PDA

View Full Version : Giants extend Eli Manning's contract

hoosier
08-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Per ESPN:

Eli Manning has agreed to a new six-year, $97 million contract extension with the New York Giants that will make him among the highest-paid players in the NFL with an average salary of roughly $15.3 million, a source told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4378407

Holy crap, 15 million per year. How they can afford to do that AND retain guys like Jacobs, Snee, Webster, Pierce, Osi and Tuck and then still have cap space left over to sign FAs like Bernard and Canty? Does anyone know of a web site that breaks down salaries and cap numbers?

Partial
08-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Per ESPN:

Eli Manning has agreed to a new six-year, $97 million contract extension with the New York Giants that will make him among the highest-paid players in the NFL with an average salary of roughly $15.3 million, a source told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

Holy crap, 15 million per year. How they can afford to do that AND retain guys like Jacobs, Snee, Webster, Pierce, Osi and Tuck and then still have cap space left over to sign FAs like Bernard and Canty? Does anyone know of a web site that breaks down salaries and cap numbers?

By comparison this makes A-rods deal look much more in line with what I expected.

MichiganPackerFan
08-05-2009, 10:32 AM
All that money doesn't change the fact that he's an overrated egotistical sonofabitch. Never liked him since he and his father pulled that bullshit with San Diego.

ThunderDan
08-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Per ESPN:

There is no justice in the world. How does a QB with a lifetime QB rating of 76.1 deserve $15 million/year?

That makes Rodgers deal look like a steal if he puts up 2008 numbers consistantly. Also makes you wonder if ARod does produce when is his agent going to ask for a bump!

ThunderDan
08-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Arod: 4,000 yrds 28 TD 13 Int 4 Rushing TDs $11,000,000
Manning: 3,200 yards 21 TD 10 Int 1 Rushing TD $15,000,000

pbmax
08-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Now we know how valuable the Helmet Catch was. :lol:

ThunderDan
08-05-2009, 10:53 AM
NY Giants start:
Washington
@ Dallas
@ TB
@ KC
Oakland

If Eli and NY start 2-3 they are in big trouble. They need to go 4-1.

They finish:
@ NO
Ari
@ Phi
SD
Atl
@ Den
Dal
Phi
@ Wash
Car
@ Minn

If NY starts like they did in 2007 all hell is going to break loose.

hoosier
08-05-2009, 11:19 AM

Good point. The helmet catch plus the OT interception that nicely highlighted the difference between Eli the game manager and Brett the gunslinger on that day.

To a reasonably informed outside observer it seems pretty obvious that Eli is not a vital cog in the Giants machine. The DL, OL and, to a lesser degree, the RBs are the key ingredients for their success. The QB has to be just good enough to keep defenses from stack the line and has to know how not to screw things up too badly. Eli became really good at that in the second half of 2007, but he's never been good at doing more than that. As far as I can tell he's not even a vital part of the team's identity and appeal to its fan base. Weird decision IMO.

CaptainKickass
08-05-2009, 11:38 AM
I actually like Eli better than Peyton Place...I mean Peyton Manning. Or should I say Peyton "Whaaaaaanning". I love seeing Peyton cry, especially to the refs. I remember the Pack making him cry to the officials repeatedly, and throughly enjoyed it.

Eli is overrated, and really is getting a ridiculous amount of money for the kind of QB that he is.

SkinBasket
08-05-2009, 08:24 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/salary/index?athleteId=4378946

Learn just how little Eli has to do to make your life's work look like it's worth nothing to this world.

Let's say you're totally rich, according to Obama. You make $250,000. You obviously have more money than you know what to do with and should forfeit half your earnings to your federal, state, and local government, who has a much better idea of what to do with your money.

Well, Eli will make that much money per quarter, roughly. He'll throw a football 52.91 yards to earn the same amount of money you do for working all year. 4.72 completions in the NFL is worth as much as those couple thousand hours you just poured out of your life and into your employer's corporate plan. Work 61 years, and you'll make what Eli, that shining beacon of humanity, makes in one year.

I have a lot of reasons that I've never equated a man's worth with how much money he makes. This is probably the best.

Brando19
08-05-2009, 08:36 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/salary/index?athleteId=4378946

Learn just how little Eli has to do to make your life's work look like it's worth nothing to this world.

Let's say you're totally rich, according to Obama. You make $250,000. You obviously have more money than you know what to do with and should forfeit half your earnings to your federal, state, and local government, who has a much better idea of what to do with your money.

Well, Eli will make that much money per quarter, roughly. He'll throw a football 52.91 yards to earn the same amount of money you do for working all year. 4.72 completions in the NFL is worth as much as those couple thousand hours you just poured out of your life and into your employer's corporate plan. Work 61 years, and you'll make what Eli, that shining beacon of humanity, makes in one year.

I have a lot of reasons that I've never equated a man's worth with how much money he makes. This is probably the best.

