PDA

View Full Version : McGinn Q&A with TT

Bossman641
08-06-2009, 08:30 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/52552477.html

A lot of the normal talking points from TT, but then he also seems to get a little more personal then I am used to seeing from him.

packrat
08-06-2009, 08:47 AM
Mcginn is a joke. Those weren't questions. They were statements from a guy on the attack. TT handled him like a bull fighter handles the bull, brushing him aside every time. This idiocy that says a GM "owes" it to the fans to tell everyone his strategy comes from someone more interested in selling newspapers than seeing the Pack win games. Would we rather have the blabber mouth from Minnesota running the show?

Waldo
08-06-2009, 08:51 AM
McGinn asks the tough questions, which is usually a commendable quality in a reporter.

Problem is he doesn't ask the easy ones.

Making him look like an asshole on a mission that hates everything.

Bossman641
08-06-2009, 08:56 AM
I was thinking the same thing regarding McGinn's questioning. One the one hand it is refreshing to see him ask the tough questions and try to put a little pressure on. One the other hand, it's as if he is just trying to trap TT rather than have an actual conversation.

Scott Campbell
08-06-2009, 09:01 AM
I don't think this is the first time he's done this.

Bossman641
08-06-2009, 09:05 AM
These questions were a little confusing to me

Do you worry about losing your job, or are you so financially set now that those thoughts don't even enter your equation?

You have spoken eloquently about the importance of the team concept in pro sports. Isn't it hypocritical for an organization then to make the unprecedented decision to can seven coaches and persuade another to retire?

Fritz
08-06-2009, 09:46 AM
If McGinn was on Packerrats, The Administrator would ban him!

Zool
08-06-2009, 10:03 AM
WTF. McGinn lays into him for making wholesale changes on the D staff, then asks "what have you done to ensure the D will bring more pressure?"

This isn't a case of a guy asking tough questions. This is a reporter with an agenda.

Fritz
08-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Stupidest question: the one where he asks if it isn't hypocritical to talk about a team concept, and then fire people.

If it is, then every GM in the NFL, and probably every business person on the planet, is hypocritical.

And on a side note, here's where people just start making shit up to suit themselves: after the article, in the place for reader comments, some dipnut lambasted TT for being cheap by saying that when McGinn asked about the punter from Indy and why TT didn't sign him, TT "mumbled something about the guy being a dome punter."

Uh, no, idiot. TT did not mumble anything about him being a dome punter. It was McGinn who mentioned that. In fact, what TT did was disagree with the punter's agent that all the guy wanted was either a multi-yeaqr contract or a bigger signing bonus and that the Packers wouldn't do either. TT disputed that that was what happened. He said nothing about the punter being a dome punter.

MichiganPackerFan
08-06-2009, 10:31 AM
(In Mobb-speak) GET CLIFF CHRISTL

sharpe1027
08-06-2009, 10:33 AM
LOL, I love terrible attempts to trap TT. My god, you think a professional could do a better job at pushing the issue. I can only imagine Mr. McGinn was more interested in posing questions that read like an accusation than truly getting decent responses from TT.

Do you worry about losing your job, or are you so financially set now that those thoughts don't even enter your equation?

How about a little subltey?

When you first arrived, you were somewhat of an unkown comodity and had only a few short years to prove yourself. Since then, you've received executive of the year honors, strong endorsments from your boss and a nice contract extension. Does having financial and job security allow you more freedom to do things your way?

Fritz
08-06-2009, 11:58 AM
LOL, I love terrible attempts to trap TT. My god, you think a professional could do a better job at pushing the issue. I can only imagine Mr. McGinn was more interested in posing questions that read like an accusation than truly getting decent responses from TT.

How about a little subltey?

When you first arrived, you were somewhat of an unkown comodity and had only a few short years to prove yourself. Since then, you've received executive of the year honors, strong endorsments from your boss and a nice contract extension. Does having financial and job security allow you more freedom to do things your way?

Really, McGinn understated the question:

"Ted, you've made a lot of money yet have a sub-500 record as GM. Because you make so much money, do you even give a shit if they fire you?"

PlantPage55
08-06-2009, 12:18 PM
You have spoken eloquently about the importance of the team concept in pro sports. Isn't it hypocritical for an organization then to make the unprecedented decision to can seven coaches and persuade another to retire?

This is a despicable question.

Only Ted Thompson's name could incite fans and the media enough to FAULT he and MM for an attempt to get BETTER with a part of their team that they felt was severely lacking.

Unbelievable.

Bossman641
08-06-2009, 12:26 PM

Only Ted Thompson's name could incite fans and the media enough to FAULT he and MM for an attempt to get BETTER with a part of their team that they felt was severely lacking.

Unbelievable.

How dare they!!!!!!

Scott Campbell
08-06-2009, 12:29 PM

Unbelievable.

And what would McGinn have asked had they kept Vanilla Bob?

cheesner
08-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Truly one of the worst interviews I have ever read a transcript of. Pointed questions that were (as others pointed out) more accusations than probing for information. Some of the dumbest questions since the first gulf war.

Reporters asking questions of military spokesperson.

Reporter: Will there be an amphibious assault when the offensive begins?
Spokesperson: We will not be giving any information out that is of tactical importance to the enemy.

Next reporter: When will the ground offensive begin?
Spokesperson: (see 1st response)

Next reporter: Will the offensive be preceded by additional tomahawk missile assaults?

Next reporter: How large of a force will you be using for the ground offensive?

and on and on.

The funniest part was the reporters (mostly seeming in their 20s) looking disgusted and surprised that they weren't getting answers.

pbmax
08-06-2009, 12:46 PM
The firings are fair game since he and M3 hired these guys and then stuck with them for three seasons, but McGinn hasn't proven the unprecedented yet. Seven coaches gone on a staff of 15 or 16 might be the same percentage as previous changes on one side of the ball by other coaches/GMs. It might be remarkable in terms of Green Bay recently, but only in the Wolf/Favre era.

There are legitimate questions about his performance, given the record and playoff appearances. Most of his questions hit this topic fine.

I am glad he leaves the fluff out.

Here is the reason I am sending him an email:

Q. ... From a personnel standpoint, you essentially stood pat... ?

Q. ... "How are we going to be better?" How are the Packers going to be better in 2009...?

Q. ... Do you have enough to get back in the thick of things once again for the NFC championship... ?

All fine questions, but then this contradiction:

Q. The Packers have been the youngest team three years in a row. How can you truly build a team when the roster has been something of a revolving door?

Does. Not. Compute.

Bretsky
08-06-2009, 07:14 PM
McGinn does a fine job; who cam blame him for those types of questions when he never gets an answer to anything

TT's every response is yada yada we're fine there...yada yada...I like our team....yada yada yada

I agree with Waldo in that he should mix some of the easy questions in with the hard ones; that would make him look better overall IMO.

Fritz
08-06-2009, 08:05 PM
I know you'd like more lively answers, Bretsky, but I think TT does a good job as GM and if he's not as revealing as folks would like, I'm okay with that.

Though it would have been funny if TT had said "Yeah, I got several million stashed in the bank, so fuck it - if they fire me, no big deal."

And it would've been hilarious if he'd said "Why should I pay some pansy-ass punter - and a dome punter, no less - through the nose? Screw that guy, and his agent."

That stuff would crack me up.

Partial
08-06-2009, 08:11 PM
McGinn does a fine job; who cam blame him for those types of questions when he never gets an answer to anything

TT's every response is yada yada we're fine there...yada yada...I like our team....yada yada yada

I agree with Waldo in that he should mix some of the easy questions in with the hard ones; that would make him look better overall IMO.

My thoughts exactly. Bedard was on 'the Big Show' today, and was talking about how reporters all dislike working with TT (but like him as a person) because he doesn't give them any content, and is so stubborn to his beliefs. Bedard hypothesized TT is the only GM who would not jump on a single starting FA after a 6-10 season. Especially given the generous cap space.

Fritz
08-06-2009, 08:15 PM

My thoughts exactly. Bedard was on 'the Big Show' today, and was talking about how reporters all dislike working with TT (but like him as a person) because he doesn't give them any content, and is so stubborn to his beliefs. Bedard hypothesized TT is the only GM who would not jump on a single starting FA after a 6-10 season. Especially given the generous cap space.

Yes, he makes their jobs more difficult. But he's not an asshat, assclown, asswipe, or anything ass-ish, ass-esque, or ass-like.

sharpe1027
08-07-2009, 07:42 AM

Perception is often not reality.

Besides, does he really give so much less than other GMs? Really? I have listened to his interviews and he gives thoughtful responses with some interesting insight on many points. What GM are we comparing against? Billicheat is notorious for giving reporters crap information, but reporters like him because he is always in the middle of some controversy. Making reporters happy is not always a good thing...

