PDA

View Full Version : Down goes Tarvaris Jackson!

Brando19
08-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Just read on PFT that Tarvaris Jackson hurt his leg during practice and was in alot of pain. He left the field on his own power, but there's no word on the severity of the injury. Looks like the Vikings luck just got a little worse.

Lurker64
08-01-2009, 12:18 PM
It always sucks when teams lose players due to injury in training camp... but when the lost player is Mr. Jackson, it may not be too much of a loss, if you know what I mean.

Didn't they bring in Sage to take his job anyway?

SkinBasket
08-01-2009, 12:48 PM
http://urbansportstalk.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/mike-vick.jpg
"This is terrible (giggle) terrible news. I wish (giggle) Tavaris the best.

Lurker64
08-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Apparently it's a class I MCL sprain, so he'll be day-to-day.

My question is, what the hell are you thinking running into the guy with the red jersey and injuring him on the first weekend of training camp? Are you trying to get cut?

Brando19
08-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Jackson was taking reps with the first team...so maybe the starting job was his to lose?

packers11
08-01-2009, 02:29 PM
pft.com

A practical joke from Bernard Berrian

Posted by Mike Florio on August 1, 2009 2:25 PM ET
And the misadventures with Twitter continue.

Not long ago, we reported that Vikings quarterback Tarvaris Jackson suffered an MCL injury in practice today, which is believed to be a Grade I sprain.

But then receiver Bernard Berrian tweeted that Jackson will miss the entire season.

So while we were trying to figure out whether Berrian knows something that we don't, he came clean: "Ok folks jokes over. T-Jack is fine. But, lesson learned here. DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING U SEE IN THE MEDIA!! Yes, twitter is media!!"

Um, let's see if we understand this. In an effort to persuade football fans not to trust what they see "in the media," Berrian told a flat-out lie on his Twitter page?

It's going to be a very interesting season.

Lurker64
08-01-2009, 02:50 PM
That thing about Berrian? That's really weird.

Packers4Ever
08-01-2009, 04:06 PM
It always sucks when teams lose players due to injury in training camp... but when the lost player is Mr. Jackson, it may not be too much of a loss, if you know what I mean.

Didn't they bring in Sage to take his job anyway?

He was in terrible pain but left the field under his own power? ? ?
If it was gametime, someone would have run out with a
stretcher or something on 4 wheels, especially considering
Mr. Tavaris was a #1 QB, they lost a chance on another QB this
past week and the remainder doesn't / don't measure up,
Sage and what's-his-name ? :roll:

Kiwon
08-01-2009, 04:19 PM
AP Source: Vikes QB Jackson has sprained MCL

MANKATO, Minn. (AP)—Minnesota Vikings quarterback Tarvaris Jackson(notes) sprained the MCL in his left knee after getting tangled with a defensive lineman in practice on Saturday, according to a person with knowledge of the injury.

Jackson was hurt when defensive lineman LeTroy Guion(notes) fell at his feet and rolled over his leg during an 11-on-11 drill and is day-to-day, said the person, who requested anonymity because an official announcement had not been made.

Jackson folded to the field in pain as trainers rushed to check on him. After a few minutes, he was able to get up and walk off under his own power.

“I really don’t know what happened,” Guion said. “Everybody was moving so fast.”

The fourth-year pro first received some attention at a tent on the side of the field before heading to the team’s locker room area at Minnesota State University, Mankato.

Jackson is in a battle with Sage Rosenfels(notes) for the starting quarterback position after Brett Favre(notes) decided not to come out of retirement and join the Vikings.

“Whether it’s Tarvaris or any of your guys, you don’t want to see any of your guys go down, no matter who it is,” offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said after practice. “Whether it’s your quarterback, your third tight end, it doesn’t matter. You don’t like to see anybody have any type of injury.”

The Vikings have held three practices since training camp began on Friday, and Jackson and Rosenfels have been splitting the snaps with the first team.

“It’s pretty tough (to see that), especially in practice,” left tackle Bryant McKinnie(notes) said. “Hopefully he’ll be all right.”

