PDA

View Full Version : Michael Vick? TT Is One of 8 Teams To Not Say No! Sign Vick?

SnakeLH2006
08-05-2009, 02:28 AM
It's all over ESPN/news reports that TT MAY be interested:

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/2009/08/05/0805nflnotes.html

NFL notes: Green Bay a potential destination for Vick
Texans suffer two significant injuries early.
ASSOCIATED PRESS
Wednesday, August 05, 2009

GREEN BAY, Wis. — The Packers might just be an option for Michael Vick.

Asked whether Green Bay would be interested in the scandal-tainted quarterback, general manager Ted Thompson didn't rule it out Tuesday.

"We're always looking to improve our team," Thompson said. "We look at all options at all times. I wouldn't care to speculate in terms of the odds or the percentages (of signing Vick) or anything like that."

While it's hard to imagine the Packers inviting another major distraction to training camp after enduring the circus-like atmosphere of last summer's Brett Favre unretirement saga, the case could be made that Vick would be a valuable asset.

Green Bay has a highly regarded young starting quarterback in Aaron Rodgers, but it has a pair of inexperienced second-year players, Matt Flynn and Brian Brohm, backing him up. Vick could bring experience to the position if there is an injury to Rodgers, who has been injury-prone.

And while the Packers haven't used the so-called "wildcat" formation, Vick's running ability could add a scoring threat to their backfield.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Might not have read this...but even CWood wouldn't mind.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/08/04/packers-charles-woodson-would-welcome-michael-vick-in-green-bay/

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Now that the Packers aren't on the "Forget it" list for quarterback Michael Vick, Green Bay cornerback Charles Woodson says he would have no problem welcoming the controversial player to his team.

"Nah. Not at all. What happened with Mike Vick is unfortunate, but he's done his time. He's had to take responsibility for that," said Woodson, the former Heisman Trophy winner and a five-time Pro Bowler who has become one of the spiritual leaders of the Packers and is among the most influential players in the locker room.

"If he were to come here, we're all grown men, and we would have to accept him as a teammate, if that were the case," Woodson said Tuesday night before the Packers' scrimmage at Ray Nitschke Field. "To have him, that's another weapon. We understand that.

"We know that people have their dislike toward Vick. We understand that. But at the same time, he's a man. Men make mistakes. To have him here -- I don't want to speak for anybody, but I would welcome him.

"I'm trying to win a championship. So what anybody says outside of [this team], I don't care anything about that."

Green Bay general manager Ted Thompson said Tuesday he would not rule out Vick in a Packers' uniform, a departure from the norm around the NFL. Most teams have emphatically said they would not even consider Vick as a free-agent addition, much less sign him.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Personally Snake has NEVER been much of Vick fan since VTech....either the QB or person....But his talent is maybe the top of the NFL as a player..It's pretty clear that Mike Vick messed up....BADLY.

What isn't clear is the team he signs for and how much......Mobb will be all aboard giving him $10 million to start, LOL, but realistically..Vick is megatalented and looks he's a better man now out to prove himself (Snake forgives him.....we all are human).

Per ESPN tonite, only 8 teams were still available for him to sign with in the NFL as EVERY OTHER team said hell no or equivalent.

I don't have that list, 8 teams from some hours ago DID NOT SAY NO to Mike Vick.

Snake loves his talent and would love to incorporate him (Vick) as a Wildcat option and Goal Line as he's a dumbfuck, but an incredible talent.

Been saying it for years (he wins at QB with a low QB rating) but does enough to win (usually 10+ wins yearly as a QB) but he should be a Slash type option (aka Kordell Stewart) with PR, KR, WR, RB, and a few QB options.

I don't like what he did (but he served his time) and would NOT mind seeing TT sign him to a 2 year deal (not 1 as we get little out of it....maybe 2 years and 6 million overall with incentives if he starts at QB)....

That's not a lot of money cuz we have shitloads of salary cap space even now. But hell, think of the possibilities of Vick subbing out for Arod in a Wildcat formation....or Vick at RB as an option goalline. Damn.

Snake loves dogs. But I'd forgive it to give us an incredible option in the Red Zone. ARod behind center with Vick at RB....Run some option shit, or whatever....score at will with the pitch either run or pass.

Gotta like that. He paid his dues. Sign the guy. TT looks like he's amiable to it as there's only 8 teams left via ESPN that haven't said, "No, he's not an option." Sign him up. Thus the poll. But either way....wouldn't shock Snake if the TT signed him (and prob. locks him to a 2 year multi year deal to get us the most out of it).

Thoughts? He'd (Vick) be a terror with ARod...

