PDA

View Full Version : Notes from First Practice

vince
08-01-2009, 05:18 PM
After following the blogs of Bedard and Pelliserro, here's a summary of their impressions from the first practice. It'll be interesting to see how things progress from here.

Not much surprise in starting lineups. Spitz, Wells and Sitton rotated with the first team between RG and C. Jolly got the nod in Raji's absence at LDE. Chillar replaced Barnett.

It was very windy today, which made long passes difficult. That said, Jennings toasted both Blackmon and Harris deep in one on one drills, and Jones beat Pat Lee for a long gainer from Rodgers. Swain also had a long gainer from Rodgers vs. Tramon Williams. Later, Jones beat Harris and Collins deep for another long gainer from Rodgers. Rodgers was "very sharp."

Barbre got chewed out by Campen. Clifton made Thompson "look like a boy" who did recover to beat Tony Moll. TJ Lang had a rough day, getting "tossed" by Kampman and beat by him the next rep too. Harrell looked impressive against Lang also. Jolly got nowhere in 1 on 1's.

Crosby was 4 of 6 in the wind, with misses from 35 and 48. Made the 50 yarder.

Brooks clearly outpunted Kapinos, with longer punts, better hangtime, and more consistency.

Hawk was described as "more physical." Matthews looked good vs. Clifton and Moll and showed good strength. Cullen Jenkins looked good - and strong. Kampman shined in pass rushing drills. Clifton stood out in pass protection drills.

Brohm, who was wearing a glove on his throwing hand, did not impress Pelissero. "Too much waiting. Too inaccurate."

ND72
08-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Pelliserro did say that it is obviously Barbre's job to loose, and that he got "scolded" because he started a scuffle again today. As he was pancaking Brady Poopinga, POOP grabbed his facemask and brought Barbre down with him, and Barbre didn't like it. (that's what I read today anyway).

red
08-01-2009, 06:12 PM
any word on if kampman looked comfortable at olb? or that he looks like he can be a player there

thats the big ? for me right now. can our best defensive player make the switch to the most important position in our new system

ND72
08-01-2009, 06:18 PM
I read that he looked at times like he was pretty dominate, nothing negative was written about him though.

vince
08-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Pelliserro did say that it is obviously Barbre's job to loose, and that he got "scolded" because he started a scuffle again today. As he was pancaking Brady Poopinga, POOP grabbed his facemask and brought Barbre down with him, and Barbre didn't like it. (that's what I read today anyway).
Good to hear. I'd rather see an error of aggression like that than a missed assignment or false start. Giaco got some reps with the first team too and held his own apparently.

vince
08-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Here's another perspective on the first practice.

Mike McCarthy Press Conference Transcript - Aug. 1
posted 08/01/2009

(You were doing some mixing and matching with Wells, Spitz, and Sitton. Is that pretty much wide open at center and right guard?)
There is definitely competition going on in the interior of our line, and really all the way through. We're trying to find the best five and work all the different combinations that are needed. We'd like to make a decision earlier in training camp than past years, but time will answer those questions.

(Practice was about two and a half hours; did you plan to go that long?)
Well, we were actually nine minutes early today so the pace of practice was good. I thought the structure of the practice was good. We're off to a good start, but it's like training camp (with) a lot of timing and rhythm issues and footwork and so forth. It's day one and we've got a lot of work to do.

(How concerned are you with B.J. Raji not being here for the first practice?)
B.J. is a young player. It's always important for all of your players to be here, particularly the young ones. Business sometimes gets in the way of football. That's part of the National Football League. That's just the way it goes sometimes.

(How rusty is Wells after missing the entire offseason?)
I had a chance to just watch Scott early. I tried to watch the injured players that were coming back early, but he looks like he is off to a good start. He looks like he is in great shape. The trainers and the strength and conditioning staff were real impressed with what he has done just the last couple of months. I look for Scott to come back at full strength.

(Same question for Jenkins)
Yeah, he was in our backfield a bunch on offense, so Cullen doesn't look like he has missed a beat. It's good to have him back. He looked good today.

(How did the defense function today?)
I thought the organization of practice on both sides of the ball was good. Defense, we had the one substitution error on the seven-on-seven, but I thought the function with Dom and Winston, the boundary interaction with the substitution because we gave them a lot of sub offense on first and second down, so I thought the mechanics of it was very good. That's really a tribute to the players and the coaches, what we got done in the offseason program.

(Overall, were you happy with today's practice?)
It's OK. I thought it was OK. I have a lot of notes. That's probably not a good sign, and we'll watch the film and we'll make the corrections.

(Did any of the rookies jump out for you?)
Nothing really jumped out at me. The biggest thing with the rookies is you get to see them in the spring, you see their athletic ability. I thought we had guys on the ground too much today. That's not a good sign, but it is normal in training camp. I thought our rookie class, they looked good in pads. It is an adjustment for them. You can see some guys, it's not that their conditioning isn't in order, but it's a lot different when you get to this level. Just going through it the first time, there are a number of them that will have to adjust to that.

(How did Jeremy Thompson look?)
I didn't watch Jeremy a whole lot individually today, but that's something I could probably better answer after watching the film.

(How did Chad Clifton look?)
Yeah, I watched Chad today. I think his conditioning, for what he has been through with the four operations, I like the way he is coming back. He is like the rest of our guys. He needs to go through training camp, a little rusty.

(Is right tackle Allen Barbre's spot to lose or is that too strong?)
You would definitely say he is ahead right now, but I thought Breno, just watching him in the one-on-ones and the times that he was in there, he looks like he is coming back off his injuries. And Tony Moll is definitely going to apply competition too. Depth charts on the first day of training camp are sometimes not necessary in my opinion, so we'll see what happens.

(Will Lang get some reps too?)
Potentially, yes.

(You have an off day on Wednesday. Does that say how camp is different where guys needed camp to get into shape and now it is a 12-month job?)
Definitely. I just think the whole structure is different than the old days. You hear Ted Thompson and the older players talk about training camps starting before July 4 and six preseason games. The times are different. When you have your football team here pretty much, I think we had 96, 97 percent of our football team here since March, so the amount of work that we were able to get done and the strength and conditioning aspect, schematically putting everything in, it's now time to get the padded work done and fundamentals, but we're just being smart with the conditioning and the health of our players.

(Does that eliminate the need for as many two-a-days?)
I am of that opinion. I don't know if that's what everybody feels. I think it's important, I like the teaching aspect of our schedule. We are not in a 2-1-2 schedule just so we can be off on Wednesdays. That's not really, that's part of it. But I think it's important to teach, then have an opportunity to eat, and then play. And then correct, teach, eat and then perform. It's very important. I didn't like the old schedule when I was an assistant coach because I felt you never really got to watch all the video. There's so many good situations that are created because of the competitiveness between the offense and defense out there. The offensive players have already put their plays in the spring, and the defensive players know it's coming and they can probably time it up by the installations. So there's problems that the defense can really generate for the offense, and you learn from it, and it goes the same way the other way. The offense can create problems for your defense. There's so much good learning from training camp film, and it's important to get through that film. So this gives us the opportunity to cover everything, every practice is looked at, every practice is prepared for. And when you go back-to-back practices and then have a meeting following it, it's hard to get that done from a time management standpoint.

(How long do you look at the film after each practice?)
How long? Never timed it. I'm trying to think here. The staff, probably about an hour and a half. The staff will grab their plate of dinner and go right to the film room, and we'll watch it. Then the players, we'll go special teams and the quarterbacks at 7 o'clock, and we'll go from there. We have to have it done by 7 o'clock to answer your question.

(Is the punting battle wide open?)
Absolutely. Wide open.

(Last year you had just one punter in camp. How different is it with two?)
It's a position open on our football team, and we've got two young candidates without a lot of experience. That's where we are. It's different from the fact obviously the reps and splitting them up, it's a wide open competition.

(If a cell phone going off is a $1,701 fine, how much is it for using Twitter?)
That's part of the cell phone.

(What is the reason behind the Twitter policy for players?)
I'm supposed to flip out when a cell phone goes off in this setting, but we don't work for the same company. It's disrespectful. You don't pull out your cell phone and start talking in the middle of a meeting, and to me, Twitter, texting, and all the different things you can do on the cell phone fall in the same category.

(What does an undrafted player like Tyrell Sutton have to overcome?)
He's got to fight for his reps. He's got to fight for everything. It's only natural that the drafted player initially gets probably more opportunity. He missed the time early because of finishing his schoolwork, but he definitely has a big spring in his step. You can see why he was such a productive player in college. But he's just got to keep taking full advantage of his opportunities.