In his first season on the job in 2006, Vikings coach Brad Childress drafted Jackson in the second round as his quarterback of the future. He has been up and down in his first three seasons in the league, which led to the recruitment of Favre all summer long.

When Favre called Childress on Tuesday to tell him he wasn’t coming, the competition started anew for Jackson and Rosenfels.

Jackson’s familiarity with the offense appears to have given him a slight edge so far, but it’s still very early in the competition.

“At this time, Tarvaris has a little bit more knowledge of our system,” Bevell said. “He is an athletic quarterback. He’s got a very strong arm and those would be the positives about him.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AqOq.NzD7bNJtRv5kMtLogM5nYcB?slug=ap-vikings-jackson&prov=ap&type=lgns

bobblehead
08-01-2009, 09:39 PM
As I drove around today I heard a sports talking head declaring that brett could miss most of training camp, come in with one preseason game to play and be ready for the season. You see, he is a veteran, talking head explained. I hope BF joins the vikes with one preseason game to go.

Some people just don't get the difference time and commitment make.

Brando19
08-01-2009, 09:50 PM
PFT is now reporting that Beanie Wells went down today, as well. He had to be carted off the field with a leg injury. Man I hope that doesn't happen to any of the Packers.

Rastak
08-01-2009, 10:30 PM
PFT is now reporting that Beanie Wells went down today, as well. He had to be carted off the field with a leg injury. Man I hope that doesn't happen to any of the Packers.

I would hope that doesn't happen...if it does I'm sure you'll create a thread "Down goes Raji!"

:wink:

pasquale
08-01-2009, 11:04 PM
pft.com

A practical joke from Bernard Berrian

Posted by Mike Florio on August 1, 2009 2:25 PM ET
And the misadventures with Twitter continue.

Not long ago, we reported that Vikings quarterback Tarvaris Jackson suffered an MCL injury in practice today, which is believed to be a Grade I sprain.

But then receiver Bernard Berrian tweeted that Jackson will miss the entire season.

So while we were trying to figure out whether Berrian knows something that we don't, he came clean: "Ok folks jokes over. T-Jack is fine. But, lesson learned here. DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING U SEE IN THE MEDIA!! Yes, twitter is media!!"

Um, let's see if we understand this. In an effort to persuade football fans not to trust what they see "in the media," Berrian told a flat-out lie on his Twitter page?

It's going to be a very interesting season.

I think it's funnier than hell that he did that. I hate having to hear "news" from twitter feeds. While yes, some sources can be reliable, I just think it's dumb. I can't imagine I'm alone on this...

Lurker64
08-02-2009, 12:13 AM
I would hope that doesn't happen...if it does I'm sure you'll create a thread "Down goes Raji!"

Come on Ras, Raji is actually a player who is important to his team's success in this upcoming year... let's compare apples to apples.

SnakeLH2006
08-02-2009, 12:47 AM
Per breaking news, Snake has the latest:

Report: Favre Back in Viking's Plans
Ed Werder
Associated Press

MANKATO, Minn. -- When defensive tackle LeTroy Guion rolled up on Tarvaris Jackson's left knee in practice on Saturday, the Minnesota Vikings' quarterback competition ended before it really started.

Jackson sprained the MCL in his left knee, and calls were immediately placed to Bus Cook's office in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. The source requested anonymity because the team did not make an official announcement as to Favre's immediate plans.

Coach Brad Childress declined to divulge the specific details, but sources within the Vikings brass have confirmed that Brett Favre has been offered a record $20 million dollar deal to play in 2009.

"It looks like he'll be just fine with the contract," Childress said.

Sources have also confirmed that Brett Favre has been offered the Offensive Coordinator position formally held by recently disposed Offensive Coordinator, Darrell Bevell.

"I really don't know what happened," Guion said. "The contract offer happened so fast."

The Minnesota Vikings General Manager position is apparently up for grabs, as well. Favre's agent, Bus Cook stated, "If Brett were to come back for the Vikings, it's clear that he would need time to make some trades and signings to upgrade the offense to his liking." According to a source, former Green Bay Packer, Antonio Freeman, is expected to begin workouts soon in preparation for an NFL comeback with the Minnesota Vikings.

