PDA

View Full Version : Paper Tiger Award

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2009, 10:35 AM
The players eligible for the competition are non-rookies who haven't quite made it yet, but who fans have high hopes for. Well documented stumblers like Tony Moll, Brian Brohm and their families are also not eligible. Aaron Rouse, Atari Bigby & DeShawn Wynn are barely eligible as "high hopes" is a bit of a stretch.

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2009, 11:25 AM
I think it's a bit of a reach to put Hawk in here. He was a good player for two years. You might as well put Nick Collins, Daryn Colledge, Ryan Grant, Aaron Rodgers on the list also. I voted Jolly.

GBRulz
08-07-2009, 11:28 AM
I would vote for Justin Harrell, but he isn't on the list. Or doesn't be count because people are losing their high hopes for him?

MadScientist
08-07-2009, 11:35 AM
I think it's a bit of a reach to put Hawk in here. He was a good player for two years. You might as well put Nick Collins, Daryn Colledge, Ryan Grant, Aaron Rodgers on the list also. I voted Jolly.

I don't think "high" hopes and Jolly should be put together.

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2009, 11:37 AM
I don't think "high" hopes and Jolly should be put together.

Jolly's probably already done as much as Ferguson did.
:D

Hell, I had high hopes for Jolly last year. He looked pretty good in 2007, but he took a step back last year.

pbmax
08-07-2009, 11:39 AM
I votes Jones. Injuries or no, he seems to have plateaued. Will be happy to be proven wrong. Second vote would be Rouse.

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm still on the Jolly bandwagon, I expect a lot from him this year. He does present a strong case for a Paper Tiger Award because of the Fergy-like teases.

Justin Harrell lost his eligibility with the multiple injuries. Maybe Hawk has already proved himself as a solid player.

I voted for Jeremy Thompson because of the looks-like-tarzan-plays-like-jane high potential.

Bossman641
08-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Doesn't a player have to go through 4-5 years of "breaking out" before he can be compared to Fergy?

Year 1 - was learning the playbook
Year 2 - was young coming out and hasn't matured physically yet
Year 3 - really worked out hard during the offseason and is ready
Year 4 - had eye surgery in order to correct vision

sharpe1027
08-07-2009, 12:19 PM
I see J. Thompson as on that track. Please, prove me wrong!

Freak Out
08-07-2009, 12:23 PM
I voted Finley....of course we all hope were wrong.

bobblehead
08-07-2009, 01:01 PM
atm I'm all for J. Thompson as a bust (4th round bust?).

He looks great in shorts and drills, but can't make a play. Never even flashed brilliance with pads on that I'm aware of.

Guys like Finley show some flashes....Bishop blows up a guy once in awhile. Hawk still has that one hand pick in the endzone against SF and a couple instant line to QB sacks I recall.

Thompson...not one play that made me say wow. They say he looks good in shorts, but so does my wife. :shock:

DonHutson
08-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Until he proves he can play through a sprained uvula, I have to vote for my pal, DeShawn Wynn.

Fritz
08-07-2009, 02:07 PM
One of the key elements you all seem to be missing is the draft position. Most of the guys mentioned so far have been fourth round or lower picks. I believe Ferguson was a second rounder.

Thus, I vote for Brandon Jackson.

Tarlam!
08-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Typical harlan poll, always focussing on the negative. You could just as easily have made a poll asking the opposite question. Namely, which of these players will make the Pro Bowl!

Edit: :D :D :D

DonHutson
08-07-2009, 02:56 PM
You could just as easily have made a poll asking the opposite question. Namely, which of these players will make the Pro Bowl!

Excellent point, Tarlam.

From that list, I nominate Atari Bigby as a sleeper pick for the Pro Bowl. In the '07 preseason and the '07 post season he was making big play after big play. After in injury ravaged '08 I believe this D will take advantage of his skills to the point that he's making game turning plays every week.

I'm also fairly confident that we haven't seen the best of AJ Hawk. I won't predict a Pro Bowl this year, but I believe a healthier Hawk will be a more productive Hawk.

sharpe1027
08-07-2009, 03:00 PM
For my probowl vote would have to go with Spitz, followed by Bigby.

Freak Out
08-07-2009, 03:47 PM
My pro bowl vote goes to Finley. :)

MichiganPackerFan
08-07-2009, 04:02 PM
I'll put Hawk down for the ProBowl, just to add some balance to the forum :roll:

Bretsky
08-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Where is Brian Brohm ?

He's my vote

Both 2nd round pick that greatly disappointed in year one. I agree it's too early to judge him......but from the sounds of it Brohm is progressing little.

Brando19
08-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Where is Brian Brohm ?

He's my vote

Both 2nd round pick that greatly disappointed in year one. I agree it's too early to judge him......but from the sounds of it Brohm is progressing little.

It's explained why Brohm isn't on here in the first post. I agree..though...he would have probably been my vote, as well.

Bretsky
08-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Where is Brian Brohm ?

He's my vote

It's explained why Brohm isn't on here in the first post. I agree..though...he would have probably been my vote, as well.

oops; guess I should have read that

SnakeLH2006
08-08-2009, 01:41 AM
Jordy....Nice name and youtube vids...I wanna like the guy...

Dude is a white hype otherwise. Made 0 truly great plays in 2008. His 32 yard TD was a given.....

Dude is nothing great till proven otherwise. 1.8 YAC is not that good.

woodbuck27
08-08-2009, 08:00 AM
One of the key elements you all seem to be missing is the draft position. Most of the guys mentioned so far have been fourth round or lower picks. I believe Ferguson was a second rounder.

Thus, I vote for Brandon Jackson.

I hate predicting failure but since this is a friendly thread. Then let's go all the way with this and the possibility the next Robert Ferguson will be Jordy Nelson. No!

Is this fella even on the list? Gee! What his name? That DT has become so obscure that's easy to forget.

DonHutson
08-08-2009, 08:59 AM

I guess to me the comparison to Ferguson (and the phrase 'paper tiger') has less to do with draft position, and more to do with failing to reach your potential due to a long list of seemingly minor injuries.