PDA

View Full Version : AJ's ride

KYPack
08-06-2009, 10:09 AM
This really showed me something about Hawk...

From GBPG:

On the eve of an organized team activity — a voluntary event — in June, Hawk found himself stranded in the Minneapolis airport, his flight canceled and all the rental car counters closed for the night. Surely, the Packers linebacker would just call coach Mike McCarthy, explain the situation and miss the next day’s workout. After all, it was optional.

Not Hawk. At 12:30 a.m., he and his wife went to the taxi stand.

“I didn’t think they’d go that far,” Hawk said. “But I asked them, ‘What’s the farthest they’ll go?’ They said, ‘As far as you want.’ And I said, ‘How about Green Bay?’ He realized I played (for the Packers), and said OK.”

The fare? A cool $1,000.

“We got home at 6 a.m., and I had to run in and get the checkbook,” Hawk said. “I cut it close because I had to be (at Lambeau Field) at 6:30 (a.m.), and it worked out.”

When asked why Hawk didn’t just skip the OTA, he said, “Every day is big for us with our installation of the new defense, so I didn’t want to miss anything. I was tired, but after practice was over, I felt fine.”

The NFL Players Association reimbursed Hawk for his cab fare because he had spent that weekend at an NFLPA-sponsored event in New York.

“But I would have done it anyway,” Hawk said. “It would have been a write-off at least, wouldn’t it?”

Hawk didn't have to do this, but he did the tought thing to help the team.

Guy's a hard worker and I think it will pay off this year.

Fritz
08-06-2009, 10:22 AM
He's Packer people!

I'm rooting for the guy. Had he been drafted in, say, the third round, people would be pretty thrilled with him on the whole.

Partial
08-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Awesome story!

3irty1
08-06-2009, 10:45 AM
I wonder what he tipped.

Scott Campbell
08-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Great story! I wonder how he practiced on no sleep.

MichiganPackerFan
08-06-2009, 10:59 AM

About the same as he plays in games!

(I need a "ba dum bum chhh" smiley)

rbaloha1
08-06-2009, 11:03 AM
He's Packer people!

I'm rooting for the guy. Had he been drafted in, say, the third round, people would be pretty thrilled with him on the whole.

Good point. AJ's draft position = Urlacher. Suffice to say, AJ is not at this level and may never achieve it.

KYPack
08-06-2009, 01:32 PM
AJ has not translated his potential into production on the field, 'tis true. But he is working hard and making the effort.

I once was in the same postion AJ was. Wound up stranded in Norfolk overnight thanks to USAir (don't fly that one if you can help it). I stayed overnight and got to my meeting at noon instead of 8AM. AJ made more of an effort than I did. Most NFLers would have been late to a volunatary meeting. AJ thought "team" and busted his ass to get it done.

Many of you are right. AJ won't be an Urlacher, Willis, or Ryans. But he might be our Zach Thomas & I'll take that any day.

MichiganPackerFan
08-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Definately disappointed in production compared to expectations. But I will take an effort player over a lazy player any and every day.

Kiwon
08-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Good story.

MJZiggy
08-06-2009, 08:09 PM

About the same as he plays in games!

(I need a "ba dum bum chhh" smiley)

:rs:

Fritz
08-06-2009, 08:12 PM
AJ has not translated his potential into production on the field, 'tis true. But he is working hard and making the effort.

I once was in the same postion AJ was. Wound up stranded in Norfolk overnight thanks to USAir (don't fly that one if you can help it). I stayed overnight and got to my meeting at noon instead of 8AM. AJ made more of an effort than I did. Most NFLers would have been late to a volunatary meeting. AJ thought "team" and busted his ass to get it done.

Many of you are right. AJ won't be an Urlacher, Willis, or Ryans. But he might be our Zach Thomas & I'll take that any day.

When I read that I thought maybe you were a first round pick, Colonel.

KYPack
08-06-2009, 08:48 PM

When I read that I thought maybe you were a first round pick, Colonel.

No. just a poor little computer salesman.

Had a call in Parkersburg WVA and then flew home to Cincinnati.
But weather and planes landed me in Norfolk, Virginia.
My goofy boss at the time wanted me to rent a car and drive all night to make an 8 am meeting. I responded with a NFW and headed to a Marriott.

Now AJ wudda called a cab & made the meeting, right?

digitaldean
08-06-2009, 09:33 PM
$1,000!!! That must've been one helluva tip for the cabbie!! :lol: :lol: