PDA

View Full Version : Bishop Captures Attention

Partial
08-04-2009, 12:07 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/52391717.html

rbaloha1
08-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Its possible Hawk is substituted by Bishop in certain schemes.

Do not expect Hawk resigned.

Waldo
08-04-2009, 11:58 AM
Boy.....

I am reminded of the last golden boy backup at LB that the press fell in love with, some fans were gaga over the prospects of him kicking our best linebacker to the curb.

Hodge is long gone now. And was never a serious threat to Barnett, despite what some believed.

Just let the Hawk bashing flow. Crow tastes good.

Despite all the Bishop talk (against backups no less), reporters described Hawk as being the player of the day yesterday. Against starters.

Patler
08-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Despite all the Bishop talk (against backups no less), reporters described Hawk as being the player of the day yesterday. Against starters.

Hawks big plays that were mentioned were not exactly against starters. Two of his plays were said to have come against Finley and Duke Preston. Preston had just come in for Colledge. Without those two plays, I wonder if the writers would have been so glowing in their reports yesterday? Maybe. Maybe not.

rbaloha1
08-04-2009, 12:09 PM
If I recall, Bishop's impact plays were in regular season NFL games. The percentage of impact plays against snaps is very good for Bishop and lackluster for Hawk.

Recall Coach Moss calling out Hawk for the lack of impact plays which can be the difference in making the playoffs.

Lurker64
08-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Hawk and Bishop are very different players. Bishop plays LB like a college LB, where he guesses what gap he should attack before the offense's play develops to the point where a "correct gap" exist. This means that when he guesses right, he'll blow up somebody in the backfield or get a sack, or commit some other kind of impact play. When he guesses wrong he gets burned, badly.

While not as quick to diagnose the play as Barnett, Hawk waits until it's clear what the offense is doing, and then half a tick later he attacks the appropriate spot of the offense. While this will result in many fewer TFLs and sacks, it means that on average the offense will be much less successful.

So which would you rather have on defense? Sacks, TFLs, and 60-yard touchdown runs -or- relatively few sacks and TFLs, but very few runs over 3 yards?

Unless Bishop learns how to play LB in the pros, his best role is on special teams. He's always going to look better than Hawk at a cursory glance, but Hawk is very much the superior player.

HarveyWallbangers
08-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Hawks big plays that were mentioned were not exactly against starters. Two of his plays were said to have come against Finley and Duke Preston. Preston had just come in for Colledge. Without those two plays, I wonder if the writers would have been so glowing in their reports yesterday? Maybe. Maybe not.

He made another tackle for no gain in today's practice with the first team offense in. (Well, whatever was left of the first time offense.) Who knows really. I don't take get too into individual plays. More the overall feel for how the player is doing. You have to take into account any reporter's bias though. I have no doubts that Hawk will get back to being a solid LB--as long as he's healthy.

Hawk also had this play:

Rodgers goes deep down the middle to Jermichael Finley who makes a terrific bobbling catch after Hawk first gets his hands on the ball.

Later, Chillar got burned in the same two minute drill.

Rodgers complete to Lee, who beat Chillar off the line. Touchdown.

Partial
08-04-2009, 08:10 PM
They should make Bishop pay rent for the amount of time he's ij the backfield.

McCarthy calls whole team in. Bishop again in it. Greene got knocked back and his hat knocked off.

rbaloha1
08-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Hawk and Bishop are very different players. Bishop plays LB like a college LB, where he guesses what gap he should attack before the offense's play develops to the point where a "correct gap" exist. This means that when he guesses right, he'll blow up somebody in the backfield or get a sack, or commit some other kind of impact play. When he guesses wrong he gets burned, badly.

While not as quick to diagnose the play as Barnett, Hawk waits until it's clear what the offense is doing, and then half a tick later he attacks the appropriate spot of the offense. While this will result in many fewer TFLs and sacks, it means that on average the offense will be much less successful.

So which would you rather have on defense? Sacks, TFLs, and 60-yard touchdown runs -or- relatively few sacks and TFLs, but very few runs over 3 yards?

Unless Bishop learns how to play LB in the pros, his best role is on special teams. He's always going to look better than Hawk at a cursory glance, but Hawk is very much the superior player.

The Packer rush defense was one of the worst in the NFL. The Packers gave up numerous runs over 3 yards while Hawk was in the game.

The 60 yard pass was a poor angle -- correctable and attributable to a lack of reps.

Your assessment of guesses are actually instincts -- a weakness of Hawk. Bishop attended Berkley and is not the dumb dumb being portrayed.

If Bishop received the same reps and playing time as Hawk, Bishop's number would far exceed Hawk. Yes, Bishop probably gives up more big plays but net gain in impact plays offset the bad plays. Ask Coach Moss.

