PDA

View Full Version : DeShawn Wynn

packers11
07-29-2009, 11:03 PM
www.rotoworld.com

Packers No. 3 tailback DeShawn Wynn's "stock may be at an all-time high with the organization," according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

The paper forsees Wynn giving Brandon Jackson a run for the top backup spot in camp. Wynn is in the best shape of his career, but it remains to be seen if he can overcome nagging injuries. He's been the opposite of durable.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Thoughts???

I never thought he'd even be considered at taking the #2 spot... Its going to be an interesting battle between him and Lumpkin...

Lurker64
07-30-2009, 02:06 AM
Wynn has a ton of talent, he just has the proverbial "ten cent head on a million dollar body" and he's constantly nicked.

*HOWEVER*, if he can avoid the injury bug and he's got his priorities straight and has committed himself totally to excellence on the football field, he could be great. Generally, the sense that he's unlikely to suddenly smarten up and get healthy was the reason people were down on him, but there's no reason physically that he couldn't be a great running back.

Tarlam!
07-30-2009, 03:59 AM
The knock on Wynn during that year's draft was his work ethic and character issues, IIRC.

Add the injury history and there's a recipe for "talent alone won't get you there", I'm afraid.

To take the #2 spot, Wynn will need to overcome his reputation first, then stay healthy and THEN let his talent take over.

To date, Jackson's only miscue has been through lack of experience in his first season and lack of opportunities in his second.

MichiganPackerFan
07-30-2009, 07:57 AM
The knock on Wynn during that year's draft was his work ethic and character issues, IIRC.

I've seen the injuries, but I have seen nothing that compromises his character. Have I missed something?

SkinBasket
07-30-2009, 08:20 AM

I've seen the injuries, but I have seen nothing that compromises his character. Have I missed something?

Waving on a replacement and leaving the field every time he ran more than 5 yards indicated he wasn't terribly mentally committed and didn't care he was selling his teammates - who needed a breather from actually working on the field - short, as well as being a sign that he was out of shape. I'm sure there's a lot of maturity issues the team has to deal with daily that we never get a chance to see on the field. The label's been there from the beginning, and no one from the team has ever said any different.

rbaloha1
07-30-2009, 11:24 AM
The rb situation is in goo shape. The Wynn vs. Lumpkin battle may go down to the last pre season game.

Wynn is blessed with deceptive speed and power. Its wonderful Wynn is maturing. Expect Wynn to win the #3 but not challenge Jackson for the #2.

DonHutson
07-30-2009, 04:12 PM
I've seen an out of shape guy get in shape.

I've seen someone with a poor work ethic start working harder, but not often over a sustained period.

I've never seen a pussy stop being a pussy. I'm not selling my stock in Midol quite yet.

bbbffl66
07-30-2009, 05:04 PM

I've seen someone with a poor work ethic start working harder, but not often over a sustained period.

I've never seen a pussy stop being a pussy. I'm not selling my stock in Midol quite yet.

And yet many here seem to regard Justin Harrell as the messiah of the D- :?: line

KYPack
07-30-2009, 05:12 PM

Waving on a replacement and leaving the field every time he ran more than 5 yards indicated he wasn't terribly mentally committed and didn't care he was selling his teammates - who needed a breather from actually working on the field - short, as well as being a sign that he was out of shape. I'm sure there's a lot of maturity issues the team has to deal with daily that we never get a chance to see on the field. The label's been there from the beginning, and no one from the team has ever said any different.

Well, Skin, I dunno. I didn't see him do that a lot. Was that in '07 when the IR'd him when he was our leading rusher? The guy ran for 78 yards vs the Bears two years ago. He got over 100 against the Lions in '08. Kid's got power, some shake, and speed. they've cut his ass a few times so now he knows this is all real. Maybe he'll grow up and help us.

cheesner
07-30-2009, 05:14 PM

And yet many here seem to regard Justin Harrell as the messiah of the D- :?: line

You mean the same Justin Harrell who, though he tore a bicep muscle, insisted on playing the very next week through extreme pain because his team needed him and it was a huge game?

The same Justin Harrell who is the only Tenn player to be given Reggie White's number because of his extreme dedication, his commitment to working out, and leadership qualities?

Are you calling him a pussy? Out of shape? A poor work ethic?

Patler
07-30-2009, 05:22 PM

You mean the same Justin Harrell who, though he tore a bicep muscle, insisted on playing the very next week through extreme pain because his team needed him and it was a huge game?

The same Justin Harrell who is the only Tenn player to be given Reggie White's number because of his extreme dedication, his commitment to working out, and leadership qualities?

Are you calling him a pussy? Out of shape? A poor work ethic?

And the same Justin Harrell who was allowed to do nothing more than ride a stationary bike because of his back surgery last year, yet lost more weight than the trainers planned? One of the trainers mentioned that he was there hours and hours everyday, longer than he was scheduled for and on days he wasn't scheduled and didn't have to be there. He said some days they had to make him stop.

Freak Out
07-30-2009, 05:25 PM
I'd be surprised if Wynn ended up winning the #2 spot behind Grant but stranger things have happened. As long as he doesn't get hurt during training camp or the pre-season he should make the team but you would have to believe that it's Jacksons job to lose. How many HBs are on the roster right now? 5-6?

Edit:5

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2009, 05:29 PM
I've seen the injuries, but I have seen nothing that compromises his character. Have I missed something? The label's been there from the beginning, and no one from the team has ever said any different.

Edgar Bennett began giving glowing evals of Wynn last season.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/33284454.html

The character and conditioning stuff is a bad rap stuck in the minds of certain fans of bad character and probably poor conditioning.

bobblehead
07-30-2009, 07:10 PM

Well, Skin, I dunno. I didn't see him do that a lot. Was that in '07 when the IR'd him when he was our leading rusher? The guy ran for 78 yards vs the Bears two years ago. He got over 100 against the Lions in '08. Kid's got power, some shake, and speed. they've cut his ass a few times so now he knows this is all real. Maybe he'll grow up and help us.

It was indeed '07 and he did it often. I still think MM put him on IR because he kept being "hurt". He appealed the injury up until someone told him he would be cut and lose his check if he appealed it IIRC.

PackerPro42
07-31-2009, 11:30 AM
I'd actually like to see all four of the RB's (Grant, Jackson, Wynn, and Lumpkin) make the roster this year. IMO RB is one of the most physically demanding positions and it never hurts to have good depth at a position like that.

As far as Wynn taking the #2 spot behind Grant, I don't foresee that happening. Even when he was the Packers leading rusher his rookie year, he looked extremely slow to play the position IMO. I'm not saying he didn't show spurts of talent or that he couldn't have improved upon that, but I believe Jackson is a better all-around back.

hoosier
07-31-2009, 12:41 PM
I'd actually like to see all four of the RB's (Grant, Jackson, Wynn, and Lumpkin) make the roster this year. IMO RB is one of the most physically demanding positions and it never hurts to have good depth at a position like that.

As far as Wynn taking the #2 spot behind Grant, I don't foresee that happening. Even when he was the Packers leading rusher his rookie year, he looked extremely slow to play the position IMO. I'm not saying he didn't show spurts of talent or that he couldn't have improved upon that, but I believe Jackson is a better all-around back.

Wynn is faster than Brandon Jackson. Slowness is not his problem. If Jackson has an edge over Wynn it's that he's more mature, more dedicated, and more reliable--something none of us casual observers are really in a position to judge.

Gunakor
08-01-2009, 05:30 AM

There are some that think Jackson is the best all-around back on our roster.

