PDA

View Full Version : Progress made with Raji deal

gobias
08-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Hopefully the Pack can get this wrapped up soon and get Raji into camp!

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090809/PKR01/90809029/1058

pbmax
08-10-2009, 09:45 AM
At this point I don't care if the Packers have to blow the curve, as long as it not DHB money. We need all hands on deck.

And a faith healer. I want Clay Matthews hamstring healed yesterday. Maybe Penn and Teller.

woodbuck27
08-10-2009, 09:55 AM
In front of Raji, the closest player who has signed is Oakland receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey, the No. 7 pick whose five-year, $38.25 million deal includes $23.5 million in guarantees.

So what's the problem?

Offer him a 5 year deal for $35 Million and $20.5 Million in guarantees. We need his body in TC.

GO PACKERS!

oregonpackfan
08-10-2009, 10:08 AM
For me, true "progress" is defined as signing the guy and getting him practicing in camp!

Fritz
08-10-2009, 10:37 AM
All I can say is that this guy better not come in way out of shape and proceed to get hurt.

MichiganPackerFan
08-10-2009, 11:47 AM
All I can say is that this guy better not come in way out of shape and proceed to get hurt.

Seriously. If that happens, I will personally drive all the way to Green Bay, look him straight in the eye and deliver a swift, solid kick to his genitals and then walk away without so much as a backwards glance.

Rastak
08-10-2009, 12:21 PM

Seriously. If that happens, I will personally drive all the way to Green Bay, look him straight in the eye and deliver a swift, solid kick to his genitals and then walk away without so much as a backwards glance.

Don't miss or we'll never see you again. :)

bobblehead
08-10-2009, 12:22 PM
In front of Raji, the closest player who has signed is Oakland receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey, the No. 7 pick whose five-year, $38.25 million deal includes $23.5 million in guarantees.

So what's the problem?

Offer him a 5 year deal for $35 Million and $20.5 Million in guarantees. We need his body in TC.

GO PACKERS!

If we are giving that much to a guy who never played a down in the NFL we might as well have resigned cory williams who at least was a proven inside pass rusher.

packers11
08-10-2009, 12:30 PM

So what's the problem?

GO PACKERS!

If we are giving that much to a guy who never played a down in the NFL we might as well have resigned cory williams who at least was a proven inside pass rusher.

Welcome to the NFL DRAFT... Having a top 10 pick makes no sense from a money standpoint, especially if he turns out to be a bust...

It needs to be fixed ASAP...

Lurker64
08-10-2009, 12:57 PM
According to Bedard's twitter (http://twitter.com/Greg_A_Bedard/)

There has been no progress in the Raji talks. Packers aren't going to do anything until No. 8 Eugene Monroe signs

Ohwell...

red
08-10-2009, 01:15 PM
so it now sounds like its not raji's fault at all.

its the packers that are waiting

don't be so quick to try and make this guy out to be the bad guy, just because the guys drafted around him are screwing things up. this guy has the talent and personality to be a fan favorite for many years to come

Patler
08-10-2009, 01:28 PM
so it now sounds like its not raji's fault at all.

its the packers that are waiting

don't be so quick to try and make this guy out to be the bad guy, just because the guys drafted around him are screwing things up. this guy has the talent and personality to be a fan favorite for many years to come

I suspect both are content to wait. Essentially, you have heard no complaints whatsoever from either side. The team hasn't complained about him not be there, or about the agent being unreasonable. There has been no word from Raji's agent, no complaints about the Packers being unwilling to talk. Nothing from either side.

Leads me to believe both are content to let this play out however it will with the others closer to him in the draft before they finalize his deal.

Waldo
08-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Question.....

Who was the last player to hold out in GB and go on to have a good career afterwards with GB?

Sharpe, Michaels, Freeman, McKenzie, Walker, Franks, Grant, Raji

At least McKenzie had a good career elsewhere, Grant had a down year. Then again, the rest of Freeman and Franks' years were down years, Michaels career was a down year, Sharpe had a career ending injury shortly thereafter, same with Walker (essentially).

Holding out in GB is like being on the cover of Madden.

HarveyWallbangers
08-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Seems like Ken Ruettgers held out every year.

Patler
08-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Question.....

Who was the last player to hold out in GB and go on to have a good career afterwards with GB?

At least McKenzie had a good career elsewhere, Grant had a down year. Then again, the rest of Freeman and Franks' years were down years, Michaels career was a down year, Sharpe had a career ending injury shortly thereafter, same with Walker (essentially).

Rodgers missed something like 3 days before he signed.
Hawk missed one day, not sure if it included an actual practice or not.

red
08-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Question.....

technically, i don't think you can call this a hold out, seeings how he isn't under contract. in fact there hasn't even been a contract presented to him to be able to sign

so i think we might have our loophole

Patler
08-10-2009, 02:52 PM

I think he held out twice some years! :lol:
Seriously, did the guy only sign one year contracts? It did seem like he was always holding out.

MichiganPackerFan
08-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Wasn't Barnett so excited to get to camp he was waiting in a nearby parking lot?

Kiwon
08-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Yeah, Barnett was in his car and waiting to get the word of his deal so that he could join TC.

It's just too bad that the business side of things couldn't be taken care before TC. I know everybody waits for the upper tier guys to get their deals so as to gauge what their deals should be but the different scenarios should already be basically prepared.

Doesn't LegalZoom have a template for rookie contracts? :)

KYPack
08-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Every year, it takes me a couple weeks to remember where you find this chart:

Signing status of 2009 NFL Draft first-round picks
NFL.com

Pk Player Pos. Team Status Contract
1. Matthew Stafford QB Detroit Signed 6 years, $72 million ($41.7M guaranteed)
2. Jason Smith OT St. Louis Signed 5 years, $61.775 million ($33M guaranteed)
3. Tyson Jackson DE Kansas City Signed 5 years, $57 million ($31M guaranteed)
4. Aaron Curry LB Seattle Signed 6 years, $60 million ($34M guaranteed)
5. Mark Sanchez QB N.Y. Jets Signed 5 years, $60 million ($28M guaranteed)
6. Andre Smith OT Cincinnati Unsigned
7. Darrius Heyward-Bey WR Oakland Signed 5 years, $38.25 million ($23.5M guaranteed)
8. Eugene Monroe OT Jacksonville Unsigned
9. B.J. Raji DT Green Bay Unsigned
10. Michael Crabtree WR San Francisco Unsigned
11. Aaron Maybin DE Buffalo Unsigned
12. Knowshon Moreno RB Denver Signed 5 years, $23 million ($13M guaranteed)
13. Brian Orakpo DE Washington Signed 5 years, $20 million ($12.1M guaranteed)
14. Malcolm Jenkins CB New Orleans Agreed 5 years, up to $19 million
15. Brian Cushing LB Houston Signed 5 years, $18 million ($10.435M guaranteed)
16. Larry English DE San Diego Signed 5 years, $17.8 million ($9.9M guaranteed)
17. Josh Freeman QB Tampa Bay Signed 5 years, $36 million (10.25M guaranteed)
18. Robert Ayers LB Denver Signed 5 years
19. Jeremy Maclin WR Philadelphia Signed 5 years, $15.5 million ($9.5M guaranteed)
20. Brandon Pettigrew TE Detroit Signed 5 years, $14.6 million ($9.4M guaranteed)
21. Alex Mack C Cleveland Signed 5 years, $15 million ($8.3M guaranteed)
22. Percy Harvin WR Minnesota Signed 5 years, $14.25 million ($8.4M guaranteed)
23. Michael Oher OT Baltimore Signed 5 years, $13 million ($7.82M guaranteed)
24. Peria Jerry DT Atlanta Signed 5 years, $13.25 million ($7.55M guaranteed)
25. Vontae Davis CB Miami Signed 5 years, $13.3 million ($7.35M guaranteed)
26. Clay Matthews LB Green Bay Signed 5 years, $13.2 million ($7.1M guaranteed)
27. Donald Brown RB Indianapolis Signed 5 years, $12.835 million ($6.845M guaranteed)
28. Eric Wood C Buffalo Signed 5 years, $13 million ($6.5M guaranteed)
29. Hakeem Nicks WR N.Y. Giants Signed 5 years, $12.54 million ($6M guaranteed)
30. Kenny Britt WR Tennessee Signed 5 years, $12.25 million ($6.5M guaranteed)
31. Chris "Beanie" Wells RB Arizona Signed 5 years, $11.8 million ($6.345M guaranteed)
32. Evander "Ziggy" Hood DT Pittsburgh Signed 5 years, $11.3 million ($6.1M guaranteed)

I really don't think this wait is all Raji's "fault". There is a hole in the slots every year that takes awhile to sort out.

I say he signs after Monroe. 5 years 35 million (19 mil gar).

Crabtree and A. Smith will be the last two signed.

Waldo
08-10-2009, 04:09 PM
All the reports out of Jax I've read indicate Jax isn't even close.

One of the parties has to cave on the windfall line, last year Jax proved it won't be the FO (they had the same slot last year). #8 will continue to be a yearly holdout until a FO caves, then #9 is a holdout.

Monroe won't be signed until he figures that out.

Big fuss is if Jax's FO caves, Raji's agent can try to push the line down. Crabtree OTOH is trying to bust the system and push the line past 10, which Maybin is waiting on.

We are a long ways from the next contract signing unless Raji decides enough with this foolishness and orders his agent to get him signed now.

KYPack
08-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Maybin's signing wouldn't help?

The Bengals won't move on Smith. Bengal owner Mike Brown has let #1's go unsigned for a year before. Jax? Yer right, they won't move.

Can't the Pack make the "KY offer"? 19 mil guaranteed sound like the right number. This signing is a key for our D. The prices are about set even if a couple hard-liners (and the teams left are hard-liners) won't do anything. Shit why are we grouped w/ Jax, Cincy, Buffalo and those guys?

I've never understood how Jax even got a freakin' team.

Bretsky
08-10-2009, 05:42 PM
If we have to wait for the Jags we're screwed; I think their 1st round pick last year missed nearly all of TC as well

retailguy
08-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Shit why are we grouped w/ Jax, Cincy, Buffalo and those guys?

Oh, I don't know. 6-10 might have something to do with it. :twisted:

pbmax
08-10-2009, 08:11 PM

I think he held out twice some years! :lol:
Seriously, did the guy only sign one year contracts? It did seem like he was always holding out.
He was Brett before Brett was. :lol: But he held out, contract or no, to save his knees.

I remember when he came back the year of the Super Bowl run and just couldn't do it anymore. Holmgren and others had really cajoled him into giving another shot and he wasn't the same. Holmgren could be brutal to guys missing camp (Dorsey Levens anyone?) but he was pretty kind to Ruettgers if I recall.

KYPack
08-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Shit why are we grouped w/ Jax, Cincy, Buffalo and those guys?

Oh, I don't know. 6-10 might have something to do with it. :twisted:

When ya play bad, it's bad luck to grouped in the draft with shitty teams that are cheap organizations.

I say we sign Raji around the 3rd pre-season game.

pbmax
08-10-2009, 11:21 PM
Brandt at the National Football Post states that Aaron Maybin's agent (11th pick overall-Bills) has told people his current strategy is the "Crabtree market". In other words, wait for Michael to sign.

Brandt also does not believe Parker was behind the sudden influx of stories about Crabtree staying out the entire year. He calls is the "herd" effect. Non-professionals around the player.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Dont-expect-Crabtree-to-sit-out-season.html

Bretsky
08-11-2009, 06:48 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/52922982.html

As I and others have noted earlier waiting for the Jags, if we are, will not help us much

pbmax
08-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Bedard (via PFT) has Raji leaving Green Bay.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/52995532.html

He got a tip from someone who saw him at the airport and then confirmed it with the airline. Raji was flying to Chicago.

Partial
08-11-2009, 08:28 PM
This draft class sure has some big egos and some trouble for being a twenty year shitty draft. Crabtree is being a first rate weiner.

Rastak
08-11-2009, 09:04 PM
I have an rss feed to Fantasy Football headlines and they had this just now....

Unsigned Packers first-round pick B.J. Raji was spotted departing Green Bay late Tuesday.
An employee at Green Bay's international airport confirmed that "Busari Raji," B.J.'s birth name, departed for Chicago at around 7PM ET. The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel says it's a bad sign that Raji left the area unsigned.

Chevelle2
08-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Its like a free agent

:lol:

SnakeLH2006
08-12-2009, 01:18 AM
Raji will sign soon......

Guiness
08-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Bedard (via PFT) has Raji leaving Green Bay.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/52995532.html

He got a tip from someone who saw him at the airport and then confirmed it with the airline. Raji was flying to Chicago.

Maybe he's going down there to scout their offense? :shock: :shock:

:cry: :cry:

woodbuck27
08-15-2009, 03:40 PM

So what's the problem?

I was too generous. He gets:

A five-year deal worth $28.5 million, according to an NFL source familiar with the numbers. The guaranteed portion of the contract is worth just under $18 million. The main thing is both sides compromised and were happy to get Raji in TC. Up and started.

GO PACKERS!