PDA

View Full Version : Crabtree threatening to sit out season

uwwlg
08-06-2009, 11:48 AM
per PFT

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/06/source-parker-tells-niners-that-crabtree-will-re-enter-draft/

Per a league source, agent Eugene Parker is telling the 49ers that Crabtree will sit out the season re-enter the draft in 2010, unless the team gives Crabtree what he wants.

This is really bad for Raji getting into camp any time soon if this happens.

Fritz
08-06-2009, 11:51 AM
I don't know. It's such a freaky thing to threaten so early on that it might make Crabtree irrelevant, especially if one or two guys around that slot sign up.

uwwlg
08-06-2009, 12:00 PM
I don't know. It's such a freaky thing to threaten so early on that it might make Crabtree irrelevant, especially if one or two guys around that slot sign up.

I think that this is just a threat right now, but the contract talk has real potential to be drawn out for a while. This greatly affects all of the picks around Crabtree and when they'll start to sign. The thing is, it's a posturing move, but confirms what everyone's thought all along - Crabtree's agent is playing hardball and it won't be resolved soon.

The problem I see here is that most of the picks around Crabtree are waiting to see what happens with that before they sign, and this shows that they're very very far from making any progress.

Waldo
08-06-2009, 12:03 PM

I think that this is just a threat right now, but the contract talk has real potential to be drawn out for a while. This greatly affects all of the picks around Crabtree and when they'll start to sign. The thing is, it's a posturing move, but confirms what everyone's thought all along - Crabtree's agent is playing hardball and it won't be resolved soon.

The problem I see here is that most of the picks around Crabtree are waiting to see what happens with that before they sign, and this shows that they're very very far from making any progress.

This actually could have a positive effect apon the picks around him.

It is one thing to wait an extra couple days, quite another to potentially push the wait into the regular season. When it becomes clear that there is virtually zero chance of anything being resolved for weeks, unless the others want to reenter the draft next year too, time to move on and ignore the Crabtree situation.

If the agents are waiting on the Crabtree situation, likewise they just said "my client will be entering the draft next year".

pbmax
08-06-2009, 12:09 PM
I am with Waldo. It would be better if they broke off negotiations and sat out. Then without his contract to worry about in 09, signings could occur. But since we are only in the first week, I don't think its going away that quick. People will still wait.

cheesner
08-06-2009, 12:11 PM

This actually could have a positive effect apon the picks around him.

It is one thing to wait an extra couple days, quite another to potentially push the wait into the regular season. When it becomes clear that there is virtually zero chance of anything being resolved for weeks, unless the others want to reenter the draft next year too, time to move on and ignore the Crabtree situation.

If the agents are waiting on the Crabtree situation, likewise they just said "my client will be entering the draft next year".
Agreed.

I hope SF plays hardball with him and he follows through with it.

If Crabtree sits out a year and re-enters the draft, I would bet he drops out of the 1st round and into the mid 2nd. I would bet that his contract offer that he would eventually take, is far less than what SF is offering him right now.

Come on SF. Tell him to go F himself, cause he will really will be actually screwing himself over.

cheesner
08-06-2009, 12:17 PM
SF should publicly say this is the contract he was offered, which is fair. Each day they should take $100k off the table. State that publicly. Tell him its coming privately, give him a day, then, if he doesn't sign, go through with it.

I think we may be watching a fascinating and ugly, slow motion, train wreck.

rbaloha1
08-06-2009, 12:25 PM
IMO TT should not wait what others are offering. Offer what the #9 pick made last year + % increase.

Crabtree and the Raiders #1 pick are messing up the signing of the top 10.

Cheesehead Craig
08-06-2009, 12:36 PM
No way the guys around Crabtree sit out all season. For several of them it would be a disaster. They could likely be drafted lower than they originally were and now they have less money and lost a year of playing and learning. No way anyone else sits the season if Crabtree does. The other players will look out for themselves and get a contract with all those millions.

Packnut
08-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Very disappointed in this kid. He's letting his agent dictate to him instead of the other way around. This is simple. As previously posted, take what that spot paid last year and add a percentage.

Every day he misses is a wasted chance for him. His first contract, (providing he's that good), will be enough to live on for the rest of his life.

I'm fed up with these kids and their agents. If I were the Packers, I'd put a contract in front of him with a 20% increase from last years deal for that spot and say sign now or go screw yourself!

ThunderDan
08-06-2009, 12:49 PM
per PFT

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/06/source-parker-tells-niners-that-crabtree-will-re-enter-draft/

Per a league source, agent Eugene Parker is telling the 49ers that Crabtree will sit out the season re-enter the draft in 2010, unless the team gives Crabtree what he wants.

This is really bad for Raji getting into camp any time soon if this happens.

What a complete idiot!!!! If I was Crabtree I would fire my agent and start over. What do they expect SF to do?? Completely capitulate to their demands.

All this does is piss off the SF front office and it will make the contract negotiaion harder.

So Crabtree is willing to give up million of dollars this year to get re-drafted (in a much lower spot in my thinking) next year and sign a contract for less than he would have made this year. Somebody is a complete idiot.

Lurker64
08-06-2009, 12:53 PM
No way the guys around Crabtree sit out all season. For several of them it would be a disaster. They could likely be drafted lower than they originally were and now they have less money and lost a year of playing and learning.

It would especially be bad for Raji, from a pure numbers perspective, since next year's draft is stacked with talent at defensive tackle.

Waldo
08-06-2009, 12:58 PM
No way the guys around Crabtree sit out all season. For several of them it would be a disaster. They could likely be drafted lower than they originally were and now they have less money and lost a year of playing and learning.

It would especially be bad for Raji, from a pure numbers perspective, since next year's draft is stacked with talent at defensive tackle.

No different at WR.

Dez Bryant and Arrellious Benn would give Crabtree a run for his money IF he wasn't known as a diva and all around pain-in-the-ass, and being that he would have sat/held out out a year, he has virtually no chance of going ahead of them if they stay healthy.

Add in several QB studs and and DB studs, his chances of being drafted high would be virtually nil. Unlike the crappy '09 draft where the talent pool was as bad as any in recent memory, and he still went #10, the '10 draft will be the opposite, as good as any in recent memory. A decent % of the best players went back to school.

Freak Out
08-06-2009, 01:10 PM
If true that takes him out of the equation and should speed up signings.

I'll wager Raji is signed and in camp within 10 days at the most.

Merlin
08-06-2009, 01:28 PM
I can't imagine other players waiting until Crabtree is done playing his contract games to sign. If anything Crabtree holding out cold backfire on those players if they chose to do the same. Also, is there anything that says a team HAS to sign a player they drafted?

KYPack
08-06-2009, 01:39 PM
The signings are log-jammed due to two factors:

Crabtree and his BS with SF.

That DHB kid signing that ridiculous deal with the Raiders.

There will be a delay, but there is too much bread out there for everyone to pass on contracts. It'll get done, but there will be delays this season.

Packnut
08-06-2009, 02:10 PM
The signings are log-jammed due to two factors:

Crabtree and his BS with SF.

That DHB kid signing that ridiculous deal with the Raiders.

There will be a delay, but there is too much bread out there for everyone to pass on contracts. It'll get done, but there will be delays this season.

Yes it will get done, but how many times have we seen this same scenario play out? The kid holds out, missing a good portion of valuable camp time and then when he finally does sign, he's so far behind and out of football shape that he becomes a non-factor in his rookie season.

So basically he gets paid a huge wad of cash and does nothing to earn that first season salary. It's amazing that it happens year after year............

