View Full Version : MATT FLYNN

Bretsky
08-06-2009, 08:01 AM
good article

Flynn sounds like he is really impressing while Brohm still shows inconsistency

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/52476322.html

Bossman641
08-06-2009, 08:27 AM
I read articles like that but then I also see the blogs and TC articles complaining that Flynn only throws dump-offs under 10 yards and that it takes roughly 3 minutes for an out pass to hit the receiver.

It would be nice if Brohm would step up but it looks like disappointment from him thus far.

oregonpackfan
08-06-2009, 09:37 AM
That article highlights the fact that Flynn worked on the weights during the off season and improved his arm strength. If you recall, Joe Montana was not very big and had limited arm strength coming out of Notre Dame.

I remember watching Flynn during his senior year at LSU and thinking, "Wow, this guy is a real leader!"

Fritz
08-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Still, it'd be nice to see Brohm being written about as improving and being on the right track. If he can do that and get some confidence, it'd be a nice QB situation to have.

Merlin
08-06-2009, 01:30 PM
It would be nice for either of these guys to or both to shine this preseason. I would think if neither does, signing a veteran backup may be on the table, or you would think anyway.

Lurker64
08-06-2009, 02:36 PM
It would be nice for either of these guys to or both to shine this preseason. I would think if neither does, signing a veteran backup may be on the table, or you would think anyway.

I agree entirely. What's out there in terms of veteran backups (other than Vick and that guy in Mississippi), though? I recall last year we were looking at veteran backups but there was literally nothing of quality available.

Fred's Slacks
08-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Still, it'd be nice to see Brohm being written about as improving and being on the right track. If he can do that and get some confidence, it'd be a nice QB situation to have.

I think I've seen a couple places that have said he does look better than last year. I think I remember Bedard giving him the "thumbs up" for one practice. Just looking at the practice passing stats I think both QBs are on the right track. The preseason will be the big test.

I really wasn't expecting either of these two to shine this preseason. Just seeing improvement was all I hoped for. Their paths both seem similar to Arod's as I don't think he made the big jump until yr 3. Next year is when its do or die. Hopefully at least one will prove to be a quality NFL QB.

woodbuck27
08-06-2009, 05:19 PM
good article

Flynn sounds like he is really impressing while Brohm still shows inconsistency

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/52476322.html

Thanks B.

Fred's Slacks
08-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Ah yes. Here it is:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/52360637.html

(Bedard giving Brohm the thumbs up)

Tarlam!
08-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Nice. I hope this isn't just fluff about Flynn and Brohm gets it going too.

I'm thinking trade bait, obviously. It'd be great if ol' TT can trade either and pull a Ron Wolf. Since Brohm cost us a two, you'd want at least a 2 plus 3/4. He isn't shpwing he's a one yet, but, I can hope, right?

As for Flynn, well, if he starts lighting it up someone might throw a three or even a two the Packer's way.

It'd be a great thing to have a capable backup and get a high draft pick so we can keep churning out new QBs in M3's QB school.

I much prefer this option than getting a vet.

Fritz
08-07-2009, 02:11 PM
I keep asking this question and I don't think I've gotten an answer:

Those folks who want the Packers to sign Mike Vick: what would you do with Flynn/Brohm?

Flynn seems to have more value right now - would you be willing to give him up for, say, a fifth round pick? (I'm guessing that's what you might get for him, maybe.)

Or if you want to keep Flynn, do you just throw Brohm and the second round pick he was away? Surely no one's going to give the Packers much for a guy who was supposed to be the most-ready-to-play QB last year and has looked instead least ready to play.

So what would the let's-sign-Vick crowd do? I'd be curious.

MichiganPackerFan
08-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Can you teach either one to kick?

Truth is, neither has much if any trade value. Best to hang on and develop them. Picking up Vick doesn't even remotely sound like a good option. If you're going to grab a veteran backup, you might as well grab one who has run a similar offense, unless you want to change your offense to one that consists of three consecutive QB sneaks and then a punt.

Bretsky
08-07-2009, 08:34 PM
I keep asking this question and I don't think I've gotten an answer:

Those folks who want the Packers to sign Mike Vick: what would you do with Flynn/Brohm?

Flynn seems to have more value right now - would you be willing to give him up for, say, a fifth round pick? (I'm guessing that's what you might get for him, maybe.)

Or if you want to keep Flynn, do you just throw Brohm and the second round pick he was away? Surely no one's going to give the Packers much for a guy who was supposed to be the most-ready-to-play QB last year and has looked instead least ready to play.

So what would the let's-sign-Vick crowd do? I'd be curious.

First off, say no to Vick

But Flynn is the #2 now; no way does he get traded

If they bring Vick in they get rid of Brohm for a late round pick and a bag of Gilbert Burgers. That's about what he's worth right now

SnakeLH2006
08-08-2009, 01:56 AM
Sign Vick....No matter what....Brohm is a guy only die hard Packer fans remember being a guy out the league.

Bottom line...Brohm sux ass out of strippers that don't want it and he still sux it for cash. Vick would be a HUGE upgrade (check my Vick thread)....

Gunakor
08-08-2009, 02:04 AM
Sign Vick....No matter what....Brohm is a guy only die hard Packer fans remember being a guy out the league.

Bottom line...Brohm sux ass out of strippers that don't want it and he still sux it for cash. Vick would be a HUGE upgrade (check my Vick thread)....

I'm not sure replacing a 2nd string QB amounts to a huge upgrade. It only becomes a huge upgrade if Rodgers get's hurt and has to miss extended playing time, something he showed a bit of resilience against last season. The guy can play through significant pain and remain effective. So I'm not sure just how often Vick would see the field, but I can guess it wouldn't be enough to amount to a huge upgrade.

MichiganPackerFan
08-08-2009, 10:19 AM
If they bring Vick in they get rid of Brohm for a late round pick and a bag of Gilbert Burgers. That's about what he's worth right now

I will take the bag of Gilbert Burgers.

SnakeLH2006
08-12-2009, 12:28 AM

I will take the bag of Gilbert Burgers.

Yumm.....Gilbert Burgers WERE the BEST.

Hmmm....Spend $5 to get a Gilbert Burger at BK or watch Brohm play QB......??

Snake loves a burger to keep him satisfied. Brohm...Fast forward 10 years......Brohm who? :x :shock:

Merlin
08-13-2009, 06:18 PM

I agree entirely. What's out there in terms of veteran backups (other than Vick and that guy in Mississippi), though? I recall last year we were looking at veteran backups but there was literally nothing of quality available.

Not sure of what is out there to be honest. I don't see Favre in the picture unless Rodgers get injured. You would think that would be the first call the Packers would make in that scenario. However, I wouldn't bet on that even if I had money to burn. I don't think Thompson would swallow his pride and make the call, and I doubt Favre would swallow his if the call was made. That relationship is beyond repair att his point. I look for Favre to be playing football this year with some team, which one is anyone's guess. I suspect any playoff contending team who has their #1 go down and has a weak #2 will give him a shout. Who are the "retired" QB's out there right now?

Partial
08-13-2009, 07:20 PM
No way do they call Favre. These people have too big of egos. Minne will call Favre, though.