Hawk=Another overhyped white athlete who probably used steroids at OSU.

ND72
08-04-2009, 09:18 PM

The Packer rush defense was one of the worst in the NFL. The Packers gave up numerous runs over 3 yards while Hawk was in the game.

The 60 yard pass was a poor angle -- correctable and attributable to a lack of reps.

Your assessment of guesses are actually instincts -- a weakness of Hawk. Bishop attended Berkley and is not the dumb dumb being portrayed.

If Bishop received the same reps and playing time as Hawk, Bishop's number would far exceed Hawk. Yes, Bishop probably gives up more big plays but net gain in impact plays offset the bad plays. Ask Coach Moss.

Hawk=Another overhyped white athlete who probably used steroids at OSU.

Seriously? overhyped player who used steroids? Serious? I played college football...the 3:30 am random drug test, is not fun, so drop that one.

And about Bishop's 'instincts"....I love the guy, but he is a college LB, he sees the gap, and he goes for it. It has been covered time and time again already in camp that Bishop couldn't cover a High School Freshman in a pass pattern.

pbmax
08-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Being smart, attending Berkeley (or OSU), guessing or instincts have nothing to do with one another. Plenty of horrible students have been tremendously instinctive football players. Bishop has demonstrated he can be allergic to coverage in practices, exhibitions and games. It wasn't one play.

He may prove to be a perfect fit to start in this defense, but that does not mean he is on the field for passing downs.

ND72
08-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Being smart, attending Berkeley (or OSU), guessing or instincts have nothing to do with one another. Plenty of horrible students have been tremendously instinctive football players. Bishop has demonstrated he can be allergic to coverage in practices, exhibitions and games. It wasn't one play.

He may prove to be a perfect fit to start in this defense, but that does not mean he is on the field for passing downs.

I have said all along he is the perfect rushing LB in the 3-4, just not a MLB in a 3-4.

Partial
08-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Sutton fumble. Bishop recovers. The guy is always around the ball.

I just liked this one:
McCarthy on if Jolly's getting closer: "Yeah, I think so. He showed up in the fight so I guess that's a good sign." Shocking.

SnakeLH2006
08-05-2009, 01:49 AM
Boy.....

I am reminded of the last golden boy backup at LB that the press fell in love with, some fans were gaga over the prospects of him kicking our best linebacker to the curb.

Hodge is long gone now. And was never a serious threat to Barnett, despite what some believed.

You aren't talking about your man-love for Jeremy Thompson the LB are ya, Waldo? It may hurt that Clay took his spot and hasn't looked back, eh? LOL J/K.....kinda, but Bishop is a beast.

That guy (Bishop unlike JT) makes plays and plays with ferocity. J. Thomp was a dude without pads in minicamps as a placeholder for Clay. Clay's starting spot is written all over it. Hawk will be fine too. There's just something about instinctive football players that Snake loves. Hawk will get there, Barnett is there, Kampy is just balling, Clay has it in his genes. Bishop just wants to punish peeps. JThomp is looking like a dude wanting a paycheck.

JSO made some good points 2 days ago saying Wynn got completely overwhelmed by Bishop (with Wynn's quotes all over it).

All aboard the Bishop bandwagon yo....Snake started it a year ago, and never wavered. This kid will be a starter (don't know where) but at some point soon (within a year). Not much of a LB J. Thompson fan, as he's just pedestrian IMO (never made half the plays Bishop made preseason or reg. season)..

Bishop with pads is a fucking terror for opposing O's. Love that guy. Glad to see that it's happening.

BTW, Snake prefers crow cooked medium rare, Waldo. I wanna taste the blood. Unleash the Bishop Beast! :no: Never question the Bishop.

Tarlam!
08-05-2009, 03:14 AM

Loved this line, Waldo! My man-crush on Hawk is alive and well, so i appreciate your defending him.

Still, I am intrigued by what Wynn has to say about Bishop. That's not just press-hype. That's a teammate being publicly respectful.

And I also like how bishop handled himself in the press by not making any over-the-top claims. "play a little and contribute" is pretty humble stuff. And the "I think I have" rather than the definitive "I've always" stands out as coming from a guy not in love with his own press clippings.

I know Hawk was a #5, and it's his job to lose, but I gotta believe we start the best guys this year. If that's Bishop over Hawk, so be it. There's too much on the line for TT and M3 after last year's dismal record.

Lurker64
08-05-2009, 03:32 AM
Bishop's not terrible, and he will certainly get snaps (in short yardage packages especially), but he's definitely not in line to start. He'll get you killed if he's one of the four starting LBs. But as a sub, for certain situations... he may well kill somebody else.

