PDA

View Full Version : Family Night

Brando19
08-08-2009, 11:15 AM
What time does it start? Is there anywhere on the internet I can watch this?

Last year, Favre was in the press box watching. This year, the focus can be on the football team. I can't wait to see how the 3-4 looks in a "game". Hopefully most of the starters will be on the field for a quarter. Too bad Raji can't be there.

Wonder if there will be any Vick signs in the crowd?

sharpe1027
08-08-2009, 11:20 AM

Last year, Favre was in the press box watching. This year, the focus can be on the football team. I can't wait to see how the 3-4 looks in a "game". Hopefully most of the starters will be on the field for a quarter. Too bad Raji can't be there.

http://www.packerstrainingcamp.com/family_night/

When/Where:
Saturday, Aug. 8, 2009, Lambeau Field.
Evening activities get underway in the stadium at 5:30 p.m., followed by on-field football drills at 6:30 and the scrimmage at approximately 7:45.

Television:
For fans not attending the event, it will be televised in Green Bay on WLUK-TV FOX 11, as well as on WITI-TV in Milwaukee, WMSN-TV in Madison, WFXS-TV in Wausau and WLAX-TV in La Crosse. Hosted by Drew Smith and other members of the Fox 11 sports and news staffs, the live broadcast will start at 6:30 p.m.

Not sure about Internet... :(

Correction, here is the online version for you:

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/fn_wluk_greenbay_family_night_schedule

Brando19
08-08-2009, 03:32 PM

http://www.packerstrainingcamp.com/family_night/

When/Where:
Saturday, Aug. 8, 2009, Lambeau Field.
Evening activities get underway in the stadium at 5:30 p.m., followed by on-field football drills at 6:30 and the scrimmage at approximately 7:45.

Television:
For fans not attending the event, it will be televised in Green Bay on WLUK-TV FOX 11, as well as on WITI-TV in Milwaukee, WMSN-TV in Madison, WFXS-TV in Wausau and WLAX-TV in La Crosse. Hosted by Drew Smith and other members of the Fox 11 sports and news staffs, the live broadcast will start at 6:30 p.m.

Not sure about Internet... :(

Correction, here is the online version for you:

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/fn_wluk_greenbay_family_night_schedule

Thank you times a million!

Lurker64
08-08-2009, 03:45 PM
If you want to watch it, but aren't in Wisconsin, it will be rebroadcast on the NFL Network on Monday at 7 PM Central time.

falco
08-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Does anybody else get Wausau locals in HD through Dish Network? Does WFXS always have transmission problems, or is it just the feed from the Yankees/Sox game?

Brando19
08-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Scrimmage was just cancelled! :cry:

Didn't even get a snap in due to rain and lightning! Oh well...McCarthy will be at the podium shortly.

Kiwon
08-09-2009, 08:37 AM
Any firsthand accounts from any Packer Rats that were there?

It must have been a bummer for everyone.

GBRulz
08-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Talked to many people that went, along with hearing the general attitude from friends of friends that went, etc and people are PISSED OFF.

Now, can the Packers control the weather, of course not. However, everyone I talked to said there was absolutely no communication at all about the scrimmage being canceled. They even asked the ushers and other officers around, nobody knew anything. People sat there for 1-1/2 hrs without hearing a word about anything. Nice communication.

One friend told me that they then checked the Fox 11 website through their phone and it had indicated the scrimmage was canceled. After they got home, they noticed that the Packers went ahead with the jersey giveaways and fireworks about two hours later and from what I understand, maybe 1/3 of the people even saw any of that.

The part that people are really irritated about is what the Packers are doing for them as compensation. They are asking people to come back before Aug 31, buy some kind of tour and they will give them a free HOF pass. What a deal.

Murphy is really going to catch some heat on this one. From all the firsthand accounts that I've heard about people who were there, I have to agree with the fans 100%.

woodbuck27
08-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Scrimmage was just cancelled! :cry:

Didn't even get a snap in due to rain and lightning! Oh well...McCarthy will be at the podium shortly.

What!! This is football not a Sunday School picnic. That decision is just embarassing or was it?

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090808/PKR01/90808060/1989/GPG02/Notebook--Lingering-lightning--not-rain--prompted-cancellation

Also this:

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090808/PKR01/90808038/1989/GPG02/Rain--lightning-crash-Packers--Lambeau-party

woodbuck27
08-09-2009, 10:29 AM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090808/PKR01/90808056/1989/GPG02/McCarthy-sticks-to-practice-schedule

McCarthy sticks to practice schedule
Scrapped scrimmage gives hurting players extra time off to heal

By Pete Dougherty • pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com • August 8, 2009

Patler
08-09-2009, 10:58 AM
However, everyone I talked to said there was absolutely no communication at all about the scrimmage being canceled. They even asked the ushers and other officers around, nobody knew anything. People sat there for 1-1/2 hrs without hearing a word about anything. Nice communication.

One friend told me that they then checked the Fox 11 website through their phone and it had indicated the scrimmage was canceled. After they got home, they noticed that the Packers went ahead with the jersey giveaways and fireworks about two hours later and from what I understand, maybe 1/3 of the people even saw any of that.

The part that people are really irritated about is what the Packers are doing for them as compensation. They are asking people to come back before Aug 31, buy some kind of tour and they will give them a free HOF pass. What a deal.

I can understand why people are upset, but as far as the wait was concerned, it seemed the Packers waited themselevs, hoping to get it in if the weather gave then a break, and they didn't actually cancel it for close to 2 hours.

No excuse, however, for the lack of communication. They should have provided periodic P.A. updates, scoreboard messages, monitor messages, etc; "We're still hoping to play" etc.; and they should have announced that the jersey giveaway would still be held.

The compensation? A joke. When I read that I couldn't believe it. BUY a stadium tour and get a free HOF entrance? Pay even MORE??? They should flat out offer a refund, or at least offer a FREE stadium tour or a FREE Hall of Fame admittance by presenting the Family night ticket. They didn't deliver the product for which the original ticket was bought. Sure, it would be a huge hassle to do it, but nothing short of that is fair to the fans.

Scott Campbell
08-09-2009, 11:02 AM
It seems that what started out as event to generate goodwill has morphed into an event to generate revenue.

bigcoz75
08-09-2009, 11:18 AM
I was there last night and yes it sucked being crammed in the concourse with the rest of the bowl. We didn't stay too long after we were evacuated seeing it was myself and three boys the oldest being 9 and they were hard enough to keep in check in the regular crowds. The worst part is we had the best seats I've ever had for any Lambeau event, 2nd row on the 30. :(

Anyways we had a great view of the warmups. Notable outs were Al Harris, Matthews, and Pat Lee. The punters were atrocious with Kapinos being the best of the bad. I can't remember seeing so many shanks in practice conditions. The Crosby concerns seem to be a thing of the past, he hit everything I saw him attempt, his holder is now Kapinos and not Flynn as I had read it was earlier.

Two players I noted as catching everything tossed their way Finely and..... Nick Collins. I have a picture of Finely making an awesome tip toe finger tip catch along the sideline the guys going to surprise alot of people if he can do it in game situations. Collins surprised me most after his first few years of dropping everything. Not sure what he's changed but it has worked. Everything remotely near him was brought in he seemed to take part of every catching drill available to him including fielding punts.

Didn't get a good look at much else but noticed in LBer drills Kampman looked as fluid as any other OLB on the team. Also watched coach Greene chew out Obiozor he's a great presence on the field. None of the MLBs stood out to me but I admittedly paid more attention to the OLB group.

GrnBay007
08-09-2009, 11:26 AM
No excuse, however, for the lack of communication. They should have provided periodic P.A. updates, scoreboard messages, monitor messages, etc; "We're still hoping to play" etc.; and they should have announced that the jersey giveaway would still be held.

The compensation? A joke. When I read that I couldn't believe it. BUY a stadium tour and get a free HOF entrance? Pay even MORE??? They should flat out offer a refund, or at least offer a FREE stadium tour or a FREE Hall of Fame admittance by presenting the Family night ticket. They didn't deliver the product for which the original ticket was bought. Sure, it would be a huge hassle to do it, but nothing short of that is fair to the fans.

I agree. The event is a great opportunity for people to be able to afford to bring the whole family to Lambeau Field for a fun/entertaining night. I'm sure there are many people that travel for this. Two of my co-workers took their families this year....4 hour drive each way with good traffic. I think they could have given a better compensation. That is ridiculous.

woodbuck27
08-10-2009, 08:25 AM
From Packers.com and Mike McCarthy's News Conference of 8 Aug. '09.

Question: Can you talk about the process of calling off the scrimmage?

Really Ted Thompson and Mark Murphy could probably give you more of the specifics. Their command center was up in the press box. I was in the locker room, and we just had constant communication. We were watching the Doppler TV, just like you were. We actually listened to what you guys said for once was accurate. Just trying to keep the players loose. The strength coaches were just trying to keep those guys going, because some players were in the locker room, and really once it got to about 8:15, 8:30, I was actually concerned. Because these guys were really hyped up to play tonight.

Question: Was it your decision to take the team off the field in the first place?

It was clearly a weather decision. There was a lightning strike, and there's a procedure in place. When they empty the bowl obviously we get off the field. It was clearly a safety issue.

GO PACK GO!

]{ilr]3
08-10-2009, 08:53 AM
It seems that what started out as event to generate goodwill has morphed into an event to generate revenue.

I really enjoyed Family Night when we went 3 years ago, I would have been really ticked off if they had cancelled though after driving 475 miles to get there.

As far as being a money making event its hard to imagine that at $10 a pop it paid for all the people it takes to put on such an event, the lights and the fireworks.