5 Snaps as a sub QB, 10 as RB, 5 as WR......phenom as KR/PR.....much money's worth IMO. Sign that dog-killing SOB!

This is much better as he'd need at least a year to adjust, no team wants him to start at QB this year..give him a 2 year deal to pan out what he can do....Always thought he'd be much better just playing QB in spots, but a terror at RB, WR (with his speed/passing ability) and at PR/KR?

Nay or yay?

Snake wouldn't mind at a price (albeit reasonable and if we could get him for more than tryout....more than 1 year)...

Tarlam!
08-05-2009, 02:53 AM
http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/2009/08/05/0805nflnotes.html

"We're always looking to improve our team," Thompson said. "We look at all options at all times. I wouldn't care to speculate in terms of the odds or the percentages (of signing Vick) or anything like that."

This is and should be the standard response from TT when asked about ANY potential player additon. Anything else would probably cause unrest in the locker room or be some type of distraction.

"If he were to come here, we're all grown men, and we would have to accept him as a teammate, if that were the case," ..."To have him, that's another weapon. We understand that...."I'm trying to win a championship. So what anybody says outside of [this team], I don't care anything about that."

This is a very professional public statement, IMO. There is little chance of offending anyone with these comments. Man, I'm really stoked that this mature DB is playing for the Pack.

Tarlam!
08-05-2009, 02:57 AM
As for my 2 cents on TT acquiring Vick, I voted no, thank you. I can't imagine the guy being the Green Bay, WI. type. I think he'd be a time bomb in a place where Applebee's has been described as the chicest restaurant in town (pathetic parting words from a has-been kicker).

SnakeLH2006
08-05-2009, 03:00 AM

This is and should be the standard response from TT when asked about ANY potential player additon. Anything else would probably cause unrest in the locker room or be some type of distraction.

"If he were to come here, we're all grown men, and we would have to accept him as a teammate, if that were the case," ..."To have him, that's another weapon. We understand that...."I'm trying to win a championship. So what anybody says outside of [this team], I don't care anything about that."

This is a very professional public statement, IMO. There is little chance of offending anyone with these comments. Man, I'm really stoked that this mature DB is playing for the Pack.

LOL. Tarlam! as TT's vanilla quotes are legendary. CWood is a leader/real man..Neither surprises Snake as that is what they are/were gonna say if a nuke went off and killed billions. Those quotes are the same stuff no matter what....

Tarlam! you are full of opinions, though, or at least I thought? What do you think? I hated Vick for a long time...but on the cheap, this makes the Pack potent. Personally, I feel he served his time, and according to Dungy is much changed. I'm with it. Sign the dude for cheap. What a weapon. Where do you stand Tarlam! as PackerRats hinges on this. :shock: 8-) :lol: Love ya man either way. Peace bro. LOL.

SnakeLH2006
08-05-2009, 03:08 AM
As for my 2 cents on TT acquiring Vick, I voted no, thank you. I can't imagine the guy being the Green Bay, WI. type. I think he'd be a time bomb in a place where Applebee's has been described as the chicest restaurant in town (pathetic parting words from a has-been kicker).

Longwell has German heritage. And..Snake LOVES Appelebee's. 2 for 20 (get 2 entrees with appetizers)...can't beat that. Damn. 8-)

LOL...but for real..Vick will be fine ANYWHERE in the NFL. He has no options.....and as a threat anywhere on the field. Fuck it. Take it on. He has nothing to lose....Probably the MOST talented NFL player this side of Gale Sayers. Incredible talent...10 cent head. That is fixable. Go Pack! TT might think so.

Tarlam!
08-05-2009, 03:23 AM
I don't question Vick's athletic ability or his talent. He hasn't demonstrated much in the way of decision-making to me, either on or off of the gridiron. He just doesn't seem to be too clever, and we need talented, clever football players.

Vick also has demonstrated a decent sized ego. Let's say TT does sign him and things work out for, say, 2 months. the press gets all gooey, the fans buy Vick jerseys, the whole shebang.

Does Vick stay the humble, contributing Packer, or does Mr. Hyde come back and bite TT in the ass?

He may get you into the playoffs and then be the reason you fall apart. Is it worth the risk? Is he "the missing piece"?

I still say no.

SnakeLH2006
08-05-2009, 03:41 AM
I don't question Vick's athletic ability or his talent. He hasn't demonstrated much in the way of decision-making to me, either on or off of the gridiron. He just doesn't seem to be too clever, and we need talented, clever football players.

Vick also has demonstrated a decent sized ego. Let's say TT does sign him and things work out for, say, 2 months. the press gets all gooey, the fans buy Vick jerseys, the whole shebang.

Does Vick stay the humble, contributing Packer, or does Mr. Hyde come back and bite TT in the ass?

He may get you into the playoffs and then be the reason you fall apart. Is it worth the risk? Is he "the missing piece"?

I still say no.

