PDA

View Full Version : Rookie contracts

packrulz
08-08-2009, 06:33 AM
The only ones who haven't signed yet who were drafted ahead of BJ are Curry, Smith, & Monroe, I think they'll all sign within a week. Something needs to be done about these rookie contracts, the money they are getting without even playing a single down is insane. Too often rookies get big signing bonuses and then just "coast" because they're set for life.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d810d9ec2&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Note they are signing 5 year deals, BJ might get around $30 mil, maybe $15 guaranteed.

swede
08-08-2009, 08:37 AM
I just peeked at the same info and was going to post it. :lol:

Let Crabtree be a shmuck, but everyone else should have enough to go on to get the last first rounders slotted and signed.

Andre Smith in Cincinatti could be a bit of a problem to sign. Will he get closer to 40 mil or 50? He is sitting in a pretty big gap.

ND72
08-08-2009, 09:17 AM
The only ones who haven't signed yet who were drafted ahead of BJ are Curry, Smith, & Monroe, I think they'll all sign within a week. Something needs to be done about these rookie contracts, the money they are getting without even playing a single down is insane. Too often rookies get big signing bonuses and then just "coast" because they're set for life.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d810d9ec2&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Note they are signing 5 year deals, BJ might get around $30 mil, maybe $15 guaranteed.

I have been thinking the exact same thing. Think about Detroit. If Stafford doesn't pan out, think of how much money and years that team is set back even MORE! I really think the NFL needs to put a rookie salary in place, each pick has a set amount of money already in place, kind of like the NBA. As much as I can't stand pro basketball, the NBA has a good system in place for rookies.

oregonpackfan
08-08-2009, 10:17 AM
If Crabtree decides to hold out until next year's draft, how is he going to financially support himself? Other than football, he doesn't seem to have any marketable job skills. Even if he does have marketable job skills, he would have once heck of a challenge finding a job in today's economy.

I can't help but feel that many of these agents of the #1 picks do have have the best interests of their client in mind. The agents want that 15% cut of the signed contract to be higher for themselves.

MichiganPackerFan
08-08-2009, 10:38 AM
If Crabtree decides to hold out until next year's draft, how is he going to financially support himself? Other than football, he doesn't seem to have any marketable job skills. Even if he does have marketable job skills, he would have once heck of a challenge finding a job in today's economy.

I can't help but feel that many of these agents of the #1 picks do have have the best interests of their client in mind. The agents want that 15% cut of the signed contract to be higher for themselves.

I put this in another thread, but I believe its very relevant:
No one in their right mind leaves millions on the table. Time value of money makes it worth more to earn it now and even more so in a deflated economy to buy while things are low. If he sits, he sits and rots for a year (see Williams, Mike and Lions, Detroit. He doesn't extend his career by a year, because he can't pause his age. The window to accumulate your life's earnings is very small for an NFL player and forgoing a major chunk of it would be harmful for the player. Now the AGENT on the other hand, has a lot longer time to make their money and a much larger window, so delaying a payday for one may increase his payday with other clients. Sacrifice the one as an example and make your bank elsewhere.

mission
08-08-2009, 01:57 PM

Agent advance. A guy like Crabtree is never gonna have a "job".

Rastak
08-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Michigan is right. It's not like Elway who had a baseball contract waiting. If Crabtree wants to holdout and the 9er's say screw him, then he's gonna have to break eventually. It may take a while but he'll have to see the light. His stupid cousin might be the dumbass planting this stuff in his ear, besides Parker. It really makes no sense. Parker knows how this stuff works, he must have gotten some strange marching orders from the Crabtree camp.

Fritz
08-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Michigan is right. It's not like Elway who had a baseball contract waiting. If Crabtree wants to holdout and the 9er's say screw him, then he's gonna have to break eventually. It may take a while but he'll have to see the light. His stupid cousin might be the dumbass planting this stuff in his ear, besides Parker. It really makes no sense. Parker knows how this stuff works, he must have gotten some strange marching orders from the Crabtree camp.

Is Bus Cook Crabby's cousin?