Bretsky
08-07-2009, 07:47 AM

Besides, does he really give so much less than other GMs? Really? I have listened to his interviews and he gives thoughtful responses with some interesting insight on many points. What GM are we comparing against? Billicheat is notorious for giving reporters crap information, but reporters like him because he is always in the middle of some controversy. Making reporters happy is not always a good thing...

What we have to compare him up against that I can remember was Ron Wolf and Tom Braatz. Both gave enough information to write a story. Not our TT

Bretsky
08-07-2009, 07:50 AM
I know you'd like more lively answers, Bretsky, but I think TT does a good job as GM and if he's not as revealing as folks would like, I'm okay with that.

Though it would have been funny if TT had said "Yeah, I got several million stashed in the bank, so fuck it - if they fire me, no big deal."

And it would've been hilarious if he'd said "Why should I pay some pansy-ass punter - and a dome punter, no less - through the nose? Screw that guy, and his agent."

That stuff would crack me up.

I'm fine with TT dodging content and questions

But if you are fine with that then IMO we should be more flexible with reporters being brash with TT because they are trying to write stories with content that will interest the readers.

That stuff would crack me up too btw.

sharpe1027
08-07-2009, 09:07 AM
What we have to compare him up against that I can remember was Ron Wolf and Tom Braatz. Both gave enough information to write a story. Not our TT

I don't know, Wolf may have been a better politician and dodged questions more eloquantly, but I don't remember him giving up much more in the way of hard information/content in the things he said.

I guess to me the difference was that Wolf would joke around when he couldn't answer a question, whereas TT just kinda drones on with a standard response. So, at a high-level, Wolf would come off as a nice guy saying about the same in substance as TT, while TT comes off as an ass.

Like I said, perception is often not reality. IDK, maybe I just didn't pay close enough attention to Wolf.

pbmax
08-07-2009, 09:17 AM
Belicheck gets relatively good coverage because of 3 Super Bowl wins, not controversy.

There are some GMs who are exceptionally media friendly. AJ Smith in San Diego is on the radio all the time. Same with Bill Polian. Ozzie Newsome is pretty available and quotable, though he is usually pretty diplomatic.

There are GMs (some former) who have a Gary Carter reputation, that they love talking to the media to cover up flaws. Charlie Casserly caught a lot of flak for his availability. Of course, his conscience is probably eased by getting the Mario Williams/Reggie Bush debate correct.

Everyone remembers Wolf being open and honest, but that is in retrospect. He was quotable and combative, but he evaded as well. What made Wolf remarkable was that after the fact (often in this interview) he would admit his thinking, especially on his mistakes.

sharpe1027
08-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Belicheck gets relatively good coverage because of 3 Super Bowl wins, not controversy.

There are some GMs who are exceptionally media friendly. AJ Smith in San Diego is on the radio all the time. Same with Bill Polian. Ozzie Newsome is pretty available and quotable, though he is usually pretty diplomatic.

There are GMs (some former) who have a Gary Carter reputation, that they love talking to the media to cover up flaws. Charlie Casserly caught a lot of flak for his availability. Of course, his conscience is probably eased by getting the Mario Williams/Reggie Bush debate correct.

Everyone remembers Wolf being open and honest, but that is in retrospect. He was quotable and combative, but he evaded as well. What made Wolf remarkable was that after the fact (often in this interview) he would admit his thinking, especially on his mistakes.

Pbmax, surely there are different ends of the spectrum here. But my point was more that the reporters are wrong about why they are frustrated with TT.

IMHO, it isn't so much because he truly is more evasive than other GMs. I mean what GM going to talk about an ongoing contract negotation? What GM is going to talk badly about his current players? What GM is going to tip his hat about future draft picks or trades?

IMO, a stupid GM. Yet, those are the things that he is constantly asked and avoids answering, same as most GMs.

I think maybe reporters feel he is being evasive because he doesn't hide it. He comes right out and tells them he is not answering the damn question and why he is not answering it. In contrast, Wolf would talk all around the issue, but still not answer the question. Maybe TT is too honest and direct for the reporters liking.... :wink:

Fritz
08-07-2009, 10:14 AM

I don't know, Wolf may have been a better politician and dodged questions more eloquantly, but I don't remember him giving up much more in the way of hard information/content in the things he said.

I guess to me the difference was that Wolf would joke around when he couldn't answer a question, whereas TT just kinda drones on with a standard response. So, at a high-level, Wolf would come off as a nice guy saying about the same in substance as TT, while TT comes off as an ass.

Like I said, perception is often not reality. IDK, maybe I just didn't pay close enough attention to Wolf.

