PDA

View Full Version : Tentative careers of roster bottom players

Patler
08-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Making no predictions, but when you are a second string player, the last thing you can afford to do is be injured. Ruvell Martin has been dinged up and is out today. The following is from today's blog on the GBPG website:

3:38
Tom Pelissero: Crazy 4 man pressure brings Woodson right at Rodgers. Probably a sack but he hits Allen, who is having a nice little day.
3:44
Tom Pelissero: Rodgers finishes 4 for 7 against the blitz. Flynn 1 for 3, brohm 2 for 2 including a nice td up the seam to Finley
3:44
Tom Pelissero: Allen strikes again. Great wheel route against Poppinga and drags his toes for a 12 yard td.
3:57
Tom Pelissero: Jake Allen! Great adjustment on an underthrown ball for a big gain against Woodson, who ended up down. Would have been a 98 yard td.

Martin has got to be chomping at the bit to get back on the field. Allen is a big tall guy(6'4") like Martin, but lighter. Younger too. If the staff feels that Martin has topped out, and Allen is similar now but of unknown potential, it would be easy to let Martin go and keep someone younger who offers the same sort of play.

If Martin were not hurt, Allen might not be getting the reps he is. As I said, the last thing the #5 receiver can afford to do is open the door for someone else by missing practices.

Scott Campbell
08-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Speaking of tenuous roster spots, I see that Jamarko Simmons was released last week. I was kind of pulling for the guy. Anybody know what happened?

I'd be fine with somebody beating out Ruvell.

Rastak
08-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Can't make the club in the tub as they say.

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2009, 04:46 PM
I wouldn't write off any of the young WRs beating out Martin, but I will say that Allen's camp seems hot and cold. I've read about him dropping the ball on other days.

Patler
08-07-2009, 04:56 PM
I wouldn't write off any of the young WRs beating out Martin, but I will say that Allen's camp seems hot and cold. I've read about him dropping the ball on other days.

A couple days ago Allen was referred to as a disappointment so far; and I'm not at all suggesting that he is in line to beat out RM. What struck me is that he is a big body receiver, like Martin. Most observers seem to think Swain might be the guy to beat out Martin, but if they want at least one bigger body receiver, Swain isn't the guy. Allen could be. A couple big days playing with better players because Martin is out could make the coaches have second thoughts.

If anyone is to beat out Martin, he will probably have to be a decent blocker and a special teams contributor. That's what Martin brings to the team. With Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson and maybe Finley from the TE spot; you might not need or even be able to offer a lot of receptions to the #5 receiver.

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2009, 05:31 PM
It's possible they keep 6 receivers, if somebody like Allen steps up.

Patler
08-07-2009, 06:14 PM
It's possible they keep 6 receivers, if somebody like Allen steps up.

Especially if they have only 2 TEs, and I haven't heard much about anyone other than Lee and Finley.

The article about Havner raised some interesting possibilities. They said he was lining on all #1 STs. If that is the case he could be the #3 TE and a backup LB, since he practices at both. It would make him a very valuable game day active as a backup on both O & D while being a key ST member.

MJZiggy
08-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Now there's job security.

SnakeLH2006
08-08-2009, 01:59 AM
Speaking of tenuous roster spots, I see that Jamarko Simmons was released last week. I was kind of pulling for the guy. Anybody know what happened?

Snake can't stand Ruvell. Since when did "my QB is my buddy" equal a roster spot?

KYPack
08-08-2009, 08:44 PM

Yeah, he had that midwestern, hard workin' WR factor going. He had leg miseries from last season. It got him cut, but he's the kind of kid that will probably stay at it. A little slow, but a hard working kid.

I like him, too, but he was a looong shot on this team.

Fritz
08-09-2009, 09:53 AM
I didn't know Jamarko Simmons was released and I too wonder what happened.

I also heard the Kitties signed Carson Butler - anybody know what happened with him in GB? Hurt too much?

I do wonder if at the #5 receiver slot the Packers want a ST guy mostly, and if so what type of guy? A big-build guy or a smaller but maybe faster guy?

Maybe Ruvell Martin is competing with Spencer Havner for a roster spot.

I had also read a few days ago that Allen was dropping balls. It's weird how if you're Jordy Nelson or something you can do that and be okay, but if you're Jake Allen that might be your death knell. Nothing like a little pressure!