I personally saw more from Lumpkin in very limited opportunity than I saw from Wynn in slightly greater opportunity. The only substantial gain Wynn has been credited with was a result of an uncalled blatant holding penalty (on Daryn Colledge I believe) against Chicago in 2007. If I were to make a depth chart based solely on what I've seen from each of them on gameday, I'd list Grant #1, Jackson #2, Lumpkin #3, and Wynn #4. I might even stash Wynn on the PS to make room for another ST's guy, particularly if it's a ST's standout that would otherwise lose a roster spot (a Jason Hunter type player). I am not a Wynn fan, and wouldn't feel comfortable using him in a game situation unless 2005 strikes again and we find ourselves using #4's and #5's to start games late in the season. But that's me.

VegasPackFan
08-01-2009, 12:30 PM
There's a reason the Packers keep giving this guy chance after chance. In the NFL, it's all about talent. Wynn has it, they just need him to get the "rest" of the package put together.

pittstang5
08-01-2009, 07:49 PM
(sniff....sniff) You smell that? Trade bait.

KYPack
08-01-2009, 10:24 PM

There are some that think Jackson is the best all-around back on our roster.

I personally saw more from Lumpkin in very limited opportunity than I saw from Wynn in slightly greater opportunity. The only substantial gain Wynn has been credited with was a result of an uncalled blatant holding penalty (on Daryn Colledge I believe) against Chicago in 2007. If I were to make a depth chart based solely on what I've seen from each of them on gameday, I'd list Grant #1, Jackson #2, Lumpkin #3, and Wynn #4. I might even stash Wynn on the PS to make room for another ST's guy, particularly if it's a ST's standout that would otherwise lose a roster spot (a Jason Hunter type player). I am not a Wynn fan, and wouldn't feel comfortable using him in a game situation unless 2005 strikes again and we find ourselves using #4's and #5's to start games late in the season. But that's me.

Well, er, ah, No.

Wynn has two long runs in his GB career. Against Detroit in 2008, Wynn ran 73 yards down the right sideline for a touchdown midway through the first quarter. The TD run was the longest of his career and the longest run by the Packers on the season. That's an accomplishment in a regular season division game and that counts for something.

Actually, I'd rate Lumpkin and Wynn about dead even, but…

Lumpkin sat out most of two seasons of college ball with serious knee injuries. Last year, he was out all season with the bad hamstring pull. Wynn has had injuries going on too, but I think Wynn has a little edge on Lumpkin.

Trade bait? Sure, I'd take a 6th for the guy we don't keep anytime. Sort of the same way we got Grant from the Giants. Some team wants to get a RB and doesn't want to gamble on a waiver deal.

SnakeLH2006
08-02-2009, 01:12 AM

I don't think you've missed anything, as Tarlam! was referring to the scouts before the draft I believe. It's pretty easy to google a search on Wynn and his supposed "character issues" and "hard to coach" persona that led to his falling stock in the NFL draft. That was his biggest knock coming into the draft, as the talent is there.

Personally, Snake hasn't heard/seen any real character issues with Wynn since he came to Green Bay, although there were some reports he was pretty irate over getting IR'd his rookie year...but hell I would be pissed too, if I wanted to play.

Gunakor
08-02-2009, 02:04 AM
Well, er, ah, No.

Wynn has two long runs in his GB career. Against Detroit in 2008, Wynn ran 73 yards down the right sideline for a touchdown midway through the first quarter. The TD run was the longest of his career and the longest run by the Packers on the season. That's an accomplishment in a regular season division game and that counts for something.

Lumpkin sat out most of two seasons of college ball with serious knee injuries. Last year, he was out all season with the bad hamstring pull. Wynn has had injuries going on too, but I think Wynn has a little edge on Lumpkin.

Trade bait? Sure, I'd take a 6th for the guy we don't keep anytime. Sort of the same way we got Grant from the Giants. Some team wants to get a RB and doesn't want to gamble on a waiver deal.

Forgot about the carry against the lions. It's easy to forget, I suppose. It's not to Wynn's credit that he can rattle of a 70+ yard run against one of the worst teams in the history of teams. I only remember one play from either of the lions games, and that's the long 60 yard bomb that Rodgers threw to Jennings. You know, the one that you couldn't have run up and handed the ball to Jennings any cleaner than it fell to him.