Bretsky, I would agree with Sharpe here. I think Wolf was more fun to listen to but I understand that sometimes he'd mislead reporters instead of just giving the boring company line.

And if you would enjoy reporters getting edgier and edgier with TT, then you're probably having lots of fun right now. They seem to be getting after Ted pretty good.

Patler
08-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Quite frankly some of the reporters are making asses of themselves with their questions of and comments about Thompson. Thompson is what he is. It is the reporters obligations to learn how to deal with him, to get what they can from him. With their constant sniping and complaining they are making it even less likely that he will give them any information at all.

Even when he does provide information they complain about it. If I were their bosses I would call them in, tell them to grow up and act like professionals. Not that they can't criticize, clearly they can and should in some situations; but do it professionally, not like a 10-year-old.

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2009, 10:51 AM
McGinn asks the tough questions, which is usually a commendable quality in a reporter.

Problem is he doesn't ask the easy ones.

Making him look like an asshole on a mission that hates everything.

Being an asshole is not such a bad strategy for a reporter. If you get your subject upset, they might say things that they wouldn't otherwise say. I'm not saying that TT is likely to start screaming and say that its true, he hates Brett Favre. But inside that robotic exterieor is, well, a robotic interior. But inside the robotic interior is a human too.

Look how trial lawyers behave. McGinn is a good reporter, he knows what he's doing.

Patler
08-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Being an asshole is not such a bad strategy for a reporter. If you get your subject upset, they might say things that they wouldn't otherwise say. I'm not saying that TT is likely to start screaming and say that its true, he hates Brett Favre. But inside that robotic exterieor is, well, a robotic interior. But inside the robotic interior is a human too.

Look how trial lawyers behave. McGinn is a good reporter, he knows what he's doing.

That works best for trial lawyers on TV.
But there is a huge difference between a witness under oath who is obliged to sit in an intimidating environment in which he/she has no control whatsoever, and an individual at his own place who has consented to an interview. I doubt you can intimidate TT into answering anything.

sharpe1027
08-07-2009, 11:24 AM

Yeah, Mattlock never lost a case using that technique. :wink:

Maybe McGinn knows what he is doing, but to me it lookes like it aint working at all. If anything, it drums up support for TT.

Like I said early, if he truly wanted to get something out of TT I don't think he would have used a sledge hammer techinque. It just looks like he was more interested in making his questions read like acqusations than getting any meaningful response.

pbmax
08-07-2009, 11:36 AM
... Yet, those are the things that he is constantly asked and avoids answering, same as most GMs....

... I think maybe reporters feel he is being evasive because he doesn't hide it. He comes right out and tells them he is not answering the damn question and why he is not answering it.
It is an art form, certainly, saying little while appearing to comment. But its a skill lots of people need in their job, not just GMs and many have it. But not every GM is Thompson/Belicheck secretive either.

The other issue at play is if you are going to stray from the conventional wisdom as a GM, then you are going to generate additional questions. By being closed about the thought process and the details, he leaves more questions unanswered than most. In a slew of other public professions (including other NFL teams), Thompson could not operate this way. The Packers unique structure and market size make this possible.

But all that said, I am happy his plan and formula are more important to him than his PR or relationship to media and fans. And Patler is right, Bedard and McGinn make themselves look small by the constant sniping.

Bossman641
08-07-2009, 11:57 AM

Yeah, Mattlock never lost a case using that technique. :wink:

Maybe McGinn knows what he is doing, but to me it lookes like it aint working at all. If anything, it drums up support for TT.

Like I said early, if he truly wanted to get something out of TT I don't think he would have used a sledge hammer techinque. It just looks like he was more interested in making his questions read like acqusations than getting any meaningful response.

Exactly how I read the interview as well.

sharpe1027
08-07-2009, 12:00 PM
It is an art form, certainly, saying little while appearing to comment. But its a skill lots of people need in their job, not just GMs and many have it. But not every GM is Thompson/Belicheck secretive either.

The other issue at play is if you are going to stray from the conventional wisdom as a GM, then you are going to generate additional questions. By being closed about the thought process and the details, he leaves more questions unanswered than most. In a slew of other public professions (including other NFL teams), Thompson could not operate this way. The Packers unique structure and market size make this possible.

But all that said, I am happy his plan and formula are more important to him than his PR or relationship to media and fans. And Patler is right, Bedard and McGinn make themselves look small by the constant sniping.