Lurker64
08-06-2009, 02:28 PM
I understand a large part of the holdup is that traditionally, the first 7 get insane contracts, and sanity returns by the #8 spot. This year, in light of the abjectly silly contract that Darius Heyword-Bey signed, the agent for Eugene Monroe wants to see if he can pull the insanity down to #8 as well. At which point, Raji's agent would probably want to see if he can get a silly contract at #9, etc.

How this will probably play out is that if it looks like the Crabtree holdout is going to be looooooong either Monroe's agent is going to figure out that he's going to get a sane contract, and at that point Raji will be simple, or the guys from the back end (like Moreno and Maybin) will get signed and we'll just skip Crabtree when it comes to Raji's contract.

Waldo
08-06-2009, 02:49 PM
I thought another part was that CAA basically said screw it. Working one at a time and looking big, with no rush to get any of their guys to camp (Stafford, Smith, DHB, Moreno, Orakpo, Jenkins, Cushing, Freeman, Maclin), figuring they had a big enough piece of the pie (28% of the first, 47% of the top 19 picks) to blow up the slotting system and traditional rules, all it takes is a few more agents playing along, and the teams have no choice, the agents have basically held a coup forcing well over traditional slotting if teams want there guys in camp.

CAA sees the writing on the wall with slotting coming, and chose to bleed the NFL for all its worth until it can't anymore.

Rastak
08-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Thing is, holding out all season isn't a credible threat. As Waldo has pointed out there it is no sure thing he even goes top 10 next year. In addition, as Florio mentioned, the dude can't workout for anyone while SF holds his rights.

He loses a years pay and might actually get less next year. It isn't even a credible threat I say.

KYPack
08-06-2009, 03:13 PM
This clip ain't for everybody. It's the most scathing player review I've ever heard about DHB (AKA Troy williamson II)

Check it out

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/05/11/final-say-for-now-on-heyward-bey/

MichiganPackerFan
08-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Thing is, holding out all season isn't a credible threat. As Waldo has pointed out there it is no sure thing he even goes top 10 next year. In addition, as Florio mentioned, the dude can't workout for anyone while SF holds his rights.

He loses a years pay and might actually get less next year. It isn't even a credible threat I say.

Right on. No one in their right mind leaves millions on the table. Time value of money makes it worth more to earn it now and even more so in a deflated economy to buy while things are low. If he sits, he sits and rots for a year (see Williams, Mike and Lions, Detroit. He doesn't extend his career by a year, because he can't pause his age. The window to accumulate your life's earnings is very small for an NFL player and forgoing a major chunk of it would be harmful for the player. Now the AGENT on the other hand, has a lot longer time to make their money and a much larger window, so delaying a payday for one may increase his payday with other clients. Sacrifice the one as an example and make your bank elsewhere.

mission
08-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Crabtree wouldn't even be the most intriguing prospect next year in college football. I honestly believe the Georgia sophomore, AJ Green, has a big time NFL future. Under the radar, but not for long ...

I'm so glad we didn't draft him... retrospect, 20/20 and all that garbage.

Waldo
08-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Crabtree wouldn't even be the most intriguing prospect next year in college football. I honestly believe the Georgia sophomore, AJ Green, has a big time NFL future. Under the radar, but not for long ...

I don't think AJ is that under the radar (is it possible for one of the biggest stars on the UGA team to be under the radar), though I'm not sure he's going to rush into the NFL right away, he would be super young if he declared next year, and I'm not sure the NFL would allow it. 2011? He's a sure top 5 pick if he keeps his health.

Scott Campbell
08-06-2009, 04:12 PM
This clip ain't for everybody. It's the most scathing player review I've ever heard about DHB (AKA Troy williamson II)

Check it out

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/05/11/final-say-for-now-on-heyward-bey/

I'm in the Bay Area this week. The sports radio station here provides a daily tally of how many drops he has each day in practice. It's ugly already.

Packnut
08-06-2009, 04:18 PM

He has a lot to overcome namely no solid #2 WR to take the pressure off and Mr Cox does not thrill me at QB. Then again, a solid O-line (which they have) can make even an average QB look great. It will be interesting to watch how it plays out. Still think I'm gonna ride that LSU bandwagon when it comes to the SEC.

mission
08-06-2009, 04:22 PM

I don't think AJ is that under the radar (is it possible for one of the biggest stars on the UGA team to be under the radar), though I'm not sure he's going to rush into the NFL right away, he would be super young if he declared next year, and I'm not sure the NFL would allow it. 2011? He's a sure top 5 pick if he keeps his health.

One of their biggest stars this season but Moreno, Stafford and Massouquai (sp) stole most of the publicity last year when I really felt Green was definitely as electrifying as Moreno and not nearly as inconsistent as MM at WR.

All valid points you make, and he probably won't go after a sophomore year, but other guys have done it with less production on the field. The Fraud, for example.

Just thinking aloud, really... incoherent ramblings ;-)

mission
08-06-2009, 04:23 PM

He has a lot to overcome namely no solid #2 WR to take the pressure off and Mr Cox does not thrill me at QB. Then again, a solid O-line (which they have) can make even an average QB look great. It will be interesting to watch how it plays out. Still think I'm gonna ride that LSU bandwagon when it comes to the SEC.

Ya, I definitely don't think Georgia is an SEC contender this year.

Go Georgia Tech (anyway!) ... hate all those swoop-haired Georgia fratboys :lol:

Packnut
08-06-2009, 04:40 PM

Go Georgia Tech (anyway!) ... hate all those swoop-haired Georgia fratboys :lol:

Ah! There is a team that has peaked my interest. Year 2 of the option attack. If Coach follows form, now that he has the basics installed, I'm looking for him to incorporate the passing game into it. He tried at Navy but there just was never the talent level needed. He might have that kind of talent now..........

KYPack
08-06-2009, 04:46 PM

I thought GT was Georgia fratboy heaven, Tony.
UGA is the home of the fat buzz-cut rednecks.
At least that's who makes the trips to Lexington.

mission
08-07-2009, 12:44 PM

I thought GT was Georgia fratboy heaven, Tony.
UGA is the home of the fat buzz-cut rednecks.
At least that's who makes the trips to Lexington.

Naw, GT are the dorky kids who're still trying to lose their virginity for the most part.

UGA are the guys wearing tucked in polo shorts, swoop-banged hair all down into their eyes and the croakie thing holding their oakley sunglasses around their neck. Redneck either way; Georgia Tech boys are way too "imported" to ever exhibit racist behavior.

GBRulz
08-07-2009, 01:18 PM
I'm so tired of these greedy kids coming out of college thinking simply because they were drafted high, they deserve bigger contracts than most veteran players are getting.

It's getting to the point where drafting in the top 10-15 is more trouble than it's worth. Not only does it cost a team a lot of cap space, but by the time they are solid contributors, their rookie contract is up or close to it and they are holding out for more money anyhow.

This kid has no leverage and I hope to hell SF lets him sit. I say there should be a mandatory two year rookie contract where NONE of them make over a million a year for two years....unless heavily incentive ridden. Although I don't see that happening anytime soon, the next best bet are teams starting to take a stance in that they WILL let these rookies sit.

MichiganPackerFan
08-07-2009, 01:45 PM
I'm so tired of these greedy kids coming out of college thinking simply because they were drafted high, they deserve bigger contracts than most veteran players are getting.

I hate to say it, but it goes a lot further than the NFL. It's the corporate world now. The entitlement generation. Kids thinking that a degree gets you a paycheck. No. A degree gets you in the door. After that, you earn your paycheck. There's no handouts!!

Fritz
08-07-2009, 02:14 PM
Back when I was a kid we weren't spoiled like the kids today. Back then you took your $2.35 an hour minimum wage gladly and smoked home-grown dope on lunch breaks.

Guiness
08-12-2009, 03:10 AM
As interesting as his holdout is how the Bengals are going to get the #6 pick signed for less money than the #7 pick...