PDA

View Full Version : Woodson / Jennings talk about new defense...

packers11
08-02-2009, 05:42 PM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/52310287.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiD3aPc:_Yyc: aUU

Packers' Woodson has high hopes for 3-4 defense

By CHRIS JENKINS , Associated Press

Last update: August 2, 2009 - 4:28 PM
GREEN BAY, Wis. - The Green Bay Packers are starting a new season with an almost entirely new defensive coaching staff. So cornerback Charles Woodson figures it's now OK to say what a lot of players might have been thinking last season: The team's previous defensive scheme was too predictable.

"When you watched those games last year, you could call what we were running a lot of times, you know?" Woodson said Sunday. "It's one thing for things to look the same every play, but you can't just run the same thing every play."

And despite the time it took Packers players to make the offseason transition from last year's 4-3 scheme to a 3-4 alignment under new defensive coordinator Dom Capers, Woodson believes the extra work will pay off.

"This defense gives us a great chance to give the offense different looks, move around a little bit, just show them different things and keep (offenses) off-balance," Woodson said. "It's a defense you can have a lot of fun in."

And if Sunday morning's practice is any indication, the Green Bay Packers' pass rush could be a handful for opposing offenses this season. The Packers' offense generally ran the ball well but had trouble picking up some blitzes they hadn't seen before.

"They're attacking from all different angles," wide receiver Greg Jennings said. "They're making it tough on us as far as reading blitzes, adjusting to their blitzes. Blitz pickup has definitely been a challenge, just because of the way that Dom has those guys running and penetrating, looking like they're going to blitz, you have your eyes open."

Jennings said that wasn't the case last season when they were facing a defense more familiar to them.
"We understood that defense to perfection, pretty much, and we were able to pick them apart," Jennings said. "This defense, they can throw a lot of different schemes at you, and we never know what to expect. Especially with a coach like that (Capers), he's got those guys on their toes. Sometimes, I hate to say it, we're kind of on our heels because we don't know what to expect."

Packers linebacker A.J. Hawk said he expects the offense to adjust to the defense's new blitzes, providing some friendly competition in the first few days of camp.

"I think early on in camp like this, it's us — the offense_ kind of figuring out which blitzes we're throwing at them every day," Hawk said. "And then they'll come back tonight and they'll have a lot corrected and they'll block it and we'll throw new stuff at them. So it's a fun game in camp right now."

wist43
08-02-2009, 05:59 PM
They simply couldn't be serious contenders running the scheme they were running... so even though I think we are still lacking in front seven talent, going to the 3-4 was certainly a step in the right direction.

Drafting Raji and Matthews also a step in the right direction... it will take a couple 2-3 years to have a chance to be a top tier unit - assuming TT feels a sense of urgency to continue to build and transition that side of the ball.

Deputy Nutz
08-02-2009, 09:29 PM
I don't think they needed to switch to the 3-4 to be effective this season. I think they could have hired a guy like Greg Williams who runs the 4-3 and still have an effective defense.

Woodson hit the nail on the head, they did the same fricking thing every single play. If it was apparent to the casual fan, then I am certain offensive coordinators were licking their chops.

Bob Sanders had no balls. He did all of these real creative blitzes in the middle of the preseason but then went all plain jane as soon as the season started.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Another story on how Chuck likes it in Green Bay and what he thinks of the new defense.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090802/PKR07/90802031/1058/PKR01

Partial
08-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Another story on how Chuck likes it in Green Bay and what he thinks of the new defense.

One of the best free agent signings across the NFL in years. Without a doubt the guy has been a completely star. While it seemed like a big contract at the time of signing, I think most would argue that they have him at a bargain right now.

PlantPage55
08-02-2009, 10:25 PM

One of the best free agent signings across the NFL in years. Without a doubt the guy has been a completely star. While it seemed like a big contract at the time of signing, I think most would argue that they have him at a bargain right now.

Agreed. It's a big bargain and he still seems to go really far under the radar as far as the NFL media is concerned.