Kinda makes you wonder why the hell we pay to watch professional sports...kinda makes you sick to your stomach knowing police officers make $30-$40K a year and Eli makes that from one handoff. Oh well. Screw making sure your kids get a great education....put a football in one hand...and baseball bat in the other...and make sure they can run fast and they'll be just fine. :roll:

KYPack
08-05-2009, 08:51 PM

The guy that tossed the pass makes all that cake. The guy that caught it (David Tyree) is on the verge of being cut. Without that helmet stick grab, ELI might be on his way out in NY.

sharpe1027
08-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Kinda makes you wonder why the hell we pay to watch professional sports...kinda makes you sick to your stomach knowing police officers make $30-$40K a year and Eli makes that from one handoff. Oh well. Screw making sure your kids get a great education....put a football in one hand...and baseball bat in the other...and make sure they can run fast and they'll be just fine. :roll:

Damn capitalism!!!! :lol:

Fritz
08-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Archie was a much better QB.

oregonpackfan
08-06-2009, 12:41 AM
Archie was a much better QB.

I agree. The trouble is that Archie spent most of his career with the New Orleans Saints, who were terrible for that era.

I feel Eli is a very good QB but hardly deserving of a $97 million dollar contract. Eli has the "Feather in his cap" that he was the starting QB in the Giants Super Bowl win.

The most important factor in the Giants Super Bowl win, IMO, was the play of their defensive line. They had so many good D-linemen they platooned them in and out and kept constant pressure on Tom Brady. That pressure effectively took him off of his rythym.

Tarlam!
08-06-2009, 03:20 AM
All that money doesn't change the fact that he's an overrated egotistical sonofabitch. Never liked him since he and his father pulled that bullshit with San Diego.

:bclap: My exact same thoughts after reading the first post of this thread and any other E. Manning thread.

Additionally, I understand Peyton had a hand in that escapade as well, which has my mood down on him, too.

SkinBasket
08-06-2009, 07:15 AM
I feel Eli is a very good QB but hardly deserving of a $97 million dollar contract.

Very good is being a little generous. Moderately above average might be more accurate.

Patler
08-06-2009, 07:34 AM
When you have unproven rookie QBs signing $60 million contracts and contracts with $40 million guaranteed, the Manning contract isn't out of line. Before the end of Manning's contract, the salary cap (if there is one) is expected to exceed $150 million. Manning might be just about 10% of the Giants cap for most of the contract. That's not bad for an established starting QB.

ThunderDan
12-13-2009, 10:56 PM
NY Giants start:
Washington
@ Dallas
@ TB
@ KC
Oakland

They finish:
@ NO
Ari
@ Phi
SD
Atl
@ Den
Dal
Phi
@ Wash
Car
@ Minn

Just looked back at this. It is very fortunate that the NYG started 5-0. I knew they would have trouble starting in game 6.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-13-2009, 11:44 PM
NY Giants start:
Washington
@ Dallas
@ TB
@ KC
Oakland

They finish:
@ NO
Ari
@ Phi
SD
Atl
@ Den
Dal
Phi
@ Wash
Car
@ Minn

Just looked back at this. It is very fortunate that the NYG started 5-0. I
knew they would have trouble starting in game 6.

The giant's problems are hardly Eli's doing. Their defense is piss poor. And, they don't have a dominant WR..they really miss Plax.

BallHawk
12-13-2009, 11:57 PM
The giant's problems are hardly Eli's doing. Their defense is piss poor. And, they don't have a dominant WR..they really miss Plax.

You don't need a dominant WR to win in this league. You need a core of guys that are good enough. Eli has that. Steve Smith has 1,000 yards and 5 TDs (that's pretty damn good), Mario Manningham has 675 yards and 4 TDs, Hakeem Nicks has 575 yards and 5 TDs, and Kevin Boss has 400 yards and 4 TDs.

Eli's got enough to win games for this team.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-14-2009, 12:10 AM

You don't need a dominant WR to win in this league. You need a core of guys that are good enough. Eli has that. Steve Smith has 1,000 yards and 5 TDs (that's pretty damn good), Mario Manningham has 675 yards and 4 TDs, Hakeem Nicks has 575 yards and 5 TDs, and Kevin Boss has 400 yards and 4 TDs.

You need a a good or great #1. All dominant teams have them.

Smith: 5tds? YOu that is pretty damn good? C'mon. That is barely adequate, especially considering it is 12 ypc. MM is ok. Nicks is a rookie. Boss is very very average. Donald Lee like.

Not one of those guys puts fear in the hearts of DCs.

And, if you don't think they miss Plax...look at when their decline started.

And, their running game is hardly the same as the past.

Don't know why you are really responding. The defense is the main culprit for the Gmen. Their secondary is poor and they can't stop anyone.

48 to New Orleans.
40 to Iggles.
45 to Iggles.
31 to the Falcons.

They haven't held a team under 20 points since Oakland.

hoosier
12-14-2009, 08:20 AM

You need a a good or great #1. All dominant teams have them.

Smith: 5tds? YOu that is pretty damn good? C'mon. That is barely adequate, especially considering it is 12 ypc. MM is ok. Nicks is a rookie. Boss is very very average. Donald Lee like.

Not one of those guys puts fear in the hearts of DCs.

And, if you don't think they miss Plax...look at when their decline started.

And, their running game is hardly the same as the past.

Don't know why you are really responding. The defense is the main culprit for the Gmen. Their secondary is poor and they can't stop anyone.

48 to New Orleans.
40 to Iggles.
45 to Iggles.
31 to the Falcons.

They haven't held a team under 20 points since Oakland.

You could just as well argue that their pass rush isn't what it used to be. The Giants secondary was never any better than average in recent years, and when they won the SB in 2007 they were holding things together with spit and glue. They were able to mask those deficiencies with their relentless pass rush. For whatever reason they do not seem to have a dominant DL this year, despite getting Osi back.