Tarlam! your opinion is of very few I take of solace on PR. But maybe you are looking at Vick as a QB? Snake is not. I'm looking at him as a weapon ANYWHERE on the field...As a QB, hell no....Maybe #2....he fucked up with the whole gangbang dog-fight thing....Sure... But i doubt he implodes the whole GB organization within months. Seems the changed man albeit at least a lil' bit. No way I want him as the face of GB, but as a KR/PR/WR/RB/change of pace at QB....why not? Can't hurt, no?

I seriously doubt Vick has ANY EGO left? Like NONE. He ain't Jesus (and fucking far from walking on water) but why not as a weapon? That's all I advocate...he'd be a beast...with no more cred than say a DD as just another guy who makes plays. Sounds like you think he's gonna cure cancer/or wants to with the jersey thing? Far from it...Just a guy who makes insane plays trying to get his football career back afloat. Snake has no probs with that on the cheap. Truly, I think TT, and Vick, know that he just needs to reset and move on...and start over. No prob. here....Let him do it (cheaply).

Chevelle2
08-05-2009, 04:17 AM
Check out the poll

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/3649/picture7h.png

Interesting that

1) Minny does NOT want us to sign him

2) WI is very close, closer than i thought it would be.

EDIT:

Check the percentages here

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPollResultsState?sportIndex=nfl&pollId=75631

Rastak
08-05-2009, 06:11 AM
Newsflash, Minny doesn't want you to sign anyone.....LOL.

I personally wouldn't care. I think the organization could deal with the protesters at every game but I'm not so sure the guy will be worth that much after almost 3 years away from the game, if you count this offseason.

For what it's worth, TT merely said he doesn't close the door on anything, he never indicated any interest.

Bretsky
08-05-2009, 07:36 AM
not a Packer person

Cheesehead Craig
08-05-2009, 08:21 AM
A completely nothing comment that the media is running away with. No story here, move along.

cheesner
08-05-2009, 08:54 AM
If signing Vick will piss off PETA people, I am all for it.

bobblehead
08-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Yea, daily protests, reporters shoving the mic in everyones face asking them about vick. I don't see how anything could go wrong with that, no distractions or anything. Lets resign Brent while we are creating a circus.

edit: Since the press decided to completely misrepresent TT's actual quote (which started with "Lets see, how do we usually address these types of questions" before he went into his canned response....should have been translated as "hell no, but I won't come right out and say that....ever....because if I always give the same canned response no one can know what I might do")

Now unfortunately since the press has decided to create legs where there are none, TT's next statement will be "We looked into it, like we do all FA's and decided that it didn't fit with what we are trying to do here". He will then follow by saying nice things about Vick doing his time and showing remorse, and wishing Michael Vick well....somewhere other than Green Bay.

Fritz
08-05-2009, 09:44 AM
On the one hand, if Dan Devine was in Green Bay, why not Mikey Vick?

On the other hand, I would not sign him at the expense of Brohm or Flynn. He'd have to be signed as a kind of special position - but then who would you cut? A special teams guy? Where would you cut? A running back?

Let's just skip it.

Pugger
08-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Boy, the press is really dumpster diving for a story here, aren't they? :roll:

There is a reason why Vick is still sitting at home waiting for his phone to ring. I can't think of many teams outside of Oakland that would want Vick and the baggage that comes with him. Plus Vick wouldn't be a good fit here in GB with the offense we run. This is one big non-story.

ThunderDan
08-05-2009, 10:36 AM
How about he has one season with a QB rating about 80? How about his last 3 years in the league he has average approximately 2,400 yards passing? Even if he rushes for 800 yards the Packers offense looses 1,000 yards from the QB spot if he plays. Is he worth the roster spot if he is on the field for only 5 snaps a game?

Those are my football thoughts on Michael Vick.

pbmax
08-05-2009, 10:55 AM
All the reports are ignoring the what Thompson said prior to the quote: "What do we always say about questions like this...." He was dismissing it. Or it was the best soft pedal acting job I have ever seen.

CaptainKickass
08-05-2009, 11:42 AM
One again, I say "Fuck Mike Vick".

I wouldn't even want to have him working in my office much less play on my favorite NFL team.

TT will sign Mike Vick to the Green & Gold. Right after he cuts Aaron Rodgers and Charles Woodson to make room.

Merlin
08-05-2009, 12:58 PM
There was a time in the history of this franchise where we didn't tolerate, seek, nor hint at the option to sign a player with questionable character, especially those that had been convicted of a crime. Thompson should have said that Michael Vick's questionable past does not make him a likely fit for the Green Bay Packers. Even entertaining the idea for a microsecond is ridiculous because Vick never was a good NFL QB, especially one that would fit into the west coast offense. Unless Thompson's next move is the run and shoot....