Considering that he's a pretty good special teamer, he's already made the roster. But he's going to need to show very different skills than he is displaying currently in order to put his name in for starting duty.

SnakeLH2006
08-05-2009, 03:33 AM

! My man-crush on Hawk is alive and well, so i appreciate your defending him.

Still, I am intrigued by what Wynn has to say about Bishop. That's not just press-hype. That's a teammate being publicly respectful.

And I also like how bishop handled himself in the press by not making any over-the-top claims. "play a little and contribute" is pretty humble stuff. And the "I think I have" rather than the definitive "I've always" stands out as coming from a guy not in love with his own press clippings.

I know Hawk was a #5, and it's his job to lose, but I gotta believe we start the best guys this year. If that's Bishop over Hawk, so be it. There's too much on the line for TT and M3 after last year's dismal record.

I agree Tarlam! and Waldo. Hawk has his best yet. I like Hawk, but thanks Tarlam! as I see Bishop getting some play time THIS season. Hawk might pan out, and I like him, but JT is just a guy. Bishop looks the player.

Snake likes chess. Bishops run amok. Hawks are pretty good too. Let the pieces fall where they lie. Bishop will get his shot soon. Just too damn instinctive to not let play.

Partial
08-05-2009, 04:12 AM

Loved this line, Waldo! My man-crush on Hawk is alive and well, so i appreciate your defending him.

Good post. I agree whole-heartedly.

ThunderDan
08-05-2009, 08:30 AM
You can't afford to have a guy who gives up 1 or 2 touchdowns a game in the starting line up because of blown assignments.

As fun as seeing a LB blow a play up is, unless Bishop can improve on his pass coverage and instincts to know which hole to cover he cannot be a starter in the NFL.

That being said I hope he improves and can be a long-term solution. Who knows for sure how Barnett will play after the surgery?

Fritz
08-05-2009, 09:49 AM
People love the big hits and get all exzcited, but Bishop couldn't cover his nuts with both hands. He's a huge liability against the pass.

A few years ago, we - and I include myself - were drooling over Poppinga - great motor! Big hitter!

And now lots of us wants to dump him.

sharpe1027
08-05-2009, 10:15 AM
As a professional athlete in another sport once said: Practice? We're talking about practice?

Even so, competetion from an unexpected source is a good problem to have.

hoosier
08-05-2009, 10:22 AM
People love the big hits and get all exzcited, but Bishop couldn't cover his nuts with both hands. He's a huge liability against the pass.

A few years ago, we - and I include myself - were drooling over Poppinga - great motor! Big hitter!

There's a movement afoot to dump Poop?!? :lol:

rbaloha1
08-05-2009, 10:46 AM
You can't afford to have a guy who gives up 1 or 2 touchdowns a game in the starting line up because of blown assignments.

As fun as seeing a LB blow a play up is, unless Bishop can improve on his pass coverage and instincts to know which hole to cover he cannot be a starter in the NFL.

That being said I hope he improves and can be a long-term solution. Who knows for sure how Barnett will play after the surgery?

Yes, Bishop needs to improve in pass coverage but this correctable thru increased reps and playing time. Yes, he gave up one big pass play -- but recall Bishop just entered the game with no chance for warming-up and practice reps.

What about the impact plays?

The test for Hawk is if the Packers resign him. Unsure when Hawk's k is finished.

rbaloha1
08-05-2009, 10:48 AM

Please do not compare Poop to Bishop -- no instincts to instincts.

ThunderDan
08-05-2009, 11:01 AM

Yes, Bishop needs to improve in pass coverage but this correctable thru increased reps and playing time. Yes, he gave up one big pass play -- but recall Bishop just entered the game with no chance for warming-up and practice reps.

The test for Hawk is if the Packers resign him. Unsure when Hawk's k is finished.

I'll believe it when I see it that he has improved his passing coverage skills. Bishop I believe has reached his ceiling for pass coverage. You may be able to get him to be in a better position but he just doesn't cover well even in good position to start a play.

I hope I'm wrong, but what is all of a sudden going to happen that will make the lighbulb go off this year when it hasn't in the past?

Cheesehead Craig
08-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Bishop couldn't cover his nuts with both hands.
First hand knowledge? :lol:

Waldo
08-05-2009, 11:09 AM

After 2011. He's only halfway into his contract.

CaptainKickass
08-05-2009, 11:44 AM
The one thing that Bishop has going for him is his name - Bishop.

Like the chess piece. Or related to the clergy.

Nobody wants to screw with the clergy after all.

cheesner
08-05-2009, 12:19 PM

There's a bowel movement afoot to dump Poop?!? :lol: