PDA

View Full Version : Meredith on Roster Bubble?

Fritz
08-06-2009, 11:55 AM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090805/PKR01/90805141/1058&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL

If you scroll down to Jamon Meredith, those words - "squarely on the roster bubble" are exactly what is written.

Am I wrong in thinking that's a pretty extreme statement? This guy, by all accounts, has the talent to play left tackle in the NFL. I've yet to read anything in the training camp reports that suggests he's being immature or stupid or a locker room lawyer or anything.

Therefore, it's hard for me to imagine he'd be on a roster "bubble." He seems to my untrained eye to be the kind of guy you could never hide on the practice squad, and the kind of talent you can't afford to lose just because he's too raw to play this year. Every team keeps a young guy or two like this and just makes them inactive most or all of the year.

To me, Preston (I know he's an inside guy) or Wells or Moll would be better candidates to be bubblicious than this guy.

What say?

sharpe1027
08-06-2009, 12:05 PM
I don't think it is a stretch to say he's on the buble.

Wells is, until further notice, still part of the starting lineup. I don't see him being cut.

Moll, maybe, but they must like something about him. They keep giving him chances.

pbmax
08-06-2009, 12:13 PM
He would need to completely fall on his face in preseason games, so the video on him looks bad, to get to the practice squad. I think he makes the roster.

wist43
08-06-2009, 12:15 PM
I could certainly see Wells being cut... if he's not the starting Center, and he can't play anywhere else along the line.

I've not been shy about my wish to see Wells released... can't stand the "mighty midget" OL.

sharpe1027
08-06-2009, 12:17 PM
I could certainly see Wells being cut... if he's not the starting Center, and he can't play anywhere else along the line.

I've not been shy about my wish to see Wells released... can't stand the "mighty midget" OL.

The question is, do we have a single guy on the roster that they would trust to play center if Spitz get's hurt? I have my doubts.

rbaloha1
08-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Probably a good candidate for the practice squad. If Meredith fails to make the active roster is Colledge the backup lt?

cheesner
08-06-2009, 12:22 PM
I doubt he is on the bubble. He has lots of potential and it is far too early to give up on him. He looks better than Giacommi did at this point last year, and he made the roster. I might add that Breno caught on midway through the season to a point where he was talked about being the starter at RT over the off season.

AV David
08-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Junius Coston made it 4 years on potential. No way he gets cut. He would never make it to the practice squad. Some trumpeted him as a 1st round draft choice. Many others projected him as a second.

Scott Campbell
08-06-2009, 04:14 PM
5th rounders aren't sacred cows. He'll have to show something.

Fritz
08-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Normally I'd say no, Scott, but this case seems different. Again, I keep reading he's got big-time ability and the knock was that he was a locker room lawyer. So far I've heard nothing about his attitude either way - a good sign, I think.

If he's flashing the talent, and he doesn't act like Ahmad Carroll, I can't see cutting him. Someone would snap him up quick. I think he'll get dragged along on the roster this year, maybe be an inactive.

Do you want to keep your future left tackle or the multi-tasking, multi-average Tony Moll? Or lumbering Duke Preston?

Scott Campbell
08-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Normally I'd say no, Scott, but this case seems different. Again, I keep reading he's got big-time ability and the knock was that he was a locker room lawyer. So far I've heard nothing about his attitude either way - a good sign, I think.

If he's flashing the talent, and he doesn't act like Ahmad Carroll, I can't see cutting him. Someone would snap him up quick. I think he'll get dragged along on the roster this year, maybe be an inactive.

Do you want to keep your future left tackle or the multi-tasking, multi-average Tony Moll? Or lumbering Duke Preston?

Granted, he shouldn't have to show much to beat those guys out. But he'll have to show something. They won't keep him just because they invested a 5th in him.

pbmax
08-06-2009, 05:46 PM
5th rounders aren't sacred cows. He'll have to show something.
5th round Left Tackles with plenty of athletic ability will get picked up on waivers. He will be on the roster unless he simply implodes mentally.

Or punches a coach just like Barbre. :lol: