PDA

View Full Version : If HE is really retired, how long will HIS records last?

Patler
07-29-2009, 11:43 PM
I know we've talked about it for a couple years, but assuming Favre is done and his records are fixed, how many of his records will Peyton Manning break?

Passing TDs
Favre - 464
Manning-333

Attempts
F - 9280
M - 5960

Completions
F - 5720
M - 3839

Yardage
F - 65,127
M - 45,628

Wins
F - 169
M- 117

QB starts
F - 269
M - 176

INT
F - 310
M - 165

Manning needs just under 6 years to break the QB starts record. If he plays that long, he has a real good chance at all the other records, except interceptions. That one is way out there. Over 6 years Manning would have to average 24 ints/year to catch Favre.

I wonder how likely it is that Manning will play that long? He is 33 and would have to play when he is 38.

Cheesehead Craig
07-29-2009, 11:52 PM
I think Manning stays around for the 6 yrs to break the starting record. I can see him wanting to break that one. I wouldn't be surprised if that guy stays until he's 40. Manning really wants to be known as one of the greats of all time, IMO. SBs are always a crap shoot, but he's already got one ring and the lead in every major stat category would cement him as that legend that I think he really wants to be known as.

Tarlam!
07-30-2009, 04:03 AM
Manning is a tough guy. He's also a great competitor. He could go all the way and break 'em all except the INTs record.

Now, that would no doubt piss Favre off.

gbpackfan
07-30-2009, 06:07 AM
Manning will break every one of Favre's records EXCEPT the consecutive starts and interception record. He's the type of QB that can play for a long time but it will be very, very difficult to stay healthy that long. As he gets older his body won't react favorably to all those hits. Favre basically willed his way through the end of last season and his play reflected that. Manning will get hurt enough to miss at least one game over the next 6+ years.

MadScientist
07-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Manning will break every one of Favre's records EXCEPT the consecutive starts and interception record. He's the type of QB that can play for a long time but it will be very, very difficult to stay healthy that long. As he gets older his body won't react favorably to all those hits. Favre basically willed his way through the end of last season and his play reflected that. Manning will get hurt enough to miss at least one game over the next 6+ years.
He's a tough guy, but there is an aspect of luck as well for the consecutive starts. He nearly wasn't ready at the start of last season. Also, part of what got Favre the record is that he played when he shouldn't, as he wasn't effective in '99 with the thumb injury and there is no way he should have been starting at the end of last year. Will Manning start when he shouldn't or will he sit for the good of the team? There's a good chance he will face that decision.

Barring major injuries, I think he will break the rest of the non-int records in 7 seasons.

GrnBay007
07-30-2009, 11:35 AM
I kinda doubt he will go 6 years. He had knee surgery last year. Nobody knows what can happen after knee surgery for an athlete. Very sensitive thing.

Noodle
07-30-2009, 09:41 PM
Sassy Rat speaks truth. Favre never had the kind of injury that Manning had, especially when you add in the infection that hit him. I think 6 years of starting is not going to happen. Something will happen to screw that knee again. And I say that with great saddness, as I respect the hell out of Manning.

Patler
07-30-2009, 10:21 PM
All Manning had was bursitis that became infected, and he had it treated surgically twice, once in July and again in August. The "surgery" might have been nothing more than draining his knee. I don't think it was that big of a deal, myself. It's just that it came up so close to TC that caused the issue last year, keeping him out all of TC.

Brady's knee is the one I think may not hold up well because he had significant structural damage followed by surgical site infections that lead to further procedures.

pbmax
07-31-2009, 10:36 AM
Manning had the bursa sac removed then got an infection after the original surgery. If Manning doesn't make it 6 years or so, I would expect it to be an issue of mobility. He moves phenomenally in the pocket but not outside of it and is as slow as molasses. As he gets older, it will become an even bigger challenge.

SnakeLH2006
08-02-2009, 01:28 AM
I kinda doubt he will go 6 years. He had knee surgery last year. Nobody knows what can happen after knee surgery for an athlete. Very sensitive thing.

Quite true. There is no such thing as "minor" knee problems in the NFL, esp. for a QB.

I wondered the same thing for a long time, as it looked like sure shit that Manning would break all of Brett's records.

Snake's Take:

Personally, I thought Peyton was hitting the old age wall early last year. I was wrong, as he really put together another strong year, and got better as the season wore on.

The knee thing is bothersome, as he's always had a pretty good OL, but with FA taking it's toll with the big contracts Indy has given out over the past years, it's an even bigger issue as Peyton gets older, with a weaker OL.

Brett always had nagging injuries, but never a bad knee injury. Again, it wasn't an ACL/MCL, but for a QB like Peyton who never had much mobility, those things can kill you down the line. He'll most likely keep his quick release as that is the last thing to go (if it ever does), but losing 0.2 seconds in footspeed in the pocket for an already slow QB can be devastating.

I always thought that Manning had a quicker release than Brett, but Brett had a little better pocket agility than Peyton. Even Favre at 39, had better pocket quickness than Peyton EVER did, but it's moot as Peyton's release has always been top-notch...so it evens out, but if that pocket quickness slips even more (aging, knee issues)...that is no good for Peyton, as he'll take even more hits, and possibly start chucking up Favresque wobblers when the heat is on.

Look at Marino as he got older (very similar to Peyton in pocket awareness, quick release) but when his pocket agility slipped, he was done.

Personally, I doubt Peyton breaks the records, as his foot speed will lesson, his knee may act up, and his OL is not as strong as the past. He might do it, but doubt he lasts 6 more years. That's a long time from 33 and half years old till then.

Even the Iron Man staged off his old age for so long, but really looked it last year, so I'm glad he's not getting pancaked on the MetroTurf at 40 this year (most likely). :shock: :oops: :lol:

Gunakor
08-02-2009, 02:25 AM
Brett always had nagging injuries, but never a bad knee injury.

That's gotta be divine intervention. LaVar Arrington's hit on him several years ago would have ended many careers. Doc's said he had knees of a 25 year old, even at 35 (I think, maybe it was 34, somewhere around there). I wish I had knees of a 25 year old at 25...

SnakeLH2006
08-02-2009, 04:22 AM

That's gotta be divine intervention. LaVar Arrington's hit on him several years ago would have ended many careers. Doc's said he had knees of a 25 year old, even at 35 (I think, maybe it was 34, somewhere around there). I wish I had knees of a 25 year old at 25...

My point was Brett has some of the most amazing athletic long-term ability of any EVER in any sport. Knees are SO MAJOR for any sport, but esp. QB's.

Manning won't get there with his knees, but....Gun...you are way cool...but Snake is lost. What?

Gunakor
08-02-2009, 05:55 AM

My point was Brett has some of the most amazing athletic long-term ability of any EVER in any sport. Knees are SO MAJOR for any sport, but esp. QB's.

Manning won't get there with his knees, but....Gun...you are way cool...but Snake is lost. What?

Do you remember that hit?

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/favre/articles/favre_24338396.shtml

It was one of those hits that usually end careers. The way his knee bent... Let's just say he was damn lucky he could play the next week.

I guess the part you've bolded is my unending jealousy that I've never been in THAT good of shape no matter how hard I work at it, while the Favre's of the world are invincible even at 33/34 years old.

KYPack
08-02-2009, 08:51 AM
It was one of those hits that usually end careers. The way his knee bent... Let's just say he was damn lucky he could play the next week.

I guess the part you've bolded is my unending jealousy that I've never been in THAT good of shape no matter how hard I work at it, while the Favre's of the world are invincible even at 33/34 years old.

The next week was a bye week. Think BF wudda been able to play if there was a game that next Sunday?

Either way, that was a big hit and a great recovery from injury.

Gunakor
08-02-2009, 09:24 AM

The next week was a bye week. Think BF wudda been able to play if there was a game that next Sunday?

A normal human being would have missed an entire season with an ACL. Whether it's the very next Sunday or the one after that or a month after that, doesn't matter. If you saw the hit, you know. How on earth he didn't miss any time is beyond explanation. An act of God. Divine intervention, as I described it earlier. I don't know how else to describe it.

And yes, I think he wudda played the next week. I don't think there's a doctor alive that could keep him off the field if he still had one good leg and a healthy throwing shoulder. Or one good leg and a torn biceps in his throwing shoulder. Or no good legs, a broken thumb on his throwing hand, and a major concussion. Or...

SnakeLH2006
08-02-2009, 04:14 PM

A normal human being would have missed an entire season with an ACL. Whether it's the very next Sunday or the one after that or a month after that, doesn't matter. If you saw the hit, you know. How on earth he didn't miss any time is beyond explanation. An act of God. Divine intervention, as I described it earlier. I don't know how else to describe it.

And yes, I think he wudda played the next week. I don't think there's a doctor alive that could keep him off the field if he still had one good leg and a healthy throwing shoulder. Or one good leg and a torn biceps in his throwing shoulder. Or no good legs, a broken thumb on his throwing hand, and a major concussion. Or...

Yeah, I remember that hit now. Damn, I thought the same thing. I'm still wincing over that hit. Favre has had some incredible physical traits to withstand, and come back from some of those hits.

Fritz
08-03-2009, 05:39 PM
Manning's going to have to stay healthy and pick it up a little bit on the interception end of things if he wants to have a shot at all the records.