(Would you like to fully push Harrell in camp to make sure he can hold up?)
Fully test him? He's full-go. He's out there in the padded work. We're keeping an eye on all our players, especially the ones that are coming off of injures. But he's a full-go participant.

(How did Aaron Rodgers look today?)
I thought he did OK. I thought he had a solid day. I thought he was put in some tough spots with the protection part of it wasn't as clean. We probably had some plays the defense was, a better defense was called, where he was overloaded. The timing, without seeing the film, I thought it was OK. There's times we were in sync and there's times when we weren't. I think it was pretty much a normal first day of training camp.

packrulz
08-02-2009, 06:24 AM
The times are different. When you have your football team here pretty much, I think we had 96, 97 percent of our football team here since March, so the amount of work that we were able to get done and the strength and conditioning aspect, schematically putting everything in, it's now time to get the padded work done and fundamentals, but we're just being smart with the conditioning and the health of our players.
Wow! 97%! That's great!

bobblehead
08-02-2009, 11:48 AM
The times are different. When you have your football team here pretty much, I think we had 96, 97 percent of our football team here since March, so the amount of work that we were able to get done and the strength and conditioning aspect, schematically putting everything in, it's now time to get the padded work done and fundamentals, but we're just being smart with the conditioning and the health of our players.
Wow! 97%! That's great!

No big deal....the veterans know how to play in the NFL and didn't benefit from all this offseason work....it merely burned them out. They should be allowed to sit home and mow the lawn or whatever else they want to do, not be burdened by all this offseason crap.

MJZiggy
08-02-2009, 11:53 AM
They didn't have to be there. Attendance at most of this stuff is optional. Perhaps they're there because they want to be the best they can? Because they want to truly feel like part of a team working for a common goal? If they couldn't handle it, they wouldn't be there--and I'm sure they all can afford gardeners and to have loved ones in GB with them in the offseason if that's what they want.

Rastak
08-02-2009, 02:31 PM
I have an RSS feed from KFFL and saw this link...thought you might like the update. The Vikes don't hit the field for another 30 minutes.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

The Blitz: Training Camp Practice No. 2
Cleaning out the notebook from this morning's session on Clarke Hinkle Field ...

* The No. 1 defense outperformed the No. 1 offense, and it wasn't close. At no time was the difference more obvious than in the blitz drill, which began with: an illegal snap by Spitz; an interception thrown by QB Aaron Rodgers, who threw a cross for WR Donald Driver that CB Charles Woodson sniffed in zone coverage; and then a sack by blitzing ILB Brandon Chillar. Rodgers finished the drill 1-for-5, his only completion a quick hit to Driver in the slot.

* That epitomized Rodgers' practice-long struggles, which only were compounded by several drops and successful blitzing by the defense. He finished 7-of-19 passing in team drills and even scuffled in the offense-leaning 7-on-7, missing a couple open receivers and finishing 6-for-9.

* No. 2 QB Matt Flynn (2-for-2) actually looked more comfortable against the blitz, at one point making a great hot read to find WR Kole Heckendorf releasing free from the slot. No. 3 QB Brian Brohm also was 2-for-2 against the blitz and had one of his best days passing since he arrived here. Both second-year QBs finished 6-for-6 in team drills and 3-for-3 in 7-on-7.

* Four veterans coming off surgery -- RE Cullen Jenkins, S Atari Bigby, LT Chad Clifton and C Scott Wells -- were placed on a one-a-day practice schedule and thus out most drills. DE Justin Harrell and S Aaron Rouse got the bulk of the contact work with the starters in place of Jenkins and Bigby, respectively. Tony Moll worked in place of Clifton, while Jason Spitz worked at center and Josh Sitton at right guard, as they did for portions of Saturday's practice.

* The only player to drop out was Harrell, who experienced cramping in his left calf late in practice. He said he expects to practice tonight. Prior to the injury, he provided several glimpses of what he can be when healthy -- tons of length, tons of power. He was outmuscling Moll on a regular basis, particularly against the run.

* LBs Nick Barnett (knee) and Brad Jones (back) remain on the physically unable to perform list. Jones said he feels OK and expects to be cleared soon. The only player absent was top draft pick NT B.J. Raji, who remains unsigned.

* Team (11-on-11) drills got off to a rocky start in an initial game situation period. TE Donald Lee dropped QB Aaron Rodgers' first pass; two plays later, TE Evan Moore and Lee had back-to-back false starts. RT Allen Barbre and Spitz also were yanked for false starts during team work.