Patler
08-05-2009, 02:09 PM
There was a time in the history of this franchise where we didn't tolerate, seek, nor hint at the option to sign a player with questionable character, especially those that had been convicted of a crime.

Do you really believe that?
I will agree that the Packers haven't had as many of those types of players as some teams have had, but they haven't completely avoided them for any appreciable period that I can recall, and that goes back a ways!

hoosier
08-05-2009, 02:47 PM
There was a time in the history of this franchise where we didn't tolerate, seek, nor hint at the option to sign a player with questionable character, especially those that had been convicted of a crime. Thompson should have said that Michael Vick's questionable past does not make him a likely fit for the Green Bay Packers. Even entertaining the idea for a microsecond is ridiculous because Vick never was a good NFL QB, especially one that would fit into the west coast offense. Unless Thompson's next move is the run and shoot....

Oh for the good old days of Ahman Green, Mark Chmura, Ty Williams, Mossy Cade, James Lofton, Paul Hornung....

mission
08-05-2009, 03:10 PM
I see all the republicans have chimed in ...

Anyway, here's what I think:

1 - We have a firmly established starting QB. There will be no discussion or hints of QB controversy. At all.

2. We have no experience at backup QB.

3. It's northern Wisconsin. The stands are filled with hunters. If anyone is not *really* going to have a huge problem with dog fighting, it's them (you guys, whoever). It's probably the only place in the NFL that doesn't already have a relatively strong PETA contingency.

4. The media distraction thing is way overrated in Green Bay. It won't be a huge problem. What are they going to be asking him all year? "Do you think you should be starting?" I mean... there are like four reporters in Green Bay.

5. Where Oakland might be the place bad guys go to get worse, GB is the place bad guys can come and clean up their act. There's no night life, no goon squad hanging out year 'round, etc ...

6. Much of Vick's reputation was built on him being in Atlanta, black Hollywood. That guy was literally idolized here beyond anything Brett Favre ever experienced.

7. He's humbled and especially will be after all these teams have took passes.

8. I love the idea of him out of the back field, as a slot guy and a special teamer. If you guys think Rodgers is going to lose 1000 yards passing because of Vick on the team you're out of your mind.

Completely.

hoosier
08-05-2009, 03:14 PM
3. It's northern Wisconsin. The stands are filled with hunters. If anyone is not *really* going to have a huge problem with dog fighting, it's them (you guys, whoever). It's probably the only place in the NFL that doesn't already have a relatively strong PETA contingency.

You're saying there are places in this country where the mere mention of PETA doesn't cause the average football fan to start frothing at the mouth???

EDIT: Nevermind, I thought you were using "northern Wisconsin" and football fans interchangably. An understandable mistake on my part, but clearly not what you meant. :lol:

pbmax
08-05-2009, 03:25 PM

You're saying there are places in this country where the mere mention of PETA doesn't cause the average football fan to start frothing at the mouth???

EDIT: Nevermind, I thought you were using "northern Wisconsin" and football fans interchangably. An understandable mistake on my part, but clearly not what you meant. :lol:
Well, I am not a hunter, but the hunters I know are pretty attached to their dogs. Not in the lap dog Paris Hilton/future Cesar Milan client enabling way, but close none the less. So I am not sure they are down with dog fighting, but...

I am sure there is no love lost for PETA.

BallHawk
08-05-2009, 03:26 PM
While the two aren't on a completely comparable level, Koren Robinson was brought in after a heavy suspension and much question about his character. He ended up being an asset to the team, both on the field and in the locker room.

Of course, dog fighting and drunken driving aren't exactly tic for tac, but it does prove that Ted will take a chance on a guy who's been in trouble with the law. Not always. Not usually. But sometimes.

MichiganPackerFan
08-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Pros & Cons (character debate aside)

Cons: You'd have to be ready to give up on the prospects Brohm and Flynn and cut one of them or carry a 4th QB on the roster

Pros:
Have a backup with experience who could give you a chance to win a game. Neither of the current backups do that.
I haven't forgotten the painful experience of Vick knowing how to win a playoff game in Lambeau either. (Something the Dearly Departed struggled to do in latter years)

hoosier
08-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Pros & Cons (character debate aside)

Cons: You'd have to be ready to give up on the prospects Brohm and Flynn and cut one of them or carry a 4th QB on the roster

Pros:
Have a backup with experience who could give you a chance to win a game. Neither of the current backups do that.
I haven't forgotten the painful experience of Vick knowing how to win a playoff game in Lambeau either. (Something the Dearly Departed struggled to do in latter years)

I think at this point a team could reasonably make a one-year minimum offer to Vick that had no QB strings attached. No plans to use him as anything but a "slash" type player or in "wildcat" formations. At most that puts him on the field for half a dozen plays per game, and nobody sees him as a threat to start moving up the QB ladder. No need to cut Flynn or Brohm, just limit roster to one fullback or two tight ends. If Humphries doesn't show something more than a glimmer of promise in preseason that might be an attractive option.

mission
08-05-2009, 03:41 PM
@Hoosier - ;-) ya, I had no idea what you were talking about (im sure yall say that about my posts from time to time).

I'm a pit bull owner (multiple in the past). I have one of the most laid-back, lapdog lovers that anyone has ever met. Dog haters (people scared of big dogs) come over and fall in love, I've trained her from day 1 to be soft and obedient. I bought the SI issue with the pit bull on the cover and read it happy to find many of those dogs found homes.

I hated Vick for awhile, I was NEVER a fan of him in Atlanta. He was exciting to watch but nothing else for me ...

I just think if he can fit ANYWHERE in the NFL, it's Green Bay. There aren't a lot of places that will allow him to rehabilitate his career.

"High Fivin", Dahla... (roll the 'L')

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/89/m_ed86dc3203d71e4141c3c992c4a0fc1d.jpg

bobblehead
08-05-2009, 04:34 PM
I see all the republicans have chimed in ...

Why mission, whatever do you mean?? That wouldn't be cheap shot regarding....oh nevermind. If you want to actually debate politics rather than take cheap shots with no founding in reality then come over to FYI and get your but kicked logically like all the other democrats.

Kinda funny that you posted that immediately following a post by hoosier....most likely the purest liberal in the forum.

Lurker64
08-05-2009, 05:06 PM
If called into duty to drive the ball down the field to win the game, I trust Vick more than any of our current backup QBs. In terms of "getting involved in the offense in other ways", I also trust Vick a lot more than our current backup QBs.

The question would be, how much would the "Michael Vick circus" derail the rest of the team? Assuming that you could get Mike Vick in Green Bay and nobody noticed, I'd be okay with it. But do we really need to be a spectacle?

I'm more pro than con, but it's close.

Chevelle2
08-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Perhaps since we already HAD a distraction last season, we would be more able to deal with one again?

gbgary
08-05-2009, 06:32 PM
All the reports are ignoring the what Thompson said prior to the quote: "What do we always say about questions like this...." He was dismissing it. Or it was the best soft pedal acting job I have ever seen.

yes...he was just being kind.

Kiwon
08-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Personally, Vick has never struck me as a winner and leader despite the 10-year, $130 million contract he got.
http://www.badjocks.com/images/michael-vick-flips-the-bird.JPG

'06-07 was his best year statistically, but he's someone who trouble always seems to find....

Woman claims star NFL quarterback passed along herpes in 2003 - http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0405051vick1.html

http://sportsmedia.ign.com/sports/image/article/602/602086/jersey-of-the-week-ron-mexico-20050406031734738-000.jpg

"Miami police are investigating NFL star Michael Vick after airport screeners yesterday seized a water bottle from him at a security checkpoint and later discovered that the bottle included a "concealed compartment" that appeared to contain a small amount of marijuana." - http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2007/0118071mexico1.html

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/0118071mexico3.jpg

DonHutson
08-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Criminal behavior aside, Vick and his attrocious completion % seem like a terrible fit for the Pack's offense. And I don't see much point in creating special offensive packages and wasting the rest of the offenses practice time around a guy you haven't seen play in two years and who may yet be suspended for more games this year.

With those strikes against him, it's pretty easy to take the high road and let someone else take on those problems.

ThunderDan
08-05-2009, 07:31 PM
8. I love the idea of him out of the back field, as a slot guy and a special teamer. If you guys think Rodgers is going to lose 1000 yards passing because of Vick on the team you're out of your mind.

Mission, I was pointing out that Vick from behind center averaged 3,200 yards a season running and passing. Rodgers had 4,200 yards in his only season.

Why do you take the ball out of Rodgers hand and give it to Vick? There really is no reason to. Do you want to take away the 40 yard bomb to Jennings just to let Vick scramble for 10 yards?

Unless Vick can take more than 5 or 6 snaps a game he really is a liability on the roster. Do you put Grant and B Jack on the bench to let him play RB? Which of the WRs would sit instead of Vick?

Rastak
08-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Criminal behavior aside, Vick and his attrocious completion % seem like a terrible fit for the Pack's offense. And I don't see much point in creating special offensive packages and wasting the rest of the offenses practice time around a guy you haven't seen play in two years and who may yet be suspended for more games this year.

With those strikes against him, it's pretty easy to take the high road and let someone else take on those problems.

What he said.

:D

Packers4Ever
08-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Boy, the press is really dumpster diving for a story here, aren't they? :roll:

There is a reason why Vick is still sitting at home waiting for his phone to ring. I can't think of many teams outside of Oakland that would want Vick and the baggage that comes with him. Plus Vick wouldn't be a good fit here in GB with the offense we run. This is one big non-story.

