PDA

View Full Version : O Line And Position Shuffling Practice #5

pbmax
08-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Its early, but there seems to be a serious attempt to keep projected starters (even first timers) at one position, no more than two.

With Clifton and Colledge out of practice, Bedard had this as the Number 1 unit:

Moll Lang Spitz Sitton Barbre the 1 line

Which means that unlike years past, the backups are doing the 3 position shuffling (Moll has now been at RG, LG and LT and Lang at RG, RT and LG). McCarthy's steadfastness will be tested if he gets Colledge back and one of the tackle positions opens up. But so far, his goal looks like it is being realized.

Barber has only been at RT. Wells has been at center and guard, same with Preston and Spitz. Clifton, Colledge, Sitton, Meredith and Giacomini have been at one spot that I have seen mentioned.

hoosier
08-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Maybe it's just my imagination but everything I've read this off season about the OL seems to be based on the assumption that Spitz is going to take Wells's job. Maybe that's even the scenario that the coaching staff would prefer, since it puts Spitz at what might be his best position, gets rid of a guy who had major health problems and who might not anchor well enough, and opens up a spot for Stitton.

But what happens if Wells holds onto his job? Does Spitz rotate back to RG and compete with Stitton?

bobblehead
08-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Maybe it's just my imagination but everything I've read this off season about the OL seems to be based on the assumption that Spitz is going to take Wells's job. Maybe that's even the scenario that the coaching staff would prefer, since it puts Spitz at what might be his best position, gets rid of a guy who had major health problems and who might not anchor well enough, and opens up a spot for Stitton.

But what happens if Wells holds onto his job? Does Spitz rotate back to RG and compete with Stitton?

that is a great question. I think many here haven't even considered that wells beats out spitz. My guess is that MM prefers the spitz C, Sitton RG scenario, but if wells holds on he will indeed let spitz battle it out with sitton and be the backup center either way. Spitz can play either guard or center with college being the backup LT....in effect spitz could back up 4 positions. Only in the case of RT going down would spitz not be the guy coming in.

Waldo
08-04-2009, 03:16 PM
To consider:
Of Wells-Spitz-Sitton

The ability and experience to play LG-C-RG makes Spitz more valuable as a backup than Sitton, who has only played RG, and Wells, who is more of a center-only.

pbmax
08-04-2009, 05:26 PM

that is a great question. I think many here haven't even considered that wells beats out spitz. My guess is that MM prefers the spitz C, Sitton RG scenario, but if wells holds on he will indeed let spitz battle it out with sitton and be the backup center either way. Spitz can play either guard or center with college being the backup LT....in effect spitz could back up 4 positions. Only in the case of RT going down would spitz not be the guy coming in.
The coaches clearly prefer Sitton as they have given him number 1 reps two camps in a row. I think they prefer Spitz at center for the reason Bobble and Waldo refer to; the ability to play multiple positions. McCarthy has also mentioned getting bigger inside.

The worst scenario from a roster construction standpoint it Bobble's question. Wells clearly outplays Spitz and Sitton/Spitz is close. My guess is they both stay unless they both stink out the joint. Regardless of the starter, as a pair they can cover 3 positions. Having two lineman (incl. Clifton) who play just one spot is doable. But that might be it.