View Full Version : Jagodzinski - tremendous respect for the tight end's

woodbuck27
07-21-2006, 10:45 AM
New offense puts more focus on tight ends
Unit could be best in division

By ROB REISCHEL
Special to Packer Plus

Posted: July 20, 2006

Green Bay - Jeff Jagodzinski has tremendous respect for the tight end position.

Photos/Mark Hoffman

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/jul06/sbf719.jpg

Bubba Franks caught a career-low 25 passes last season, but when healthy, Franks (6-6, 265) can be a huge weapon in the red zone.

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/jul06/sdm719.jpg

David Martin had his best year as a pro last season. Martin finished with 27 catches and led the tight ends group with three touchdowns.

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/jul06/sdl719.jpg

Donald Lee (6-4, 248) led Green Bay's tight ends in receptions (33) and receiving yards (294) last season. And his first two receptions were for touchdowns.

Story:

Green Bay's first-year offensive coordinator was the Packers tight ends coach from 1999-2003 and held that same position in Atlanta in 2004. In that time, Jagodzinski helped mold Pro Bowl players Bubba Franks and Alge Crumpler.

Jagodzinski loves what the tight end position can do for an offense. And when the Packers begin play Sept. 10, it's a safe bet that positional group will see more action than it did in recent years under Mike Sherman and Tom Rossley.

"I have no complaints as of this point," Franks said recently. "They're actually going to put the tight end in every different position - even the backfield - and that means we're going to be involved more. Were even going to be split out more.

"It will be every single position that you can put a tight end in and still run the play. It's not like they're going to change plays, they're just going to put us in different spots, and I'm anxious to run a fade from split out. That'll be exciting."

Jagodzinski is excited about what this collection of tight ends can do.

Although there isn't an Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzalez on the roster, the trio of Franks, David Martin and Donald Lee is quite solid.

And on an offense where questions abound, the tight ends could be an extremely important part of the attack.

"We've got talent. We've got talent here," Jagodzinski said of his tight ends. "We just have to put guys in position to succeed."

For Franks, that means staying on the field.

The 2005 season was the most frustrating of Franks' career. First, he missed four weeks of training camp while management took its sweet time during contract negotiations. Then, knee, back and neck injuries limited Franks to 10 games and he saw his consecutive-games streak end at 82.

Franks, now in his seventh year, caught a career-low 25 passes last season. And over the past three years, he's averaged just 29.7 catches.

Both Jagodzinski and first-year coach Mike McCarthy have hinted that they want Franks to have a more active role in the offense, much as he did early in his career. In 2002, Franks had a career-high 54 receptions and in 2001 he had a career-best nine touchdowns.

And no one wants a return to that level more than Franks himself.

"My mentality is I missed last year, and then I've got this year," Franks said. "How do you make that up? Balls out and have double the amount of catches - hopefully if I get them - and score double the amount of touchdowns. That's the only way I know how to make it up. Just . . . last year was difficult. Very difficult.

"I'm kind of now just getting over it."

Franks, an extremely prideful player and a locker room favorite, was extremely bothered how his 2005 season unfolded.

He suffered a bruised left knee early in the year that sidelined him for virtually all of Weeks 3-5. Late in the season, Franks was drilled by Philadelphia safety Brian Dawkins and carted off the field on a stretcher.

Franks was cleared to play the following week at Chicago, but on Green Bay's first possession, he was leveled by Bears linebacker Lance Briggs. Franks later developed neck and back soreness and didn't play the final four weeks.

Franks never has, and never will run particularly well. But when healthy, Franks (6-6, 265) can be a huge weapon in the red zone and a solid possession receiver in the middle of the field. Franks is also a very good blocker who "Pro Football Weekly" recently named the ninth best tight end in the league.

"What I see in Bubba is he's a short to medium guy in the passing game," Jagodzinski said. "He's a guy that can move the sticks for you and get first downs, and that's really what you want tight ends to be able to do. He's a superb blocker. He's really going to be good on the edge for our running game."

Green Bay's most explosive tight end could be Lee. The Packers signed Lee five days before their regular-season opener last year. And he was one of the biggest surprises in their dismal season.

Lee (6-4, 248) led Green Bay's tight ends in receptions (33) and receiving yards (294) last season. And his first two receptions were for touchdowns.

Lee is probably Green Bay's most athletic tight end, running the 40-yard dash in 4.62 seconds. He has the potential to get vertical, listens well to coaching and could be an even greater contributor after a full training camp with the team.

"It kind of surprised me that the coaches asked me to do so many things," Lee said of his 2005 season. "I'm really blessed by that. I got more snaps than I ever dreamed of.

"But man, this is the way I look at it: each year, you're either going to get better or you're going to get worse. You don't ever stay the same. (This) year, I'm expecting a lot more out of myself and a whole lot more big plays. I want to make a lot more explosive plays."

Martin has always had the ability to make explosive plays. Doing it was another story.

In 2005, though, Martin had his best year as a pro. Martin finished with 27 catches, led the tight ends group with three touchdowns and his blocking was better than any other time in his Green Bay career.

Martin missed four games, bringing his five-year total to 21. And he averaged just 8.3 yards per reception.

But Martin proved last season he's more than a career "tease" and he's already given Green Bay more than the average sixth-round draft choice ever does.

"I thought I did some good things when I got the chance," Martin said. "Now I definitely want to build on that. We've got a pretty good group of tight ends here, I think as good as any in football. So when I get my chances, I just want to take advantage."

Martin's far too exuberant when comparing Green Bay's tight end collection to the NFL's best. Teams such as New England, Dallas and Tennessee have far more explosiveness and productivity than the Packers do.

But Green Bay's group of tight ends rivals Minnesota's as the best in the NFC North. And if used properly, could have a highly productive season.

"Obviously being a former tight ends coach, I know what that position can bring an offense," Jagodzinski said. "And we've got a group here that can do some damage.

"Bubba's caught a ton of passes and has been big for us through most of his career. David Martin has come on and I like what I've seen from Donald Lee. I think top to bottom, we can stack our guys up against almost anybody's."

From the July 20, 2006 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel