PDA

View Full Version : Pat Lee Spasming As We Speak

Fritz
08-09-2009, 09:59 AM
What's up with ol' Pat Lee? He was one of those very raw but very talented guys, we were told. Not a peep out of him last year, which was to be expected, but now his back is flaring up and even before that did anyone read much if anything about how he was or wasn't doing?

Apparently he's competing with Blackmon for the fourth corner spot, but I'd also read that Blackmon has been struggling with zone coverage and is getting turned around.

Is Pat Lee quietly becoming a bust in progress? Or is he still way too young? I just thought maybe he'd flash something once in a while, but I haven't read anything about that happening.

Patler
08-09-2009, 10:23 AM
What's up with ol' Pat Lee? He was one of those very raw but very talented guys, we were told. Not a peep out of him last year, which was to be expected, but now his back is flaring up and even before that did anyone read much if anything about how he was or wasn't doing?

Apparently he's competing with Blackmon for the fourth corner spot, but I'd also read that Blackmon has been struggling with zone coverage and is getting turned around.

Is Pat Lee quietly becoming a bust in progress? Or is he still way too young? I just thought maybe he'd flash something once in a while, but I haven't read anything about that happening.

If I recall correctly (and I might not) one of the interesting aspects of Pat Lee was that he had played a lot of press coverage in college, so seemed to fit in with what the Packers wanted to do. He might not fit so well now. Even so, it was expected that he would take a while to develop, and now he might have been set back a little having to emphasize different techniques.

Fritz
08-09-2009, 11:53 AM
So you're not terribly worried at this point?

I'm not either. However, if next year he's not competing for a starting job or a nickelback job (and I don't mean the rock band), then I'll be concerned.

I would like the team to get some production out of him this year, if possible, perhaps at a #4 corner and special teams flyer.

Patler
08-09-2009, 12:08 PM
So you're not terribly worried at this point?

I'm not either. However, if next year he's not competing for a starting job or a nickelback job (and I don't mean the rock band), then I'll be concerned.

I would like the team to get some production out of him this year, if possible, perhaps at a #4 corner and special teams flyer.

There had been some talk of him having made decent improvement last year, but then he got injured and never really had a chance to show it on the field. With the new techniques the CBs are asked to play now, unfortunately, he may be starting over to some extent, and he may not be as good of a fit on the team as he would have been.

I've always felt Lee was a true "potential" pick. He didn't play all that much in college, so he was a little unknown. Supposedly, physically and athletically he is just about the way you would draw a CB from scratch, and he had enough performance as a senior to be worth a gamble. I have kind of thought that maybe he was picked a bit too high, but maybe the draft last year was such that he fell in that range, or maybe TT assessed him too highly. It happens. I don't get too excited when any one draft pick flops, regardless of where he was picked. I tend to look more at how many in total are flops and how many become contributors. Every GM makes high round mistakes.

Fritz
08-09-2009, 04:28 PM
However, if he is what you'd draw up from scratch for a corner, another year of maturing should be enough to get him where he needs to be as a corner. Next year will be the big year, I think.

red
08-09-2009, 05:17 PM
i was happy with what i saw of him in preseason last year. he seemed to be a nice big physical corner

but like patler said, he was suppose to be a man coverage guy

theres a chance he might just be a wasted pick at this point, a casualty of the defensive switch to more zone. that plus his inability to stay healthy

should have drafted brandon flowers like i wanted to do

8-)

Patler
08-09-2009, 05:38 PM

8-)

He was gone before their first pick, wasn't he?

MJZiggy
08-09-2009, 05:49 PM

8-)

Details...

red
08-09-2009, 06:08 PM

8-)

he was there for our original pick, but we traded down and missed him

red
08-09-2009, 06:10 PM
SNAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I outsmarted patler on something

MJZiggy
08-09-2009, 06:13 PM
SNAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't get carried away. Who'd we get with the extra pick and do you want to get rid of both of them to get Flowers?

red
08-09-2009, 06:17 PM
SNAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't get carried away. Who'd we get with the extra pick and do you want to get rid of both of them to get Flowers?

we ended up with jordy and jeremy thompson because of that trade

so its a though call at this point

Patler
08-09-2009, 10:25 PM

8-)

So you really wanted to pay Round 1 money to a 5'9" 185 lb. cornerback to play in Green Bay? Historically, that has been a huge mistake, one that Ron Wolf said he would never make again. He insisted that cold weather mandated larger corners.

Partial
08-09-2009, 11:05 PM

8-)

So you really wanted to pay Round 1 money to a 5'9" 185 lb. cornerback to play in Green Bay? Historically, that has been a huge mistake, one that Ron Wolf said he would never make again. He insisted that cold weather mandated larger corners.

I don't see the correlation between size and weather, beyond that the weather could dictate a greater % of running plays. What are you getting at here? I must be missing something.

MJZiggy
08-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Heavier people tolerate cold better...(you really needed that explained?)

Partial
08-10-2009, 12:17 AM
Heavier people tolerate cold better...(you really needed that explained?)

Yes, because that doesn't make any sense at all. If he's bigger, as in fatter, than sure, but if he's just a slightly taller version of the other player with equivalent body fat %, than I don't see a huge difference in tolerance for cold.

Patler
08-10-2009, 01:01 AM
I don't see the correlation between size and weather, beyond that the weather could dictate a greater % of running plays. What are you getting at here? I must be missing something.

Wolf had a theory about it. He said the small, light players did not hold up well when the weather got bad. They didn't play well on bad fields, trying to rely on speed and quickness. Their smaller size allowed them to be pushed around and physically dominated on bad footing when "mudders" took over.

That's the best I can remember and explain what he said. After being around a while he said he had a minimum size for corners that he would not go below, after having made the mistake of ignoring size earlier.

Fritz
08-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Yes, Patler, I believe you are correct. I think Wolf also felt that way about linemen - and not just in terms of the weather. He liked bigger guys. Thus when GB played Denver in that Super Bowl I'm still trying to forget, it was a little shocking that Denver abused GB's defensive line so badly.