Let me amend my previous statement: Wynn has only had 2 significant runs in his career, one being a result of a blatant uncalled holding penalty on Daryn Colledge against Chicago in 2007, and one against the 2008 detoilet lions. Doesn't sound a whole lot better from my perspective.

Look, there's probably going to be a dozen backs left in the 7th round of the 2010 draft that can do what Wynn does. There probably will be a few who never get a shot in the NFL. Wynn is not that good. What has anybody seen from him at all that should warrant high hopes?

SnakeLH2006
08-02-2009, 05:06 AM
Wynn overall is garbage. Snake remembers when Wynn got winded and got caught from behind on MNF....Madden got all over it as did ESPN and for good reason....

Wynn is not as fast as most of you think. Wynn has no speed after seeing him get caught like that. 40 times are misleading if you aren't in game shape.

Patler
08-03-2009, 04:45 AM
Looks like Wynn is in pretty good shape this year. Per the JSO blog, Wynn has played at around 240 pounds with the Packers, but reported this year at 228 pounds. He hasn't been that light since early in his college career.

Perhaps the light has come on.

SkinBasket
08-03-2009, 08:16 AM
Wynn overall is garbage. Snake remembers when Wynn got winded and got caught from behind on MNF....Madden got all over it as did ESPN and for good reason....

Wynn is not as fast as most of you think. Wynn has no speed after seeing him get caught like that. 40 times are misleading if you aren't in game shape.

It's not a matter of being as fast as much as it is a matter of being in shape. Not being in shape is usually translated as an attitude/character thing, since you're being paid to be an athlete.

Waldo
08-03-2009, 08:42 AM
From Twitter:

tompelissero - Deshawn Wynn with a great blitz pickup vs. Bishop, sends the linebacker's helmet flying

hoosier
08-03-2009, 08:50 AM
Well, er, ah, No.

Forgot about the carry against the lions. It's easy to forget, I suppose. It's not to Wynn's credit that he can rattle of a 70+ yard run against one of the worst teams in the history of teams. I only remember one play from either of the lions games, and that's the long 60 yard bomb that Rodgers threw to Jennings. You know, the one that you couldn't have run up and handed the ball to Jennings any cleaner than it fell to him.

Let me amend my previous statement: Wynn has only had 2 significant runs in his career, one being a result of a blatant uncalled holding penalty on Daryn Colledge against Chicago in 2007, and one against the 2008 detoilet lions. Doesn't sound a whole lot better from my perspective.

Look, there's probably going to be a dozen backs left in the 7th round of the 2010 draft that can do what Wynn does. There probably will be a few who never get a shot in the NFL. Wynn is not that good. What has anybody seen from him at all that should warrant high hopes?

You could argue that the long run against Detroit should come with an asterix. Looking at the replay, once Wynn gets past the first down line and into the Lions secondary there's NO ONE pursuing him for the last 60 yards of the run. Either the WR blocking on the play was absolutely phenomenal or the entire defense just gave up. A more significant play (though not technically a run) was the shovel pass Wynn took from Favre and turned into a 30+ yard gain late in a close game against the Eagles in 2007. He bailed the team out on a 3rd down in what was really a busted play.

42 seconds into the video.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8022c32b/Week-1-Brett-Favre-highlights

KYPack
08-03-2009, 09:04 AM
It will be a real battle for that spot. Lumpkin is a good hand, also. But he has one NFL carry for 19 yards. And under the newly enacted "good plays against the Lions don't count because the Lions suck" rule, that carry was in a Lions game so it doesn't count.

Lumpkins main claim to fame is impressive. He beat out Wynn, Money Morency, and Herron for the last RB spot last fall. That's a big accomplishment for a FA RB.

It will come down to RB play, ST ability and knowlege of the offense, espec blitz pickup as to who makes the roster. My money is on Wynn, but I well could be wrong.

