PDA

View Full Version : Bedard - Dumb? Lazy? Or an axe to grind?

Patler
08-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Today (August 6) Bedard wrote:
5:55
Twitter Greg_A_Bedard: Tannenbaum explains the 7th rnd pick return. Was that so hard, Ted? #packers http://bit.ly/16k9Vd
5:56
Twitter Greg_A_Bedard: Thompson just didn't want to explain the poison pill provision. Must guard state secrets. #packers

If you go to the link, on August 5, Rich Cimini wrote:

As you know, there was a “poison pill” in the original trade agreement that would’ve required the Jets to send future No. 1 picks to the Packers if they traded Favre to the Vikings. In the days leading up to the draft, plotting to trade up for QB Mark Sanchez, the Jets wanted to have the flexibility to deal a future No. 1 pick, if necessary. To satisfy a league technicality, they had to make sure those picks were unencumbered -- even though there was no chance they'd trade him to the Vikes. To get the Packers to re-do the trade, they had to send the seventh rounder back to Green Bay.

"In the spirit of cooperation with Green Bay, it allowed us flexibility going forward and closure to the Favre trade for all sides," GM Mike Tannenbaum told me -- finally.

BUT, back on Sunday on August 2, Ted Thompson already explained:

"There were some future picks tied up that weren't in clear possession of the Jets based on the conditions of the trade," Thompson said.

"(The conditions of the trade) seemed remote enough. The Jets needed a little bit more flexibility in case they wanted to use some future picks to trade. So since that seventh rounder was sort of a throwaway on the (Favre trade), we agreed to change some language in the trade papers in return for the seventh-round pick.

"That's all there was to it. People do that from time to time; change some language of the trade."

It was pretty obvious from what Thompson said on Sunday why the pick was given back. What more did Tannenbaum say on Wednesday that Thompson hadn't already said on Sunday?

Anyone who read at all about the trade knew of the poison pill if the Jets traded Favre to the Vikings. Clearly those were "future picks" that TT referred to.

What's Bedard's agenda???? Or is he just so lazy that he needs it spelled out to him in complete detail? Notice that the link he provided had more explanation from that reporter than it had quotes from Tannenbaum.

Lurker64
08-06-2009, 09:27 PM
I'm pretty sure Bedard has an axe to grind against Thompson, he never passes up an opportunity to cast the organization in a negative light.

MJZiggy
08-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Can I vote for all three?

pbmax
08-06-2009, 10:03 PM
I watched the video conference and I wasn't sure what Thompson actually said they did. I might have put 2 and 2 together faster if I had seen the original JS item or heard the actual question in the PC.

But I can't wait until someone writes the definitive history of this time period of Packer or Jet football teams (hopefully one of them does something noteworthy). Because what each man seems to be saying, while trying REALLY HARD not to say it, was that the poison pill provision of the Favre trade was rescinded or altered. That's the headline, not the seventh pick or the technicality. Neither man seems to want to use the phrase "Favre" because they know it'll be two days of Ed Werder standing on their lawn.

The Jets traded the 09 first round pick (and 2nd rounder) so that would have had to be removed from the poison pill. I'd be curious if they wanted to free up next year's number 1 to be safe, or if they already knew the terms of the deal with Cleveland. Also curious what the terms were changed to.

gbpackfan
08-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Bedard is by far the worst reporter that covers the Packers. He's negative, lazy, and arrogant. I hate him. (that sums it up, doesn't it? :D )

sepporepi
08-07-2009, 06:38 AM
I think the Pc-Term for him is: mentally challenged :lol:

Fritz
08-07-2009, 10:09 AM
I watched the video conference and I wasn't sure what Thompson actually said they did. I might have put 2 and 2 together faster if I had seen the original JS item or heard the actual question in the PC.

But I can't wait until someone writes the definitive history of this time period of Packer or Jet football teams (hopefully one of them does something noteworthy). Because what each man seems to be saying, while trying REALLY HARD not to say it, was that the poison pill provision of the Favre trade was rescinded or altered. That's the headline, not the seventh pick or the technicality. Neither man seems to want to use the phrase "Favre" because they know it'll be two days of Ed Werder standing on their lawn.

The Jets traded the 09 first round pick (and 2nd rounder) so that would have had to be removed from the poison pill. I'd be curious if they wanted to free up next year's number 1 to be safe, or if they already knew the terms of the deal with Cleveland. Also curious what the terms were changed to.

I'll be curious if the whole thing ever comes out, but I'm not sure how you see the poison pill thing being rescinded as that big of a story. By the time the Jets made that trade to be able to get Sanchez, it was abundantly clear they weren't going to trade Favre to the Vikes - hadn't Favre retired and asked for his release by then? That's the part I don't get. If that is so, then the Jets' first rounders would be unencumbered, wouldn't they?

As for Bedard, I'm not a fan. As I wrote in another thread, several reporters seem to know as much about football as I do. I thought that they'd be experts, but no.

Patler
08-07-2009, 10:35 AM
I'll be curious if the whole thing ever comes out, but I'm not sure how you see the poison pill thing being rescinded as that big of a story. By the time the Jets made that trade to be able to get Sanchez, it was abundantly clear they weren't going to trade Favre to the Vikes - hadn't Favre retired and asked for his release by then? That's the part I don't get. If that is so, then the Jets' first rounders would be unencumbered, wouldn't they?

As for Bedard, I'm not a fan. As I wrote in another thread, several reporters seem to know as much about football as I do. I thought that they'd be experts, but no.

Favre was released the week after the draft.