* WR Greg Jennings had a chance to make the play of the day when he beat CB Tramon Williams deep down the right sideline, but Rodgers' perfect pass went right through his hands.

* The trickle-down effect of the offensive line absences was Jamon Meredith moving up to play second-team left tackle, Dane Randolph flip-flopping to take Meredith's spot with the 3s and T.J. Lang replacing Randolph at right tackle.

* RB Kregg Lumpkin is the picture of form when he runs the gauntlet in individual drills. Perhaps better than anyone on the team, he gets low while also keeping the ball high, almost perpendicular to the ground.

* ROLB Jeremy Thompson remains the best covering outside linebacker, but he's getting shoved around when asked to play at the line of scrimmage. You can't play soft at that position, even with the sort of long arms Thompson has to keep linemen off him.

* Tempers flared on a couple occasions during the team run period, with Thompson tangling briefly with TE Jermichael Finley and Barbre doing the same with LOLB Aaron Kampman after the next play.

* Finley looks a lot more powerful and confident this year, but his balance sometimes seems lacking. At times, it appears he comes too hard out of his breaks, and at others -- such as when Rodgers threw a pass to an open Finley during 7-on-7 -- he seemed to lock up his hips and made a lame attempt at adjusting to the ball in flight. Still a work in progress.

* Chillar was all over the field, getting in on at least two sacks in team and recording a nice pass break-up against TE Tory Humphrey during 7-on-7 passing.

* Coach Mike McCarthy's assessment of the punting -- "not very good" -- probably was an understatement. P Durant Brooks was superior again, averaging 49 yards with 4.19 seconds of hangtime to P Jeremy Kapinos' 45 and 3.82, but Brooks also had a 20-yard shank out of bounds. It's tough to imagine coaches being particularly confident in either guy right now.

* The hit of the day came from RB DeShawn Wynn, who stood up ILB Desmond Bishop on a blitz and sent Bishop's helmet flying.

* Dropping 'em like they're hot: Lee, WR Ruvell Martin, Jennings, Heckendorf.

-- Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

Packgator
08-02-2009, 03:16 PM
From the Pelissero blog during practice #2:

"Harrell just mauled moll on a zone left run. The man is powerful when healthy"

Hopefully a sign of things to come.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Rastak
08-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Packgator, in an unrelated note you seem to be a Gator fan. Do you think Percy Harvin's skills will translate to the NFL after watching him in college?

Brando19
08-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Second practice of the day is underway. Woodson has had 2 drops of what would have been interceptions. Jennings was just matched up with Kampman in zone and torched him for a 70 yard TD. Follow it live here... http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

packers11
08-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Love reading how Woodson is just locking things down... Who said age is catching up to him? It sounds like he is everywhere...

Brando19
08-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Love reading how Woodson is just locking things down... Who said age is catching up to him? It sounds like he is everywhere...

Woodson has quickly turned into one of my favorite players. Interception machine!

Partial
08-02-2009, 08:24 PM
If Kampman is matched up with a #1 receiver, we're not doing it right.

Brando19
08-02-2009, 08:48 PM
If Kampman is matched up with a #1 receiver, we're not doing it right.

Welcome back, Partial. Glad you're back. :glug:

Iron Mike
08-02-2009, 10:39 PM
http://www.pcmtl.com/public/misc/TTIWWOP.gif

Iron Mike
08-02-2009, 10:41 PM
http://www.pcmtl.com/public/misc/TTIWWOP.gif

Pics, you say??
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/tc10.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/tc5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/tc6.jpg

Obviously I was close to where the OL was training.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/tc11.jpg

Iron Mike
08-02-2009, 10:44 PM
TEs weren't far away.....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/tc8.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/tc9.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/tc2.jpg

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Nice pics.

Apparently, the Packers will keep the 7th round pick they were supposed to send to the Jets next year. After reading the article, I still don't know why we get it back, but it was some procedural thing.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/52320032.html

Iron Mike
08-03-2009, 07:27 AM
Nice pics.

They were a LOT larger when I downloaded them. :evil:

Photobucket must have edited the size....anybody know how to fix that?

Iron Mike
08-03-2009, 07:49 AM
I'd have comments, but I was sitting in front of some asshat from Chicago that just would NOT SHUT UP the entire time he was there. I know, typical--right?? :roll: It's hard to concentrate when Richard Head from Barrington makes comments like the following:

"I heard that Brandon Jackson hurt his knee in practice yesterday."