Talk about the crowds booing if Brett returned? What do you think it would be with Vick? We have to forgive I guess, but remember, what Vick did was premeditated, he didn't just decide one afternoon to hang some dogs.

Is TT suddenly concerned about his QB's, that we won't have adequate coverage unless Vick is there to pitch in? I think he'd better show some
concern for his O line first.

Sorry but the whole idea makes me ill and I'd be willing to bet that TT
isn't really all that fired up about seeing him either. Not for Green Bay, no way !!

Fritz
08-05-2009, 10:03 PM
I think they should sign him, but only if they put "Mexico" on the back of his jersey.

Patler
08-06-2009, 04:58 AM
Sign him for cheap.
Showcase him for a year in limited situations.
Trade him for a first round pick, or more in 2010!

3irty1
08-06-2009, 09:40 AM
I think Vick's best football is yet to come. He had moderate success as a one man offense in Atlanta. I wouldn't know who to cut to make room for him but I wouldn't sign Vick as anything but a QB.

Waldo
08-06-2009, 10:26 AM
There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding as to the quality of Vick. One thing to keep in mind with him, unlike other QB's he did not pad his stats with checkdowns. He was the checkdown.

Numbers to chew on:
Adj YPA = (Pass Yd + Ru Yd - Sk Yd / PaAtt + RuAtt + Sk) How many yards on average were gained every time the QB did not hand the ball to a back
TD/Tou = (Pa TD + Ru TD / PaAtt + RuAtt + Sk) How many touchdowns on average were scored per QB touch (excluding handoffs)
TO/Tou = (Int + FL / PaAtt + RuAtt + Sk) How many turnovers occurred on average per QB touch (excluding handoffs)
TD:TO = TD/Tou / TO/Tou Ratio of touchdowns generated to turnovers lost per touch of the ball by the QB (excluding handoffs)

In other words, how effective was the QB at generating YDs, TD's, and limiting TO's:

Mike Vick (career minus rookie year):
Adj YPA: 5.8
TD/Tou: 0.039
TO/Tou: 0.031
TD:TO: 1.25

Brett Favre (2000-present):
Adj YPA: 6.2
TD/Tou: 0.043
TO/Tou: 0.038
TD:TO: 1.14

Aaron Rodgers (2008):
Adj YPA: 6.4
TD/Tou: 0.051
TO/Tou: 0.026
TD:TO: 2.00

Tarvaris Jackson (2007 & 2008):
Adj YPA: 5.80
TD/Tou: 0.038
TO/Tou: 0.036
TD:TO: 1.05

Jason Campbell (2007 & 2008):
Adj YPA: 5.60
TD/Tou: 0.025
TO/Tou: 0.024
TD:TO: 1.04

Jay Cutler (2007 & 2008):
Adj YPA: 6.70
TD/Tou: 0.039
TO/Tou: 0.031
TD:TO: 1.26

Eli Manning (since full time starting):
Adj YPA: 5.70
TD/Tou: 0.041
TO/Tou: 0.034
TD:TO: 1.22

Jake Delhomme (time with Carolina as starter):
Adj YPA: 6.30
TD/Tou: 0.045
TO/Tou: 0.036
TD:TO: 1.23

Some facts without any analysis.

Fritz
08-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Would people in favor of signing Vick be willing to let go of Flynn or Broh, I wonder? If so, which guy and why?

Waldo
08-06-2009, 10:32 AM
One thing to keep in mind.....

If he were to be signed after Family Night, then brought up to speed slowly and not suit up for the first two PS games, finally suiting up week 3 in the PS, Vick would not actually suit up for a game at Lambeau until week 6 of the regular season.

The team is already in camp rhythm and the tone has been set. After Family Night they will be back into Lambeau rhythm and their fan relationship rhythm.

MichiganPackerFan
08-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Would people in favor of signing Vick be willing to let go of Flynn or Broh, I wonder? If so, which guy and why?

Neither can win a game yet. Need to develop each (and I think both have potential) into trade value.

Getting Vick doesn't make any sense because he just doesn't fit this offense. I could see him ending up in Minn long before GB. I don't think he's right to lead a west-coast-evolved offense.

Chevelle2
08-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Wayne Pacelle, the organization's CEO, says he initially was skeptical of getting involved with Vick but began to think Vick was sincere after visiting him at the Leavenworth prison. Rather than tape public service announcements for the Humane Society, Vick will speak to young people about his experiences and the pitfalls of dogfighting.

"We're tough on dogfighters," Pacelle says. "But at the same time, he's served his time and we're open to change. We want him to be a better person."

Pacelle, who also has visited Vick during his home confinement, recalls what Vick told him during their first meeting at the prison. "Mike said, 'I'm going to prove my attitude change with my deeds.' "

woodbuck27
08-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Sign him and turn him into a running back. He can't pass the ball with great success.

ThunderDan
08-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Sign him and turn him into a running back. He can't pass the ball with great success.

What about Grant & BJack? Vick has been successful running because he was the QB. Put him at RB and I bet he doesn't average over 4 yards a carry.

Partial
08-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Never going to happen. Much ado about nothing.

Chevelle2
08-06-2009, 08:26 PM
FWIW

http://packerslounge.com/work-out-for-vick

Chevelle2
08-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Humphrey broke his arm today.

Hello Mike Vick?

mission
08-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Any other word on this supposed workout???

SnakeLH2006
08-08-2009, 12:20 AM

This is all nonsense. The votes say as much as it's almost 45/55 voting to bring him in (Vick) yet most bashed it on posts.

That's ok, as Snake is NOT a Vick fan as a QB, but he has amazing physical skills and many have said he's changed (Snake has known some dudes that went to prison....and it's 50/50 if they really change...but after reading/hearing about him..I think he's different) and really, it's all about his talent which is top-notch (maybe the most talented player in the NFL) and I'm not talking QB (as he won games, but as a Slash QB-RB-WR-PR-KR)...that would be a boon to our or any system.

I don't think TT has any issues in 2009 with distractions, as this would be a BIG thing for a week or two on ESPN, but I really think Mike Vick wants to fit in and get a chance. 4.26 speed at QB is INSANE...put that at as an option at RB (as a decoy...not as BJ or Grant's replacement)...it's golden. Put him at WR...decoy....crazy stuff happens. Maybe we pass to him, and Vick (who has an incredible arm, just goes nuts and throws it to anyone) To say that Vick, the player, would not give the GB offense a shit ton of dynamite anytime he's on the field is insane.

NFL Defenses have to look at that (Vick on EVERY play he's on field). For the cheap cash we'd have to sign him, he'd do wonders for our O and ST. Just crazy....He wants a reboot and looks sincere. I'd take a chance on him for cheap.

Incredible fucking talent....maybe overhyped as a QB...but to think he's gonna cost Flynn/Brohm a roster spot. LMFAO. Even if he (Vick) was a QB, then hell, I'm sure TT would find a way to make Brohm go IR with a bum knee within a month. No matter what Flynn is the backup or at least 3 at QB...then figure out Vick's spot (at the expense of Brohm who really looks lost). Vick as the #2 QB looks awesome no matter what. Dude's QB rating is shit, but for the first time ever, Snake looked at his winning % as he's a winner...and even as a backup for cheap...he makes the Green Bay Packers BETTER in 2009 without a doubt. Sign the bastard. Can't wait to see him on PR/KR/Wildcat....TD at any moment.

It's RARE you get a shot at a physical freak that can affect the game positively in so many ways for oh so CHEAP. Dude fucked up with the dogs....I'm over it. Seems sincere...and hasn't been a TO type locker room cancer EVER. Paid his dues..I'm all with it. Sign him for cheap and trade him if must be, but GB (under TT) is totally the right place in a small market for Vick to get back on track. Dude's talent is over the top....I don't see much of a distraction, as he's never been a problem as an active player.

I see no problems in the future with Vick, but having him for $2 million a year in 2009? Is that a problem? Hell naw. Deal with him in the Wildcat or as a RB Goaline with ARod under center...UNFUCKINGSTOPPIBLE. Sign him now. Packer fans are great fans, but good peeps, and forgiving. This would be a great home/new beginning for Michael Vick.

He is no cancer. He fucked up. But at an affordable cost with his talent..shit. It's so easy to see a caveman would sign him. It all comes down to teams wanting to deal with the media. GB would be perfect. I don't see a big deal after he rips up a few preseason games. Guy messed up. Big deal. Top talent in the whole NFL for cheap that wants to repair his image. He's no Moss/Ocho Homo/TO IMHO. Seems ok. Not gonna cause any future waves...other than electrifying us Rats with his gameplay all over the FUCKING FIELD. Dude has tons of potential..and as cheap. Sign him TT. Done.

Freak Out
08-08-2009, 12:37 AM
Worry about Vick after you have Raji under contract.

SnakeLH2006
08-08-2009, 12:47 AM
Worry about Vick after you have Raji under contract.

Freak? What bearing if ANY does this have on Vick?

Like there is a precedent of 1st rounders not signing??? Oh crap...Crabtree is holding out? Shit....!!!!! BJ will be signed soon and has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with this.

So...we won't sign BJ for 5 years and almost 8 million per? Oh crap....Fuck.....That will happen anyday now. What does that have to do with Vick for $3 mill or so? Sign the guy.

BJ is old news. He's just waiting to see the 1st round #8-12 guys get deals to get his market value. What does that have to do with Vick (not like the Pack isn't crazily below the cap to sign ANYONE)??

The Leaper
08-08-2009, 01:13 AM
As mediocre as Vick is as an NFL QB...he's light years ahead of Brohm or Flynn right now despite the rust. As a #2 QB, I think he would provide value to the Packers. I think he's worth taking a look at.

SnakeLH2006
08-08-2009, 01:26 AM
As mediocre as Vick is as an NFL QB...he's light years ahead of Brohm or Flynn right now despite the rust. As a #2 QB, I think he would provide value to the Packers. I think he's worth taking a look at.

Exactfuckingatlatly........Vick's value is WAY beyond QB. That dude gives us options all over the field. Again, Snake don't think he's a cancer, and with his talent (second to none since Gale Sayers IMO)...why not?

Dude gives TT (the Pack) so many Offensive and ST options (as if this...) well we waive Bhrom (worst case scenario)...oh well....we got Michael Vick IMPACTING GAMES!!.....that guy wins games at WR/RB/some QB/and PR/KR....sobeit for cheap. He's not a TO. Snake is all aboard that train. :roll:

MichiganPackerFan
08-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Snake,

Really liked your breakdown there. The more I hear about Brohm, the more I think "COMPLETE Bust" and therefore expendable. I hope they can develop something there, but my optimism is waning.

The thing about bringing Vick in is it sounds like it's for the sole purpose of implementing gimmicky plays. Vick comes in for a snap and EVERYONE knows he's getting the ball. If he doesn't, people are complaining about the money and talent wasted on a distraction ('distraction' intended only in the sense of a distraction during a play, not off the field - I agree with you there)

SnakeLH2006
08-11-2009, 11:53 PM
Snake,

Really liked your breakdown there. The more I hear about Brohm, the more I think "COMPLETE Bust" and therefore expendable. I hope they can develop something there, but my optimism is waning.

The thing about bringing Vick in is it sounds like it's for the sole purpose of implementing gimmicky plays. Vick comes in for a snap and EVERYONE knows he's getting the ball. If he doesn't, people are complaining about the money and talent wasted on a distraction ('distraction' intended only in the sense of a distraction during a play, not off the field - I agree with you there)

The Brohm thing, I agree MIPackFan, to a point, as Brohm MAY work out, but he'll have 0 impact this year once again. Put him on IR somehow (happens all the time in the NFL). Even if they cut him...sobeit. Snake eyes don't cry.

Having a weapon like Vick is incredible. I really don't see it as a gimmick as some said, as he CAN and WILL impact the game even if he doesn't touch the ball. He would conform to our Offense (not just gimmick plays as those ATL coaches were poor and just gave him the ball and said, "Hey whatever dude, just win it."...He's had little coaching, but seems like a good guy, other than the dog hangings :shock: :cry: ) and would be a HUGE 2nd team QB option (or a few plays goalline or if Arod gets winded).

GB is perfect for Vick at his point in time (small market, great fans that want a winner) to get his career back on track. Snake is not a Vick fan so much, as a talent fan to a point. TO, Ocho...hell no. Vick paid his dues and didn't kill someone like Stallworth, yet got almost 2 years...Stallworth got 30 days. What's up with that? Snake won't debate that stuff, but hey, Vick is very well liked with his teammates and seems like a coachable guy. I'd take him on as a teammate, no probs. Give him a chance.

Hester got $10 million a year!!! WTF. Who can/would impact more ST and O plays? Vick hands down...as he's a threat to bring it to the house on any play he touches it on PR/KR....but also at RB/WR/QB. I don't see Vick as a gimmick as he'd demand double coverage no matter where he's at (assuming his skill level is on par or close with the past, but hey he's a young 29...spending the last 18 months trying to bang out license plates and mastering stitching up socks, or what not).

At this point...give him a 2 year deal above the vet min. as his cost is incredibly low. We'd showcase him in numerous packages as a decoy most of the time, but free up Jennings, Grant, DD, Finley, Lee, etc. etc.

Unbelievable the things we could do with Vick (forget even the Wildcat). Line him up somewhere and NFL D's have to acknowledge that Vick could run/catch/pass from anywhere on the O and prob. be up there with Hester as a KR/PR.

Unbelievable value for what you pay for him....$10 million for a limited Hester? $2 million for a multi-talented/faceted Vick option?....Easiest choice EVER.

NFL teams could NOT defend that with ARod under center with our talented O. No way.

Either way...How much confidence do any of you Rats have of Flynn/Brohm winning a game if Arod went down vs. Vick?... :shock: Yep...thought so. Dude is a weapon and an incredible asset trying to get his life back together. Sign the Vick, TT!!!