I agree that there are NFL teams he would not be a good fit for, but I'd bet that there are even more that he would be just fine at. It's pretty hypothetical and not very well supported, but I bet if he were on the open market earlier this year he would have had a job in no time flat.

My personal opinion is that his strategy is nothing out of the ordinary, all the perceptions aside. The media labelled him as "draft only" and "adverse to FA" early on and it stuck. The facts be damned, that's the story they put out and that's the story we merrily go along with. To change that story means they'd have to admit they were wrong and, perhaps more importantly, they'd have to come up with a new topic to write about.

Cleft Crusty
08-07-2009, 12:58 PM
This was a good interview although the 'revolving door' question was asked poorly and the questions didn't always have a flow. Sure, you coulda lobbed a few more softballs possibly to ease Thompson a bit, but that's unlikely to get anything out of him, except pure GM speak. McGinn elicited some interesting responses, such as:

"Jeremy is a marvelous athlete with unbelievable flexibility and athleticism"

"It's a wonderfully simple thing at times and it's wonderfully complicated at times. It really gets down to blocking and tackling. But if you get down underneath that, it's even more complicated." (You can tell that Thompson was thinking 'Pad level.')

"This is kind of going back to the old Ron Wolf thing. If you like a player and you have a spot for him, then just go get him."

Regarding Tackle:

"We think so. We think we have several candidates. We've put a lot of investment in our offensive line. We're trying to see if one of them at right tackle is ready to step up and play. I'd like to get the core established and set. I have liked (Allen) Barbre for some time. He's a very athletic 310-pound guy that has some nastiness to him." (I think this shows that they are not at all certain about their O-line - but are hopeful with the personnel)

About info and the fans:

"I think they know a lot about this team. I think our fans are a lot smarter than that. And I think they understand where I'm coming from. There's absolutely no reason for me to tell anything of a proprietary nature to a group of 15,000. Even though they're all fans, it's not going to remain a secret." (I think that most on Packerrats pretty much understand Ted Thompson and his strategy, no?)

Reporters:

"I've always been accessible (to reporters). I've probably not ever taken a phone call." (Interesting. I think Fisher at TN calls reporters to have lunch with them)

On leadership:

"I hope I'm a servant. I think in order to lead you have to serve first. Which means sacrificing, going above and beyond, trying to set an example, trying to be a good guy." (That's completely revealing. Good get by McGinn)

On Favre:

Q. Murphy promised an institutional review of the situation with Brett Favre in 2008 and I'm sure you were part of it. In retrospect, did you handle it properly? Did you do the right things?

A. We tried to. I don't want to get into specifics. I'm not going to talk about this very much. I'm sure there were mistakes made along the way, but it was a very volatile, complicated situation. (like pad level)

Bretsky
08-07-2009, 08:30 PM

Bretsky, I would agree with Sharpe here. I think Wolf was more fun to listen to but I understand that sometimes he'd mislead reporters instead of just giving the boring company line.

And if you would enjoy reporters getting edgier and edgier with TT, then you're probably having lots of fun right now. They seem to be getting after Ted pretty good.

You'd be correct in assuming that.

IMO at times I think Wolf was honest and at other times miseleading

Gunakor
08-08-2009, 01:55 AM

As it should be. The less TT says, the better. No fan needs to know more than what they see on Fox on Sunday afternoons anyway. Just cause Wolf told more complete stories doesn't mean that's the way it has to be or should be done. I'd prefer it if TT remained as vague as possible in every interview he ever does. He shouldn't say anything to Packer fans through the media that he wouldn't say to Brad Childress or Lovie Smith in person. Which is to say, nothing at all.

MJZiggy
08-08-2009, 06:25 AM
This was a good interview although the 'revolving door' question was asked poorly and the questions didn't always have a flow. Sure, you coulda lobbed a few more softballs possibly to ease Thompson a bit, but that's unlikely to get anything out of him, except pure GM speak. McGinn elicited some interesting responses, such as:

"It's a wonderfully simple thing at times and it's wonderfully complicated at times. It really gets down to blocking and tackling. But if you get down underneath that, it's even more complicated." (You can tell that Thompson was thinking 'Pad level.')

"This is kind of going back to the old Ron Wolf thing. If you like a player and you have a spot for him, then just go get him."

Regarding Tackle:

"We think so. We think we have several candidates. We've put a lot of investment in our offensive line. We're trying to see if one of them at right tackle is ready to step up and play. I'd like to get the core established and set. I have liked (Allen) Barbre for some time. He's a very athletic 310-pound guy that has some nastiness to him." (I think this shows that they are not at all certain about their O-line - but are hopeful with the personnel)

About info and the fans:

"I think they know a lot about this team. I think our fans are a lot smarter than that. And I think they understand where I'm coming from. There's absolutely no reason for me to tell anything of a proprietary nature to a group of 15,000. Even though they're all fans, it's not going to remain a secret." (I think that most on Packerrats pretty much understand Ted Thompson and his strategy, no?)

Reporters:

"I've always been accessible (to reporters). I've probably not ever taken a phone call." (Interesting. I think Fisher at TN calls reporters to have lunch with them)

On leadership:

"I hope I'm a servant. I think in order to lead you have to serve first. Which means sacrificing, going above and beyond, trying to set an example, trying to be a good guy." (That's completely revealing. Good get by McGinn)

On Favre:

Q. Murphy promised an institutional review of the situation with Brett Favre in 2008 and I'm sure you were part of it. In retrospect, did you handle it properly? Did you do the right things?

A. We tried to. I don't want to get into specifics. I'm not going to talk about this very much. I'm sure there were mistakes made along the way, but it was a very volatile, complicated situation. (like pad level)

Not everyone speaks TT. Apparently Bedard doesn't either which is a huge failing for a reporter. You need to be able to read through the words and get at what your interviewee is actually saying to you. McGinn is overly combative, but we go through this every year. He always does this and beyond just saying that TT is used to it, for all of McGinn's gruff, he doesn't manage to get under TTs skin. Hell, a roomful of fans booing him didn't get under his skin. McGinn should lighten up because he's the one who comes out looking bad when he does this, not TT.

woodbuck27
08-08-2009, 07:17 AM

Regarding Tackle:

About info and the fans:

Reporters:

On leadership:

On Favre:

Not everyone speaks TT. Apparently Bedard doesn't either which is a huge failing for a reporter. You need to be able to read through the words and get at what your interviewee is actually saying to you. McGinn is overly combative, but we go through this every year. He always does this and beyond just saying that TT is used to it, for all of McGinn's gruff, he doesn't manage to get under TTs skin. Hell, a roomful of fans booing him didn't get under his skin. McGinn should lighten up because he's the one who comes out looking bad when he does this, not TT.

It's just personalitys and sometimes they always clash in terms of the strict sense of what is most important to each other.

Bretsky
08-08-2009, 07:17 AM

As it should be. The less TT says, the better. No fan needs to know more than what they see on Fox on Sunday afternoons anyway. Just cause Wolf told more complete stories doesn't mean that's the way it has to be or should be done. I'd prefer it if TT remained as vague as possible in every interview he ever does. He shouldn't say anything to Packer fans through the media that he wouldn't say to Brad Childress or Lovie Smith in person. Which is to say, nothing at all.

I prefer the Wolf route, but I'd agree that there is no right or wrong way.

But if we accept TT as somebody who will say Nada to every question asked

Then acccept the reporters who get brash with him because they are trying to find a story somewhere from that interview and TT won't give them one

Scott Campbell
08-08-2009, 07:24 AM
The media labelled him as "draft only" and "adverse to FA" early on and it stuck. The facts be damned, that's the story they put out and that's the story we merrily go along with. To change that story means they'd have to admit they were wrong and, perhaps more importantly, they'd have to come up with a new topic to write about.

They can't write about how Ted will never trade up any more.

Bossman641
08-08-2009, 09:05 AM
I think there is a difference between being brash and being rude. McGinn seemed more interested in painting TT a certain way, based on the wording of the questions, then to actually probe for information.

sharpe1027
08-08-2009, 12:07 PM
I think there is a difference between being brash and being rude. McGinn seemed more interested in painting TT a certain way, based on the wording of the questions, then to actually probe for information.

My thoughts exactly. It is one thing to present a series of well-thoughout questions that force the issue. It is another to throw out obviously deragatory "questions" that read like a pissed off blogger's rant.

For example Mcginn asks: Do you worry about losing your job, or are you so financially set now that those thoughts don't even enter your equation?

Translation: (I think that) you don't care about how well you do now that you have a fat contract.

Better angle: You recently received a huge contract extension. What do you say to fans that feel your extension was premature, especially in view of last years disappointing season?

Follow up with questions based upon the answer....

Another possible angle: What do you say to fans that believe your building process is too slow and relies too heavily upon slowly building from draft dicks and lacks veteran additions that seem to work so well for teams like the Patriots?

Instead Mcginn sounds like a jaded ex-girlfriend just trying to get some personal barbs in.