Umm, yeah Closet Bear Fan, that was Brandon Jackson that just ran with the number 2s.......you must be thinking of Tavarius Jackson in Minnesota...get the teams right, douchenozzle. :x

KYPack
08-03-2009, 09:11 AM
Nice pics.

Apparently, the Packers will keep the 7th round pick they were supposed to send to the Jets next year. After reading the article, I still don't know why we get it back, but it was some procedural thing.

That's a funny post, Iron Mike.

I got a headache trying to figure out why we got that 7th back from the Jets. That whole trade was goofy, glad it's over now.

I know TT fought for his precious 7th.

SkinBasket
08-03-2009, 09:25 AM
Nice pics.

They were a LOT larger when I downloaded them. :evil:

Photobucket must have edited the size....anybody know how to fix that?

Right under the box that lists the files you're uploading is a pulldown list that says "Reduce to:" Change that to something larger.

Fritz
08-03-2009, 05:35 PM
I thought McCarthy performed well today, highlighted by his assessment that he "thought the function with Dom and Winston, the boundary interaction with the substitution because we gave them a lot of sub offense on first and second down, so I thought the mechanics of it was very good."

Emphasizing "boundary interaction" was good, but Coach M really stepped up his game when he said that Tony Moll would certainly "apply competition" to (or "on"?) the offensive line.

The only letdown - and it's early in camp, so this is normal - occurred when Coach McCarthy forgot to mention pad level, despite being prompted by questions about the offensive line more than once.

These are simply my initial impressions. I'll probably have to look at the film before I can give you a more comprehensive analysis.

Scott Campbell
08-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Nice pics.

That's a funny post, Iron Mike.

I got a headache trying to figure out why we got that 7th back from the Jets. That whole trade was goofy, glad it's over now.

I know TT fought for his precious 7th.

I thought it was because the Jets unconditionally released Brett.

Scott Campbell
08-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Thanks Iron Mike!

Packgator
08-06-2009, 10:59 PM
Packgator, in an unrelated note you seem to be a Gator fan. Do you think Percy Harvin's skills will translate to the NFL after watching him in college?

Ras. Very talented and very exciting. Watched every game expecting him to do something special. He's best known as a WR......yet in both 2006 and 2008 he had more rushing yards than receiving yards. During his three years he had more rushing TD's (19) than receiving TD's (13). And he averaged nearly 10 yards per rush. I guess a lot will depend how the Vikings use him.......but I suspect he has a lot to learn about playing the WR position. In college he was just better than the defenders trying to stop him. I was hoping he would end up anywhere but the NFC North.

Partial
08-06-2009, 11:21 PM
First, he put on an impressive display of touch when he dropped three 40-yard bombs into the accuracy bucket – a basketball hoop-like ring and net that sits at the goal line. Making one into the bucket during that drill is impressive. To make three is practically unheard of.

Extremely impressive right there.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090806/PKR01/90806163/1058?GID=pIIMXniA5Kalaqi03tv/II+HfrQHkYsbARXmx+HnS1s%3D

Sounds like Rodgers had an awesome day. Good sign.

GBRulz
08-06-2009, 11:31 PM
I went to practice tonight for about an hour. The new field is awesome, but if I have one gripe... it's that if you sit in the first three rows of bleachers because people are constantly walking in front of you and it's hard to see. I see they also have a guest staff working at the gates, too. Not sure exactly what they there for though, lol.

I don't ever remember practice being as fired up as it has been lately. The guys are really playing with a high level of energy, tempers are flaring, fights are breaking out and they are giving it their all. One of the most interesting matchups that I've been watching this year are Jones and Nelson vying for the #3 spot. Jones looked amazing with some of the catches he was bringing down tonight. Amongst the crowd were several comments saying "Hey Jones, why don't you do that in a game" ouch.

Rodgers has one of the prettiest deep balls I've ever seen. The largest cheer of the night came on a bomb to Jennings. However, when it comes to 25-30 yards are so, he was overthrowing his targets...by a lot. He also seemed to show some signs of frustration and was holding on to the ball too long.

I was mostly on the offense side, but did see the team play together at the end. Perhaps I have missed a camp report or two but why the hell was Harrell in shorts and not practicing? Is this guy hurt...again??? Seriously, people.