I can understand why they would not offer refunds.

Doesnt mean it doesnt suck for the people who came and that its not the right thing to do though

GBRulz
08-10-2009, 11:15 AM
{ilr]3]

I really enjoyed Family Night when we went 3 years ago, I would have been really ticked off if they had cancelled though after driving 475 miles to get there.

As far as being a money making event its hard to imagine that at $10 a pop it paid for all the people it takes to put on such an event, the lights and the fireworks.

I can understand why they would not offer refunds.

Doesnt mean it doesnt suck for the people who came and that its not the right thing to do though

The lights are on almost every night at Lambeau anyhow, so it's not like turning them on is an added expense for them. The fireworks are paid for by the event sponsors. At $10 a head, plus all the concessions they take in. Yeah, sorry but it's hard to for me garner any sympathy in the fact that they might have lost money...fat chance. NO doubt this has turned into a money making event. The Packers used to not charge admission at all for this, I believe for the firsrt 4-5 years. It was started as a way to give back to the fans.

It's not the fact that people weren't offered full refunds as to why they are upset. It's the lack of communication while they were sitting in the concession areas waiting to hear what was going on. Then Murphy tells them they have to come back and spend more money on his schedule to give them a free HOF pass. What they should have done was simply give anyone producing a Family Night ticket stub a free pass.

I guess living here, it's different, I see more of the political sides of things and not just view Packers as the greatest team in all of sports...which they are, of course

:wink:

Harlan Huckleby
08-10-2009, 11:34 AM
I would nominate Daryn Colledge as MVP for the evening, he gave the best interview. I did fall asleep a couple times, so I may have missed some more exciting moments.

Waldo
08-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Thing that sucked, I was watching the weather radar the whole time, and it was a weird storm.

Instead of a squall line perpendicular to the direction of motion, it was a blob of cells in a line parallel to the direction of motion. But it had a little drift, mostly in the formation of new cells, which formed at the rear of the line, and south of formerly intense cells.

The strong ones hit near GB right away, but there were more strong ones to the west that seemed that they would pass well north of GB. I thought that it wouldn't even last 45 minutes at first. But new cells just kept popping up right behind and south of the ones that went through, the new ones kept forming on a path headed directly at GB.

You never could have predicted that occurring. Even while watching it, 30 minutes into it, it seemed that it would be over soon.

packinpatland
08-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Guess it's time to build a dome :shock: ..........................just kidding.

Harlan Huckleby
08-10-2009, 05:37 PM
I think they should play Arena Football for the scrimmage.

retailguy
08-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Guess it's time to build a dome :shock: ..........................just kidding.

"The Applebee's Dome" at Lambeau Field.... Hmm. I kind of like it. How about a 120k seat dome? :P

Tarlam!
08-11-2009, 01:44 AM
Instead of a squall line perpendicular to the direction of motion, it was a blob of cells in a line parallel to the direction of motion. But it had a little drift, mostly in the formation of new cells, which formed at the rear of the line, and south of formerly intense cells.

:shock: :shock: :shock: So, if Waldo doesn't get the opportunity to analyze how our 'backers are doing he takes dissects, cloud by cloud, the attack the weather cooked up to beat the Packers.

I wonder if M3 will come back and say "We need to review the film, but, we'll get that fixed"

MJZiggy
08-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Mark Murphy Letter to the Fans RE: Family Night

Dear Packers Fans who attended Family Night,

On behalf of the Green Bay Packers organization, I want to extend a sincere thank you for your excellent “performance” at our Family Night event this past Saturday. You are to be commended for your cooperation during the dangerous weather, which helped us maintain safety as the top priority for all fans and players.

Your spirit and enthusiasm was outstanding, and from the moment many of you arrived in the afternoon through the football team’s pre-scrimmage warm-ups, your energy continued to build. Our players and coaches really appreciated the game-like atmosphere you provided in the stadium, and it made a memorable impression on them.

Most of all, we appreciated your patience during the subsequent delay due to the dangerous lightning storms. I saw the younger fans doing a great job of making the most of their time in the concourses.

It was a tremendous disappointment for all involved that the team was unable to compete in the scrimmage, but fortunately we were able to continue with the jersey giveaways and the fireworks after the danger had passed. We hope those who were able to stay enjoyed the conclusion to the event.

Thank you again for your cooperation and understanding, and for once again proving the Packers have the best fans in the NFL.

Sincerely,

Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy
President & CEO

P.S. – With your Family Night ticket, we would like to offer free admission to the Packers Hall of Fame, either in conjunction with the purchase of a Lambeau Field stadium tour, or as a stand-alone offer if you have already taken a paid tour this year. This offer is available through the end of the 2009 season.

Kiwon
08-11-2009, 07:42 PM
It's too bad for the families. Nothing equals to the excitement of going to a game, especially for the kids.