattle it is just so out there to see weather like that. The pacific isn't doing it's job!

retailguy
07-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Having lived in Seattle it is just so out there to see weather like that. The pacific isn't doing it's job!

It's global warming, of that I'm sure. :roll: :wink:

mraynrand
07-29-2009, 01:18 PM

It's climate change. Didn't you get the memo?

retailguy
07-29-2009, 02:24 PM

It's climate change. Didn't you get the memo?

No, I'm on the "do not notify" list. Most days, I'm ok with that.

MichiganPackerFan
07-30-2009, 07:41 AM
I'm stuck in tax season so while you all get hot and sunny, I get 70 and florescent!