I'm uploading some pics right now and will post them in a little while.

Partial
08-06-2009, 11:42 PM
I went to practice tonight for about an hour. The new field is awesome, but if I have one gripe... it's that if you sit in the first three rows of bleachers because people are constantly walking in front of you and it's hard to see. I see they also have a guest staff working at the gates, too. Not sure exactly what they there for though, lol.

I don't ever remember practice being as fired up as it has been lately. The guys are really playing with a high level of energy, tempers are flaring, fights are breaking out and they are giving it their all. One of the most interesting matchups that I've been watching this year are Jones and Nelson vying for the #3 spot. Jones looked amazing with some of the catches he was bringing down tonight. Amongst the crowd were several comments saying "Hey Jones, why don't you do that in a game" ouch.

Rodgers has one of the prettiest deep balls I've ever seen. The largest cheer of the night came on a bomb to Jennings. However, when it comes to 25-30 yards are so, he was overthrowing his targets...by a lot. He also seemed to show some signs of frustration and was holding on to the ball too long.

I was mostly on the offense side, but did see the team play together at the end. Perhaps I have missed a camp report or two but why the hell was Harrell in shorts and not practicing? Is this guy hurt...again??? Seriously, people.

I'm uploading some pics right now and will post them in a little while.

Excellent report. Glad to hear the tempo is high. I've heard from the WSSP shows that Jones is running away with the job right now because Nelson has been dropping a lot of passes despite looking far more comfortable. They have said on numerous occasions that Driver, Jennings and Jones all look like stars.

Harrell was held out by MM for too many reps, but is good to go for tomorrow I guess.

Rodgers hit 3 balls from 40 yards away into a hoop. That is incredible.

GBRulz
08-07-2009, 12:09 AM
a few pics that I took at practice tonight....

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/IMG_5101.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/IMG_5104.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/IMG_5107.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/IMG_5113.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/IMG_5117.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/IMG_5118.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/IMG_5126.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/IMG_5133.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/IMG_5134.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/IMG_5139.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/IMG_5140.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/IMG_5142.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/IMG_5143.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/IMG_5146.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/IMG_5151.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/IMG_5160.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/IMG_5162.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/IMG_5176.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/IMG_5173.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/IMG_5182.jpg

Fun with a fish eye lens.....
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/IMG_5149.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/IMG_5187.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/IMG_5190.jpg

Zool
08-07-2009, 12:15 AM
a few pics that I took at practice tonight....

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/IMG_5133.jpg

Finley: "How the HELL do you pronounce that?"

GBRulz
08-07-2009, 12:21 AM
LOL - I thought for sure, you'd make a comment about the nose picker....3 pics from the end.

Zool
08-07-2009, 12:24 AM
I almost did, but that might actually be my cousin.

Partial
08-07-2009, 12:25 AM
Look at those tree trunks for calves on Harrell. Sheesh.

MJZiggy
08-07-2009, 06:15 AM
Thanks Michelle, you know I love your photographic eye. Few others around here have a true appreciation for it... :lol:

GBRulz
08-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Thanks Michelle, you know I love your photographic eye. Few others around here have a true appreciation for it... :lol:

anytime, Zig. I probably have more that you would appreciate, as well. :wink:

I tell ya though, as it got darker and you are shooting under those lights, I have a deeper appreciation for pro photographers who can walk away from that with some really good pics. I deleted most of mine...including a Jennings/Driver hip bump that would have been an awesome pic otherwise.

I rented two lenses lately...my budget calls for buying one of them (they are about the same price) and I am torn over which one to buy. Both are Canon's "L" series glass. The 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 , which is excellent in daytime conditions. And also the 70-200mm F2.8 IS. I love the reach on the 400mm, but when I looked at overall, pics from both, I"d have to say I've taken better pics with the 200 F2.8.

Earth to PIP....

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Awesome pics.

Waldo
08-07-2009, 11:29 AM

I tell ya though, as it got darker and you are shooting under those lights, I have a deeper appreciation for pro photographers who can walk away from that with some really good pics. I deleted most of mine...including a Jennings/Driver hip bump that would have been an awesome pic otherwise.

I rented two lenses lately...my budget calls for buying one of them (they are about the same price) and I am torn over which one to buy. Both are Canon's "L" series glass. The 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 , which is excellent in daytime conditions. And also the 70-200mm F2.8 IS. I love the reach on the 400mm, but when I looked at overall, pics from both, I"d have to say I've taken better pics with the 200 F2.8.

Earth to PIP....

Dam those are nice.

The only L I've got is the 17-40, but I'm probably going to go to Falcons camp to play with my 70-300 f.4-5.6 IS next week some time.

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2009, 11:33 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/52627572.html

THUMBS UP

One thing Aaron Rodgers could do better than Brett Favre almost from the time he got to Green Bay was throw a beautiful deep ball. Favre could throw it longer, but Rodgers' rotation and touch on the ball can be a thing of beauty. On Thursday night, he was at his best in a drill in which the quarterbacks throw 40 to 50 yards trying to drop the ball in what looks like an oversized fishing net in the corner of the end zone. If one of the three quarterbacks hits one during a practice, it's a good day. Rodgers hit four in the night practice, including an incredible three in a row. He pumped his fist like Tiger Woods after each one. Then in team drills, he threw over the head of cornerback Al Harris and into the arms of Greg Jennings for a long gain. He also led Donald Driver perfectly on a ball that cornerback Charles Woodson tipped away at the last second. Now if Rodgers could just stop throwing interceptions to safety Nick Collins. Rodgers threw his fifth pick in eight practices in team drills, with three going to Collins. Another by Aaron Rouse in the morning didn't count because the defense was offsides, and Rodgers treated it as a free play.

THUMBS DOWN

There's a reason Mike McCarthy brought in Dom Capers' blitz-heavy defense. Aside from Cullen Jenkins and Aaron Kampman, he doesn't have any pass rushers. In one-on-one drills in the night practice, the offensive line absolutely dominated the defensive line and outside linebackers. In the first round, Jenkins, Anthony Toribio, Ryan Pickett and Mike Montgomery were the only victors in 24 attempts. In the next round the offensive line won 12 of the 13 matchups, the only non-victory a draw between Montgomery and tackle Allen Barbre. Maybe it was just an off night for the line, or maybe the absence of Clay Matthews (hamstring) and B.J. Raji (contract) contributed to the failures. But more likely it's an indication of the lack of pass-rush talent the Packers have in their front line and how much help they're going to need from blitzing linebackers.

Is the second one a surprise? 3-4 defenses basically have three DTs playing on the line. You don't see many great 3-4 pass rushing DL. This would actually tell me that the switch was needed more than anything--because we basically had no DL other than Jenkins and Kampman who could get to the QB.

Pittsburgh had 51 sacks last year. 11.5 of them came from DL. Of course, we need to get pressure from our LBs.

GBRulz
08-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Dam those are nice.

The only L I've got is the 17-40, but I'm probably going to go to Falcons camp to play with my 70-300 f.4-5.6 IS next week some time.

Even saying you have one L lens is a big investment as most have $1,000+ price tags. I only one one myself, the 24-70 F2.8. Love it.

I didn't find it necessary to upgrade to L until I bought a 15MP. I noticed the high resolution on the camera really picked up the flaws on my cheaper lenses. I guess the way to go is to invest in glass and not the camera!

I would love to see your Atlanta TC pics though.

Waldo
08-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Dam those are nice.

Even saying you have one L lens is a big investment as most have $1,000+ price tags. I only one one myself, the 24-70 F2.8. Love it.

I didn't find it necessary to upgrade to L until I bought a 15MP. I noticed the high resolution on the camera really picked up the flaws on my cheaper lenses. I guess the way to go is to invest in glass and not the camera!

I would love to see your Atlanta TC pics though.

I absolutely love my 17-40, just wide enough to have wide angle effects (I have a crop sensor, a rebel xt), but the 40 is long enough for me to use it as a walkaround and it rarely leaves my camera. The saturation, contrast, and detail of the lens is exceptional. The pics that come out of my other lenses, the 50mm f/1.8 and 70-300 are very sharp (both are noted for their sharpness), but just blah looking compared to what my L takes.

Scott Campbell
08-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Awesome pics.

Agreed - thanks Michele.

MJZiggy
08-07-2009, 07:30 PM

Earth to PIP....

What was wrong with the image results? There's a lot you can do with a good composition and bad light. Do send the fun ones, you know how I love them...! Oh and just so you know, when you're down in NC, I'm going to look for an excuse to visit our Raleigh office so we're going out. I'm also coming in early spring when it's warmer there than here. PIP, you coming?