PDA

View Full Version : Kampman "perfect" in coverage so far!

Patler
08-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Probably the most informative "Aaron Kampman switch to lkinebacker article to date:

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090807/PKR01/90807141/1058

Iteresting quotes from it:

Capers and outside linebackers coach Kevin Greene said this week that Kampman has been near perfect on his coverage assignments so far in camp, which is a notable feat for a guy who almost never was asked to drop into coverage, especially not against receivers, during his first seven NFL seasons.

Greene said. “If you assume proper leverage position where your hip is, you’re fine. I don’t believe we have a defense where we just match up an outside backer (on a receiver) and just say, ‘you’re locked up.’ But we do have defenses that match them up and say, ‘this is where your help is and you have to carry them on this type of leverage, stay here and cause this kind of throw.’”

To be sure, there are times where Kampman — and the other outside linebackers — will have to cover tight ends and running backs, but so much of Capers’ system is based on zone coverage, so it’s never really a true one-on-one assignment.

Never one to seek the spotlight, Kampman said he maintained his silence for much of the offseason because he felt it was wrong for so much of the focus to be on his transition when the rest of the returning players were going through the same thing.

“It kind of took on a life of its own,” Kampman said. “The reality is that I kind of became the centerpiece, and there were 10 other guys on defense that also were dealing with the same thing. The biggest thing that was uncomfortable for me was that I’m just one of 11.”

Good, informative article worth reading.

pbmax
08-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Greene said. “If you assume proper leverage position where your hip is, you’re fine. I don’t believe we have a defense where we just match up an outside backer (on a receiver) and just say, ‘you’re locked up.’ But we do have defenses that match them up and say, ‘this is where your help is and you have to carry them on this type of leverage, stay here and cause this kind of throw.’”
This is the key. Bill Belicheck was quoted at some point that 90% of defense is knowing where your help is. That eliminates the necessity to make the play or open field tackle one on one. The chances of a big play happening then are greatly minimized.

rbaloha1
08-08-2009, 03:19 PM
Expect AK to be assignment sure -- even though it may not look pretty. Its the safeties we need to be concerned about.

woodbuck27
08-09-2009, 10:14 AM
I'm glad to read this.