We'll see.

Waldo
08-03-2009, 09:07 AM
Well, er, ah, No.

You could argue that the long run against Detroit should come with an asterix. Looking at the replay, once Wynn gets past the first down line and into the Lions secondary there's NO ONE pursuing him for the last 60 yards of the run. Either the WR blocking on the play was absolutely phenomenal or the entire defense just gave up. A more significant play (though not technically a run) was the shovel pass Wynn took from Favre and turned into a 30+ yard gain late in a close game against the Eagles in 2007. He bailed the team out on a 3rd down in what was really a busted play.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8022c32b/Week-1-Brett-Favre-highlights

Did you miss the one man bulldozer known as Daryn Colledge, who was the main lead blocker on the play (Wynn didn't get by him until he was 10-20 yards downfield)? DC started at RT and put 4 defenders on the ground while out in front of Wynn.

hoosier
08-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Well, er, ah, No.

Did you miss the one man bulldozer known as Daryn Colledge, who was the main lead blocker on the play (Wynn didn't get by him until he was 10-20 yards downfield)? DC started at RT and put 4 defenders on the ground while out in front of Wynn.

I just looked more closely at the replay and you're right, College does take out four Lions on that play. To be fair, two of the four get tangled up with falling teammates. Still an impressive lead to follow. If I had to pick a metaphor I'm not sure whether bulldozing or bowling is more apt. :lol:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/09000d5d80dacf19/WK-17-Can-t-Miss-Play-Open-Wynn-dow

Waldo
08-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Well, er, ah, No.

I just looked more closely at the replay and you're right, College does take out four Lions on that play. To be fair, two of the four get tangled up with falling teammates. Still an impressive lead to follow. If I had to pick a metaphor I'm not sure whether bulldozing or bowling is more apt. :lol:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/09000d5d80dacf19/WK-17-Can-t-Miss-Play-Open-Wynn-dow

I hope Barbre can bring that dimension to RT, Tausher just couldn't do that, he wasn't nearly fast enough to get out to the sidelines and then keep going down the sideline. Plus DC excels at planting defenders on their rears quickly. Barbre has the speed to make it work.

Patler
08-03-2009, 11:00 AM

I hope Barbre can bring that dimension to RT, Tausher just couldn't do that, he wasn't nearly fast enough to get out to the sidelines and then keep going down the sideline. Plus DC excels at planting defenders on their rears quickly. Barbre has the speed to make it work.

From a Chad Clifton interview (after saying he misses Tauscher):

"As far as raw talent, this line is one of the best I've played on. "Allen Barbre is one of the most athletic linemen that's ever been on the team. As camp goes along there's some young guys that will solidify it."

Incidentally, Clifton said he is down 15 pounds from his normal playing weight. Thought lighter might be better for his knees. He claims to be feeling better than he has in years, after having four off season surgeries, both knees in January and both shoulders in February.

Waldo
08-03-2009, 11:26 AM
Barbre OTOH said his weight is back up. Last year he gained muscle at the expense of bulk, and came into camp at 290, this year with the new S&C coach, he's back up to 305.

BallHawk
08-03-2009, 11:30 AM
DeShawn is no better than Arliss Beach.

Waldo
08-03-2009, 11:47 AM

He looked great that one year, practically everybody had high hopes for him going into his second camp.

And he fell flat on his face. It was bad. Beach was terrible on the second go round.

Wynn has been a lot better than some people think. He's one of our best at blitz pickups. His career average is 5.4 ypc. He averages a TD on 8.6% of his carries (5 TD's in 58 carries) (compared to Grant's 2.4% (12 TD's in 500 carries) and Jackson's 1.7% (2 TD's in 120 carries)). In actual football games Wynn has performed very well.

Patler
08-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Barbre OTOH said his weight is back up. Last year he gained muscle at the expense of bulk, and came into camp at 290, this year with the new S&C coach, he's back up to 305.

Wells has reshaped himself too. He said his weight and strength are at all-time highs.

BallHawk
08-03-2009, 12:39 PM

He looked great that one year, practically everybody had high hopes for him going into his second camp.

And he fell flat on his face. It was bad. Beach was terrible on the second go round.

I remember he had one great camp and then hurt himself in the preseason (leg?) and they put him on IR. I seem to remember that they released him sometime after the season ended. I don't remember him getting a second training camp.

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Wynn has been a lot better than some people think. He's one of our best at blitz pickups. His career average is 5.4 ypc. He averages a TD on 8.6% of his carries (5 TD's in 58 carries) (compared to Grant's 2.4% (12 TD's in 500 carries) and Jackson's 1.7% (2 TD's in 120 carries)). In actual football games Wynn has performed very well.

These are the best cherry pickin' stats I've seen in awhile. The dude had eight runs last year. Seven of them were against the 0-16 Lions. He had a 73 yards run against them. Take away that one run and his career ypc is 4.2. He averaged 4.1 ypc in 2007. He ran for 4 yards on his one carry before the Lions game. I have no doubt he could average 4.1 ypc. (Most guys can with the right OL.) It's whether he can stay on the field long enough to be more than a tease.

hoosier
08-03-2009, 01:40 PM

I remember he had one great camp and then hurt himself in the preseason (leg?) and they put him on IR. I seem to remember that they released him sometime after the season ended. I don't remember him getting a second training camp.

IIRC he was only with the Packers for one preseason and got cut before the 2007 camp after they signed BJax. If anyone has a burning desire to know more about Arliss Beach than you learn from Wikipedia, there's a forum where you can feast on internet rumors about his girlfriend, or his lack of girlfriend, or his having too many girlfriends. http://www.talk-sports.net/nfl/girlfriend.aspx/Arliss_Beach

Waldo
08-03-2009, 01:52 PM

These are the best cherry pickin' stats I've seen in awhile. The dude had eight runs last year. Seven of them were against the 0-16 Lions. He had a 73 yards run against them. Take away that one run and his career ypc is 4.2. He averaged 4.1 ypc in 2007. He ran for 4 yards on his one carry before the Lions game. I have no doubt he could average 4.1 ypc. (Most guys can with the right OL.) It's whether he can stay on the field long enough to be more than a tease.

Cherry picking stats? YPA, and TDPA are considered the best stats to gauge the ability of a running back. Those are simple career #'s I gave.

Call it flukes or whatever all you want, fact is in 58 career carries, he has averaged 5.4 YPC and .086 TDPC, both of which are very good numbers. Take away Barry's long ones and he would look horrible. Wynn has carried the ball less than half as much as Jackson, yet has scored more than twice as much. Scoring is a special trait IMO for skill player, and unlike our other backs, Wynn can score.

SkinBasket
08-03-2009, 01:54 PM
IIRC he was only with the Packers for one preseason and got cut before the 2007 camp after they signed BJax. If anyone has a burning desire to know more about Arliss Beach than you learn from Wikipedia, there's a forum where you can feast on internet rumors about his girlfriend, or his lack of girlfriend, or his having too many girlfriends. http://www.talk-sports.net/nfl/girlfriend.aspx/Arliss_Beach

Hahaha! Thanks hoosier, that was actually kind of funny. An on-line ho fight about who gets to be Arliss Beach's whore while random visitors mock them. What could be better than such chunks of human wisdom as this:

The bottom line is Arliss Beach is crazy.. He must really have some deep rooted insecurities to feel he needs to have so many females in his life at one time. He never even stopped to think about them or their feelings .. If he loved or cared for any of you then he would never have destroyed so many peoples lives..

If Arliss Beach has the power to destroy people's lives, we're all fucked.

run pMc
08-03-2009, 02:13 PM
YPA, and TDPA are considered the best stats to gauge the ability of a running back.

I agree to a point here. They certainly are good stats to use as a starting point.

Statistically speaking, I don't think 58 carries is a large enough sample size to gauge if he's a starter back, for example. If Wynn put up those numbers with ~100 carries this season I'd think otherwise.

I wouldn't put him as the #1 RB over Grant even though the YPA and TDPA stats provided are higher for Wynn.

Another mitigating factor is some coaches employ a goal-line back. Didn't M3 try that a few times with Kuhn or a QB sneak w/ Rodgers?

Either way, I'm hoping we see Grant get his burst and the RB depth/quality improve (w/ or w/o Wynn).

BallHawk
08-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Just read Bedard's training camp blog and sounds like Wynn, once again, stood out. Made some good blocks. McCarthy said that he is "very, very impressed" with Wynn.

If he keeps this up, Brandon Jackson is gonna have to step it up.

Partial
08-03-2009, 06:24 PM
"Very, very impressed with DeShawn Wynn." Direct quote from mccarthy

KYPack
08-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Hold on.

Wynn is vying for the 3rd spot at RB. Grant starts, BJack backs up and runs some third down stuff. Wynn easily beats out Lumpkin to get the 3 spot. Those two guys (Lumpkin, Wynn) are real close physically, but Wynn has the edge based on his play last season.

Lumpkin would have to go off big time to get the roster spot. They will try to put Lumpkin on PS, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get picked up.

Fritz
08-03-2009, 08:48 PM

Hahaha! Thanks hoosier, that was actually kind of funny. An on-line ho fight about who gets to be Arliss Beach's whore while random visitors mock them. What could be better than such chunks of human wisdom as this:

The bottom line is Arliss Beach is crazy.. He must really have some deep rooted insecurities to feel he needs to have so many females in his life at one time. He never even stopped to think about them or their feelings .. If he loved or cared for any of you then he would never have destroyed so many peoples lives..

If Arliss Beach has the power to destroy people's lives, we're all fucked.

All of this reminds me of Torrance Marshall.

pbmax
08-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Did you two kids go to the submarine races in Sturgeon Bay? :lol:

SnakeLH2006
08-05-2009, 01:02 AM

Wasn't he a cheerleader or something for Green Bay...or Shermy's illegitimate son? Either way, Snake has it on good source that he was Fergy's roommate at some point. :shock: :lol:

Fritz
08-05-2009, 04:35 PM
He was a third round pick, I think, sold as a poor man's Lawrence Taylor, but he was in fact a poor man's Brian Bosworth.

He was a linebacker. Er, a fullback. No, a linebacker. Or something.

Partial
08-07-2009, 12:38 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/52627567.html

SkinBasket
08-07-2009, 07:25 AM
A lot of this sounds like the linebacker stories. Every spring we have an avalanche of fluff pieces talking about how wonderfully so-and-so is preforming in pads, how much progress whatshisnuts has made since last year's disappointing outing, and how many positions are up for grabs. Everyone gets excited, starts shooting their load in their pants, and most importantly, they keep reading.

Then they play exhibition games and it turns out that some of these guys have been working at peak efficiency in practice in order to impress the coaches while the starters have been trying not to get injured so they don't spend an entire season playing with a rib cage injury... for example. Some guys had a good practice or two, got a couple great write ups that ignored their less glamorous moments, and then bring that same inconsistency to the exhibition games and get grilled for it. Some guys just suck ass when there's an actual game to be played.

Wynn has the best chance to gain playing time since splitting time at RB is probably the preferred arrangement at the position. It'll be great if he has improved, but until they play against another team, I'm not getting to worked up about it. Even then, I think I'll temper my excitement about the emergence of Wynn as the next great RB until he shows he can produce yards on the field instead of on the exercise bike.

Fritz
08-07-2009, 10:04 AM
And Skin, don't forget either about the annual tradition of the rookie who kicks butt in exhibition games and we all speculate that he could play a significant role in the offense/defense....and then he plays special teams most of the year and when he's put in at his regular position for like two plays, he sucks.

There's always that phenomenon, too.