"We were competing out there and I'm sure Brett will be back to take our jobs," Rosenfels said. "You never want to see anyone waffle that much, but if Brett's going to be the GM, I guess love that guy, then."

"It's pretty tough [to see that], so hopefully I still can start," left tackle Bryant McKinnie said. "Hopefully Brett will be cool with me. I never said anything too bad about Brett. I don't beat my Tweet."

In his first season on the job in 2006, Childress drafted Jackson in the second round as his quarterback of the future. He has been up and down in his first three seasons in the league, which led to the recruitment of Favre all summer.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Gunakor
08-02-2009, 02:19 AM

Ed Werder
Associated Press

MANKATO, Minn. -- When defensive tackle LeTroy Guion rolled up on Tarvaris Jackson's left knee in practice on Saturday, the Minnesota Vikings' quarterback competition ended before it really started.

Jackson sprained the MCL in his left knee, and calls were immediately placed to Bus Cook's office in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. The source requested anonymity because the team did not make an official announcement as to Favre's immediate plans.

Coach Brad Childress declined to divulge the specific details, but sources within the Vikings brass have confirmed that Brett Favre has been offered a record $20 million dollar deal to play in 2009.

Sources have also confirmed that Brett Favre has been offered the Offensive Coordinator position formally held by recently disposed Offensive Coordinator, Darrell Bevell.

"I really don't know what happened," Guion said. "The contract offer happened so fast."

The Minnesota Vikings General Manager position is apparently up for grabs, as well. Favre's agent, Bus Cook stated, "If Brett were to come back for the Vikings, it's clear that he would need time to make some trades and signings to upgrade the offense to his liking." According to a source, former Green Bay Packer, Antonio Freeman, is expected to begin workouts soon in preparation for an NFL comeback with the Minnesota Vikings.

"We were competing out there and I'm sure Brett will be back to take our jobs," Rosenfels said. "You never want to see anyone waffle that much, but if Brett's going to be the GM, I guess love that guy, then."

"It's pretty tough [to see that], so hopefully I still can start," left tackle Bryant McKinnie said. "Hopefully Brett will be cool with me. I never said anything too bad about Brett. I don't beat my Tweet."

In his first season on the job in 2006, Childress drafted Jackson in the second round as his quarterback of the future. He has been up and down in his first three seasons in the league, which led to the recruitment of Favre all summer.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nothing would make me happier than to see Favre as the Vikings GM. "You never want to see anyone waffle that much, but if Brett's going to be the GM, I guess love that guy, then." Classic.

SnakeLH2006
08-02-2009, 04:42 AM

Ed Werder
Associated Press

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nothing would make me happier than to see Favre as the Vikings GM. "You never want to see anyone waffle that much, but if Brett's going to be the GM, I guess love that guy, then." Classic.
LOL. Gunakor. I swear I didn't just edit the hell out of an ESPN story to create this story (it would have taken 20 min. to do :no: )

This is straight from Ed Werder. Snake swears it. This is a real story. :D

Fritz
08-03-2009, 05:44 PM
"I don't beat my tweet" - that is some classic stuff right there.

Lurker64
08-03-2009, 05:56 PM

Interesting, that for as potentially incendiary a headline like "Down goes Jackson!" might be in a forum for a rival football team, Tony Kornheiser used the exact same phrase on PTI today. He's at least supposed to be impartial, despite all of his Favre-lust right?

Fritz
08-03-2009, 06:01 PM

I'd rather it be "down goes so-and-so" then "so-and-so goes down," because then I'd be wondering upon whom.

SnakeLH2006
08-05-2009, 12:46 AM
"I don't beat my tweet" - that is some classic stuff right there.

Wow..2 classic quotes in one story now...? Apparently ole Snakey has the scoop....But my personal fave scoop on that breaking story was this one:

The Minnesota Vikings General Manager position is apparently up for grabs, as well. Favre's agent, Bus Cook stated, "If Brett were to come back for the Vikings, it's clear that he would need time to make some trades and signings to upgrade the offense to his liking."
:lol:
Chris Mortensen is now reporting on ESPN that Snake has signed on to deliver bicycle reports from Packer Training Camp. Stay tuned. :lol: